Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:47 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (818689 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:33am On Feb 03, 2015
gcey2k:
Good afternoon all,
I just received a mail notifying the occupants of my flat of not paying for TV license after several warnings. That they will send some people to come check the house for any evident of TV usage which might lead to court prosecution. I along with two other friends just rented that flat last Sunday and we dont use any TV.

I know the mail may have been intended for the previous occupants of the room. I have the option to call them to notify them of this but I still want to ask of the best way to approach such issues.

Furthermore, they stated that even if you watch TV with other devices like PCs and mobile phones, you are still required to pay the license. My question is does this include Live Match Streaming? And maybe Video (Music/Movie) online watching? Cos that's the only thing I and my flatmates do. And we have subscribed for that with our wi-fi provider.

We have some old TVs stored somewhere in the house that I dont know if they are working. Hope this will not be a sort of negative evidence should there be an investigation?

Thanks.

cc Justwise, SpikesC, DisGuy,
Reminds me of the time i spent in the UK. I can't even count how many warnings I and my flatmates received.... infact they send them in various colours to show how serious they were and that they mean business...shi shi we no pay. We didn't have a tv anyway but we had laptops from streaming tv contents.
Justwise is right. Although they hardly visit but if they do and catch you watching tv or streaming live contents on your laptop or phone...then that is serious wahala, the remedy is don't open the door to anyone without verifying who they are... grin
cos if dem nabb u .. na gobe.
The one i don't joke with is council tax.... angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 7:50am On Feb 03, 2015
saxywale:

Reminds me of the time i spent in the UK. I can't even count how many warnings I and my flatmates received.... infact they send them in various colours to show how serious they were and that they mean business...shi shi we no pay. We didn't have a tv anyway but we had laptops from streaming tv contents.
Justwise is right. Although they hardly visit but if they do and catch you watching tv or streaming live contents on your laptop or phone...then that is serious wahala, the remedy is don't open the door to anyone without verifying who they are... grin

If you were a student, council tax should have been free!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 3:12pm On Feb 03, 2015
saxywale:

Tnx Boss... I'm still waiting for them but hoping they don't come wink

Which one come be council Tax again?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 10:44pm On Feb 03, 2015
gcey2k:

Tnx Boss... I'm still waiting for them but hoping they don't come wink

Which one come be council Tax again?

Don't worry about council tax for now(uni students don't pay).
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 1:53am On Feb 04, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Don't worry about council tax for now(uni students don't pay).

Tnx Boss.... sighs...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:08am On Feb 04, 2015
gcey2k:

Tnx Boss.... sighs...

If, everyone in the house is a student

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 3:13am On Feb 04, 2015
gcey2k:

Tnx Boss.... sighs...

But you will still have to collect a council tax exemption certificate, from student service and forward to your respective council office.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mhoreh: 10:42am On Feb 04, 2015
They are definitly going to apply for a visiting visa, i have a friend that invited her younger sister last year and stated in it that she would be staying with her for the period and attached her school ID card and enrolment letter to the invitation letter...... My brother is just 12 and cant travel alone, what i have issues with is how to specify accomodation plans for my mum

Lexusgs430:

What would underpin their applications? You obviously cannot submit enough documentations to support both applications(not unless you can)!!!
They would have to both apply for visiting or tourist visas and the weight of whatever documentations they might have, would determine which way the applications swing!!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 11:05am On Feb 04, 2015
mhoreh:
They are definitly going to apply for a visiting visa, i have a friend that invited her younger sister last year and stated in it that she would be staying with her for the period and attached her school ID card and enrolment letter to the invitation letter...... My brother is just 12 and cant travel alone, what i have issues with is how to specify accomodation plans for my mum

Is your present accommodation suitable for all?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2015
Lexusgs430:

But you will still have to collect a council tax exemption certificate, from student service and forward to your respective council office.

Ok Boss... Tnx

spikesC:

If, everyone in the house is a student

Sure, everyone is... tnx Boss...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2015
Any link up for girls in london...I never get luck for any girl since

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 06, 2015
How about a thread for students who want to meet people close to them?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:24pm On Feb 07, 2015
dolapobello1:
How about a thread for students who want to meet people close to them?

nice business idea here!! create an app!! grin

unlike years gone past; when fees were 'affordable', jobs were flowing,psw visa, international students were living the full experience
now everyones eyes on the pounds and pennies!! socalising networking has taken a back seat
so unfair considering how cold and lonely the whole experience can be from students from very socialable environments

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2015
DisGuy:

unlike years gone past; when fees were 'affordable', jobs were flowing,psw visa, international students were living the full experience
now everyones eyes on the pounds and pennies!! socalising networking has taken a back seat
so unfair considering how cold and lonely the whole experience can be from students from very socialable environments

So true. Eastern Europeans makes it even harder, companies are spoilt with options.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 07, 2015
DisGuy:

So I created a thread for that purpose here: https://www.nairaland.com/2135329/networking-thread-nigerian-students-uk#30513157

I hope it's a sensible idea.

All we need now are contributors.
cc: Justwise, SpikesC, DisGuy, gcey2k, mhoreh, obipyper, Dfavouredone, Harmony222, esosa4real, milychocs, pato231, tmosco, olukenzo, GeneralShepherd, diddy62, ochukoccna, ironbender101, royalsweetness, Eyituoyo, paradisewoods, marieolae, adaobi123, wierdpsycho, DFAM, kingsilly, Anyi3, sassybee, DSSHQ, sunvick, Pinopinoguy, hydrazone, MallamYahaya, Finafina, jcaribie, LabourParty, mayo47, Olisedinma, alizenbohr... even if you haven't been mentioned, Feel free to check out the thread and introduce yourself.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:32pm On Feb 07, 2015
obipyper:

www.vivastreet.co.uk

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 4:59pm On Feb 07, 2015
Lexusgs430:

www.vivastreet.co.uk
na wa o online wooing things lols
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2015
guardian09:

na wa o online wooing things lols

Yes o. Nah money e go chop !!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:02pm On Feb 07, 2015
Lexusgs430:

www.vivastreet.co.uk

Did you just give him a link to a classified ads website grin grin

obipyper:

Lol...If you ain't lucky in real life, what makes you think it would be different online

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 6:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
spikesC:

Did you just give him a link to a classified ads website grin grin

Lol...If you ain't lucky in real life, what makes you think it would be different online

If he has the funds to relax hin agroo, he might find his match online.
NB: Money for hand ...................
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Feb 07, 2015
its been so long grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:17am On Feb 08, 2015
The hustle is real
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:16am On Feb 09, 2015
How can I apply to middlesex uni
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:15am On Feb 09, 2015
troubled:

Go to their website
make application
pay fees
get visa.

SIMPLE!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 10:46am On Feb 09, 2015
troubled:
what course did you intend to do at middlesex, is it an undergraduate course? you might have to make your application through the regional office at Dubai.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:24pm On Feb 09, 2015
guardian09:

what course did you intend to do at middlesex, is it an undergraduate course? you might have to make your application through the regional office at Dubai.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:44pm On Feb 09, 2015
guardian09:

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 2:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

@ spikesC
If he intends doing a Postgraduate Course he can get the International Merit Award which is £2000 and get better attention as regards Visa support etc if he applied through the regional office than if he applied directly to the school. Not that he cant get all this if he applies directly to the school but the regional office will give him a much better service/attention. I am saying this from experience.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
guardian09:
@ spikesC
If he intends doing a Postgraduate Course he can get the International Merit Award which is £2000 and get better attention as regards Visa support etc if he applied through the regional office than if he applied directly to the school. Not that he cant get all this if he applies directly to the school but the regional office will give him a much better service/attention. I am saying this from experience.

He wants to apply to a school in the UK and you are talking about regional office in Dubai? What is difficult about getting admission and visa? Any student who can not do simple admission and visa application should not bother leaving Nigeria, all the info you need is online and why would you pay an agent to complete a form for you?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2015
justwise:

He wants to apply to a school in the UK and you are talking about regional office in Dubai? What is difficult about getting admission and visa? Any student who can not do simple admission and visa application should not bother leaving Nigeria, all the info you need is online and why would you pay an agent to complete a form for you?
Bro maybe you misunderstood me the regional office is not an agent/agency they are like a branch office of the school in London and also handle admission in Africa and the Middle East. I never said he could not get admission by applying to the school directly.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mhoreh: 9:30am On Feb 10, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Is your present accommodation suitable for all?
i stay in a house share, in the artic my room is big enuf for 3 of us since they are spending just few weeks and theres an extra single bed dropped on the floor..... so we should be ok with that

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (213) (Reply)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.