Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,949 members, 7,873,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:06 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4520263 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (2245) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MyMail2D: 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2017
Hello,
I am getting tired of trading with the Banks as most of their staffs don't know much about TB or are blocking my requests.
Pls does any one know much about Afrinvest invest securities.
They say they are dealing primary & secondary markets.

Any info on their capabilities
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
unite4real:

Inflation may be reducing but if there is shortage in Naira and inter bank rate goes up, rates will be looking North. CBN is pumping in more dollars that have less naira chasing it, so the demand for naira has gone up. This has lead to the increase in rates.

Unite4real is perfectly spot-on. Especially with recent interbank lending rate that is inching up from time to time, partly due to CBN mopping up naira with dollars' sale, customers are actually requesting a much higher rate from CBN for Treasury bills, despite the reported drop in inflation rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 3:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
MyMail2D:
Hello,
I am getting tired of trading with the Banks as most of their staffs don't know much about TB or are blocking my requests.

Hi MyMail2D, unless you don't meet the minimum requirement to apply for Treasury bills from your bank, then I will understand why you feel helpless and sound frustrated. But if you meet the minimum requirements, then I am sorry to say, that it is your fault you are being messed around, as you need to be assertive with these self centred bankers. It is no longer news that most bankers will like to frustrate you in doing treasury bills, for their personal and banks' selfish interests. I had to "shout down" one of my account officers many years back, when she told me I was better off doing fixed deposit, at 4% for 30 days instead of going for Treasury bills then at 9% for 364 day tenor. Of course all the interest rates were per annum.
Unfortunately I have no experience dealing with Afrinvest, and unable to advise you about the company. May be other members can provide advice on that.
You need to take control of your finances, and move your funds to where your interests and wish would be adequately catered for.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2017
dejiotus:

Unite4real is perfectly spot-on. Especially with recent interbank lending rate that is inching up from time to time, partly due to CBN mopping up naira with dollars' sale, customers are actually requesting a much higher rate from CBN for Treasury bills, despite the reported drop in inflation rate.
In dz era and time, u do not need to stress urself,simply visit the website of afri invest
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 6:27pm On Apr 24, 2017
A friend was on the way to the bank, when quizzed, it was to invest money in Fixed Deposit, which the bank promised 3.8%. I was furious and strongly condemned and criticized such a move. Then I introduced Tbills, excited about it, we went together to FBN and got 18.1% for 192 days. I was almost worshiped. grin grin grin grin grin

The truthfulness of that Quote "if you are not informed, you are deformed" hold sway

Nigerian Banks cant show you anything good!

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 6:35pm On Apr 24, 2017
It may seems boring to read. But trust me, you will be forever grateful for these free information. I am a living proof.

So many questions are answered, just read and Thank the contributors later,

MGeey:

Thanks very much for your response. I am doing that. Please if there is any info you can give me to help my research, i will appreciate. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MyMail2D: 7:32pm On Apr 24, 2017
Thanks for the info.
I have checked Afrinvest site, called them and will make a visit there this week.
I beleive another TB is happening on 3 May, thus need to be well positioned.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reyus: 7:51am On Apr 25, 2017
hmmm..... 365 days Tbill has gotten to 18.9% Thats awesome.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 8:40am On Apr 25, 2017
amjustme2:
A friend was on the way to the bank, when quizzed, it was to invest money in Fixed Deposit, which the bank promised 3.8%. I was furious and strongly condemned and criticized such a move. Then I introduced Tbills, excited about it, we went together to FBN and got 18.1% for 192 days. I was almost worshiped. grin grin grin grin grin

The truthfulness of that Quote "if you are not informed, you are deformed" hold sway

Nigerian Banks cant show you anything good!
That means one can secure Tbill anytime. Not waiting fprban auction date.?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 9:49am On Apr 25, 2017
Sylverly:
That means one can secure Tbill anytime. Not waiting fprban auction date.?

Yes. But in the secondary Treasury bills market, and depending on what's available. Sometimes you can even get a better deal, in terms of interest rate if you are after a relatively shorter tenor.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lalaska(m): 10:42am On Apr 25, 2017
see below

You can contact them on brokerageteam@afrinvest.com

MyMail2D:
Hello,

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jaflave: 1:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
Nigeria Stops Sale Of Treasury Bills To Anyone Who Doesn’t Have N50 million

http://nairametrics.com/nigeria-launches-fgn-bonds-stops-sale-of-treasury-bills-to-anyone-who-doesnt-have-n50-million/

ugodre Nairametrics MARCH 1, 2017
Nairametrics| The Federal Government announced on Tuesday that it will no longer be selling Treasury Bills to retail investors. In what it called a “New Market Structure” the Debt Management Office (DMO) said the minimum amount that can be used to invest directly in Treasury Bills is now N50, 001,000. This effectively puts it out of the reach of retail investors.

Implication

This means that anyone who wishes to buy Treasury Bills but does not have up to N50 million must buy through a bank in the secondary market. The major difference now is that; you are now at the mercy of a bank and may have to collect lower yields. Treasury Bills yields have sky rocketed of late, trading for as high as 20% for a one year yield. It is unclear if the rate you get at a secondary market will be the same as what you get in a primary market. Banks, who have complained about the effect of high yield Treasury Bills on getting cheaper deposits, will breathe an air of respite as retail investors will be marketed fixed deposits and other bank products which hitherto could not compete with Treasury Bills.

Why this change

The DMO in a publication in the papers explained that it had introduced a new Market Structure since it has now introduced what it calls FGN Savings Bonds. The FGN Savings Bond, unlike Treasury Bills and FGN Bonds, will have a tenor of 2-3 years and quarterly interest rates. Treasury Bills have a tenor of 91 days, 182 days and 364 days respectively. Each tenor comes with an interest calculated per annum. FGN Bonds are as high as 10 years.

So apparently, the government is inadvertently rerouting retail investments in Treasury Bills to its FGN savings bonds program, freeing up short term T-bills for commercial banks. The new FGN Savings bonds can be bought for as low as N5,000 in multiples of N1,000.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gentlemate00: 3:01pm On Apr 25, 2017
The new FGN SAVING BOND rate is low 13.5@% let hope the rate will come close to FGN BOND.

9jaflave:

http://nairametrics.com/nigeria-launches-fgn-bonds-stops-sale-of-treasury-bills-to-anyone-who-doesnt-have-n50-million/

ugodre Nairametrics MARCH 1, 2017
Nairametrics| The Federal Government announced on Tuesday that it will no longer be selling Treasury Bills to retail investors. In what it called a “New Market Structure” the Debt Management Office (DMO) said the minimum amount that can be used to invest directly in Treasury Bills is now N50, 001,000. This effectively puts it out of the reach of retail investors.

Implication

This means that anyone who wishes to buy Treasury Bills but does not have up to N50 million must buy through a bank in the secondary market. The major difference now is that; you are now at the mercy of a bank and may have to collect lower yields. Treasury Bills yields have sky rocketed of late, trading for as high as 20% for a one year yield. It is unclear if the rate you get at a secondary market will be the same as what you get in a primary market. Banks, who have complained about the effect of high yield Treasury Bills on getting cheaper deposits, will breathe an air of respite as retail investors will be marketed fixed deposits and other bank products which hitherto could not compete with Treasury Bills.

Why this change

The DMO in a publication in the papers explained that it had introduced a new Market Structure since it has now introduced what it calls FGN Savings Bonds. The FGN Savings Bond, unlike Treasury Bills and FGN Bonds, will have a tenor of 2-3 years and quarterly interest rates. Treasury Bills have a tenor of 91 days, 182 days and 364 days respectively. Each tenor comes with an interest calculated per annum. FGN Bonds are as high as 10 years.

So apparently, the government is inadvertently rerouting retail investments in Treasury Bills to its FGN savings bonds program, freeing up short term T-bills for commercial banks. The new FGN Savings bonds can be bought for as low as N5,000 in multiples of N1,000.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 7:02pm On Apr 25, 2017
smiley Following this thread bumper to bumper..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wokemzine: 7:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
Following
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Harkynkunle(m): 8:51pm On Apr 25, 2017
I got an offer of 18% with fbn @ 65days ... Secondary market.. I guess it's a good deal
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 9:11pm On Apr 25, 2017

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:51pm On Apr 25, 2017
Harkynkunle:
I got an offer of 18% with fbn @ 65days ... Secondary market.. I guess it's a good deal

This about the best rate I av seen of recent ooo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Harkynkunle(m): 12:28am On Apr 26, 2017
freeman67:

This about the best rate I av seen of recent ooo
Thanks boss.. the bid was successful
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Uzee24: 1:16am On Apr 26, 2017
Morning House...
Please does anyone have an idea how much interbank transfers cost and how many days it takes. Am thinking of transfering my fund from my present bank to a new one where I will get a better deal on my investment. Really want to avoid the risk of carrying huge cash.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Uzee24: 1:34am On Apr 26, 2017
bb
Houstency:
With these outrageous and never-seen before rates, i am forced to become skeptical like @Poposki pointed out earlier. I just hope govt meet up with their debt servicing.

What are you waiting for? 18% for 65days is a good deal.

How will the interest be calculated? Is the 65days a reminder of 91, 182 or 364 days tenor? Would really like to know how to balance this already counting tenor kind of investment
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by battleaxe: 4:45am On Apr 26, 2017
Uzee24:
bb

How will the interest be calculated? Is the 65days a reminder of 91, 182 or 364 days tenor? Would really like to know how to balance this already counting tenor kind of investment

It's irrelevant whether it's a remainder of 91,182 or 364.

Interest calculations remain the same universally:

Principal * Interest rate * tenor(days)/365

Rates are always per annum.

It is impossible for you to be getting 18% of your capital, un-prorated for tenor, within those 65 days from TBills.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enomakos(m): 8:00am On Apr 26, 2017
gentlemate00:
The new FGN SAVING BOND rate is low 13.5@% let hope the rate will come close to FGN BOND.

what is the rate of FGN BOND

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 8:18am On Apr 26, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 11:00am On Apr 26, 2017
Houstency:
With these outrageous and never-seen before rates, i am forced to become skeptical like @Poposki pointed out earlier. I just hope govt meet up with their debt servicing.

What are you waiting for? 18% for 65days is a good deal.
#500,000 @18% for 65 days will be how much ? .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pafra(m): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2017
ihedioramma:
#500,000 @18% for 65 days will be how much ? .

N16071
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
pafra:

N16071
Thank's .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gentlemate00: 1:13pm On Apr 26, 2017
Depend on the auction date,kindly direct your question to unite4real and other brothers to help you.

enomakos:
what is the rate of FGN BOND
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enomakos(m): 4:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
gentlemate00:
Depend on the auction date,kindly direct your question to unite4real and other brothers to help you.

thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (2245) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Edukpo, khunz and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.