Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,970 members, 7,938,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 02:39 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4619543 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (2260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by manie(m): 1:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
Elai147:

Thanks jare for the info... So why should an investor go through these companies (and pay extra commission charge) when he/she can buy directly from banks and discount houses? Are these bills actually purchased in the investors name or the company's name? Also, who credits investors account at maturity- the stockbrokers or the bank they use? If investors accounts are credited by the stockbroking firms then it is possible the bills were actually bought in the company's name and not the investor's name. If this is true, it is the stockbroking firms that are actually covered by FG/CBN's guarantee on TBills, not the investors. So if these companies go bankrupt what happens to investors capital? Because I don't understand why a company that is not a marketer of Tbills will be posing as middleman or agent and investors will be purchasing Tbills via these companies. This is just a "what if" scenario as I only buy my Tbills through banks. Perhaps those that buy through stockbroking firms can clarify me on the above issue.

I always get TB reports from Meristem

Issue on Offer/Summary

The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) Treasury Bills (TB) Primary Auction is scheduled to hold on 04 Dec, 2013. The sum of N124.297bn worth of T-bills will mature on Thursday 5 Dec,

2013 while the same amount will be issued in 91-day, 182-day and 364-day instruments. The CBN is expected to auction a total of NGN22.971bn in 91-day, NGN30.00bn in 182-day and

NGN71.3260bn in 364-day instruments.

Outlook on Yields /Advised Stop Rates

We analyse the current yield environment in light of the outcome of the previous auctions on the respective instruments. In our view, the yields on short term instruments particularly on the

91-day has trended upward by 0.50% (current yield is 11.94%) since the last auction while 182-day and 364-day instruments have been relatively stable at respective current yields of

12.19% and 13.08%.

We considered the current calm market mood as likely factors to determine the level of liquidity in the system. Hence, we see the stop rate still maintaining the usual spread compared to

yields.

Based on the level of liquidity in the system, investors' attraction for T-bills and macro-economic data outlook, we advise the following stop rates for the respective instruments as listed

below. We are of the view that liquidity in the system currently suggests the offer will most likely fill through.

91-Day NGN22.971bn 10.50%

182-Day NGN30.000bn 11.40%

364-Day NGN71.326bn 11.60%

Investing through Meristem Wealth Management Limited

Meristem Wealth Management Limited charges a transaction fee of 0.125% of the principal amount invested, and there will be three (3) days prior notification before

maturity for all Treasury bills investments. The income from investing in T bills is tax free, so interest received is not subject to withholding tax, and you will receive an immediate

Investment confirmation letter for the Treasury bills. Also note that the T-bill certificates can be used as collateral for securing loans.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by steve4reas: 9:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
Please i like to invest 200k for 91 days i like to know how much is the interest an when can i invest the money thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slord(m): 8:36pm On Dec 10, 2013
steve4reas: Please i like to invest 200k for 91 days i like to know how much is the interest an when can i invest the money thanks
it depends on d rate,for xample if the rate is 10percent,ul b paid 5,000naira upfront
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by steve4reas: 11:05pm On Dec 10, 2013
Thanks dear, but the 5k is it every month, and i like to know when i will invest, and after the 91 days can i collect my capital
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slord(m): 7:31am On Dec 11, 2013
steve4reas: Thanks dear, but the 5k is it every month, and i like to know when i will invest, and after the 91 days can i collect my capital
u welcome. No o,d 5k is for d 91days,ul get ur capital back after d 91days. Tbills are auctioned every 2weeks,d next bid is nxt weet wednesday bt u nid to go to ur bank to give instruction latest by tuesday.what bank do you use?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by steve4reas: 7:58am On Dec 11, 2013
I bank in diamond bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slord(m): 12:56pm On Dec 11, 2013
steve4reas: I bank in diamond bank
k,gud. But i dnt knw d minimum dat diamond accepts.jst go to d bank on monday nd talk to d marketing officers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lawmann: 7:19pm On Dec 11, 2013
please, the 91 days does it include Saturdays and Sundays.thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2013
Lawmann: please, the 91 days does it include Saturdays and Sundays.thank you.
Yes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rehn(m): 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
Seun: Yes.
please Mr seun, I've been recommending my post for frontpage becos I really need nairaland assistance, but notin is happening. Please help me out.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 9:48am On Dec 19, 2013
Hi Investors,

When is the next bid date pls?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2013
Hey folks.

So I did a little scurry into Ghana and while I was there opened something similar to a Kakawa KGIF.

Interest rate is set at time of deposit and they offer a rate better than (or at least equal to) the government t-bill (currently 19-20%)

In Ghana, you have to be a resident to purchase (short-term) T-Bills so it is not open foreigners.

This was the alternative.

I test am with 50k.

See attached. I put in 660ghs fixed at 21%(p.a) for 182 days.

I should mention that at the time I deposited, I changed that 660ghs for N48,180 at the ATM ( rate of 1ghs to N73 )

Right now 1 ghs is N69-70.

Just an fyi.

Peace

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 20, 2013
Quick question. Is it better to buy these treasury bills from the banks or via a stock broking firm?

I used some firms back then but their services were not quite encouraging. Can anyone recommend a good stock broking firm? Especially one with online account access/management - useful for someone like me who's not always in Lagos to go to their offices to give my orders.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 6:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
Hello house.

Does anyone has the stop rates for 18/12/2013.

Cheers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 3:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
2ndOGA: Quick question. Is it better to buy these treasury bills from the banks or via a stock broking firm?

I used some firms back then but their services were not quite encouraging. Can anyone recommend a good stock broking firm? Especially one with online account access/management - useful for someone like me who's not always in Lagos to go to their offices to give my orders.

It is better to buy from banks or discount houses.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2013
sammily: Hello house.

Does anyone has the stop rates for 18/12/2013.

Cheers

You can check stop rates on CBN's website but it doesn't get updated on time. Anyone with the stop rate should pls help.

http://www.cenbank.org/rates/GovtSecuritiesDrillDown.asp?market=NTBP
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2013
Just walk into any bank of ur choice & request for treasury bills,its simple. The problem is,the bankers are a bit reluctant doing it. I used diamond bank @ 10.5% for 91 days & 10.8% for 128 days. I requested for 128 days but was given 85 days,don't know why, then I don't really know the meaning of discounted value & face value.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 4:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
when is the next bid date pls?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 8:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Hello pls.. when is the next bid date..?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 28, 2013
collinsobinna: I forgot to mention.the zenith branch I went to wanted me to fix the funds instead of investing in Tbills as that will be more beneficial to them..smh...so zenith out of question.

OMG, is dis why my acct officer discouraged me abt investing in Tbills? I fixed some cash thr for ova 8months now nd derz been very lil interest
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 8:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
irpheezy:

OMG, is dis why my acct officer discouraged me abt investing in Tbills? I fixed some cash thr for ova 8months now nd derz been very lil interest

I will advice u to forget about fixed deposit and stick to TB with better rates and peace of mind. I fell for their trick once at my bank and I regretted it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 28, 2013
:oHmmmmm, tank God 4 NL o
#waiting earnestl for monday#
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 5:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
irpheezy: :oHmmmmm, tank God 4 NL o
#waiting earnestl for monday#
. Is monday d next bid date?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 7:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
adetunrayo: . Is monday d next bid date?

T bill auctions take place every other Wednesday. Next Wednesday (1st of January) seems to be out of the question.
Upper Wednesday (8th of Jan) seems more likely. Im just speculating though.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Thanks ojix85
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
Is there any auction this week?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dagr8(m): 7:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
^^^ Don't think so...public holiday
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
dagr8: ^^^ Don't think so...public holiday

You sef don begin report for duty here grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dagr8(m): 11:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
naijababe:

You sef don begin report for duty here grin
Aunty mi, is necessary o...i wan become like u na
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 8:50pm On Jan 02, 2014
adetunrayo: when is the next bid date pls?

Any news from anyone? Please! cry
adetunrayo: when is the next bid date pls?

Any news from anyone? Please!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 10:32am On Jan 06, 2014
Are you guys back from your holidays yet? when is the next auction?

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (2260) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.