Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,538 members, 7,905,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 05:34 AM

Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks (3327 Views)

"I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War / Norway Apologizes For Selling Military Wares To Nigerian Insurgents / Meet Zulu King Godwill Zwelithi Whose Remarks Launched The Xenophobic Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by adconline(m): 2:56am On Oct 22, 2007
Dr Watson's highest achievement is his Noble prize in medicine of which a black intellectual mind like Soyinka won in literature. If he were to say this thirty years ago, Indians and Chinese would be included. Thank God Indians and Chinese have proven them wrong. There is no empirical evidence to support his racist remarks. This is another white PC like when Chris Dodd touted Barack Obama as the most qualified black person to run for White House. By the way FOX NEWS says horrible things too " Barack Obama, a black candidate who surrounds himself with only white advisers'' can someone read between these lines and tell me if there is much difference.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Oct 22, 2007
adconline:

Dr Watson's highest achievement is his Noble prize in medicine of which a black intellectual mind like Soyinka won in literature. If he were to say this thirty years ago, Indians and Chinese would be included. Thank God Indians and Chinese have proven them wrong. There is no empirical evidence to support his racist remarks. This is another white PC like when Chris Dodd touted Barack Obama as the most qualified black person to run for White House. By the way FOX NEWS says horrible things too " Barack Obama, a black candidate who surrounds himself with only white advisers'' can someone read between these lines and tell me if there is much difference.

I actually applaud the fact that you at least see this part
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by adconline(m): 3:33am On Oct 22, 2007
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by bibiking1(m): 4:42am On Oct 22, 2007
Black is BAD, white does not exist
our true colours are never spoken truthfully,
rather they always chose to demean my race,
by calling me BLACK

BLACK? A messenger of satan? harbinger of evil?
Mba! i am not black
and God forbids it that i am BLACK
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by bibiking1(m): 4:49am On Oct 22, 2007
Black is BAD, white does not exist
our true colours are never spoken truthfully,
rather they always chose to demean my race,
by calling me BLACK

BLACK? A messenger of satan? harbinger of evil?
Mba! i am not black
and God forbids it that i am BLACK
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by denex: 6:34am On Oct 22, 2007
@Kobojunkie

your own job on this thread is just to hail people who associate with blackness. To what benefit is what I don't know.

As for your memo not reaching your black artistes, I won't really bother about those. They have a really long way to go because 200 years on, they still call themselves niggers.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 12:35pm On Oct 22, 2007
denex:

@Kobojunkie

your own job on this thread is just to hail people who associate with blackness. To what benefit is what I don't know.

As for your memo not reaching your black artistes, I won't really bother about those. They have a really long way to go because 200 years on, they still call themselves niggers.

I am sorry if you want to believe YOUR BLACK IS BAD POEMS is the reality of all persons,  I do not @Denex,  I am full Blooded,  I have met people who say they are black and they are proud to be. So what?? should I then put their argument for their claimed color to the side cause I met someone like you in a forum?? HECK NO!!! If you want to believe your BLACK IS BAD THEORY,  I am sorry ,  I can not just blindly Jump on the same band wagon with you. Life does not work that way at all for me and apparently for majority out there who are BLACK AND PROUD!! @Denex

To many the color White and Black are just used to represent different people with shades that differ. They do not plan or intend to read nothing more into it as you have. So should we all cling to your idea or something ?? No,  I am african and I am proud to be one and if someone things that makes me a black person and it wets his noodle, so be it. I am not afraid of colors or labels man chooses to label himself and others.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by loma(m): 3:30am On Oct 23, 2007
Are Black People Less Intelligent?
Simon Kolawole Live!, Email: simonkolawole@thisdayonline.com, 10.21.2007

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

American Nobel Prize-winning scientist, James Watson, stirred controversy last week when the Sunday Times of London quoted him as suggesting that black people were less intelligent than whites. He was quoted as saying he was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all testing says not really.” After an outrage, Watson, who won the Nobel in 1962 for his joint work on the discovery of the molecular structure of the DNA, has denied those comments, saying: “I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said… There is no scientific basis for such a belief.”
Whether or not he said it, there is no denying the fact that this argument has always existed in one form or the other. Some white scientists have written essays and made propositions in the direction that blacks are less intelligent than whites. There are those who believe that the Caucasian whites are the most intelligent in the human race. And they do not stop at that: they place the blacks at the lowest level among all the races. Political correctness would not allow many to voice this out openly, but it is a feeling of superiority that manifests in an attitude which could be condescending or even patronising.
As a black man, if you ask if blacks are less intelligent than whites, my instinctive answer would be a capital NO. I wouldn’t think twice before saying that – and it would be based more on emotions than an attempt to argue with verifiable facts. I should be proud that I am black, except I am Michael Jackson. Personally, I do not believe I am intellectually inferior to any white person. A white man could be more intelligent than I am but that would not be because of the colour of my skin. It would be because human beings are generally gifted differently. After all, the IQ of all white people is not the same; therefore, one person will always be more gifted than the other, and that has nothing to do with pointed nose. All white people are not equally gifted; all black people are not equally gifted.
Let’s say that is an emotional argument. There is a scientific way IQ is tested. IQ tests are intended to determine the speed of thought, soundness of reasoning and sense of organisation. It is a very good test of mental capability and creative ability. Thus, maybe scientists should perform the “race experiment” once and for all so that we can have a scientific conclusion. For such an experiment to be performed, however, the samples must not enjoy one advantage above the others. If you are going to test 50 black persons and 50 white persons, it would make sense to test people who grew up in similar environment under similar conditions, exposure, temperature and humidity. Then conduct similar tests on their intelligence. These tests should be conducted across social classes, sexes and geographical locations.
In fact, let a white boy be born in Ajegunle, drink Ajegunle water, eat Ajegunle food and go to Ajegunle school. Compare him with a similar Ajegunle boy and let’s see the result. I have a feeling they are likely to rank on a similar scale. This would tend to support those who argue that intelligence is a related to “nurture” and not “nature”. Intelligence is not genetically determined, this school of thought argues. The Watson argument – though denied by him – suggests that intelligence is related to “nature”.
But my Ajegunle experiment may not work. In reality, the entrenched social order tends to make black people believe that they are inferior. It is somehow embedded mentally and physically. I don’t know if it has to do with hundreds of years of slavery. Whatever the reason may be, the black person typically defers to the white person. Therefore, the Ajegunle black boy and the Ajegunle white boy may still have different mentalities, reinforcing prejudices and keeping intact the established social order which places blacks at the bottom of the ladder.
Our people often argue that Nigerians, and black people, do well in Western schools. Many of them come tops in their classes. However, this is not strictly intelligence but brilliance, although the borderline is very thin. Intelligence, as distinguished from brilliance, is “creative”. Brilliance is more of an ability to reproduce what intelligence has created. For instance, someone came up with the theory of gravity. That is intelligence at work. Someone else studies the theory, takes an exam in it and scores 100 per cent – that is brilliance. You cannot be intelligent without being brilliant but you can be brilliant without being too intelligent. I may be wrong with the way I have tried to distinguish between the two, but that is the best way I can think of now for the purpose of this article.
I think the argument that white supremacists should be making instead is that in PRACTICE, whites have DEMONSTRATED more intelligence than blacks. That can be argued with facts and figures. That is empirically verifiable. But to prove in the laboratory that whites are more intelligent than blacks, there is not such a chance. Watson himself said it in his rebuttal: “There is no scientific basis for such a belief”. It would be easier to prove that the world is flat than to prove that Africans are genetically inferior to whites. However, it does not take a genius to prove that Africans have shown in practical terms that they are not making use of their intelligence. If I were a white person, I would certainly feel superior to blacks. All I need do is take a look at a country like Nigeria and reach my conclusions. The evidence of retarded intelligence – or misuse of it – is there for all to see. And maybe I can begin to call up a few witnesses into the box now.
One, a Nigerian governor or president travels to London or New York. He sees a very beautiful environment and a system that works. Water flows, lights never blink, roads are smooth, drainages are covered, public transportation is excellent, technology works for everybody. He looks around and says: “Wow, what a beautiful place!” You would expect him to say: “I will go back to Nigeria and replicate this.” But, no, his next statement is: “I will come and buy a mansion here.” Is that the limit of his IQ or should we still be blaming slave trade for that?
My second witness is the Lagos lagoon. They have something very similar to our lagoon in London. It is called Thames. Businesses that generate billions of pounds yearly have been built around the Thames by the British. The London Eye alone is a money spinner. I don’t have the figures, but I can guess that thousands of people make a living selling things at the tourist centres developed along the Thames River. There is also a resort by the sea in Brighton. It is called Brighton Pier. Just like the London Eye, it is a big employer of labour. But what do we have around our lagoon and beaches in Lagos? White garment people shouting “jah jah hura”. Somewhere around Idumota-Ijora axis, people stoop on the bridge to defecate into the lagoon. In fact, there is a legend there: “Shit and pay”! If I were white, there is no way I wouldn’t rate blacks as less intelligent.
Because of time, I will call just one more witness for today before we adjourn. Let’s go to Zimbabwe for this one. A friend who schooled in the country and returned home last year told me this story: “There was a cattle farm Robert Mugabe seized from a white farmer. This was a farm where the man was multiplying cows and selling them large scale, producing dairy products and beef. Mugabe seized the farm and gave it to a black farmer. The black man started eating the cows. By the time I left, nothing was on the farm again.”
I told this story to a senior colleague who laughed and then gave me a local example. “Zimbabwe is too far,” he said. “When I was in the secondary school in the 1970s, we used to have a British principal. We had a cattle farm that was well maintained. The principal managed this farm excellently. We were selling cattle and making money for the school. When the principal left, they brought in our own brother as principal. If his relations were having a party, he would go to the farm and give them a cow! The cows finished in no time.”
Your lordships, if I were a white man, I would actually say something worse than what was credited to Watson. The only difference will be that I will base my own argument on empirical evidence. There is no chance that a lab can support Watson’s supposed argument. It is not about nature. Rather than be angry with the white supremacists, I think this thinking should be a challenge to Africans, especially our leaders. Blacks have demonstrated all over the world that given the same opportunities as their counterparts from other races, they are up to the task. There is a giant within us that is asleep. We need to wake this giant up. We don’t know what we have because of our greed.
Agreed, we are not making as many scientific discoveries as whites. Yes, the best inventions are not made by blacks. But we cannot underestimate the fact that the world order, the social order, is not in our favour. However, for how long are we going to blame slave trade for our woes? Slave trade officially ended 200 years ago. We have to move forward consciously with focus. Other countries suffered slavery, either internally or externally. Israel is an example. Today, you cannot rate Israel as a backward country. Enough of this chip on our shoulders!
I have my own pet hypothesis: if the black race is going to make progress at all, it will be spearheaded by Nigeria. And Nigeria will never make progress when we are ruled by shameless politicians who are less interested in the common good, whose god is their bellies. For as long as education, healthcare and infrastructure – the basic ingredients for development – take second place to looting and politicking, we should not expect any magic. O yes, the Watsons of the white world will continue to propagate their racist ideologies without having to search too deep and too far for empirical evidence.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=92823
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 23, 2007
Simon Kolawale practically left my sides in stitches! grin

But what do we have around our lagoon and beaches in Lagos? White garment people shouting “jah jah hura”. Somewhere around Idumota-Ijora axis, people stoop on the bridge to defecate into the lagoon. In fact, there is a legend there: “Shit and pay”! If I were white, there is no way I wouldn’t rate blacks as less intelligent.

Priceless!! grin
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by WesleyanA(f): 4:29am On Oct 23, 2007
In reality, the entrenched social order tends to make black people believe that they are inferior. It is somehow embedded mentally and physically. I don’t know if it has to do with hundreds of years of slavery. Whatever the reason may be, the black person typically defers to the white person. Therefore, the Ajegunle black boy and the Ajegunle white boy may still have different mentalities, reinforcing prejudices and keeping intact the established social order which places blacks at the bottom of the ladder.

sad but true. and very evident in this topic too tongue

I'll have to disagree with Mr Loma though.
London in the 1800s can be compared to the picture of lagoon and beaches in Lagos. The city was DIRTY undecided with crimes and poverty all over. people pooping in the Thames won't be hard to believe if you read Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. lol
unless you want to argue that humans get progressively intelligent as time goes and that for a fact isn't true.

My Hypothesis: African countries should solid armies and colonize people. from there we'll make it. tongue
from all the history i've had, success is not always based on just intelligence/IQ. lol ruthlessness is part of it.

we need a napoleon for a leader not an einstein damn it! angry tongue
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by debosky(m): 4:39am On Oct 23, 2007
a Napoleon aka someone who kills lots of people?

we've had them - Idi Amin, Abacha, Mobutu Sese Seko, Ghaddafi, and numerous others. still hasn't helped one jot.

The Koreans never colonised anyone, yet they are doing their thing well, even after Japanese invasions and what not.

we spend $18 billion fighting wars and 'colonizing' each other, I don't see any good that has done.

There might be the 'social order' thing, but how do you explain such disorder and disarray in black dominant societies where there are few or no white men around? Is the white man the reason why hutus and tutsis were killing each other? or the Eritreans and Ethiopians?
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Nobody: 4:56am On Oct 23, 2007
WesleyanA:

London in the 1800s can be compared to the picture of lagoon and beaches in Lagos. The city was DIRTY undecided with crimes and poverty all over. people pooping in the Thames won't be hard to believe if you read Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. lol
unless you want to argue that humans get progressively intelligent as time goes and that for a fact isn't true.

First things first, try and read things properly before making flippant comments. Loma did not write the article, it was culled from Thisday newspapers.
- You cant make such a comparison between the Nigeria of 2007 and the UK of 1800's, back then they had nothing better to compare themselves with. Infact that comparison further reinforces Watson statement that not only are we unintelligent, we are decades behind the whites in our mentality.

Why should we choose to compare ourselves with 1800s Britain when we know better?

WesleyanA:

My Hypothesis: African countries should solid armies and colonize people. from there we'll make it. tongue
from all the history i've had, success is not always based on just intelligence/IQ. lol ruthlessness is part of it.

Malaysia had no army to colonise anyone, all they had was the intelligence to come here and pick a few palm oil seeds.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by WesleyanA(f): 4:57am On Oct 23, 2007
debosky:

a Napoleon aka someone who kills lots of people?

we've had them - Idi Amin, Abacha, Mobutu Sese Seko, Ghaddafi, and numerous others. still hasn't helped one jot.

The Koreans never colonised anyone, yet they are doing their thing well, even after Japanese invasions and what not.

we spend $18 billion fighting wars and 'colonizing' each other, I don't see any good that has done.

There might be the 'social order' thing, but how do you explain such disorder and disarray in black dominant societies where there are few or no white men around? Is the white man the reason why hutus and tutsis were killing each other? or the Eritreans and Ethiopians?

that is true.
i guess napoleon was really intelligent.maybe war-smart/ killing-smart. lol

but i think korea or India (Asians in general) should be more advanced than America or Europe in my opinion if it was just intelligence that determines what race does better.
compared to americans, the ones i know are extremely intelligent. except they're more passive rather than aggressive like the whites are. but then this goes back to the "entrenched social order" stuff.

whites fight among themselves too (and fight others) that's natural. theirs is probably even more disasterous. with the world wars and all. lol
it doesn't matter what race is around or not. there will always be conflict. it's inevitable. that's actually one of the best ways to gain power/influence. or if you already have it, expand it.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by WesleyanA(f): 5:06am On Oct 23, 2007
You can't make such a comparison between the Nigeria of 2007 and the UK of 1800's, back then they had nothing better to compare themselves with.

i just had to quote you on this 'cause it was hilarious. grin

i guess homo sapien specie in the 1800 had less developed brains to know not to leave their poop on the streets. but that is beside the point. lol

you bring up an important point though: measure of success determined by comparison to others.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Nobody: 5:50am On Oct 23, 2007
WesleyanA:

i just had to quote you on this 'cause it was hilarious. grin

i guess homo sapien specie in the 1800 had less developed brains to know not to leave their poop on the streets. but that is beside the point. lol

That may not be entirely so, we didnt come into this would with the knowledge of science, physics, biology and micro-biology. We learned them as developed. Would we then claim that homo erectus had a less developed brain than ours?
I'd say probably not
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2007
WesleyanA:

sad but true. and very evident in this topic too tongue

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU EVEN DO THAT We live in 2007 ,  We should be comparing ourselves with others in the same year,  are you kidding me Abuja is going world class ( from rumours I heard from the grapevine) and you are comparing Ajegunle to london in 1800

ON THE OTHER HAND, I am So Glad there are Africans who are at least Honest with themselves as the dude who wrote that article posted by LOma, That has been my argument all along. You can not debate this on an emotional level but take a good look around and you will see why such a person would arrive at such a conclusion. It is not like He made it up, the evidence is all around us all and we need to start cleaning up our act if we want to avoid such happening again. The Indians and Chinese have already escaped this themselves by proving to the world they are not to be messed with, when are we going to do the same Or Are we going to fold our hands and wait for the next time this same debate comes up again?? This practically happens like every other month now and what we do is shout down the persons who make such observations each time. How long shall we continue doing that ??
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2007
WesleyanA:

that is true.
i guess napoleon was really intelligent.maybe war-smart/ killing-smart. lol

but i think korea or India (Asians in general) should be more advanced than America or Europe in my opinion if it was just intelligence that determines what race does better.
compared to americans, the ones i know are extremely intelligent. except they're more passive rather than aggressive like the whites are. but then this goes back to the "entrenched social order" stuff.

whites fight among themselves too (and fight others) that's natural. theirs is probably even more disasterous. with the world wars and all. lol
it doesn't matter what race is around or not. there will always be conflict. it's inevitable. that's actually one of the best ways to gain power/influence. or if you already have it, expand it.

Are you confusing Book Smarts with Intelligence aka Cleverness?? @Weslyan.

Here is an example for you. Americans are not all smarty pants. They know this but note where they are in history and in the world.  Notice how each year, they ship in professionals from around the world with a promise of a chance to get the american dream and also good pay for what? So they can come over to not only build america but make a name for themselves in the NAME OF AMERICA.  grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

That is what I call Clever.

Now America partners with countries in Africa and around the world to do business,exchanging one or two things for 10 or 1000. America has a share in the world's diamond and gold reserves even though america has no gold or diamond of it's own. It has it's hands in world oil, even though it can only boast of so much oil reserves of it's own. Most of the goods sold in America are now made in foreign countries. The pound and Euro are both stronger than the dollar YET if America sneezes the world will catch a cold. Tell me that web there is not what you would call  clever aka intelligent aka brilliant?? @Weslyan

NOW FOR THE NAY SAYERS OUT THERE, I am in no way saying America is the ONLY INTELLIGENT COUNTRY OUT THERE, Please Read what I typed as is and do not READ YOUR OWN meaning into it grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by denex: 4:34pm On Oct 23, 2007
If we can enslave Europe and America for 300 years, then colonise them for 70 years, siphoning their human and natural resources, we would have been some kind of different.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 23, 2007
denex:

If we can enslave Europe and America for 300 years, then colonise them for 70 years, siphoning their human and natural resources, we would have been some kind of different.

Doesn't this prove how useless the African juju is.
Our forefathers doned on scary costumes,slaughtered a few fowls and goats yet the white man captured them, even with the feathers and eggs around their waists. grin

well this was years ago.
It couldn't be colonisation that drove madam Etteh or Alameisegha to milk us dry.

as we say in Igboland ,bekee wu agbara (The white man is a spirit)
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2007
nwando:

Doesn't this prove how useless the African juju is.
Our forefathers doned on scary costumes,slaughtered a few fowls and goats yet the white man captured them, even with the feathers and eggs around their waists. grin

well this was years ago.
It couldn't be colonisation that drove madam Etteh or Alameisegha to milk us dry.

as we say in Igboland ,bekee wu agbara (The white man is a spirit)

European/American colonization supposedly ended over 40 years ago and here we are still WHINING ABOUT HOW Slavery did this and that to all of Blacks. This is not a curse but until the Africans get their heads out of their backends and focus on the fact that they are free to live as a people and prosper, I am banking on this continuing for the next 100 years. Indians are not WHINING DAILY and blaming Britain for it's problems but somehow enslavement of a few blacks in America somehow means blacks in Africa are allowed to continue to live stupid??

Sigh!!!!
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 23, 2007
I think slavery ended over 40 years ago but I get your point.
we can't keep blaming the white man.
He is not the reason why we don't have water and electricity.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by egin(m): 6:08pm On Oct 23, 2007
I do not believe that we blacks are inferior to the whites. While scientifically we belong to the same species,
God never created us to be same as the whites, and probably we were created at times. Look at the black race all over the world, the question is how come we are always behind in everything? Just mention it.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2007
Many Africans are still Enslaved, They just do not understand that they are the ones that hold the key to the chains they have managed to shackle themselves up with. IF We live in a World were there are blacks who do not believe they are inferior and do not believe they are being oppressed but have managed to build a great life for themselves and their families alongside and even above many whites. I SAY THAT COMPLETELY cancels out any arguement that the WHITE MAN IS STILL OUR PROBLEM.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by grafikdon: 12:38am On Oct 25, 2007
NO We are not genetically wired to be morons but we have refused to discredit that repugnant concept. There's not a single stable chocolate nation. Na to stoop down sh*t for lagoon na im we sabi. Imagine somebody telling us they need N688 M to buy massage wetincall? Imagine a nation where the governors pocket 99.9% of the funds meant for the development of their states, century in century out, the same old nonsense! What a bunch of
imbeciles! We all want to go to heaven but NOBODY WANTS TO DIE! Na so them dey take go heaven?

Let me give you a hint: When we have to prove them wrong, just like the Japanese, Indians and Chinese! THAT IS THE ONLY SOLUTION. We have what it takes to get to an enviable position in every field of endeavour but until we get there, we will continue to see people calling us a bunch of nappy headed retards. . . crying foul and asking Watson to impregnate a woman from Ogbomosho so as to appease the ancestors of Nigeria is not going to cut it. When we put our house in order and get rid of undesirable elements in our midst (surprisingly, they are an insignificant minority) NOBODY will call us a nation of idiots because they will look KING OF IMBECILES.

until we get there, brothers and sisters, brace yourself for more Doctor Watsons. . . they are everywhere waiting to call you ''natural slowpoke'' anytime you make the predictable dumb move. The worst is yet to come. We continue to supply them armour to bombard the heck out of us.

Let me drop one more bomb that will rock the house:

Just this morning I was having a chat with my friend's mother and she told me (With unshakable conviction)

" See how everything is running smoothly here (New York). This shows that God created oyibo first before he used the remnants to create the black man. That is why he gave them everything and that is why we retrogress everywhere we are"

OUCH!!!!

The truth is she is DEAD WRONG but the fact is, WE SUCK! I was going to get into that argument but knowing she'd hit me with "Show me just ONE stable predominantly black nation" and knowing I have no answer to that question, I started to crack a joke about people taking a dump in the subway (yes, I did see a heap of poop in a NYC subway. . . in a predominantly black neighbourhood). . . just to change the subject.

Bottom line:

WE HAVE TO GET OUR ACTS TOGETHER. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN SHUT UP THE NAY SAYERS FOR ETERNITY.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by WesleyanA(f): 5:26am On Oct 25, 2007

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU EVEN DO THAT Huh We live in 2007 , We should be comparing ourselves with others in the same year, are you kidding me Abuja is going world class ( from rumours I heard from the grapevine) and you are comparing Ajegunle to london in 1800

Unless human brain gets bigger as time goes, or human intelligence increase with time (about 3 generations in this case), i don't find anything wrong in the comparison.

another thing you can compare is Nigeria's age at 47 (?) compared to Britain at 47. (i'm sure Britain was past 47 in the 1800s when the people were pooping in the rivers).

Until the second half of the 19th century London residents were still drinking water from the very same portions of the Thames that the open sewers were discharging into. Joseph BazalgetteSeveral outbreaks of Cholera in the mid 19th century, along with The Great Stink of 1858, when the stench of the Thames caused Parliament to recess, brought a cry for action. The link between drinking water tainted with sewage and the incidence of disease slowly dawned on the Victorians. Dr John Snow proved that all victims in a Soho area cholera outbreak drew water from the same Broad Street pump.

http://www.fidnet.com/~dap1955/dickens/dickens_london.html

this is a description of the Thames river in the 1850s. compare it to Loma's description of the Thames now. does this mean that the british people's IQ increased over time?
I'm sure the reason Ajegunle is dirty is because of the poverty there just as poverty (due to rapid industrialization) caused the people in london to defacate in the thames and live in filth.
not because some people have some inherent/ racial superiority.

The story about the african farmer who ate the cow rather than breed it like the white farmer did was stupid as well. I would eat my cow too if i was living in extreme poverty. I won't be waiting for it to breed unless i wanted to die sooner. that was actually a smart action on the part of the African in my opinion. especially if the african farmer was poorer than the white farmer which i suspect was the case.

Loma (unless i read the article wrong) is pretty much saying that even though science can't prove that we have lower intelligence, based on our cultural position in comparison to whites, we do have lower intelligence.

I think the argument that white supremacists should be making instead is that in PRACTICE, whites have DEMONSTRATED more intelligence than blacks. That can be argued with facts and figures. That is empirically verifiable.

I don't wholeheartedly agree with this.
ex. the cow example.

one thing he did a good job of is explaining the difference between "brilliance" vs "intelligence"
but he did a bad job in using this to justify the reason why black african students in white societies do well educationally. lol (a whole other topic).

you are free to share your opinions though. I really do understand the position you're coming from: "why should they be more advanced than us unless something is wrong with us" etc and i agree with you to a certain extent but I just didn't think Loma's article served any purpose other than justify Watson's claim (without the scientific proof part). He did a bad job since he himself just ended up using anecdotes as his "facts and figures." Just as bad as Watson using bad science. lol

but overall, are there aspects of american/ european culture that Africans/ asians etc should emulate? yes
are there aspects of african/asian cultures that the american/ europeans should emulate? yes

sorry, i see this whole thing in terms of culture and circumstance rather than race. as we have all agreed, It has nothing to do with genes.

That may not be entirely so, we didnt come into this would with the knowledge of science, physics, biology and micro-biology. We learned them as developed. Would we then claim that homo erectus had a less developed brain than ours?
I'd say probably not
true.
exactly, so it is the knowledge of science, physics, biology etc itself that develops rather than the human brain/ capacity to absorb the knowledge.
so the answer to why the europeans are more advanced intellecutally is because they have these foundations that we don't. not because we are stupid or anything. we started ahead (if all the tales of scientific advancement in timbuktu and all that are accurate) but due to circumstances in our history, we stagnated and i guess we probably are still stagnating or improving microscopically. lol
ex. the thread on the hausa guy creating the helicopter. There is nothing wrong with comparing it to the wright brothers since the resources available to those brothers were probably equal or less than the ones available to the hausa guy even though they live in two different generations. not that one is more intelligent than the other.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by WesleyanA(f): 6:59am On Oct 25, 2007
Many Africans are still Enslaved, They just do not understand that they are the ones that hold the key to the chains they have managed to shackle themselves up with.

just as Europe had the industrial revolution (and resource from colonization to back it among other things) that started rapid development for them,
Africa will have some sort of stuff that will cause our rapid development? just an hypothesis. tongue
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Purist(m): 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
Hi WesleyanA,

WesleyanA:

Unless human brain gets bigger as time goes, or human intelligence increase with time (about 3 generations in this case), i don't find anything wrong in the comparison.

another thing you can compare is Nigeria's age at 47 (?) compared to Britain at 47. (i'm sure Britain was past 47 in the 1800s when the people were pooping in the rivers).

I once used to reason along this line, but later on, I asked myself, how many developed countries were around back then for Britain to look up to?  You see, the issue here is that Nigeria today has a lot of developed nations to learn from.  It is indubitable that so many countries were not as developed as we are when they were about the same age as we.  But as my mom would always say to me (being the last born of the family), the last born ought to be the wisest of all children since has has elder ones to learn from by making sure he doesn't repeat their mistakes, and by learning from their shortcomings.  At this stage, I really do think that Nigeria should be ashamed of herself.

Case studies:

Singapore in 1965, when they gained independence (they're 'younger' than us), could be compared to a 'backward fishing village'.  This was at a time that our own Naira was even stronger than the USD.  But just take a look at that country today, and compare with Nigeria.   Whatever happened to Nigeria for heaven's sake?!

Malaysia is another country that gained independence about the same time as we (though 3 years earlier), but these guys have left us so far behind, and that's why our ex-president can open his mouth wide to compare us with Congo, knowing fully well that he failed woefully in his attempt (if any) to level us with better countries.

Again, Dubai is one lovely example.  This is a country that only gained full independence in 1971, but is now the dreamland of all tourists and investors worldwide.  Dubai worked to build up its infrastructure of transport facilities, schools, hospitals, tourism developments and other amenities that make up what one can proudly refer to as an advanced society today.  Even with their abundance of oil, they still had the sense to venture into other areas in order to boost their economy.  And to cap it all, these guys are sitll working even harder than ever!

So my dear WesleyanA, these are the kind of things that should trigger our powers of cogitation, both as individuals, and as a country in general.

WesleyanA:

The story about the african farmer who ate the cow rather than breed it like the white farmer did was stupid as well. I would eat my cow too if i was living in extreme poverty. I won't be waiting for it to breed unless i wanted to die sooner. that was actually a smart action on the part of the African in my opinion. especially if the african farmer was poorer than the white farmer which i suspect was the case.

Loma (unless i read the article wrong) is pretty much saying that even though science can't prove that we have lower intelligence, based on our cultural position in comparison to whites, we do have lower intelligence.
I don't wholeheartedly agree with this.
ex. the cow example.

Read this again:  “There was a cattle farm Robert Mugabe seized from a white farmer. This was a farm where the man was multiplying cows and selling them large scale, producing dairy products and beef. Mugabe seized the farm and gave it to a black farmer. The black man started eating the cows. By the time I left, nothing was on the farm again.”

“When I was in the secondary school in the 1970s, we used to have a British principal. We had a cattle farm that was well maintained. The principal managed this farm excellently. We were selling cattle and making money for the school. When the principal left, they brought in our own brother as principal. If his relations were having a party, he would go to the farm and give them a cow! The cows finished in no time.”

I think you should review that once more, the emboldened parts especially.  Loma was completely right in his cow analogy.  But since you seem to support the idea of the black man consuming the whole thing, "due to poverty", I think you should ask yourself what then became of the man eventually?  Did the consumption of the cows finally solve his poverty problem?

If you're business oriented, you will realise that the only way to tackle poverty is by effective management of your resources, no matter how little.  Your point here only reinforces Watson's remarks, which is quite sad.  If the White man had been managing the farm very well, and still had both the money and the cattles for himself, why couldn't the black man learn from that to alleviate his own 'poverty' as well?  'Investment' is the keyword here, which is what the blackman in that story doesn't realise.  Shows how low is IQ really is indeed.

WesleyanA:

you are free to share your opinions though. I really do understand the position you're coming from: "why should they be more advanced than us unless something is wrong with us" etc and i agree with you to a certain extent but I just didn't think Loma's article served any purpose other than justify Watson's claim (without the scientific proof part). He did a bad job since he himself just ended up using anecdotes as his "facts and figures." Just as bad as Watson using bad science. lol

And how on earth is that a bad job?   His facts and figures are accurate empirical evidences of Watson's claims.  Unless you're implying here that he did a bad job by supporting Watson? 

WesleyanA:

sorry, i see this whole thing in terms of culture and circumstance rather than race. as we have all agreed, It has nothing to do with genes.

You're right here. I think a more appropriate term to use here is "environment". I agree with NINETOFIVE when he explained, succinctly, that "the Europeans are not genetically superior to black people or more intelligent than Africans, but it should be noted that the nature of their environment made it possible for them to have made a lot use of their brain than Africans. we would be bunch of Idiots not to see this, the brain is like muscle tissue, the more you exercise it, the better it works".

Cheers.
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kobojunkie: 2:11pm On Oct 25, 2007
grafikdon:

NO We are not genetically wired to be morons but we have refused to discredit that repugnant concept. There's not a single stable chocolate nation. Na to stoop down sh*t for lagoon na im we sabi. Imagine somebody telling us they need N688 M to buy massage wetincall? Imagine a nation where the governors pocket 99.9% of the funds meant for the development of their states, century in century out, the same old nonsense! What a bunch of
imbeciles! We all want to go to heaven but NOBODY WANTS TO DIE! Na so them dey take go heaven?

Let me give you a hint: When we have to prove them wrong, just like the Japanese, Indians and Chinese! THAT IS THE ONLY SOLUTION. We have what it takes to get to an enviable position in every field of endeavour but until we get there, we will continue to see people calling us a bunch of nappy headed retards. . . crying foul and asking Watson to impregnate a woman from Ogbomosho so as to appease the ancestors of Nigeria is not going to cut it. When we put our house in order and get rid of undesirable elements in our midst (surprisingly, they are an insignificant minority) NOBODY will call us a nation of idiots because they will look KING OF IMBECILES.

until we get there, brothers and sisters, brace yourself for more Doctor Watsons. . . they are everywhere waiting to call you ''natural slowpoke'' anytime you make the predictable dumb move. The worst is yet to come. We continue to supply them armour to bombard the heck out of us.

Let me drop one more bomb that will rock the house:

Just this morning I was having a chat with my friend's mother and she told me (With unshakable conviction)

" See how everything is running smoothly here (New York). This shows that God created oyibo first before he used the remnants to create the black man. That is why he gave them everything and that is why we retrogress everywhere we are"

OUCH!!!!

The truth is she is DEAD WRONG but the fact is, WE SUCK! I was going to get into that argument but knowing she'd hit me with "Show me just ONE stable predominantly black nation" and knowing I have no answer to that question, I started to crack a joke about people taking a dump in the subway (yes, I did see a heap of poop in a NYC subway. . . in a predominantly black neighbourhood). . . just to change the subject.

Bottom line:

WE HAVE TO GET OUR ACTS TOGETHER. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN SHUT UP THE NAY SAYERS FOR ETERNITY.

I Concur
Re: Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks by Kingzuma: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2018
denex:
@bibiking1

you know I've always differentiated black people and niggers from Africans.

And I have made it adequately clear that nothing good can come out of black people. NOTHING!!!
That is why they are called black people.

bibiking1, if I didn't know you personally, I would have believed when you said your skin was black. Your skin is yellow. Stop claiming to be black. There is nothing black that is good. In fact, the word BLACK itself means BAD.

That's one dumb thing to say....
Oil is called black gold
Onxy is fucking beautiful...
Etc etc....
U kind of thinking is so sad am not even sure u r thinking.
Sit n think before u talk.
Have a great day.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are They So Many White People In Accra? / Russia Has Lost 2,800 Troops, 80 Tanks, 516 Armored Vehicles, 10 Airplanes, / Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.