Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,636 members, 7,905,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 11:27 AM

Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? (780 Views)

Me And The President Are On Half Salary - Vice President Yemi Osinbajo / Etcetera – “mr. President, Are You For Real?” / Nigerian Army FULLY In Control Of MAFA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? by maclatunji: 3:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? I doubt!

After reading this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17308416 and other related stories, I am pressed to wonder whether my country's sovereignty has been handed to some other country's leader(s). The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, actually authorized a Special Forces operation in Nigeria which we only got to know-of because it went wrong resulting in the death of a Briton, Chris McManus and an Italian Franco Lamolinara who had been captive held by militants in Sokoto state since last may. This has sparked a diplomatic dispute between the Italians who feel insulted that they were not given information prior to the commencement of the operation and the British who feel they did the right thing.

Hold on a second here, shouldn't Nigerians be angry that foreign forces are carrying-out covert operations on our soil without our consent? I doubt that Nigeria's parliament, the National Assembly gave approval for foreign forces to conduct (c)overt operations in Nigeria. Now, we all have to deal with its disappointing aftermath.

While we have been told that the Nigerian Military was involved, one cannot help but imagine that they were "cheer leaders" in the operation.

If the British had any respect for Nigeria and its military, they should have allowed Nigerian security agencies deal with the situation in our country and not bring-in their own "highly trained and equipped special operations force" to engage in what has proven to be an unwise fiasco that has led to the unfortunate death of these two foreigners.

Why did President Goodluck Ebele Azikwe Jonathan not insist that Nigeria would handle the situation and that no foreign forces would be allowed to engage the kidnappers? My only guess is that he actually felt that the British forces could do no wrong and are next-to-perfect whilst showing a lack of faith in his own forces. He is the Commander-in-Chief of Nigeria's Armed Forces for God's sake, how about showing some greater faith in your own military?

This makes it clear to me that the Nigerian President is proving to be weak and not confident-enough to face the challenges of leadership in Africa's most populous nation.

President Jonathan, please wake-up, leading Nigeria is not a tea party. If you lack adequate knowledge to lead in certain areas, get competent advisers and aides. A leader cannot know everything and must find competent people to guide him when difficult decisions are to be taken.

You have not spent up to two years into your four-year term but Nigeria and its citizens keep getting embarrassed by many of your rather poor decisions.

It is time to step-up your game Mr. President, enough is enough!

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2012/03/mr-president-are-you-really-in-control.html
Re: Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? by Beaf: 4:05pm On Mar 09, 2012
Did you read this part of the BBC story you quoted (it is at the very top)? Abi you just wan lie?

Chris McManus, 28, from Oldham, Greater Manchester, and Franco Lamolinara died in the bid by UK Special Forces and Nigerian military on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17308416

Maybe it will help your rumours better if you can also claim that David Cameron gave orders to the Nigerian army to join the fight! grin
Re: Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? by maclatunji: 4:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
maclatunji:

Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? I doubt!

After reading this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17308416 and other related stories, I am pressed to wonder whether my country's sovereignty has been handed to some other country's leader(s). The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, actually authorized a Special Forces operation in Nigeria which we only got to know-of because it went wrong resulting in the death of a Briton, Chris McManus and an Italian Franco Lamolinara who had been captive held by militants in Sokoto state since last may. This has sparked a diplomatic dispute between the Italians who feel insulted that they were not given information prior to the commencement of the operation and the British who feel they did the right thing.

Hold on a second here, shouldn't Nigerians be angry that foreign forces are carrying-out covert operations on our soil without our consent. I doubt that Nigeria's parliament, the National Assembly gave approval for foreign forces to conduct (c)overt operations in Nigeria. Now, we all have to deal with its disappointing aftermath.

While we have been told that the Nigerian Military was involved, one cannot help but imagine that they were "cheer leaders" in the operation.

If the British had any respect for Nigeria and its military, they should have allowed Nigerian security agencies deal with the situation in our country and not bring-in their own "highly trained and equipped special operations force" to engage in what has proven to be an unwise fiasco that has led to the unfortunate death of these two foreigners.

Why did President Goodluck Ebele Azikwe Jonathan not insist that Nigeria would handle the situation and that no foreign forces would be allowed to engage the kidnappers? My only guess is that he actually felt that the British forces could do no wrong and are next-to-perfect whilst showing a lack of faith in his own forces. He is the Commander-in-Chief of Nigeria's Armed Forces for God's sake, how about showing some greater faith in your own military?

This makes it clear to me that the Nigerian President is proving to be weak and not confident-enough to face the challenges of leadership in Africa's most populous nation.

President Jonathan, please wake-up, leading Nigeria is not a tea party. If you lack adequate knowledge to lead in certain areas, get competent advisers and aides. A leader cannot know everything and must find competent people to guide him when difficult decisions are to be taken.

You have not spent up to two years into your four-year term but Nigeria and its citizens keep getting embarrassed by many of your rather poor decisions.

It is time to step-up your game Mr. President, enough is enough!

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2012/03/mr-president-are-you-really-in-control.html

Re: Mr. President, Are You Really In Control? by nduchucks: 4:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
maclatunji:

mclatunji, you are on point here. The botched military operation caused the killing of Nigerian citizens by foreign troops who had the authorization of Nigeria's President to do so. This is a shameful and impeachable act by the President. SMH

(1) (Reply)

YOUWIN Scam? / Panel Probe Report Accuses 69 Oil Companies Of Embezzling N241bn Subsidy Fund / Okorocha, Imo Workers On Collision Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.