Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,901 members, 7,889,982 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:32 AM

Should Churches Provide Free University Education? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches Provide Free University Education? (939 Views)

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / Should Churches Be Paying Tax. / Should Churches Join A Pregnant Woman To A Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 01, 2012
I dont know if i'm the only one thinking about this. why would these pastors adeboye, oyedepo, benson idahosa and others build up private universities and still charge outrageous fees for tuition and other things?

why would madonna university charge school fees and accommodation fees all together?

why are these christian churches' universities charging fees upon fees when they built the university with the hard earned salary by its members paid in form of tithes and offerings? some of them were even gifted the lands they built the school upon, why would they now turn their backs to charge the same people who toiled to pay tithes and offerings. where is the giving back to society here? why not open doors to their university free of charge for those they can admit and their members more importantly, members who are the majority of the poor and middle class nigerians?

I dont understand this. shouldn't they make their university education free?
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by mikolo80: 12:12pm On Mar 25, 2012
DEPENDS ON THEIR OBJECTIVE
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Goshen360(m): 10:38pm On Mar 25, 2012
They should NOT provide free education but AFFORDABLE (TO THE BAREST MINIMUM) TO ALL.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Nobody: 4:57am On Mar 26, 2012
at least giving back to the members who sweat out tithes and offerings with numerous covenant seeds, to give back will be free education. what do ya think?
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 26, 2012
already said! should NOT be free, but very affordable, there should be numerous schorlaships for the talented but financialy less endowed member of the church
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 27, 2012
cogitoErgo: already said! should NOT be free, but very affordable, there should be numerous schorlaships for the talented but financialy less endowed member of the church

but any one at the moment?
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by FXKing2012(m): 10:59am On Mar 27, 2012
They will provide free education once the govt gives them the resources needed to establish and run a university for free.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by PastorKun(m): 1:08pm On Mar 27, 2012
FXKing2012: They will provide free education once the govt gives them the resources needed to establish and run a university for free.

Why are you talking like an illiterate? Was the money raised from the congregation to build these universities not given to them freely? They used free money to build the universities so there is a moral obligation at least to the contributors to provide in the very least highly subsidized if not free university education.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by goldplated(m): 1:23pm On Mar 27, 2012
FXKing2012: They will provide free education once the govt gives them the resources needed to establish and run a university for free.

a very shameless comment considering that some lands these churches built the universities upon were gifted to them. and the church didnt start university education, so its not mandatory for the government to give them any resource and most importantly when the federal government havent even given the much needed resources to its universities.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Image123(m): 9:05pm On Mar 27, 2012
Did the churches promise free education when they were asking for funds(if they did) to build? People just think they have right to tell others how to spend their monies.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Nobody: 3:04am On Mar 28, 2012
Image123: Did the churches promise free education when they were asking for funds(if they did) to build? People just think they have right to tell others how to spend their monies.

their monies? whose money are you talking about?
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by kcjazz(m): 4:19am On Mar 28, 2012
The issue with this question is, if it is free how does the school employ and compete for the best talents/lecturers/students in the market place?

To get quality most times, you have to pay more so in that case I guess the question should be what is the quality of the private university graduate?
Economically, demand is high for education based on good morals (non-cultism), non-strike, safety for students etc, so the government can counter this by making other public institutions great places.

[quote

author=FXKing2012]They will provide free education once the govt gives them the resources needed to establish and run a university for free.[/quote]

I see your view point and I support it in as much as some folks feel otherwise. As an example, from its inception Madonna University ran on generators for close to four years before NEPA finally connected them. This are some of the problems that private universities face in Nigeria. Again the issue should be about quality. If I were to advice any Christian private school administrator, I would say no freebies BUT focus on QUALITY and charge what you think is reasonable to achieve that. Harvard was founded by Christian clergy but today the price is beyond most peoples means but they have the QUALITY.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Image123(m): 12:16pm On Mar 28, 2012
diluminati:

their monies? whose money are you talking about?
The church's money, abi na your money? And don't come tell me you and fellow offering givers' money. Once you gave it,or paid it if you prefer that, it's no longer yours.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by PastorKun(m): 2:18pm On Mar 28, 2012
Image123:
The church's money, abi na your money? And don't come tell me you and fellow offering givers' money. Once you gave it,or paid it if you prefer that, it's no longer yours.

Stop talking like a heretic, people give money in church based on the understanding that church leaders can be trusted in judiciously using the money in furtherance of the gospel(which includes assisting the poor). People don't expect the church leaders to turn around and use church money for profit making ventures. If we can demand for accountability from our political leaders how much more christian leaders who are expected to be of higher standard. Your hypocritical position is like a govt official telling us it is none of our business what govt does with our Taxes since the money belongs to govt.
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Goshen360(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
I think the question we should begin to ask is, Is establishing versities part of Jesus' commission to his disciples or the Church? I can't just get any clue from the word of God to justify these guys establishing versities that are not even affordable to their own member they claim God sent them to, Seriously, I can't understand.

Can somebody help me out?
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Fhemmmy: 2:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
Not really but at subsidized cost
Re: Should Churches Provide Free University Education? by Image123(m): 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Stop talking like a heretic, people give money in church based on the understanding that church leaders can be trusted in judiciously using the money in furtherance of the gospel(which includes assisting the poor). People don't expect the church leaders to turn around and use church money for profit making ventures. If we can demand for accountability from our political leaders how much more christian leaders who are expected to be of higher standard. Your hypocritical position is like a govt official telling us it is none of our business what govt does with our Taxes since the money belongs to govt.
Furtherance of what? The OP's on collecting money for building schools, and the church giving back. The members are usually aware of what their donations is for, and they were not promised free education. Even the church members no complain. What they're doing is BTW, nobody send them, so it's wrong to want to impose on them how they should spend school money.

(1) (Reply)

Christians: Have You Prayed For Your Pastor Before? / Email Threat Received From Maclatunji - Islam Section Moderator / KITTY'S DeVOTIONAL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.