Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,436 members, 7,881,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 12:34 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8919170 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (14230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 8:54pm On Sep 02, 2012
coogar:

i really don't think we were crap today cos of the lack of a defensive midfielder - none of the goals conceded could have been prevented by tiote/dembele or even yaya toure. I think the problem is more a general laziness of the team. we don't press at all. we let opponents stroll to the centre of the pitch before we offer any resistance to disrupt their flow!

the players still have this slight delusion that vidic/rio/carrick are what they used to be 3-4 years ago....the rest of the team tend to leave so much for the defence to do. evra/rafael are fantastic going forward but not so great at defending! they play like wingers and when we don't have the ball, they take forever to fall back into position! our biggest problem is our organisation when we don't have the ball - its horribly substandard!

We were poor for most parts.
Most teams we play these days dominate us far too easily.
They attack our fullbacks with ease and slice through our midfield without breaking sweat.

You are right, we should be pressing teams like Southampton from the front and get the ball off them as quickly as possible.
If we play a Barca side the way we played today, it could be a disaster.
We need a voice in midfield to organise things (someone that will scream and shout. Keano-ish) . . . Carrick is too quiet, Scholes barely talk - the rest are still young.

We really miss Fletcher's tenacity and combative attitude
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2012
Fergie: De Gea’s Mistake Cost Him His Place

“I think young David made a mistake last week,” he said. “He knows it. With the form he’s been in, he’s been making some fantastic saves, but one error like that could have cost us the game. It’s just a learning process for him and he’ll be back in a couple of weeks’ time.”

I hope this new found accountability will applied to other as well. I would expect Evra to be given some bench warming time soonest considering DDG made one mistake, while Patrice averages at least 3 or 4 a game but is bailed by the other defenders or DDG himself. No sacred cows.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:56pm On Sep 02, 2012
montelik:

I hope this new found accountability will applied to other as well. I would expect Evra to be given some bench warming time soonest considering DDG made one mistake, while Patrice averages at least 3 or 4 a game but is bailed by the other defenders or DDG himself. No sacred cows.

welbeck gave evra no protection at all.....fergie was daft starting welbeck in this game, it's pathetic to watch as welbeck kept drifting into the centre of the pitch leaving evra super-exposed!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 10:15pm On Sep 02, 2012
StarBoard: How's maverick Nani doing?

Sir SB I hope you noted the fantastic cross the maverick delivered to seal the three points. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 11:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
While there will a lot semantics about Scholes changing the game, Welbeck being shyte, Tom C not up to task. This struck as another one of those games where we played majority of the game in a fashion that doesn't suit us before we adjusted after falling behind with time running out. When we went to 4-4-2 bringing on Nani and Scholes we opened up the game and became more direct. As a result Atkins had 2 choices either keep playing the same and watch as our more direct approach ripped them open creating a flurry of chances and his defenders make difficult decisions (we saw with the pk), or try consolidate and play it out. Our shape in the first half had no penetration. RVP was isolated alone and Southampton put banks of 9-10 men behind the ball snapping into challenges. Without much penetrating movement we lacked real bite despite possesion. Once we went 2 up top and 4 across midfield we opened up the game and forced Southampton to react. Then Chicharito's freshness, energy and movement in place of Welbeck opened it up even further.

Say what you will, but we are 4-4-2 team.It is our base formation and what we do well. Its what occurs most easily to us particularly considering our personel and the way opposition teams usually line up against us. We can try other stuff in Europe and against the top sides, but against all the other teams for which games against Man Utd represents their cup final, I will forever remain in favor of the 4-4-2.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:08am On Sep 03, 2012
debosky:

Sir SB I hope you noted the fantastic cross the maverick delivered to seal the three points. grin
Rio Ferdinand and Antonio Valencia each had an assist despite playing mostly rubbish.So I dont get your logic.
Nani played well tbh but I'm not convinced.
Lets see him do it more consistently over a stretch of games and against better quality opposition then I'll change my one.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:18am On Sep 03, 2012
Anybody still think our strike-force would do just fine without the "RvP" luxury!!?

I will soon go to OT and put up a banner that says "We don't need Wazza. . . " grin grin

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:24am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
At this rate we won't see any meaningful midfield play without the golden Gingerhead.
Tom Cleverley and Shinji Kagawa hardly did anything properly in the game.our best midfield axis still remains Scholes-Carrick.Which is a shame.We had a chance to move on from that but here we are still stuck on asking Scholes to orchestrate our middle.
Like RuuDie said, [b]Nani(played fairly well today) Anderson, Young and Welbeck and Cleverly [/b]are the reasons Fergie won't let Giggs and Scholes retire.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:30am On Sep 03, 2012
chamotex:

Fergie is a stubborn goat.
We are the only team in Europe without a natural DM in the whole squad.

If we buy a DM - he's going to be somewhat indispensable meaning, as in feature in most of the games - there will be so many players rendered redundant!
2 or 3 players need to leave for us to bring in a DM.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 03, 2012
Cristalz:

Ouch!

Learning some art of Modification frm mOi huh? cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 03, 2012
RuuDie:

If we buy a DM - he's going to be somewhat indispensable meaning, as in feature in most of the games - there will be so many players rendered redundant!
2 or 3 players need to leave for us to bring in a DM.
If it's all for the better, I won't mind seeing a few people go.
Right now, a DM is a modern football necessity.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 9:19am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
Rio Ferdinand and Antonio Valencia each had an assist despite playing mostly rubbish.So I dont get your logic.

I wasn't proposing any logic - I simply asked whether you saw the delivery from the player who according to you cannot cross.

I expect to hear you say those words quite frequently this season. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 03, 2012
debosky:

I wasn't proposing any logic - I simply asked whether you saw the delivery from the player who according to you cannot cross.
Since you're bringing up crosses, why am not allowed to compare his effort with Valencia's?
Nothing special.That's the point I'm getting across. It was from a corner kick.If Nani cannot take a corner at this stage of his career, it's too bad.
debosky:
I expect to hear you say those words quite frequently this season. grin
You mustn't talk just for the sake of it.
My position is as clear as daylight.Southampton isn't going to be my benchmark for performance.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 9:30am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
My position is as clear as daylight.Southampton isn't going to be my benchmark for performance.

Sure - as if you get more than 3 points for beating 'better' opposition.

Your position is as clear as mud - you can't name one winger better than Nani in the league. He outperforms your beloved Valencia in terms of end product (which you dismiss calling it 'statistics') and showed his game changing maverick qualities again yesterday.

The only thing clear in your opinion is a dislike for Nani based on his playing style.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 9:41am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
If it's all for the better, I won't mind seeing a few people go.
Right now, a DM is a modern football necessity.

I am not advocating against getting a DM; am just trying to look at it from SAF's angle - Cleverly, Ando, Carrick (depending on formation) may not get to play much if we get a DM; especially if he is a big-name, high-profile signing!

But I agree with coogar that the lads are just being too lazy. . .they spend way too much time ball-watching rather than getting stuck in giving the opposition too much time on the ball. If they work as a unit, mark and press harder together, front-to-back we won't worry too much about a DM!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:06am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
Lets see him do it more consistently over a stretch of games and against better quality opposition then I'll change my one.

you must learn to raise your hands up sometimes.....
valencia/rio had an assist each but they had 90 mins to get those chances. nani came on, he set up the van persie chance that led to the penalty and also got the assist for van persie's winner @ the death, all done in less than 30 mins! we didn't have any balance in the team until nani/scholes came on!

then the weak opposition excuse does not count too.....this same southampton led city 2-1 @ the etihad for a long period before city managed to win the match. if southampton can match city pound for pound on city's turf, what makes them a weak opposition to man utd? it is only when united play some certain teams that we deem those teams as weak....southampton are a very good hardworking side and they would give many big teams a run for their money!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 03, 2012
coogar:

you must learn to raise your hands up sometimes.....
What does this look like to you?
StarBoard:
StarBoard:
Like RuuDie said, Nani(played fairly well today)

coogar:

then the weak opposition excuse does not count too.....this same southampton led city 2-1 @ the etihad for a long period before city managed to win the match. if southampton can match city pound for pound on city's turf, what makes them a weak opposition to man utd? it is only when united play some certain teams that we deem those teams as weak....southampton are a very good hardworking side and they would give many big teams a run for their money!
Story.
Let him prove it to me against tougher opposition. I'm the one who wants to be convinced so I set the criteria by which I judge him and believe me I'm not the only one who feels this way. For crying out loud,how many of those Southampton fellas had any prior EPL experience before the start of this season?
A game in which our tactical gambit allowed Southampton to play to their strength doesn't give them any credibility in my view.
That they led City at the Etihad doesn't count as well.They lost that game, which is all that matters in the end, as they did yesterday.
If we had our manager do a half-decent team selection,Southampton wouldn't have had a chance.
Did you see how Swansea silenced them a week ago at the same St. Mary's stadium?Why didn't they give them (the Swans) the same run for their money noting how they caused a scare at the Etihad?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:07am On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
Story.
Let him prove it to me against tougher opposition. I'm the one who wants to be convinced so I set the criteria by which I judge him and believe me I'm not the only one who feels this way. For crying out loud,how many of those Southampton fellas had any prior EPL experience before the start of this season?

nani has consistently scored against tough oppositions ever since he joined man utd in 2008. in fact, he plays better against tough opponents than the easy ones. in his first season with us, chelsea were the only big team he didn't score against! so what's your point that he needs to prove you wrong?

A game in which our tactical gambit allowed Southampton to play to their strength doesn't give them any credibility in my view. That they led City at the Etihad doesn't count as well.They lost that game, which is all that matters in the end, as they did yesterday.
If we had our manager do a half-decent team selection,Southampton wouldn't have had a chance.

it was always going to be a difficult game. teams like this raise their games against the big guns. they were playing the biggest club in the land on their home turf so i expected a tough game. mid-table teams would easily go to the britannia and win there easily but the big clubs would have their work cut out to win there because tony pulis would set a different strategy for the big teams....that's the way it is!

Did you see how Swansea silenced them a week ago at the same St. Mary's stadium?Why didn't they give them (the Swans) the same run for their money noting how they caused a scare at the Etihad?

they didn't consider swansea a threat! against us, they raised their game - played like its a world cup final! by the 75th minute, they were zapped and they stopped pressing which allowed scholes to pick those passes! watch how liverpool would do the same to us when we go to anfield! arsenal won there fairly easily but united would need all the luck in this world to beat liverpool 2-0 cos the scousers would raise their game against us!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2012
Did Southampton play Swansea or Wigan?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:51am On Sep 03, 2012
chamotex: Did Southampton play Swansea or Wigan?

wigan or swansea or tp mazembe - same difference, chamotex!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 1:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
debosky:

the first decent corner Nani has taken in 7 years.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 1:32pm On Sep 03, 2012
mbulela:

Really? You catalogued all the ones he took in previous years? cheesy

Bad belle-ism for the sake of bad belle! cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 03, 2012
mbulela:
I thought it was only me who was thinking that way.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 03, 2012
coogar:
nani has consistently scored against tough oppositions ever since he joined man utd in 2008. in fact, he plays better against tough opponents than the easy ones. in his first season with us, chelsea were the only big team he didn't score against! so what's your point that he needs to prove you wrong?
You're talking of Nani scoring once only against City,Spurs,Chelsea,Arsenal and Liverpool in the League, Carling Cup,FA Cup and maybe Champions League in his 5 seasons at United.Name any of this sides that Nani has scored more than once against.
That hardly counts for consistency.So that point is mostly null and void.
Nani's consistency needs to improve in my view.
coogar:

it was always going to be a difficult game. teams like this raise their games against the big guns. they were playing the biggest club in the land on their home turf so i expected a tough game. mid-table teams would easily go to the britannia and win there easily but the big clubs would have their work cut out to win there because tony pulis would set a different strategy for the big teams....that's the way it is!
Yeah, they do. That should be a reason for United to anticipate that scenario and raise their game as well.
coogar:
they didn't consider swansea a threat! against us, they raised their game - played like its a world cup final! by the 75th minute, they were zapped and they stopped pressing which allowed scholes to pick those passes! watch how liverpool would do the same to us when we go to anfield! arsenal won there fairly easily but united would need all the luck in this world to beat liverpool 2-0 cos the scousers would raise their game against us!
True, but that assertion is based on an age-long rivalry.
Liverpool don't mind losing to Arsenal (as of now).
I really don't buy that reason.Swansea is a mid-table team at best and for a newly promoted sidethey should see that game as winnable in a bid to stay up, unless they feel they can't stay up.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
StarBoard:
You're talking of Nani scoring once only against City,Spurs,Chelsea,Arsenal and Liverpool in the League, Carling Cup,FA Cup and maybe Champions League in his 5 seasons at United.Name any of this sides that Nani has scored more than once against. That hardly counts for consistency.So that point is mostly null and void.
Nani's consistency needs to improve in my view.

on the top of my head.....
arsenal(fa cup 2007/8, emirates 2009/10)
chelsea(community shield 09/10, league last season)
man city(community shield 11/12, league 10/11)
liverpool(league 07/08) spurs(league 07/08 league 10/11)
plus countless of assists in those games to boot - he has scored against bayern, barcelona and created goals in big european match-ups - and he's not consistent?

Yeah, they do. That should be a reason for United to anticipate that scenario and raise their game as well.

united did raise their game albeit the last 10 mins of the game and won convincingly!

True, but that assertion is based on an age-long rivalry.
Liverpool don't mind losing to Arsenal (as of now).
I really don't buy that reason.Swansea is a mid-table team at best and for a newly promoted side they should see that game as winnable in a bid to stay up, unless they feel they can't stay up.

this mid-table team called swansea beat the league champions(man city) last season!!
food for thought!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 3:59pm On Sep 03, 2012
coogar:

on the top of my head.....
arsenal(fa cup 2007/8, emirates 2009/10)
chelsea(community shield 09/10, league last season)
man city(community shield 11/12, league 10/11)
liverpool(league 07/08) spurs(league 07/08 league 10/11)
plus countless of assists in those games to boot - he has scored against bayern, barcelona and created goals in big european match-ups - and he's not consistent?

Nani has scored multiple times against the top 5 sides of last season in the past 3-4 seasons (more than Valencia has done), but StarBoard is just waiting for Nani to start demonstrating consistency. grin

Waiting for the next definition of consistent. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 4:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
debosky:

Nani has scored multiple times against the top 5 sides of last season in the past 3-4 seasons (more than Valencia has done), but StarBoard is just waiting for Nani to start demonstrating consistency. grin

Waiting for the next definition of consistent. grin

nani's not consistent has to be the biggest joke on this forum. see bad belle o! they said nani is not consistent, we brought out the stats to prove his consistent productivity! they said stats don't count - errrrrrm, how do you measure productivity without numbers and stats? we let that fly.....so we asked them, name a better winger than nani so we can understand the meaning of "consistency" and nothing has been provided! starboard needs to lie down..........
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 4:23pm On Sep 03, 2012
Interesting words from Dimitar Berbatov

"I don't think I deserved such treatment at United – not playing in the last year," said Berbatov. "I went more than 10, probably 15, times to ask the coach if they need me. And every time I was told that I'm an important player and should not leave, but then again I was not in the team.

"Maybe I should've gone when he [Ferguson] left me out of the squad for the Champions League final [in 2011]. I know he's the boss, but he has lost, to some extent, my respect because of the way he treated me."
"He [Ferguson] tried to explain to me that the team will be using a more direct style, with more speed but I've never been among the fastest players, I like to hold the ball, this is my style. I found it hard to accept his decision – I still have my dignity. I scored many goals, I won the league two times, and I was the league top scorer, so it's not bad. I'll have no problems playing against United as this already happened in my career. But there's no point to look back again. I said goodbye to the people, who deserve it. I couldn't say goodbye to Ferguson."
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 4:25pm On Sep 03, 2012
The 31-year-old angered Fiorentina when he turned his back on them last Thursday, one day before the end of the transfer window. The player then rejected the chance to move to Juventus. "He did not deserve our city and our shirt and the values it represents," Fiorentina said in a statement.

Berbatov said: "It's stressful. One club called, then another, and a third, and then another. A man can go crazy at one point. I'm a human being and it's normal for me to hesitate."
"I've never personally told them, 'Yes, I'll play for you'," he said. "It's not my problem that someone is disappointed. After all, I choose where to play and be happy."

say what you like, i respect this lad.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 4:30pm On Sep 03, 2012
mbulela: Interesting words from Dimitar Berbatov

"He [Ferguson] tried to explain to me that the team will be using a more direct style, with more speed but I've never been among the fastest players, I like to hold the ball, this is my style. I found it hard to accept his decision – I still have my dignity. I scored many goals, I won the league two times, and I was the league top scorer, so it's not bad. I'll have no problems playing against United as this already happened in my career. But there's no point to look back again. I said goodbye to the people, who deserve it. I couldn't say goodbye to Ferguson."

why would he say goodbye to the gum-chewing geriatric who puts his ego before the club's glory? if he played berbatov more last season, we would have scored more goals and we might have won the title on goals difference! welbeck continued to have shitstorms after shitstorms and fergie didn't drop him for the more competent strikers.......

to make matters worse, fergie left his golden boot winner @ manchester in the champions league final! owen was preferred to dimitar and fergie told the media loud n clear that if he had to choose between owen/berbatov for a late winner/equaliser, he would choose owen

the humiliation was gut-retching! fuck ferguson!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 5:34pm On Sep 03, 2012
@ coogar

Is this the same welbeck you were praising last seaszon when some peeps called u out on how undeserving he was of a place in man u line up? Na welbeck u dey lambast like this!

Berba deserved a better treatment at United, would always respect him for what he achieved with us and his loyalty even when Fergie was trea(ing him badly.

As per Nani, maybe we shud stop using consistency or inconsistency to describe his exploits on the field. Nani is eratic to say the least, just that sometimes his eratic play produces results and the we praise him for it knowing how silly and annoying he wud look if he doesn't pull it off.Nani trries very hard to make a simple pass to his fellow player difficult The other truth is regardless of his consistent, inconsistent or eratic nature he has been quite productive, at least his stats show this.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2012
coded guy: @ coogar
Is this the same welbeck you were praising last seaszon when some peeps called u out on how undeserving he was of a place in man u line up? Na welbeck u dey lambast like this!

fergie froze berbatov out long before welbeck came back on loan. we didn't have welbeck when we played barcelona @ wembley! the new season came n he froze berba out completely. this was a player who could have easily moved to man city when we bought him. he travelled on his own to manchester to meet fergie when daniel levy wanted him @ the etihad stadium. how did we repay his loyalty? we treated him like crap!

Berba deserved a better treatment at United, would always respect him for what he achieved with us and his loyalty even when Fergie was trea(ing him badly.

there was a point last season when welbeck was doing nothing in the team - he missed chances after chances - the kinda chances berba didn't miss when the knives were out to cut dimitar! i understand fergie wanted to bed welbeck in but he overdid it at the expense of berba - which is not fair! we practically wasted one whole year of his career and he kept asking fergie if he was still needed and fergie kept lying to him he's important! it's unfair...

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (14230) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.