Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,962 members, 7,938,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 01:56 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4619520 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (2260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 9:12am On Nov 20, 2013
slord: MR feelamong sir,thanks so much.i was able to send my bid in yesterday(gtb).i rili appreciate ur help,thanks

U welcome bro!

dont forget to come pay ur tithe at our ministry o! grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 9:32am On Nov 20, 2013
What is BA?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dollops: 11:31am On Nov 20, 2013
walcolm: What is BA?

Please what is BA?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:38am On Nov 20, 2013
Dollops:

Please what is BA?

Ok in layman's terms... BAs is when you lend to a company with a bank acting as a guarantor that your money would be paid back to you at the expiration of the tenor.

For banks its like taking deposit from you at an agreed interest rate just like in any Fixed deposit;
However it is supposed to be money given to another party with a bank acting as guarantor. So most times its only Blue chips that actually do BAs using banks as guarantors or in another way, Banks raise the money for Blue chips from investors like you and I at a rate...

hope i made some sence sha! grin Been a long time i left banking work!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 12:02pm On Nov 20, 2013
grin yeah, thanx for the break down...but what does the acronym BA stand for?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
walcolm: grin yeah, thanx for the break down...but what does the acronym BA stand for?

BANKERS ACCEPTANCES
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 12:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
feelamong:

Ok in layman's terms... BAs is when you lend to a company with a bank acting as a guarantor that your money would be paid back to you at the expiration of the tenor.

For banks its like taking deposit from you at an agreed interest rate just like in any Fixed deposit;
However it is supposed to be money given to another party with a ban
k acting as guarantor. So most times its only Blue chips that actually do BAs using banks as guarantors or in another way, Banks raise the money for Blue chips from investors like you and I at a rate...

hope i made some sence sha! grin Been a long time i left banking work!

Do you pay 10% witholding tax on BA?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slord(m): 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2013
feelamong:

U welcome bro!

dont forget to come pay ur tithe at our ministry o! grin
No problem,lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2013
feelamong:

BANKERS ACCEPTANCES

thanx
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dollops: 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
@ feelamong, thanks for the explanation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
Desanta:

Do you pay 10% witholding tax on BA?

Yes you pay; but its discounted as such you can take your interest upfront!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
feelamong:

Hmmm... do not fully agree with ur take!

BAs are goodf investment out lets and they also pay you interst upfront... i do this with my former bankers just that the interest they give now is not good enough but at 11% for 91days.. i think its OK.

I also think that all the banks for now are very safe to do business with and as such no one should take any customer for granted. Infact the last CBN report only stated the facty that the said 8 banks are taking on more risk than their capital can carry and as such have been advised to raise uop their capital..

why would one go for short term and go thru the rigours of sending in rollover instructions when you do not need the money in the short term? moreover interest are projected to fall in the future so its betytter to lock up my funds for one year at a good interest rate.

But in all I prefer Tbills to other fixed income although am not too cool with its liquidity!!thats why i always go for the 90days...but i will definitely explore the Ecobank BA option now that it has been mentioned..

I will also explore this BA with Ecobank but is it risk-free? I prefer short term because I may need access to my money before 1 year. Anything can happen in Naija. I am not sure what happened to those investors who had long term FD with defunct Savannah bank. If they actually lost their capital then most of their victims should be those with long term FD.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 10:41am On Nov 21, 2013
For those that bidded

91 days -----10.7%

182 days-------11.45%

364 days -------11.649%

happy investing..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 3:02pm On Nov 21, 2013
oga feelamong i have a question, please is it true that for a 91 days tenor that has an bid rate 10% (N10K of N100K) will be divided by 3 (months) to give you N3333 and the N3333 is what you will take home?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 3:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
princeuk21: oga feelamong i have a question, please is it true that for a 91 days tenor that has an bid rate 10% (N10K of N100K) will be divided by 3 (months) to give you N3333 and the N3333 is what you will take home?

yes bro! thats the figure you get! cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
feelamong:

Thanks Bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dollops: 8:08am On Nov 22, 2013
Please who knows the percentage charged by banks for bidding on your behalf?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
Dollops: Please who knows the percentage charged by banks for bidding on your behalf?

0.125% of your principal.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chiefinalowo: 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
I have just invested 4MN in TB just to test it. I was socked Zenith Bank removed over 13k as COT. Is that the normal thing in all Banks? Thank God I did not go for more than 91 days. This is absolute rubbish!
All the same, I thank you guys for educating us.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 4:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
chiefinalowo: I have just invested 4MN in TB just to test it. I was socked Zenith Bank removed over 13k as COT. Is that the normal thing in all Banks? Thank God I did not go for more than 91 days. This is absolute rubbish!

Current account thingz.

Sorry, it's advisable you do TB with a savings account.

Oga feelamong, no be so?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chiefinalowo: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
inze:

Current account thingz.

Sorry, it's advisable you do TB with a savings account.

Oga feelamong, no be so?

Now I know, but it is much now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
chiefinalowo: I have just invested 4MN in TB just to test it. I was socked Zenith Bank removed over 13k as COT. Is that the normal thing in all Banks? Thank God I did not go for more than 91 days. This is absolute rubbish!

If you have maintained a current account with them, I'm sure this is not the first time you are getting charged COT for your transactions

It has nothing to do with the TB investment
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nairaxchan: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
Damn made the same mistake as using my current account for my TB investment with Guaranty Trust bank, damn it, the commission that will be removed later on is going to be high oooo, damn it,

anyway gtb is excellent, my interest is in my account, as it was the discounted amount that was deducted,so i do not know who is complaining about gtb bank ooooo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chiefinalowo: 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
walcolm:

If you have maintained a current account with them, I'm sure this is not the first time you are getting charged COT for your transactions

It has nothing to do with the TB investment

I have never been debited like this except my transactions exceed 7MN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
nairaxchan: Damn made the same mistake as using my current account for my TB investment with Guaranty Trust bank, damn it, the commission that will be removed later on is going to be high oooo, damn it,
What should you have done? Transferred it to another acount? Won't that transfer incur COT charges as well?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chiefinalowo: 5:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
Seun: What should you have done? Transferred it to another acount? Won't that transfer incur COT charges as well?
I also need answer to this question may be the COT from current to savings will be lesser.
They removed another Commission on Tbills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nairaxchan: 9:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
Seun: What should you have done? Transferred it to another acount? Won't that transfer incur COT charges as well?

No transfer to my GTB savings account does not Incur COT
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
princeuk21: oga feelamong i have a question, please is it true that for a 91 days tenor that has an bid rate 10% (N10K of N100K) will be divided by 3 (months) to give you N3333 and the N3333 is what you will take home?

@
feelamong:

@All i think dat's figure is wrong.It should be divided by 4 and not 3.So should be 2,500 for 3mth at 10% for a 100k Investment.
But i dont think it's worth it..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9free(m): 2:44am On Nov 23, 2013
timothy001:

@

@All i think dat's figure is wrong.It should be divided by 4 and not 3.So should be 2,500 for 3mth at 10% for a 100k Investment.
But i dont think it's worth it..
My Oga, that is because you're investing in hundreds of thousands nah...... oya just think of the monies that Oga feelamong and Oga Elia who are investing in hundreds of millions and hundreds of billions respectively will be pocketing per annum.
Bros, my humble observation is that in the long run, TBills favours the very deep pocket investors more than any other class of investors.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 8:36am On Nov 23, 2013
nairaxchan:

No transfer to my GTB savings account does not Incur COT

Really? But are you sure about this? Because I do transfer from my GTB current to other GTB savings account (not mine though) and I'm charged commission.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dollops: 10:08am On Nov 23, 2013
Desanta:

0.125% of your principal.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (2260) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.