Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,991 members, 7,963,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 08:28 AM

Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? - Foreign Affairs (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? (185651 Views)

Why Are They So Many White People In Accra? / Why Are White People Claiming Africa ? / South Africa Is Racist Towards White People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (162) (Go Down)

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
GH^KWAME:
And by swag, progress and right direction, you mean, earning a livelihood by false pretence(419), kidnapping and other social vices which happens to be your number one foreign export from your mumudom abi?
look who's talking about social vices damn, so much for being populous
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Moratiwa: 12:18pm On Jan 06, 2014
scipher: your response is always baseless
Fact,Economic growth without development is meaningless.
*Vietnam has a GDP of about $146 billion with a population of 92 million but is doing much better than Nigeria in terms of infrastructure development.
*Fix your basic services first,Lesotho is much better compared to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2014
Moratiwa:
*Vietnam has a GDP of about $146 billion with a population of 92 million but is doing much better than Nigeria in terms of infrastructure development.
You are becoming a laughing stock by the end of the day. Saying Lesotho is better than Nigeria just make your comment looks out place. There is this very idea that Nigeria is all sh*t when we know that the supper strength of Nigeria exceed that of SA in a large margin despite the faces of dirty environment.Please, you have no argument there. Try something else better.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Moratiwa:
you people lack comprehension skills.. I addressed your claims pages ago... perhaps. your brain is hitting a bad sector
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 12:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:

Where are you getting that idea from that India economy is larger than all countries in Europe? I can't seem to understand where you are headed with such bogus information. Indeed, Germany, France,UK,etc economies are larger than India's economy. Bwahaha... Forget about standard of living. It will get into place as soon as the economy advances. Hahaha...

Go Nigeria.Go defeat SA!

My bad, I should've mentioned that I'm using the GDP PPP and not nominal. PPP in my view is a better indicator.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
paniki:

My bad, I should've mentioned that I'm using the GDP PPP and not nominal. PPP in my view is a better indicator.
PPP is better indicator for per capital as income earner not for the total country progress and size. Nobody will use that to define any country economic progress. Lol...

Nigeria is moving. Nigeria is going to defeat SA very soon. Go Nigeria!
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:

False pretense you mean by investing in your economy. GLO is there in your telecommunication sector doing well, our marketers are paying taxes therefore increasing your internal revenue generation, [s]your president begged Innoson to construction assembly plant in Ghana,etc. Nigerians probably contribute more to your country survival than Ghanaians[/s]. Jeez!

You are not seeing that your citizens have become petroleum criminals in Nigeria lately.Bwahaha...

Is that the lie they told you? Which glo is doing well? Ghana is saturated in the telecom sector, its obvious nigerians are the ones patronising glo! No sane Ghanaian will leave MTN and Vodafone and opt for glo. We Ghanains have taste 0k!

Always lying to save face, can you please give a link to your delusional lie about the Ghanaian president appealing for innoson to establish a plant in Ghana? No Ghanaian, I repeat No logical Ghanaian will buy that piece of crap!

Your companies need a Ghana branch to have the international appeal! Ghana is the service sector of West Africa, we are not oil dependent, we are food sufficient, we export electricity to Togo, Benin, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast, countries like nigeria sends government led delegation to learn how to cultivate cassava in Ghana.... http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=26609

Nigerians are paying taxes in Ghana, but we are still kicking them out, hahahha!

3 Likes

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Moratiwa: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:
PPP is better indicator for per capital as income earner not for the total country progress and size. Nobody will use that to define any country economic progress. Lol...

Lol,we didn't know there was war going on,anyway,More African Nations need to follow Nigeria and Angola's growth models then maybe Africa as a continent can finally get some respect.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 12:40pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:

Hahahah, foreign companies will only come into your country if the are convinced that the is a market that can consume their product. PPP is a good indicator for that.

It's true that Nigeria is moving just like SA is moving. The difference is that SA is focusing on sustainable growth(building infrastructure, educating the population, etc) and not creative accounting like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 06, 2014
GH^KWAME:

Is that the lie they told you? Which glo is doing well? Ghana is saturated in the telecom sector, its obvious nigerians are the ones patronising glo! No sane Ghanaian will leave MTN and Vodafone and opt for glo. We Ghanains have taste 0k!

Always lying to save face, can you please give a link to your delusional lie about the Ghanaian president appealing for innoson to establish a plant in Ghana? No Ghanaian, I repeat No logical Ghanaian will buy that piece of crap!

Your companies need a Ghana branch to have the international appeal! Ghana is the service sector of West Africa, we are not oil dependent, we are food sufficient, we export electricity to Togo, Benin, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast, countries like nigeria sends government led delegation to learn how to cultivate cassava in Ghana.... http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=26609

Nigerians are paying taxes in Ghana, but we are still kicking them out, hahahha!

I am right that GLO telecommunication is still live and sound in Ghana.Your government even planned to discourage it from investing in your country with shady practices but didn't succeed. We understand SA is probably behind that because they are scared of competition. GLO is ready to make calls and subscription very cheap. The truth will surface one day.

The LINK to your country pleading for Innoson to build assembly plant.

Service sector for West Africa only in your delusional mind. Ghana that cannot even develop a good road infrastructure, railway, quality housing,etc is claiming to be West Africa social service leader. That is cracking me up.Keep living in your delusion. Bwahaha...
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
GH^KWAME:

- Ghana is the service sector of west Africa
- we export electricity to Togo, Benin, Ivory Cost and BF.....

kindly elaborate on the above.. I'm so lost
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 06, 2014
paniki:

Hahahah, foreign companies will only come into your country if the are convinced that the is a market that can consume their product. PPP is a good indicator for that.

It's true that Nigeria is moving just like SA is moving. The difference is that SA is focusing on sustainable growth(building infrastructure, educating the population, etc) and not creative accounting like Nigeria.
Foreign companies will invest in a country that can provide enabling environment, guarantee high profits, security and other factors not PPP. Consuming nation is not an indication and China is a good example of non-consuming nation(it just started doing that recently).

SA sustainability is questionable as there is no indication that it can be competitive with its own products in the world leaving MTN out of the equation. Nigeria Dangote Group, The banking sector, telecommunication, indigenous companies are growing and going places. It will only take time to see them get there. So, Nigerian plan looks more sustainable for the future than SA talking about economic empowerment that has not work.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 1:24pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:

I am right that GLO telecommunication is still live and sound in Ghana.Your government even planned to discourage it from investing in your country with shady practices but didn't succeed.

Alive and sound in your imagination! Ghana is governed by rule of law, glo wanted to bring the jagajaga style of doing business in Nigeria, but had to towed the line in Ghana or be booted out.

all4naija:

We understand SA is probably behind that because they are scared of competition. GLO is ready to make call and subscription very cheap. The truth will surface one day.

Stop blaming others for your inabilities. Mtn is a runaway competitor in Ghana, glo is the last on everyone's mind in Ghana. The truth is only in your head.

all4naija:

your president
begged Innoson to construction
assembly plant in Ghana,etc.
Nigerians probably contribute more to
your country survival than Ghanaians.
Jeez!

all4naija:

The LINK for the your country pleading for Innoson to build assembly plant.

Ermm! Please, I want you to quote the part where the president of Ghana begged innoson to establish a plant in Ghana from that link, you delusional liar!

all4naija:

Service sector for West Africa only in your delusional mind. Ghana that cannot even develop a good road infrastructure, railway, quality housing,etc is claiming to be West Africa social service leader. That is cracking me up.Keep living in your delusion. Bwahaha...
buhahahahahhaah!!!! Keep deceiving yourself huh?

Benin, Togo ask for more power from Ghana.............. "Benin and Togo have made a joint request to the Ghana government to
supply them with more power, since their power situation is more desperate than Ghana’s.

The Electricity Company of Ghana(ECG) made history on Friday when it
became the first company in the West African sub-region to pioneer the supply of power to villages on the borders of neighbouring countries.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 06, 2014
GH^KWAME:

Alive and sound in your imagination! Ghana is governed by rule of law, glo wanted to bring the jagajaga style of doing business in Nigeria, but had to towed the line in Ghana or be booted out.

Stop blaming others for your inabilities. Mtn is a runaway competitor in Ghana, glo is the last on everyone's mind in Ghana. The truth is only in your head.

Ermm! Please, I want you to quote the part where the president of Ghana begged innoson to establish a plant in Ghana from that link, you delusional liar!

buhahahahahhaah!!!! Keep deceiving yourself huh?

Benin, Togo ask for more power from Ghana.............. "Benin and Togo have made a joint request to the Ghana government to
supply them with more power, since their power situation is more desperate than Ghana’s.

became the first company in the West African sub-region to pioneer the supply of power to villages on the borders of neighbouring countries.

Nigeria to export more electricity to Benin, Togo, Ghana others
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2012/10/nigeria-to-export-more-electricity-to-benin-togo-ghana-others/

Nigeria supplies Ghana Electricity through WAGP
(neutral website) http://www.energyglobal.com/news/pipelines/articles/Nigeria_supplies_Ghana_through_WAGP.aspx#.Usqu5_QW2Fk

still puzzled

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by PetroDolla2: 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija:

False pretense you mean by investing in your economy. GLO is there in your telecommunication sector doing well, our marketers are paying taxes therefore increasing your internal revenue generation, your president begged Innoson to construction assembly plant in Ghana,etc.Nigerians probably contribute more to your country survival than Ghanaians. Jeez!

You are not seeing that your citizens have become petroleum criminals in Nigeria lately.Bwahaha...

such a fvcked up ape! how is glo doing well in Ghana? it is the least patronised among the six main telecomm company in Ghana. hahahaha I won't be surprised at all if they decide to pack their bags and head back to nigeria one of these days. Can any sane person leave MTN, airtel, Vodafone,Tigo for such a useless, clueless company? even back in your country glo is a total flop.

Did you say our president begged Innoson? so since Innoson did not come to Ghana the economy of Ghana has since collapsed, abi? Leaders have a duty to attract investments into their country, so what's strange? sh1tnigeria grin
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by PetroDolla2: 2:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
scipher:
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2012/10/nigeria-to-export-more-electricity-to-benin-togo-ghana-others/

(neutral website) http://www.energyglobal.com/news/pipelines/articles/Nigeria_supplies_Ghana_through_WAGP.aspx#.Usqu5_QW2Fk

still puzzled
hahahahaha another fuelish mumugerian. sh1tnigeria can't even supply electricity to its own people not to talk of supplying even one megawatt of power to anybody. you need to flush out the tons of generator fumes you've inhaled.https://www.nairaland.com/782012/flushing-out-inhaled-generator-fumes so supplying natural gas through WAGP is now the same as supplying electricity? hahahahahahahahah I dey laugh ooooo
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by PetroDolla2: 3:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija: Poor Ghana without single billionaire on the Forbes list citizen cannot claim rich here.That is laughable, man! Oh! Poor Ghanaians!
now I know nigerians are truly phucked. they are not known as foooools for nothing http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ you are 'celebrating' mumugerian billionaires? hahahaha you are the most stvpid animal ever created,huh? yes, you better tell me thank you for telling you the truth, ape. grin so what has the emergence of those billionaires done for your sh1thole? your people ,90% of who survive on less than $2 a day, are feeding fat from the dustbin despite your billionaires? grin http://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html you have billionaires and yet more than 120 million of your people don't have access to electricity? https://www.nairaland.com/1314971/120m-nigerians-without-electricity-fg you have billionaires and yet life expectancy in your sh1thole is 52 years? you have billionaires and and yet your country is so lowly rated on the United Nations Human Development Index? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_Human_Development_Index grin

Jeez, people are even burning themselves up because of poverty grin https://www.nairaland.com/1575652/economic-hardship-fedrick-onuigbo-set

2 Likes

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 3:31pm On Jan 06, 2014
scipher:
^^^A lie told to toddlers, this is a script meant to defraud grannies off their pension in the west! This will pass for a basket mouth joke! Now this is the real story »»»"Ghana’s ruling government has concluded plans to begin export of electric power to Nigeria and other West African countries(Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Niger etc) by 2015....." http://www..com/talk/topic,86848.0.html

Meanwhile »»»Nigeria, highest importer of generator sets
scipher:

still puzzled

Prior to exporting gas to Ghana, you guys were flaring it, Ghana's gas will come onstream by june this year and you guys can continue flaring $$$ away 0k! Besides, you cannot even meet the contractural volume of 120 million cubeet feet perday, you guys are not reliable.

The country cannot rely on Nigeria for
stable and adequate supply of gas for
thermal power generation, Mr. Kirk
Koffi, a Deputy Chief Executive of the
Volta River Authority (VRA) has said.
Current gas supply of 70million cubic
feet per day from Nigeria via the West
African Gas Pipeline for thermal power
generation is 50 million cubic feet short
of the contractual volume of 120million
cubic feet per day.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=289597

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 5:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
all4naija: The generators are for power generating purposes. I don't understand what you are trying to talk about. Are there no generators in Ghana?
More Nigerians dying from inhaling
generator fumes grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
by ARUKAINO UMUKORO
http://www.punchng.com/feature/living-
with-fumes-of-death-more-nigerians-
dying-from-inhaling-generator-fumes/
ARUKAINO UMUKORO writes that
more Nigerians are dying from inhaling
generator fumes even as the country’s
energy sector is comatose grin
In the still of the night, it sneaked in
quietly and lingered dangerously for
hours.
With every breath intake, the deadly
gas known as carbon monoxide, found
in fumes from generators as well as in
car exhausts, sucked lives out of its
hapless victims who were fast asleep.
This was what happened on May 28,
when Mrs. Chinyere Celestine, and four
of her children were found dead in their
home off Goodnews Street, in Azikoro
suburb, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
They were said to have died in their
sleep that night, while the generator
was still on.
The father of the children and husband
of Chinyere, identified as Celestine,
who was said to be in Port Harcourt,
Rivers State, when the tragedy
occurred, had called a neighbour when
he could not reach his wife on
telephone the next day. After several
attempts to wake the victims, the
neighbour raised the alarm that
compelled other neighbours to force
the door open. They found the victims’
lifeless bodies.
A similar incident happened on January
3, when death shattered the usual early
morning quietude of Robiyan, a sleepy
town near Ijoko in Ifo Local
Government, Ogun State.
On that fateful day, residents
discovered the lifeless bodies of an 80
year-old woman, identified as Madam
Kuburat, and her four grandchildren,
including a toddler, in a newly
completed house. The generator, which
was placed in the veranda of the house,
was left running all night while the
doors and windows were locked.
The traditional ruler of the area, Chief
Olu Kujore, remembers the incident
vividly. “It was generator fumes that
killed them. I was still on my bed when
the people living in that area came to
me in the early hours of that morning.
So I dressed up and followed them.
When we got there, I saw all the doors
and windows of the building locked. I
got the boys who followed me there to
force the doors and windows open. In
fact, when they forced it open, we who
were outside felt the gas as it blew
towards our direction. The boys then
opened the front and back door, and
even had to use rags to cover their
noses because of the fumes,” he
recollected with a tinge of sadness.
Today, the building lies desolate.
Different accounts of what could have
caused their death were rife with some
residents insinuating that it could have
been caused by evil spirits. But the
Divisional Police Officer of Agbado
Police Station, Mr. Okere Daniel, put
paid to all the rumours when he earlier
told PUNCH correspondents that he
suspected it could have been fumes
from a generator.
“From the physical examination of the
victims, it is obvious that they must
have died of carbon monoxide. They
were all foaming from the mouth; this
means that they must have been
gasping for breath. A similar thing
happened at Obadofin in 2010, when I
was a DPO at Alafia. A whole family
was wiped off. It was during a festive
period like this; they turned on the
generator and locked it up inside the
house for use overnight,” he had said.
When SUNDAY PUNCH contacted him
on phone, Daniel said there was no
further development on the case as the
family did not suspect a foul play.
“The investigation almost ended at the
point where we took the victims to the
hospital and the post-mortem
examination confirmed the cause of
death. Carbon monoxide is something
that can kill instantly,” he said.
There have been similar cases reported
in the area since then. In April, three
men – Wale Ola, Saka Adeosun and
Kadiri Akanbi, all died in their sleep
after inhaling the fumes from the
generator which was left running at
109 Alakuko Road, Akera, Agbado,
Ogun State, a welder’s shop where the
victims were apprentices.
These deaths are not restricted to
private homes. In July 2008, scores of
people died at a prayer meeting in
Isiala-Ngwa, Abia State, after breathing
in fumes from the generator while
asleep.
Experts have described deaths caused
by inhaling the poisonous fumes from
generators as asphyxiation, which
according to Wikipedia, ‘is a condition
of severely deficient supply of oxygen to
the body that arises from being unable
to breathe normally.’
“We call it an asphyxia death, resulting
from the lack of oxygen. It is like when
you are choked through strangulation,
but this time around (in the case of
generator fumes) you don’t feel it.
Strangulation, which is the inability to
breathe in oxygen, is similar to what
happens with asphyxiation or death
caused by generator fumes; where
oxygen is depleted and there is more of
carbon monoxide,” explained Dr.
Sunday Soyemi, a pathologist at the
Lagos State University Teaching
Hospital.
He further explained that a cherry red
appearance of organs during autopsy is
an indication that asphyxiation was the
likely cause of death.
“Apart from that, there is what we call
the fluidity of the blood, when it looks
as if the blood was diluted with water,
and without a single clot.
“There are other factors, but those are
the two striking ones. Once you see
these two factors on the autopsy table,
the first thing you suspect is
asphyxiation generally,” he added.
Dr. Soyemi also stated that carbon
monoxide from generator fumes was
just one cause of asphyxiation,
explaining that other causes, including
hanging, manual strangulation, less
blood circulation in the body, drug
overdose and drowning could also lead
to asphyxiation.
A toxicologist and senior lecturer in the
department of pharmacology, LASUTH,
Dr. Kayode Yemitan, also explained that
the inhalation of carbon monoxide, no
matter the concentration, is toxic.
“It is a silent killer because you can’t
smell, taste, feel or see it most of the
time. It just keeps accumulating in the
system, especially through the lungs. It
causes its havoc when it enters into the
blood stream, until the person becomes
unconscious. It is an instant killer,
especially when the concentration is
high, as it affects the blood stream
immediately. This is because carbon
monoxide has a higher affinity than
oxygen to the haemoglobin in the red
blood cells and so forms carboxy-
haemoglobin. This displaces the oxygen
and prevents the blood from carrying
out its functions, including transporting
oxygen around the body. That leads to
death,” he said.
Aside the health dangers posed by the
use and abuse of generators at homes,
Dr. Yemitan also expressed fears over
the level of carbon monoxide
concentration in some industries where
the health and safety of workers are not
properly being looked into.
He said, “The workers should be
educated properly to know what to do,
especially in places where fumes are
being generated for a long period of
time. Another problem is that
regulations on the distance between
factories and residential quarters are
not well enforced in Nigeria,” he said.
While there are no accurate statistics
on the number of deaths in Nigeria
annually, experts believe it is quite
high. According to Dr. Soyemi, autopsy
reports have shown between twenty
five and thirty deaths linked to
generator fumes in the last one year,
while in the last four months, there
have been seven recorded cases at
LASUTH.
In terms of state-wide or national
statistics, Dr. Yemitan said the figures
could be higher as some of these deaths
are not reported because some families
bury their dead immediately or refuse
to present them for autopsy for
religious, social or personal reasons.
According to him, the more generators
Nigerians buy, the higher the risk of
inhaling their fumes. Nigeria imports
the highest number of generators and
spends about N2tn on generators
annually.
According to the Director-General of
Centre for Management Development,
Dr Kabir Usman, 60 million Nigerians
spend N1.6tn on generators annually.
“Currently, there are about 60 million
generators in Nigeria at the ratio of one
per household of 2.5 people with an
annual spending of N1.6 trillion,” he
said last year at the launch of the
National Power Training Institute of
Nigeria graduate skills development
programme in Abuja.
This is the more reason why Ehi Iden,
an Occupational Health and Safety
expert, is of the opinion that the public
needs to be better educated on the
dangers of leaving their generators too
close to their rooms.
“Aside from the effect of fumes, you are
also exposed to the risk of explosion
and fire outbreak. Not only that, the
noise generated by these generators
alone is sometimes more than the
acceptable global noise decibel limit,
which is 80 decibels. Living in that
condition for too long could lead to even
more serious health issues, like hearing
impairment. Not only does it affect the
health, these fumes also go into the air
and cause the depletion of the ozone
layer, which contributes to climate
change,” explained Iden.
“Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous
and takes over the areas in the body
system that should have been occupied
by oxygen. That’s why a victim has
difficulty in breathing. Don’t leave the
generator running in an enclosed place,
whether close to the door, at the
corridor or inside the living room,” he
added.
Leaving one’s generator running for too
long also has its general security risk,
he warned.
“I read a story many years ago, where
robbers succeeded in robbing a
residential estate because the
generators were left running
throughout the night and nobody could
hear the screams of the victims. It is
advisable to turn off your generator by
say 11pm or 12 midnight if you turn it
on by 6pm. Don’t leave it till morning.
There is still natural air ventilation.
Don’t because you want to get
maximum sleeping comfort court
danger and cause noise pollution in
your environment. Which is easier, to
die or cope with the situation and
preserve your life?” he asked.
Apart from the fact that the country’s
power sector is in dire straits, the use
of the generators has also become a
defining factor of the economic status
of individuals or households in both
rural and urban areas.
More so, it is affordable for many
across the economic divide as they
come in different shapes, sizes and
prices.
“There is also the euphoria of buying
generators. Once you are able to get it,
you want to show your people that you
have it, and in order to prevent people
from stealing it, you are tempted to put
it inside the house while it is still
switched on,” he said.
Iden added that people should avoid
opening the fuel tank to refill it while
the generator is still running or using
their mobile telephones as torchlight
while carrying out any repair or
maintenance work.
“It is one of the most hazardous things
I’ve seen Nigerians do. The telephone
has a level of radiation and is highly
inflammable. I’ve seen it happen in Port
Harcourt where someone was burnt
beyond recognition,” he noted.
Back in Robiyan, Kujore hopes a such
an incident would not be recorded in
his community. “I told all the
Community Development Association
chairmen and chiefs in the community
to tell their people not to leave their
generators on while they are fast
asleep. We have been hearing and
reading about how it kills. Now we
know it is dangerous to put it in the
house,” he said.
He seems to be practising what he
preached, as the faint sound of a
generator could be heard outside his
palace. “I put my generator outside
because generator fumes are killers. I
buy N7,000 worth of petrol every week
because I’m a baale and my palace
should not be in darkness. So I have a
small and big generator because of the
visitors I host daily. I use the small one
in the morning and the big one at night
so that I would have electricity. It’s not
that I have the money, but I’m
supposed to do it,” he said.
He also told SUNDAY PUNCH that his
community had never in its history
enjoyed electricity supply from the
Power Holding Company of Nigeria,
except in some areas close to the Ijoko
area.
Beyond creating awareness and the
nonchalant attitude of many Nigerians
towards safety measures, the use of
generators has become a ‘necessary
evil,’ especially with the poor state of
power supply in the country, noted
Iden.
“If we must occupy our place in the
comity of nations, we must look inward
and reform the power/energy sector.
People come to Nigeria and wonder
what kind of fumes we generate in this
country. It’s a shame we have to live
with this until the government decides
to take responsibility and ensure that
Nigeria is more habitable for
everyone,” he said, while noting that a
better electricity supply would reduce
the hazards and risks Nigerians are
exposed to daily by using generators.
Presently, the country generates less
than 5,000 megawatts of electricity,
barely enough to meet the needs of
over 160 million people. According to
Dr. Yemitan, from periodic tests
carried out on some patients at
LASUTH, the lung functions of many
Nigerians seem to be reducing, most
likely as a result of inhaling noxious
gases like carbon monoxide in the
atmosphere.
“Carbon monoxide is the major one.
But there are many other culprits like
oxides of sulphur, nitrogen, and
hydrogen sulphide, but maybe not to
the extent of carbon monoxide” he
noted and added that headaches,
nausea, and extreme dizziness, are
warning signs that carbon monoxide
may have accumulated in the body over
a period of time.
Except for a few who can afford to buy
inverters, which do not produce deadly
pollutants, millions of Nigerians may
have no other choice but to keep using
their generators daily in their homes
and industries and live with the health
consequences, maybe not immediately,
but in years to come.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:11am On Jan 07, 2014
POOR GHANAIANS DON'T HAVE A SINGLE BILLIONAIRE ON THE FORBES LIST YET COME HERE TO MOUTH AND BARK LIKE RABID DOGS.NITWITS
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by revolt(m): 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2014
this Ghanaian dudes combos are massive. looioil.

as far as power generation is concerned nobody should defend nigeria.

were richer than Ghana in all resources qualifications esp human but that retrogressive region and it's leaders have held us grin grin grin grin ;Dback for too long.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by MthimbaneZA(m): 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
all4naija: POOR GHANAIANS DON'T HAVE A SINGLE BILLIONAIRE ON THE FORBES LIST YET COME HERE TO MOUTH AND BARK LIKE RABID DOGS.NITWITS

Poor e-puppy you are the 1 who barks the most, the population that u always brag about can be many a times be a disadvantage towards you. I'll rather be a millionaire in Ghana than be a billionaire in Nigeria, for example Ghana has better power conditions than yours for 1 vital aspect.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mthimbane.ZA:

Poor e-puppy you are the 1 who barks the most, the population that u always brag about can be many a times be a disadvantage towards you. I'll rather be a millionaire in Ghana than be a billionaire in Nigeria, for example Ghana has better power conditions than yours for 1 vital aspect.
do you know Ghana experiences power outages like Nigeria? who feeds you peeps this false infos just because we don't spam these threads with links like they do

are you even aware Nigeria supplies gas to Ghana to help her with power?

POWER OUTAGE
SITUATION IN GHANA IS
CRUEL AND SHAMEFUL
africanspectrumonline.com/2013/04/11/power-outage-situation-in-ghana-is-cruel-and-shameful/
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 8:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
scipher: do you know Ghana experiences power outages like Nigeria? who feeds you peeps this false infos just because we don't spam these threads with links like they do

are you even aware Nigeria supplies gas to Ghana to help her with power?

POWER OUTAGE
SITUATION IN GHANA IS
CRUEL AND SHAMEFUL
africanspectrumonline.com/2013/04/11/power-outage-situation-in-ghana-is-cruel-and-shameful/

“The situation in Benin and Togo is worse.” Ghana has reduced the contractual supply of power to Benin and Togo from 90 MW to 35 MW after the destruction of a pipeline belonging to the West Africa Gas Pipeline Project (WAGP) in August 2012.

The cut in power supply to the two countries has resulted in massive load shedding and power disruption in Togo
and Benin between eight and 12 hours or more daily.
Mr Kassa(Benin minister for energy) looked worried, apprehensive and expectant when he pleaded with the
minister to compromise and increase the power supply slightly upwards, but
Mr Buah(Ghana minister for Energy) was firm and said Ghana could only help when the situation in the
country normalised.
Mr Buah’s response created more distress for Mr Kassa and his team, who shoved diplomacy aside and displayed
open worry.

Ghana Commissions New Dam

Ghana solar energy plant set to be Africa's largest

Nigeria, highest importer of generator sets
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
GH^KWAME:

“The situation in Benin and Togo is worse.” Ghana has reduced the contractual supply of power to Benin and Togo from 90 MW to 35 MW after the destruction of a pipeline belonging to the West Africa Gas Pipeline Project (WAGP) in August 2012.

The cut in power supply to the two countries has resulted in massive load shedding and power disruption in Togo
and Benin between eight and 12 hours or more daily.
Mr Kassa(Benin minister for energy) looked worried, apprehensive and expectant when he pleaded with the
minister to compromise and increase the power supply slightly upwards, but
Mr Buah(Ghana minister for Energy) was firm and said Ghana could only help when the situation in the
country normalised.
Mr Buah’s response created more distress for Mr Kassa and his team, who shoved diplomacy aside and displayed
open worry.

Ghana Commissions New Dam

Ghana solar energy plant set to be Africa's largest

Nigeria, highest importer of generator sets
oh cry me a river, Ghana still experiences power outages on a grand scale..
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 8:52pm On Jan 07, 2014
scipher:
oh cry me a river, Ghana still experiences power outages on a grand scale..
At the end of the day, we both know who is watching television powered by a generator.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
GH^KWAME:
At the end of the day, we both know who is watching television powered by a generator.
my link clearly showed how ghanians use generators.... lol.... pot calling kettle black .. they can't even afford generators in Ghana.. you prolly need to read the article smiley

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
scipher: my link clearly showed how ghanians use generators.... lol.... pot calling kettle black
person! Can that linkless link match the links I have posted here?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Jiggaman101: 9:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
scipher: my link clearly showed how ghanians use generators.... lol.... pot calling kettle black .. they can't even afford generators in Ghana.. you prolly need to read the article smiley

Built:

Akosombo Dam - 1020 MW
Kpong Dam - 152 MW (after retrofit)
Takoradi I Power Station - 330 MW
Takoradi II Power Station - 330 MW (after expansion, currently 220 MW)
Sunon Asogli Plant - 200 MW
Osagyefo Barge - 125 MW

UC:
Bui Dam - 420 MW
Tema Osonor Power Project - 126 MW
Cenpower Power Project - 300 MW
Kpone Thermal Power Project - 220 MW
Takoradi II Power Station - 132 MW

Proposed:

GE Power Plant - 1000 MW (type unknown)
Jubilee natural gas plant(s) - 5-600 MW

Tokyo Electric Power Services Co (TEPSCO) - 2000 MW
Jacobson Jelco Ghana Limited - 360 MW
The MacBaron Group - 2000 MW
Mere Power Nzema Ltd - (Solar Project) - 155MW
Total: 4515 MW

TOTAL + Simfan Total: - 12370 MW

These are what is going to take place in Ghana and all these should be done by 2020. We will be exporting to Nigeria come 2020.

http://business.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201309/113684.php

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=265945

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
GH^KWAME:
person! Can that linkless link match the link I have posted here?
are you retarded oh my world, people match links cry
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 9:07pm On Jan 07, 2014

Re: General South Africa Visa
Enquiries

jamescyril:
Hi peeps , I need Ɣ☺ur help. I have someone who needs to send ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ visit letter to south africa and she is a citizen.
How does she go about the letter? Is it from the embassy she needs to visit or
pls jst give ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ a directive.
Option 2: I have an agent who said he can get ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ the visa 3 months multiple entry at the lagos embassy. Charging ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥
150k and would only pay the visa initial fee of 18 and pay the 150k when the visa
is out. Pls I need advice cos this м̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ first
time. Have only used м̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ passport in
Ghana where I skuled..do Ʊ think this
would b an advantage cos м̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ passport containts ghana residence permit wit pleny stamps....pls help ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ and Godbless Ɣ☺u. I need this visa by all means...Thanks...don't hve much money.

https://www.nairaland.com/944102/general-south-africa-visa-enquiries/73#20363246
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by GHKWAME1: 9:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road.

yuzedo:
Lol! Went thru this crap last month.
The foolish immigrations people singled
me out for random search/questioning.
What do you do? I am a Financial Analyst in a Private Equity firm. Ok,
please come down from the bus.
They go through my phone. They go through my laptop! On my laptop they saw the movie "Police Academy" and
raised alarm, what am I doing with sensitive documents eh? Is this not the Police Academy in Kano? This must be
classified info! Who are you and why do you have this on your system?

Chai! See the ignorant, illiterates we entrust our security! I got home at 12am that day after leaving Accra at 7.30am. Meanwhile some days prior to that I arrived accra
at 8pm. All because the Nigeria axis is a failed portion of the journey.
Police Academy, Kano!
https://www.nairaland.com/1222513/journey-accra-lagos-road

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (162)

South African Officers Caught On Camera Having Sex In A Hospital / Gov. / US Presidential Election 2020 (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.