Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,560 members, 7,888,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

Criticise Yar'adua Here - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criticise Yar'adua Here (3038 Views)

How To Criticise Buhari And Get Away With It - Ayo Sogunro / I Criticise Buhari As Most Senior Governor In Nigeria — Fayose / Staunch Buharists, Olateju And Farouk Kperogi Criticise Buhari Over Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 12:03am On Oct 28, 2007
vigasimple:

First and foremost, The judiciary was freed by OBJ. He didn't try to stiffle them like all the people before him.

He may not obey some of the decision or on time but he allow them to rule even when it is against him. Rememebr all those proceddings by ATIKU etc.

Also OBJ should be given credit for 'selecting' YAR ADUA because he is by far the better of all the other candidates including Bhuari, Atiku and all the Governors. He is a safe pair of hands in most peoples opinion and less corrupt. So OBJ definitely have good intentuions for Nigerians, even if you think he is trying to cover his back. He could have as well 'select' either IBORI or ODILLI and still cover his back.

Whether or not he prosecute OBJ, IBB etc is another matter for reasons that may only be well know to him.

The other problem is that it is the PDP that put Yar Adua in office and I am afraid he is unlikely to prosecute all the Governors that ' gave way' for him. IBORI , ODILLI etc

I for one don't think that Yar ADua has the 'toughness' required to govern Nigerians.

However, if he is able to appoint people who can do that for him because of his health and the type of person he is (his personality and demeanour) and just apply intellectual approach to the challenges then he stand a chance.

But seeing from his appointments and pronoucements so far I think he is many miles away from making any serious impact. (Maybe he needed OBJ- as if you will remember OBJ single handely campaign for him on campaign rounds and 'annointing him' among his fellow governors)

I hope he can sleep one night and God to visit him and explain how to run the country properly.

As far as I am concern, it is all soundbite- where is the War (state of emergency) on Energy/Power and all the other 7 progamm agenda.

I will pray for new things and beginings because it appears that it is just business as usual. Remember OBJ promised Electricity in 1999 and 8 years later, it even got worse. NIGERIANS WE NEED SERIOUSE PRAYERS FOR GOD TO TAKE CONTROL AND BY HIS SPECIAL GRACE HE WILL TAKE CONTROL OF MINDS OF OUR LEADERS TO START TO RUN THE COUNTRY PROPERLY.
Amen
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 28, 2007
We too dey pray. grin
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 12:27am On Oct 28, 2007
davidylan:

We too dey pray. grin
dont yo believe in prayers.
Please pray for Yar'Adua and Nigeria
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Teriba(m): 12:40am On Oct 28, 2007
davidylan:

You are very right. Black people indeed are the only ones who are clueless enough to assume that when you query your "elected" officials you are "judging" them. Black Africa is the only continent where we forever make excuses for the ineptitude of our government officials (the latest one being . . . he is only 5 months on the job), black people are the only people i know who elect officials who have no specific goals for office besides the cliched "we will continue with nebulous reforms".

Black people are indeed engineered to be genetically stupid.

You don't need to bother responding to certain "contributions". You shld know by now that not all of us are comfortable with opposing oppinions.

He was a "good" governor based on what? What really are the yardstick with which we measure "good governance" in Nigeria? That he didnt loot the treasury blind? Why then did he take the first emergency flight to Germany if he had put in adequate health facilities in Katsina despite having 8 years to do so?

Until we start asking critical questions, until we put our so-called political office holders under the lens of public scrutiny we will continue to be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.
Do we even have any benchmarks for evaluating the Yar Asleep administration? All we here of is reforms.

I`m all for probity and accountability. I`m for treating the electoral process as sancrosant. But, of equal importance is the need to be realistic in all our expectations. Not even in the developed nations could one be sure that the electoral process is going to deliver the best candidate. How could one be sure that a free and fair election this year would not have led to the election of either Babangida or Atiku Abubarka ? Of course, just like you, I would prefer a free and fair election that bring about the election of Nzeribe or Adedibu rather than the constant wishy-washy we engage in. However,we are where we are today and we have to deal with here and now.
Feel free to enlighten me on the Governors in the last dispensation that you consider to be more credible than the current president. Everything in life is relative, I`m just being realistic in my assessment of the state of our nation-not in any way suggesting that we have got the best. Fact is, no nation in today`s world has a credible political system; definitely not in America and not in this England. The only thing that varies is the degree of rot
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 12:49am On Oct 28, 2007
Teriba i agree with you. Indeed even the US is not immune from electoral fraud but the beauty of their form of democracy is the built in system of checks and balances. While the Americans can trust their Senate to remove a bad president if they so wish, can we rely on the band of brigands we have iin the house of reps?

While being "realistic" we should also not fall into the trap of rationalising failure on the altar of "afterall this is Nigeria".

folahann:

don't yo believe in prayers.
Please pray for Yar'Adua and Nigeria

While the politicians told us to close our eyes and pray, they carried the treasury and emptied it in Switzerland. A new set have told us to close our eyes and pray again.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Teriba(m): 12:59am On Oct 28, 2007
vigasimple:

First and foremost, The judiciary was freed by OBJ. He didn't try to stiffle them like all the people before him.

He may not obey some of the decision or on time but he allow them to rule even when it is against him. Rememebr all those proceddings by ATIKU etc.

Also OBJ should be given credit for 'selecting' YAR ADUA because he is by far the better of all the other candidates including Bhuari, Atiku and all the Governors. He is a safe pair of hands in most peoples opinion and less corrupt. So OBJ definitely have good intentuions for Nigerians, even if you think he is trying to cover his back. He could have as well 'select' either IBORI or ODILLI and still cover his back.

Whether or not he prosecute OBJ, IBB etc is another matter for reasons that may only be well know to him.

The other problem is that it is the PDP that put Yar Adua in office and I am afraid he is unlikely to prosecute all the Governors that ' gave way' for him. IBORI , ODILLI etc

I for one don't think that Yar ADua has the 'toughness' required to govern Nigerians.

However, if he is able to appoint people who can do that for him because of his health and the type of person he is (his personality and demeanour) and just apply intellectual approach to the challenges then he stand a chance.

But seeing from his appointments and pronoucements so far I think he is many miles away from making any serious impact. (Maybe he needed OBJ- as if you will remember OBJ single handely campaign for him on campaign rounds and 'annointing him' among his fellow governors)

I hope he can sleep one night and God to visit him and explain how to run the country properly.

As far as I am concern, it is all soundbite- where is the War (state of emergency) on Energy/Power and all the other 7 progamm agenda.

I will pray for new things and beginings because it appears that it is just business as usual. Remember OBJ promised Electricity in 1999 and 8 years later, it even got worse. NIGERIANS WE NEED SERIOUSE PRAYERS FOR GOD TO TAKE CONTROL AND BY HIS SPECIAL GRACE HE WILL TAKE CONTROL OF MINDS OF OUR LEADERS TO START TO RUN THE COUNTRY PROPERLY.

Bro, did you write this b/c you were in a hurry to hit your bed or something ?
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Teriba(m): 1:12am On Oct 28, 2007
davidylan:

Teriba i agree with you. Indeed even the US is not immune from electoral fraud but the beauty of their form of democracy is the built in system of checks and balances. While the Americans can trust their Senate to remove a bad president if they so wish, can we rely on the band of brigands we have iin the house of reps?

While being "realistic" we should also not fall into the trap of rationalising failure on the altar of "afterall this is Nigeria".

cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 1:18am On Oct 28, 2007
Is nigeria really going to change and be better one day
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 1:25am On Oct 28, 2007
folahann:

Is nigeria really going to change and be better one day

yes, when we stop closing our eyes in never-ending "prayers" and start holding our government officials accountable.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 1:28am On Oct 28, 2007
How could somebody hold Yar'Adua accountable, is that not out of our hands
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 1:29am On Oct 28, 2007
folahann:

How could somebody hold Yar'Adua accountable, is that not out of our hands

What a pity. No wonder our "leaders" loot the treasury with impunity. The people themselves dont even know their rights.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 1:43am On Oct 28, 2007
Remember we are in Africa
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Kobojunkie: 2:41am On Oct 28, 2007
folahann:

Remember we are in Africa

That my friend happens to be the reason we continue to be where we are today, we continue to MAKE EXCUSES and condone this stupidity all cause We somehow believe cause it is AFRICA , it is to be SO, RUBBISH!!!! We have a democracy NOW, it is up to the people to get up and learn when to say NOW We want to do things the way we want it regardless of what the likes of IBB and others want instead.

de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s)
n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies

1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.

Is What we have today really what the people want ?? or are the people too chicken to want to do anything about it ??
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2007
@ Kobojunkie
Could you start please
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by ricflare(m): 3:28pm On Oct 28, 2007
@poster
I wish i could give Yar-Adua 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years in office
He is the president Nigeria has been looking 4 for years
If u were the president Nigeria would have been like ur street
grin HEhehhe grin
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by labiyemmy(m): 3:31pm On Oct 28, 2007
Nairaland armchair ctitics at work.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2007
folahann:

@ Kobojunkie
Could you start please

I already have @Folahann,  I am however expecting more and more of us to realize that this is democracy and start loosing the fears and ideas of yesteryears and going for things any which way they can.

Here is what I have realized from when I was young in that country, even during military rule, the government only has so much influence on the daily lives of the people. People could come together to rebuild their own community, maintain things as they wished and even decided who would be local government head or not without much interference from the then military government but yet, people did not really put much stock in doing for self but we kept blaming the government for this and that knowing fully well that the chances of them actually doing much for us was really minute. I did live in a community were we had some good nigerians who tried their best to do make the community a good one and it worked well for a time until other people decided not to care and that was when things started to fall apart. From all that, I learnt that the fate of the country is not really to be determined by the government but the people. Now that we have a democracy, we still find it easier to blame the government than for us to get off our butts and do for self and that happens to be the sad thing I see in that country. We as a people have the skills and the resources if we wanted to but DO WE REALLY WANT CHANGE?? or ARE WE JUST BETTER AT PLAYING THE BLAME GAME than ANYTHING ELSE
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by DisGuy: 1:55am On Oct 29, 2007
We as a people have the skills and the resources if we wanted to but DO WE REALLY WANT CHANGE?? or ARE WE JUST BETTER AT PLAYING THE BLAME GAME than ANYTHING ELSE
I think this thread alone answers the question.

I think yaradua should stop respecting the 'rule of law' too much,
to get things done in a country like that, you have to be (a bit) autocratic!
Obasanjo (and a lot of leaders) actually got things done this way
the people including the governors still want to be held by the hands
they don't have their own mind

We've heard enough of his anti-corruption stance, the LG and state government should be made to drive that home!
It's about time people start holding the LG chairmen and state governors responsible for the conditions in their immediate environment
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Oct 29, 2007
I still have a problem with all that and my problem happens to be why the people are not now saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, It is like you enslave people for so long and then a change comes and they are still in slave mode and can not seem to understand that the tides have turned and this time they have more power by default. Why are more and more Nigerians not stepping up to say this is time to STAND AND FIGHT if we have to, for control?? I am sure there are those who are doing it but since this is democracy, majority rules, why are we still not the majority in the cry for complete halt of the stupidity??

Why in the world would a governor supposedly elected by the people need to have his hands held by the old goons who we did not want in the first place?? I see so many things wrong with that picture that I do not even know where to start.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 3:11am On Oct 29, 2007
Dis Guy:

I think this thread alone answers the question.

I think yaradua should stop respecting the 'rule of law' too much,
to get things done in a country like that, you have to be (a bit) autocratic!
Obasanjo (and a lot of leaders) actually got things done this way
the people including the governors still want to be held by the hands
they don't have their own mind

I dont think Yar Adua's problem is his consistent and boring harping on the "rule of law". He strikes me as a man who is at sea, he doesnt know what to do. He had no specific goals of how to run government; this was a man who was too sick to bother with a televised national debate and YET still won the elections - only in Nigeria.

What were his pre-election promises? For a man who obviously knew he would be (s)elected into office in April, why did it take him 2 months to set up a cabinet?
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by McKren(m): 3:15pm On Oct 29, 2007
N-Joy

Already judging a man that is only 5 months in government - something is fundamentally wrong with Nigerians.

the same lousy questions and the same lousy contributions - I pray one of you becomes the PResident one day - but with these comments - I doubt if you can rule your homes succesfully.

Dont mean to be rude
But if every government spend 5months of their tenure doing nothing by a child's 40th Birthday he would have lost 50months of Government diservice and thats equivalent to over 4years.

Nigeria is in the sorry state it is because people refuse to ask questions and yes something is fundamentally wrong with Nigerians but not exactly how you mean it.

Like Daviddylan will put it, people dont do on-the-job training with the Presidency.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by DisGuy: 12:23pm On Oct 30, 2007
davidylan:

I don't think Yar Adua's problem is his consistent and boring harping on the "rule of law". He strikes me as a man who is at sea, he doesnt know what to do. He had no specific goals of how to run government; this was a man who was too sick to bother with a televised national debate and YET still won the elections - only in Nigeria.

What were his pre-election promises? For a man who obviously knew he would be (s)elected into office in April, why did it take him 2 months to set up a cabinet?

There are no specific ways to run Nigeria in my opinion.

The seven point agenda were his pre-election promise grin

It probably took him that long because they were to be nominated mainly by the party and their respective state governments, as you can see there no one is crying about marginalisation (not as much as before)
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by stanech: 2:30pm On Oct 30, 2007
@ Topic

He messed it all up with the UNITY GOVT stuff.

Ima
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 30, 2007
Dis Guy:

There are no specific ways to run Nigeria in my opinion.

no wonder Nigeria is drifting around like a rudderless ship with no captain. We will be capsizing very soon, due process and all.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 7:37pm On Oct 30, 2007
God help nigeria, wait we must first help ourselves
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Kobojunkie: 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2007
I heard the Etteh woman whose issue has held up the house for over 5 months now has finally stepped down. I wonder what other excuse these goons will use to continue to waste our money fighting instead of working. Heck, I wonder how much longer the Nigerian people will allow them get away with such stupidity.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by DisGuy: 2:58am On Oct 31, 2007
Kudos to the person that blew the whistle on the renovation scam cool
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Nobody: 3:55am On Oct 31, 2007
Dis Guy:

Kudos to the person that blew the whistle on the renovation scam cool

Dont say kudos yet, it must have been a disgruntled fellow who probably didnt get the contract he wanted who cried foul.
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by DisGuy: 4:34am On Oct 31, 2007
All the same kudos, may he (and his kind) continue to lose and cry foul cheesy
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by toshmann(m): 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2007
africa is in chains. and to liberate us from those chains it will take blood. real blood. but whose blood? that is the problem. abiola said it will take more than the ballot to remove power from the military oligarchy, he was right. he gave his life. but abiola's life is not enough. we need to get to a situation where the govt will fear the people. if govt fears the people, they'll be careful not to annoy the people, and scandals like the ette saga wont take more than 48hrs to get the culprit booted out. b/c the house of rep will fear the people. but in naija the people fear the govt, cant protest, cant go on effective strike, cant defend our votes, accept rigged elections, accept the rubbish our leaders throw to us, etc

how can the govt fear the people. . . . i'm afraid, in africa(naija in particular) there is only one answer. . . violence. b/c if we demonstrate too much the police will shoot us to death and nothing happens, we may need to be more aggressive , make the land ungovernable and uncomfortable for looting leaders, that way they'll take the people serious.

e.g, though this is a bad e.g, in the niger-delta, the govt will not joke with the statements of mend/asari etc. imagine if the whole country was full of I50 million asari dokubos. . . . . .are you getting my point now.

h
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Oct 31, 2007
LMAO!!! first off, Abiola did not die for me, He died cause it was his time and good too cause after all the billions he too took from us, infact, he is one of the main reasons Nigeria is where it is now. Please learn of the history of these folks Abeg!!
Re: Criticise Yar'adua Here by folahann(m): 12:45am On Nov 01, 2007
There is nothing wrong with nigeria, only the mentality that we are Africans.
Is Yar'Adua back from Germany

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Former Governor Of Bayelsa State, Dieprieye Solomon P Alamieyeseigha And Gej / Igbos Remain Pillar Of My Govt - Jonathan / I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.