Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,027 members, 7,966,783 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 11:14 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (9210915 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4102) (4103) (4104) (4105) (4106) (4107) (4108) ... (14408) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:55pm On May 21, 2017
osgreat:

Nakamura of Celtic was in UCL in 2006.

2009 according to you.

That's 3 years apart. Those who saw 2009 wont even remember he was beaten in 2006.

The frequency is excusable. Van Der Sar almost got a hand to one. But DeGea stayed rooted in both inside one season. And Romero has saved twice, a new keeper comfortably saved one today.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 9:55pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

Today’s freekick could have gone in or even in via the pole, but it was saved.
You claimed VDS doesn't concede such free kicks and I've showed you some of them. Search and you'll see those conceded by Buffon and Neuer as well, unless Romero and Pereira are now better than them
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by osgreat: 10:08pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

2009 according to you.

That's 3 years apart. Those who saw 2009 wont even remember he was beaten in 2006.

The frequency is excusable. Van Der Sar almost got a hand to one. But DeGea stayed rooted in both inside one season. And Romero has saved twice, a new keeper comfortably saved one today.

It's no longer 'retiring Van der sar'.

It's no longer 'Van der sar always have control of his box'

Those are the ones I can remember without searching through the net. If I have the time to search, I'm sure I'll get more.

But odunharry remembered that he conceded that of 2006 also.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 10:09pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

2009 according to you.

So they're the only ones he conceded? You're now grabbing at frequency. VDS spent 6yrs, in a period we were top in Europe, same with DDG in our worst period in more than 2 decades. Only you can free yourself of the hatred for him.

Unto Wednesday and hoping these guys get a win whichever way they want to do it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:15pm On May 21, 2017
osgreat:

It's no longer 'retiring Van der sar'.

It's no longer 'Van der sar always have control of his box'

Those are the ones I can remember without searching through the net. If I have the time to search, I'm sure I'll get more.

But odunharry remembered that he conceded that of 2006 also.

Show me where I said Van Der Sar had never conceded such. I said he rarely conceded freekicks cheaply, and when taken with a RIGHT FOOT from that position it is easier to predict. But DeGea conceded two right foot freekicks from there.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 10:15pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

Was it not the same defence that DeGea met in 2011/2012 and the panick from crosses immediately began? Oppositions started staying with him to intimidate him, something that never happened before. The new defence you complained about is what Romero used to take us to the final. The new keeper came to ease them of aerial burden today by running out far to punch a corner kick.

Van Der Sar made crosses useless for opponents.
An ageing Vidic and Rio??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:23pm On May 21, 2017
chrisley024:
So they're the only ones he conceded? You're now grabbing at frequency. VDS spent 6yrs, in a period we were top in Europe, same with DDG in our worst period in more than 2 decades. Only you can free yourself of the hatred for him.

Unto Wednesday and hoping these guys get a win whichever way they want to do it.

Remember this argument began when I said DeGea should have anticipated that right foot freekicks from there mostly go to that same spot where he had conceded twice. Romero stopped a right from kick from there. Peirera did today. Van Der Sar's kick were taken with left foot which mostly are aimed at far post where the keeper is protecting. But the kicks were curled back to same near angle (instead of usual R2 to far post) which amounted to special tricks by the left foot taker. Messi does it. Mata used to do it.

My major problem with DeGea is lack of anticipation that the ball could go over the wall. Despite a left foot shot, Van Der Sar still went for the ball. DeGea used to go but he has regressed. I am angry at this particular lack of action on such balls coupled with his lack of aerial prowess. I am not hiding my anger because I think he invites pressure with his lack of aerial command.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:28pm On May 21, 2017
Odunharry:
An ageing Vidic and Rio??
2011/2012, I think Vidic didn't have much playing time. Same as 2012/2013.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 10:34pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

Remember this argument began when I said DeGea should have anticipated that right foot freekicks from there mostly go to that same spot where he had conceded twice. Romero stopped a right from kick from there. Peirera did today. Van Der Sar's kick were taken with left foot which mostly are aimed at far post where the keeper is protecting. But the kicks were curled back to same near angle (instead of usual R2 to far post) which amounted to special tricks by the left foot taker. Messi does it. Mata used to do it
No. Most free kicks are aimed at the post behind the wall and I've seen more free kicks scored there. Also a free kick taker can aim the ball anywhere like we saw in Willian's and Rashford's.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 10:36pm On May 21, 2017
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 10:37pm On May 21, 2017
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 11:03pm On May 21, 2017
De Gae isn't doing bad for his age and with consistency, he can be considered a great.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by osgreat: 11:12pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

Show me where I said Van Der Sar had never conceded such. I said he rarely conceded freekicks cheaply, and when taken with a RIGHT FOOT from that position it is easier to predict. But DeGea conceded two right foot freekicks from there.

Your emphasis was that De Gea even didn't make a move to save the free kick and that he was rooted to the spot. That's the reason why I brought Van der sar into the picture because as good asbVan der sar was, he has also conceded free kicks standing rooted to the spot without making a move to save at all.

Does that now make Van der sar a bad keeper because of that?

Does that now make Pereira and Romero better than De Gea and Van der sar?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 11:12pm On May 21, 2017
Odunharry:
De Gae isn't doing bad for his age and with consistency, he can be considered a great.
Lol. I dont even know what the noise is about....
The guy no save FK and we dropped points bcoz of him. Ok! What about the points we've won bcoz of him in the past??

Leave am. Let him keep wailing. DDG still remains the best GK in EPL!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 11:18pm On May 21, 2017
Lana1:
Lol. I dont even know what the noise is about....
The guy no save FK and we dropped points bcoz of him. Ok! What about the points we've won bcoz of him in the past??

Leave am. Let him keep wailing. DDG still remains the best GK in EPL!
The thing tire me o..
United haven't won the league for seasons yet David keep making EPL team of the year. Won Utd player of the season thrice too..

Make elamps kuku kill am cos them score am free kick
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:19pm On May 21, 2017
chrisley024:
No. Most free kicks are aimed at the post behind the wall and I've seen more free kicks scored there. Also a free kick taker can aim the ball anywhere like we saw in Willian's and Rashford's.

Right for mostly go to near post from there. The keeper should suspect it once it is being hit with a right foot. If you don't move on time there is no chance to get there.

Freekick aimed with the opposite foot at the post behind the wall are mostly weak or over the bar. It requires good takers to tuck it in. Like when Mata used to score for us.

Rashford's case was exceptional and the average keeper at goal made it possible. His attempt to return was poor. Ordinary, a right foot aiming from there to that angle should be an easy save because the ball goes across the goalkeeper into the goal. It shouldn't be a problem to regain balance even if a step is already taken.

This is my last post on the matter. I need to go to bed now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:24pm On May 21, 2017
osgreat:

Your emphasis was that De Gea even didn't make a move to save the free kick and that he was rooted to the spot. That's the reason why I brought Van der sar into the picture because as good asbVan der sar was, he has also conceded free kicks standing rooted to the spot without making a move to save at all.

Does that now make Van der sar a bad keeper because of that?

Does that now make Pereira and Romero better than De Gea and Van der sar?

If you go back to when this argument started against Sawnsea, you would see that my complaint was particularly that a right footer took it, and so it should have been more predictable. We have now seen two in quick succession with DeGea - against Fernabache and Swansea.

Against Fernabache, I didn’t complain but against Swansea again from same position with tight foot, haba!!!

Van Der Sar even dived full length in one and got a finger on the ball.

Good night

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by osgreat: 11:47pm On May 21, 2017
elampiro:

If you go back to when this argument started against Sawnsea, you would see that my complaint was particularly that a right footer took it, and so it should have been more predictable. We have now seen two in quick succession with DeGea - against Fernabache and Swansea.

Against Fernabache, I didn’t complain but against Swansea again from same position with tight foot, haba!!!

Van Der Sar even dived full length in one and got a finger on the ball.

Good night

Did you even watch the free kick?

Van der sar didn't dive or save a jack. He didn't make any move to save the ball.

The one you are differentiating between right footed and left footed doesn't make any difference. My poibt is that a very good free kick taker will score on a good day against any keeper and that doesn't make such keeper a bad keeper when we a talking of a keeper with good pedigree.

The two scored against VDS that we're talking about were left footed free kicks bent over the wall and scored with VDS not making a move to save any.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:11am On May 22, 2017
osgreat:

Did you even watch the free kick?

Van der sar didn't dive or save a jack. He didn't make any move to save the ball.

The one you are differentiating between right footed and left footed doesn't make any difference. My poibt is that a very good free kick taker will score on a good day against any keeper and that doesn't make such keeper a bad keeper when we a talking of a keeper with good pedigree.

The two scored against VDS that we're talking about were left footed free kicks bent over the wall and scored with VDS not making a move to save any.

There are two freekicks in that video. There was a diving in the second one. VDS almost saved the second. Go and watch your video again.

You no know ball that is why you wouldn't understand the importance of looking at the foot with which the kick is taken. Right foot from right side to the side keeper is protecting will hardly trouble a good keeper because it goes across him while veering away from goal. A left foot from there would be a R2 curly, it looked initially to be going wide on the keeper's right side, but bend into far corner. It travels out and in.

Why do you think the commentators say this is 'Messi's position' 'this is Ronaldo's territory ', etc. This is because a left footer (Messi, Bale, Di Maria, Mata, Blind ) will likely score a free kick from the right edge of the box from where DeGea conceded against Swansea. Same way a tight foot taker (Ronaldo, Pogba,) will most likely score from the left side of the box when facing keeper, from where DeGea conceded against Payet.

If a right footer is taking from the right side of the the edge of the box where Mata usually play from, it become hard to trouble the keeper because the ball will be veering from the goal, except when hit straight over the wall into near post behind the wall.

Same way when the free kick is to be taken with a left foot on the left side of the edge of the box.

If you watch well, Messi hardly plays from the left side. Neymar doesn't play from the right side. Bale doesn't take from the left side. Ronaldo hardly takes from the right side, Zlatan hardly takes from the right. There are territories based on the foot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by airmark(m): 1:38am On May 22, 2017
Guys with 6 packs should join us .

[img]https:///media/5-21-2017/qNEdTw.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Funlord2(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2017

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 12:23pm On May 22, 2017
As good as Harrop was on the wing, his best position is still in the central midfield. Even in the game, he kept coming into the midfield to help in the build-up play. Moreover, he's got the tenacity and aggressiveness to play there. He already impressed me when I saw him play that role against Sunderland u-21 team and he was one of the best player in that game yet that useless coach of his kept deploying him back on the wing while that useless Redmond of a player constantly got the midfield role.

I hope Mourinho would utilise him better than that poor academy coach of his.

Another player I'm hoping would play is Poole. I would love to see him as a CDM because that's his best position. Personally, I think he's better than Tuazenbe because the last time Tuazenbe played the left CB role, he was totally rubbish in it. Hence, I won't blame Poole for being under par on the left side, at least, he did better than what Tuazenbe offered in the same role the last time. It's not his fault that he isn't left footed nor experienced enough to play on the left side.

Anyway, I would love to see him in the CDM where he often look his best and where his passing range and creativity can be more utilised. Maybe a midfield of Poole and Harrop with Pogba in front of them.

As for the doubters, booooooooo!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 12:34pm On May 22, 2017
DDG will likely head to Real Madrid this summer no need to continue this argument.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 12:50pm On May 22, 2017
pharod:

I read somewhere that United might release Poole. He z a defensive liability. A red card magnet. Nigga was shown red in 2 straight matches...

Kagawa10 will still defend him and call Herrera a red card waiting to happen...

Poole isn't a defensive liability. He's been mostly used on the left side of the defence which he isn't comfortable with. The last time Tuazenbe played on the left side, he was totally rubbish and had to be moved to the right side in the next game because at least, Poole was still manageable on the left compared to Tuazenbe.

Moreover, Poole has got better passing skills and creativity than Tuazrnbe.

As for Harrop, he's got the speed, dribbling skills and technique. In fact, the ball is always like a magnet to his feet as you've seen yesterday and he's quite aggressive.

What I'm still not sure about is his vision which I can't pinpoint right now because the u21 team hardly plays with a leading striker but a midfielder in the striker role, hence why the team finds it difficult to create because there's no one upfront opening up the space with his movement rather every player including the wingers who are also midfielders, are dropping deep.

At the end of the day, the team has to depend on individual skills to win them the match. That's why I think the academy coach is quite inept because there's no way these youngsters are developing in that disorganised team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 1:56pm On May 22, 2017
Diademk07:

Poole isn't a defensive liability. He's been mostly used on the left side of the defence which he isn't comfortable with. The last time Tuazenbe played on the left side, he was totally rubbish and had to be moved to the right side in the next game because at least, Poole was still manageable on the left compared to Tuazenbe.

Moreover, Poole has got better passing skills and creativity than Tuazrnbe.

As for Harrop, he's got the speed, dribbling skills and technique. In fact, the ball is always like a magnet to his feet as you've seen yesterday and he's quite aggressive.

What I'm still not sure about is his vision which I can't pinpoint right now because the u21 team hardly plays with a leading striker but a midfielder in the striker role, hence why the team finds it difficult to create because there's no one upfront opening up the space with his movement rather every player including the wingers who are also midfielders, are dropping deep.

At the end of the day, the team has to depend on individual skills to win them the match. That's why I think the academy coach is quite inept because there's no way these youngsters are developing in that disorganised team.

Do you mean the Reserves coach or the Academy coach? Poole, Harrop and co are in the reserves/u23 not academy. The problem of strikers for the Reserves was due to the early departures of Ashley Fletcher and Rashford from their set up not really an issue with coaching.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 2:35pm On May 22, 2017
MRTA7:
DDG will likely head to Real Madrid this summer no need to continue this argument.
the news don dey trickle in small-small.
all I ask is for Real Madrid to set a new world record TF for a goalie.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pharod(m): 3:44pm On May 22, 2017
Are we really in for Marquinhos? I read somewhere that Barca have pulled out of the race for his signature. €70mil is the fee being touted..

Interest in the Lindelof guy seems to have cooled...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 3:52pm On May 22, 2017
pharod:
Are we really in for Marquinhos? I read somewhere that Barca have pulled out of the race for his signature. €70mil is the fee being touted..

Interest in the Lindelof guy seems to have cooled...

Marquinhos is very good. Pacy, intelligent and has good technique, i am just not sure of his aerial ability. .
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 4:18pm On May 22, 2017
We are going into the Europa final without any of our strongest central defensive pairing this season. In the middle of the season we had a strong pairing of Jones and Rojo. Towards the end of the season we had Bailly and Rojo.

The absence of Rojo means that we might be a bit vulnerable and lacking full confidence in that department.

1. Smalling and Blind
2. Jones and Smalling
3. Jones and Blind

Smalling and Blind pairing looks like what we are going to play because of the height of Smalling to compensate for a defensive line lacking height. Valencia, Jones, Blind and Darmian are not tall, although Jones has a jumping power. Jumping power against a naturally tall forward with good aerial ability can still be a burden. I haven't seen much of Ajax this season, so I don't know the quality of their players. Another reason Smalling and Blind look ideal is because we are facing a dutch side, therefore Blind being dutch might just be thrown at them. With this line up we will have Valencia, Smalling, Blind and Darmian. Blind in the center back means we play deep. But Valencia's ability to carry the ball forward should prove vital except Ajax pay particular attention to stop him.

Jones and Smalling is my ideal starting centre back pairing . They are fast and can play high on the pitch with ease. They will handle aerial battles well. Some people might want to point to our goals conceded against Arsenal and Tottenham. The truth is if Celta Vigo were good finishers, they could have scored three or more goals. Blind was also at fault when we almost conceded a last minute goal. Tottenham and Arsenal are having fun scoring freely this time and we were without Valencia, Pogba, Felliani Herrera to provide proper shield to the defence. We could make a strong line up with this - Valencia, Smalling, Jones and Darmian. Mourinho has decided for whatever reason that Jones plays on the left side. From his pairing with Bailly against Palace, that might be the pairing next season until Rojo returns in January.

Jones and Blind. This pairing is a no no for me because of lack of height. Secondly they have never formed a pairing.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 4:26pm On May 22, 2017
It looks like Ashley Young is not going to return. I would have love to have him on the left instead of Darmian. We should go for attack outpacing them instead of trying to cope with them.

If everyone were available, it could easily have been Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Darmian/Young.

Or we could just have adopted the formation we used against Chelsea. But we are missing Rojo and Young, so we wont be as effective with that formation of 3-5-2
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 4:29pm On May 22, 2017
Midfield is settled except if Felliani couldn't recover. Herrera, Pogba and Fellaini.

Earlier in the season, we had a very forward thinking midfield of Carrick, Herrera and Pogba. But we know Mourinho loves Fellaini.

If Fellaini can give his best, he will be tough to deal with. Sometimes he is a beast.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 4:32pm On May 22, 2017
We are going to have a front three of Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Lingard/Mata/Martial

We are going to depend on Rashford or Mkhitaryan to shoot us to the Champions League next season.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4102) (4103) (4104) (4105) (4106) (4107) (4108) ... (14408) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: MeniMeni, Kimbeast, Bjteensdes24 and 143 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.