Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,395 members, 7,881,434 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:26 PM

Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? - Foreign Affairs (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? (184205 Views)

Why Are They So Many White People In Accra? / Why Are White People Claiming Africa ? / South Africa Is Racist Towards White People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (162) (Go Down)

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: The same can be said of SA. It is even done openly in SA than in Nigeria.

Why do Nigerians eat human flash?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:29am On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: Even with the present development in SA remove white people for it it will become worst than Zimbabwe. That is a complete fact.

Lol, didn't i show you that life in Zimbabwe is still better than anywhere in Nigeria on the military thread, why not stick to Somalia.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 01, 2013
zetdee:

Why do Nigerians eat human flash?
Nigerians don't eat human flesh. That is an utter lie people are peddling around. I don't understand your question because Nigerians don't eat human flesh, you i-d-i-o-t!
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
zetdee:

Lol, didn't i show you that life in Zimbabwe is still better than anywhere in Nigeria on the military thread, why not stick to Somalia.
I said WORST than Zimbabwe. There is no sense of progress in black South African communities. All they do is attacked innocent people robbing them of their hard earned money and other valuables. Indeed, I don't understand how possible for such people can develop without the white man's input.

I opt South African blacks to wake up every morning and say little pray to the white people of that society for bringing them civilization and development.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by TerryCarr(m): 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: I said WORST than Zimbabwe. There is no sense of progress in black South African communities. All they do is attacked innocent people robbing them of their hard earned money and other valuables. Indeed, I don't understand how possible for such people can develop without the white man's input.

I opt South African blacks to wake up every morning and say little pray to the white people of that society for bringing them civilization and development.
i like most of the black part of the Continent. and define "civilization"
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by TerryCarr(m): 12:58pm On Jul 01, 2013
botswana: With xenophobia rising, electrified border fence hailed

Changate, 23 February 2005 (IRIN) - The word "Zimbabwean" gets Motswana traditional leader Jackson Ofentse hot under the collar.

"Please don't ever mention to me the criminals from across the border," he told IRIN. His village of Changate in northern Botswana is only 5 km from the frontier, and he has nothing good to say about his neighbours.

"Our women can no longer gather firewood in the bush for fear of being raped; our houses are not safe any more, and even our livestock find their way across the border," he complained.

Ofentse is looking forward to the day when the Botswana government flicks the switch on a four-metre high electrified border fence that snakes across the scrubland, ostensibly to control the spread of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) from Zimbabwe.

Two outbreaks of FMD in two years, which hit Botswana's lucrative beef exports to the European Union, were sourced to Zimbabwe. Jobs were lost and thousands of cattle slaughtered.

While the 500-km long fence officially aims to block the mixing of herds on common pasture, Ofentse and many other Batswana hope it will also keep out the thousands of Zimbabweans escaping poverty at home, who sneak cross the border looking for work in more prosperous Botswana.

An estimated 36,000 illegal migrants were deported last year alone and, with xenophobia now firmly on the rise, Zimbabweans have become the target of a growing vigilante movement.

The solar-powered fence, which will deliver a nasty but not fatal 220-volt shock, is due to become operational in June, and will be patrolled 24 hours a day by the security forces. A survey by the Southern African Migration Project found that a majority of Batswana supported its construction.

The villagers of Changate, 140 km northeast of Botswana's second city Francistown, may feel more secure behind the new barrier, but they have lost the perks of proximity to Zimbabwe. Gone are the cheap shopping trips across the border, and easy access to relatives on the Zimbabwean side.

"We had relied on labour from Zimbabwe for a long time. It was also nearer to travel to Plumtree in Zimbabwe to do your shopping than travel to Francistown," explained local journalist Khumbulani Kholi.

Residents in the border villages used to buy cheap Zimbabwean livestock, and enjoyed an easy supply of fruit and vegetables. "When I was growing up, my brothers even went across the border to have a drink in the Nswazi village [in Zimbabwe]," said Kholi.

Now, getting to Zimbabwe entails a two-hour walk to the nearest border post at Maitengwe, and for those who don't have passports, a 140-km journey to the immigration office in Tutume.

"We don't hate Zimbabweans here," said Kholi. "We are only tired of elements that come to steal from us."
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: Nigerians don't eat human flesh. That is an utter lie people are peddling around. I don't understand your question because Nigerians don't eat human flesh, you i-d-i-o-t!

HERE ARE YOUR FATHER'S PEOPLE HAVING A MASS FEAST OF HUMAN FLESH, HAPPENS ALMOST EVERY YEAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ym0g5Tobw&feature=player_embedded
VIEWERS DISCRETION IS ADVISED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3GKm8ik4_o&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia5HH48iKCM&feature=player_embedded
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: I said WORST than Zimbabwe. There is no sense of progress in black South African communities. All they do is attacked innocent people robbing them of their hard earned money and other valuables. Indeed, I don't understand how possible for such people can develop without the white man's input.

I'm certain if Nigeria had white people, they would have all been eaten.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
The videos are very graphic in nature. How did you manage to watch them? Those are Boko Haram. I don't think they are Christians eating human flesh. It looks like it is only one barbaric human being who did that among those in the videos.

https://www.nairaland.com/844710/did-berom-people-eat-roasted

*I puke all over the floor*

Well, you are evil by posting this here for me to see.

In South Africa "Man chokes after eating human flesh". Link below.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/man-chokes-after-eating-human-flesh-1.244092

In South Africa "Human Tissue Found in Meats - but eating it is no threat". Link below.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/03/human-tissue-found-in-meats-but-eating.html
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
zetdee:

I'm certain if Nigeria had white people, they would have all been eaten.
There are white people in Nigeria. I haven't heard about any been eaten. It is only in your delusional mind you think Nigerians are cannibals. But, with what I saw in the videos you posted I am afraid things can never be the same with the way I view some parts of Nigeria, just like the way I view some things about South Africa.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by smokie(m): 2:28pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: There are white people in Nigeria. I haven't heard about any been eaten. It is only in your delusional mind you think Nigerians are cannibals. But, with what I saw in the videos you posted I am afraid things can never be the same with the way I view some parts of Nigeria, just like the way I view some things about South Africa.

I said it before on this thread and I'll say it again. No-one in South Africa cares, or for that matter stresses about what Nigerians, or any other country thinks about us. We only care about what happens inside our country, and our immediate neighbours (Zim, Moz, Nam and Botswana). Nigeria is a world away, and I'm yet to meet any South African who says he wants to go on "holiday" to your country. Nigerians should focus their energy on developing their country, and not worry about South Africa...we're doing okay, not stellar but okay.

That the Netherlands, and later Britain decided to colonise South Africa is something for the history books...we've had colonial oppression, apartheid, and a skewed economy which favoured white people but we're working on rectifying that and have made great progress. In 19 years of black majority rule, South Africa has done better (albeit from a higher base) in providing for its poor than Nigeria has in 50 years of independence. Nigeria has its unique set of problems, and South Africa wants to help it develop but constant suspicion, envy and open hatred won't bring about tangible change to the life of ordinary Nigerians. You country should learn from us, and not envy South Africans because ultimately the African continent will be better off when wealth is spread around, and not concentrated in a few countries.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 2:30pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: There are white people in Nigeria. I haven't heard about any been eaten. It is only in your delusional mind you think Nigerians are cannibals. But, with what I saw in the videos you posted I am afraid things can never be the same with the way I view some parts of Nigeria, just like the way I view some things about South Africa.

You are going to regret posting that first sentence.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 01, 2013
smokie:

I said it before on this thread and I'll say it again. No-one in South Africa cares, or for that matter stresses about what Nigerians, or any other country thinks about us. We only care about what happens inside our country, and our immediate neighbours (Zim, Moz, Nam and Botswana). Nigeria is a world away, and I'm yet to meet any South African who says he wants to go on "holiday" to your country. Nigerians should focus their energy on developing their country, and not worry about South Africa...we're doing okay, not stellar but okay.

That the Netherlands, and later Britain decided to colonise South Africa is something for the history books...we've had colonial oppression, apartheid, and a skewed economy which favoured white people but we're working on rectifying that and have made great progress. In 19 years of black majority rule, South Africa has done better (albeit from a higher base) in providing for its poor than Nigeria has in 50 years of independence. Nigeria has its unique set of problems, and South Africa wants to help it develop but constant suspicion, envy and open hatred won't bring about tangible change to the life of ordinary Nigerians. You country should learn from us, and not envy South Africans because ultimately the African continent will be better off when wealth is spread around, and not concentrated in a few countries.
This is another myopic view I must disagree with. Not because it fails to address the issue of attacks on innocent people in that society but because it fails to see beyond the enclave called South Africa.

There are a lot of opportunities going on in Africa which South Africans are scampering like lab mice looking for ways to create businesses out of them. That you cannot see because you are very introvert in nature and it will continue to make you keep everything within yourself and country in this present generation of global village. I still think many blacks South Africans are not exposed enough to see beyond their nose while the intelligent white among them are going places to do business, even, as far as to Nigeria.

I am less mindful of this your particular comment as it doesn't talk about why your business men are heavily investing in West Africa as a whole if they are not actually interested in other regions than the Southern African as you claimed. Your claim has no base in whatsoever way in this argument and I take it with a pinch of salt.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
paniki:

You are going to regret posting that first sentence.
Why should I regret saying the truth? Aren't there white people in Nigeria? You are the one who is afraid of white people while Nigeria continues to open its border to receive them with open-arms.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: Why should I regret saying the truth? Aren't there white people in Nigeria? You are the one who is afraid of white people while Nigeria continues to open its border to receive them with open-arms.

It's just odd to say that. Maybe the whites in SA are better than the ones in Nigeria.(I'm using your strange way of thinking of cause)
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 01, 2013
paniki:

It's just odd to say that. Maybe the whites in SA are better than the ones in Nigeria.(I'm using your strange way of thinking of cause)
They aren't Nigerians as the ones of South Africa. Most of them are expatriates. The white in Nigeria should be better than the ones in SA because they mostly come from the developed countries of the world. like the USA, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Australia, just to mention but a few where the technology is very advanced.

You keep failing to see how your country will regress rapidly to become the worst in Africa if your white are told to leave the country. The white people have ever been the saviour of that country.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: The videos are very graphic in nature. How did you manage to watch them? Those are Boko Haram. I don't think they are Christians eating human flesh. It looks like it is only one barbaric human being who did that among those in the videos.

https://www.nairaland.com/844710/did-berom-people-eat-roasted

*I puke all over the floor*

Well, you are evil by posting this here for me to see.

In South Africa "Man chokes after eating human flesh". Link below.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/man-chokes-after-eating-human-flesh-1.244092

In South Africa "Human Tissue Found in Meats - but eating it is no threat". Link below.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/03/human-tissue-found-in-meats-but-eating.html

How can you even compare those to that barbarism, its like those silly links you gave as a response when i raised the issue of modern slavery in Nigeria, lol.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2013
zetdee:

How can you even compare those to that barbarism, its like those silly links you gave as a response when i raised the issue of modern slavery in Nigeria, lol.
You have no argument here. You accuse Nigeria of cannibalism and post videos without knowing the same can be said about your South African people.

There is modern slavery going on in SA as well. I think we have argued on that before.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2013

Tell me, why is it that compared to west and central Africans, Southern Africans didn't have cannibalism?

http://m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: You have no argument here. You accuse Nigeria of cannibalism and post videos without knowing the same can be said about your South African people.

There is modern slavery going on in SA as well. I think we have argued on that before.

http://.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 5:00pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: They aren't Nigerians as the ones of South Africa. Most of them are expatriates. The white in Nigeria should be better than the ones in SA because they mostly come from the developed countries of the world. like the USA, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Australia, just to mention but a few where the technology is very advanced.

You keep failing to see how your country will regress rapidly to become the worst in Africa if your white are told to leave the country. The white people have ever been the saviour of that country.

OK, I get it. Nigeria has better whites than South Africa although the ones in SA are the saviours of the country. Full marks?
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
zetdee:

http://.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism
I am not going to respond to your cannibalism post again. It makes me sick to my stomach. Aren't you finding it repugnant to talk about it? Jeez! I think you are crazy!
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
paniki:

OK, I get it. Nigeria has better whites than South Africa although the ones in SA are the saviours of the country. Full marks?
I am glad you are finally opening your mind to understand what I am trying to say. Now you can see things from my own way which is from a civilized perspective. Welcome on-board the civilized world bandwagon.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 5:54pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: I am glad you are finally opening your mind to understand what I am trying to say. Now you can see things from my own way which is from a civilized perspective. Welcome on-board the civilized world bandwagon.

Maybe it's better to say that the whites in Nigeria r@pe the country.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
paniki:

Maybe it's better to say that the whites in Nigeria r@pe the country.
*I scratch the back of my head*

You are beginning to make comments like a sixth-grader. I don't really know if they r@ped Nigeria or not but I can testify to the fact they contribute to the country expatriate skills provision, most especially, in the oil industry. No apartheid, no xenophobia, no animosity against different human colors and just to mention but a few. Unlike SA they are few meaning we can survive without them and still remain what we are. That can not be said of SA.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by paniki(m): 6:42pm On Jul 01, 2013
all4naija: *I scratch the back of my head*

You are beginning to make comments like a sixth-grader. I don't really know if they r@ped Nigeria or not but I can testify to the fact they contribute to the country expatriate skills provision, most especially, in the oil industry. No apartheid, no xenophobia, no animosity against different human colors and just to mention but a few. Unlike SA they are few meaning we can survive without them and still remain what we are. That can not be said of SA.

Lets be honest, whites have been r@ping Nigeria for eternity, they steal Nigerian wealth and leave you guys with crumbs that in turn get looted by your corrupt officials. It's only in the early 2000s when South Africans, the true savious of Nigeria, decided to start industries in Nigeria. At that time, the world had no hope in Nigeria but SA chose to take a risk by bringing seriousness to your country's disorganised dealings - it has paid off seeing that SA companies keep building more in Nigeria dispite the dismal business environment. SA is making huge profit in Nigeria while at the same time making Nigeria appear serious to the world. BUT, as the say, "one step forward, two steps back", whenever SA builds something and gives Nigeria one step forward, you guys make two steps back by bombing each other in silly ethnic and religious wars.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 02, 2013
all4naija: I am not going to respond to your cannibalism post again. It makes me sick to my stomach. Aren't you finding it repugnant to talk about it? Jeez! I think you are crazy!

You guys even to this day are still eating each other, how can you say South Africa would be worst than a hell hole like Nigeria where you still find backward practices like cannibalism and slavery on mass taking place to this day, when they never took place here. Tropical Africans were always less organized and discipline than South Africans, thats why they were easily enslaved. There only part of Afrika where there was resistance to European dominance was in South Africa, how many battles were ever fought between the colonizers and native tribes elsewhere in Afrika. The Zulus were able to defeat the mighty british army which was the greatest in the world at that time, thats why they're respected the world over, the same cannot be said about tropical Afrika, who are associated with slavery and cannibalism, thats why even today these are the most backward regions of Africa When I say South Africa I include the neighbouring countries, all of them were organized and not push-overs like the countries up North. Most of the social ills in South Afrika are a result from years of apartheid, thats something social scientists agree on, so using the current state of the country to argue about how the country would be like if there wasn't apartheid is silly, even stats will show that alot of the social problems in the country were at their peak at the end of apartheid. If whites had left in the 60s like they did in other parts Africa, South Africa would be ahead of tropical countries even though it wouldn't be developed to the extent it is today, because development happens at a faster rate outside tropical regions for various reasons that i won't go into.

I doubt any of these ever happened in west and central Africa, who were easily conquered and enslaved, and today all failed states.

www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/herero-people-defeat-german-forces

www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/zulu-warriors-defeat-british-army-isandlwana-mountain

www.sahistory.org.za/south-africa-1806-1899/anglo-zulu-wars-1879-1896

www.sahistory.org.za/topic/conquest-eastern-cape-1779-1878
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 5:49am On Jul 02, 2013
all4naija: *I scratch the back of my head*

bwahahaha... looks like you're the 6th grader, Nigeria is rated low on every development index, its a bright red on the failed states map, the only thing that gives you the impression that you're surviving is your high birth rate. Nigeria is rated amongst the most racist countries in the world, where religious and tribal violence is a daily reality, i'd say last month alone there were over 200 people killed in tribal violence from the stories i read, thats 3 times the amount of xenophobic killings that have taken place in South Africa since the year 2000.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by TerryCarr(m): 8:27am On Jul 02, 2013
zetdee:

You guys even to this day are still eating each other, how can you say South Africa would be worst than a hell hole like Nigeria where you still find backward practices like cannibalism and slavery on mass taking place to this day, when they never took place here. Tropical Africans were always less organized and discipline than South Africans, thats why they were easily enslaved. There only part of Afrika where there was resistance to European dominance was in South Africa, how many battles were ever fought between the colonizers and native tribes elsewhere in Afrika. The Zulus were able to defeat the mighty british army which was the greatest in the world at that time, thats why they're respected the world over, the same cannot be said about tropical Afrika, who are associated with slavery and cannibalism, thats why even today these are the most backward regions of Africa When I say South Africa I include the neighbouring countries, all of them were organized and not push-overs like the countries up North. Most of the social ills in South Afrika are a result from years of apartheid, thats something social scientists agree on, so using the current state of the country to argue about how the country would be like if there wasn't apartheid is silly, even stats will show that alot of the social problems in the country were at their peak at the end of apartheid. If whites had left in the 60s like they did in other parts Africa, South Africa would be ahead of tropical countries even though it wouldn't be developed to the extent it is today, because development happens at a faster rate outside tropical regions for various reasons that i won't go into.

I doubt any of these ever happened in west and central Africa, who were easily conquered and enslaved, and today all failed states.

www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/herero-people-defeat-german-forces

www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/zulu-warriors-defeat-british-army-isandlwana-mountain

www.sahistory.org.za/south-africa-1806-1899/anglo-zulu-wars-1879-1896

www.sahistory.org.za/topic/conquest-eastern-cape-1779-1878
a can't believe im gonna help all4naija angry but here we go

The Ashanti armies served the empire well, supporting its long period of expansion and subsequent resistance to European colonization.
Armament was primarily with firearms, but some historians hold that indigenous organization and leadership probably played a more crucial role in Ashanti successes. These are, perhaps, more significant when considering that the Ashanti had numerous troops from conquered or incorporated peoples, and faced a number of revolts and rebellions from these peoples over its long history. The political genius of the symbolic "golden stool" and the fusing effect of a national army however, provided the unity needed to keep the empire viable. Total potential strength was some 80,000 to 200,000 making the Ashanti army bigger than the better known Zulu, comparable to Africa's largest- the legions of Ethiopia. The Ashanti army was described as a fiercely organized one whose king could "bring 200,000 men into the field and whose warriors were evidently not cowed by Snider rifles and 7-pounder guns" While actual forces deployed in the field were less than potential strength, tens of thousands of soldiers were usually available to serve the needs of the empire. Mobilization depended on small cadres of regulars, who guided and directed levees and contingents called up from provincial governors. Organization was structured around an advance guard, main body, rear guard and two right and left wing flanking elements. This provided flexibility in the forest country the Ashanti armies typically operated in. The approach to the battlefield was typically via converging columns, and tactics included ambushes and extensive maneuvers on the wings. Unique among African armies, [b]the Ashanti deployed medical units to support their fighters. This force was to expand the empire substantially and continually for over a century, and defeated the British in several encounters.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by TerryCarr(m): 8:37am On Jul 02, 2013
Anglo-Ashanti wars

The Anglo-Ashanti Wars were four conflicts between the Ashanti Empire, in the Akan interior of the Gold Coast, now Ghana, and the British Empire in the 19th century between 1824 and 1901. The ruler of the Ashanti (or Asante) was the Asantehene. The wars were mainly over the Ashanti establishing strong control over the coastal areas of what is now Ghana. Coastal peoples, such as the Fante and the inhabitants of Accra, who were chiefly Ga, came to rely on British protection against Ashanti incursions. T[b]he Ashanti impressively withstood the British in some of these wars but, in the end, the Ashanti Empire became a British protectorate.[/b]

First Anglo-Ashanti War

The First Anglo-Ashanti War was from 1823 to 1831. In 1823 Sir Charles MacCarthy, rejecting Ashanti claims to Fanti areas of the coast and resisting overtures by the Ashanti to negotiate, led an invading force from the Cape Coast. He was defeated and killed by the Ashanti, and the heads of MacCarthy and Ensign Wetherall were kept as trophies. At the Battle of Nsamankow, MacCarthy's troops (who had not joined up with the other columns) were overrun. Major Alexander Gordon Laing returned to Britain with news of their fate.

The Ashanti swept down to the coast, but disease forced them back. The Ashanti were so successful in subsequent fighting that in 1826 they again moved on the coast. At first they fought very impressively in an open battle against superior numbers of British allied forces, including Denkyiras. However, the novelty of British Congreve rockets caused the Ashanti army to withdraw. In 1831 the Pra River was accepted as the border in a treaty, and there were thirty years of peace.

Second Anglo-Ashanti War

The Second Anglo-Ashanti War was from 1863 to 1864. With the exception of a few minor Ashanti skirmishes across the Pra in 1853 and 1854, the peace between the Ashanti and the British Empire had remained unbroken for over 30 years. Then, in 1863, a large Ashanti delegation crossed the river pursuing a fugitive, Kwesi Gyana. There was fighting, with casualties on both sides, but the governor's request for troops from England was declined and sickness forced the withdrawal of his troops.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by TerryCarr(m): 8:46am On Jul 02, 2013
Third Anglo-Ashanti War

The Third Anglo-Ashanti War lasted from 1873 to 1874. In 1869 a German missionary family and a Swiss missionary had been taken to Kumasi. They were hospitably treated, but a ransom was required for them. In 1871 Britain purchased the Dutch Gold Coast from the Dutch, including Elmina which was claimed by the Ashanti. The Ashanti invaded the new British protectorate.

General Garnet Wolseley with 2,500 British troops and several thousand West Indian and African troops (including some Fante) was sent against the Ashanti, and subsequently became a household name in Britain. The war was covered by war correspondents, including Henry Morton Stanley and G. A. Henty. Military and medical instructions were printed for the troops. The British government refused appeals to interfere with British armaments manufacturers who sold to both sides.

Wolseley went to the Gold Coast in 1873, and made his plans before the arrival of his troops in January 1874. He fought the Battle of Amoaful on January 31 of that year, and, after five days' fighting, ended with the Battle of Ordashu. The capital, Kumasi, was abandoned by the Ashanti and was briefly occupied by the British and burned. The British were impressed by the size of the palace and the scope of its contents, including "rows of books in many languages." The Asantahene, the ruler of the Ashanti signed a harsh British treaty, the Treaty of Fomena in July 1874, to end the war. Among articles of the treaty between H.M. Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland and H.M. Kofi Karikari, King of Ashanti were that "The King of Ashanti promises to pay the sum of 50,000 ounces of approved gold as indemnity for the expenses he has occasioned to Her Majesty the Queen of England by the late war..." The treaty also stated that "There shall be freedom of trade between Ashanti and Her Majesty's forts on the [Gold] Coast, all persons being at liberty to carry their merchandise from the Coast to Kumasi, or from that place to any of Her Majesty's possessions on the Coast." Furthermore, the treaty stated that "The King of Ashanti guarantees that the road from Kumasi to the River Pra shall always be kept open..." Wolseley completed the campaign in two months, and re-embarked them for home before the unhealthy season began. There were 300 British casualties.

Some British accounts pay tribute to the hard fighting of the Ashanti at Amoaful, particularly the tactical insight of their commander, Amanquatia: "The great Chief Amanquatia was among the killed. Admirable skill was shown in the position selected by Amanquatia, and the determination and generalship he displayed in the defence fully bore out his great reputation as an able tactician and gallant soldier."

The campaign is also notable for the first recorded instance of a traction engine being employed on active service. Steam sapper number 8 (made by Aveling and Porter) was shipped out and assembled at Cape Coast Castle. As a traction engine it had limited success but gave good service when employed as a stationary engine driving a large circular saw.

Fourth Anglo-Ashanti War

The Fourth Anglo-Ashanti War was brief, lasting only from December 1895 to February 1896. The Ashanti turned down an unofficial offer to become a British protectorate in 1891, extending to 1894. Wanting to keep French and German forces out of Ashanti territory (and its gold), the British were anxious to conquer the Ashanti once and for all. The war started on the pretext of failure to pay the fines levied on the Ashanti monarch by the Treaty of Fomena after the 1874 war.

Sir Francis Scott left Cape Coast with the main expeditionary force of British and West Indian troops in December 1895, and arrived in Kumasi in January 1896. The Asantehene directed the Ashanti not to resist, but casualties from sickness among the British troops were high. Among the dead was Queen Victoria's son-in-law, Prince Henry of Battenberg. Robert Baden-Powell led a native levy of several local tribes in the campaign. Soon, Governor William Maxwell arrived in Kumasi as well. Asantehene Agyeman Prempeh was arrested and deposed. He was forced to sign a treaty of protection, and with other Ashanti leaders was sent into exile in the Seychelles.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 02, 2013
TerryCarr: Third Anglo-Ashanti War

The Third Anglo-Ashanti War lasted from 1873 to 1874. In 1869 a German missionary family and a Swiss missionary had been taken to Kumasi. They were hospitably treated, but a ransom was required for them. In 1871 Britain purchased the Dutch Gold Coast from the Dutch, including Elmina which was claimed by the Ashanti. The Ashanti invaded the new British protectorate.

General Garnet Wolseley with 2,500 British troops and several thousand West Indian and African troops (including some Fante) was sent against the Ashanti, and subsequently became a household name in Britain. The war was covered by war correspondents, including Henry Morton Stanley and G. A. Henty. Military and medical instructions were printed for the troops. The British government refused appeals to interfere with British armaments manufacturers who sold to both sides.

Wolseley went to the Gold Coast in 1873, and made his plans before the arrival of his troops in January 1874. He fought the Battle of Amoaful on January 31 of that year, and, after five days' fighting, ended with the Battle of Ordashu. The capital, Kumasi, was abandoned by the Ashanti and was briefly occupied by the British and burned. The British were impressed by the size of the palace and the scope of its contents, including "rows of books in many languages." The Asantahene, the ruler of the Ashanti signed a harsh British treaty, the Treaty of Fomena in July 1874, to end the war. Among articles of the treaty between H.M. Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland and H.M. Kofi Karikari, King of Ashanti were that "The King of Ashanti promises to pay the sum of 50,000 ounces of approved gold as indemnity for the expenses he has occasioned to Her Majesty the Queen of England by the late war..." The treaty also stated that "There shall be freedom of trade between Ashanti and Her Majesty's forts on the [Gold] Coast, all persons being at liberty to carry their merchandise from the Coast to Kumasi, or from that place to any of Her Majesty's possessions on the Coast." Furthermore, the treaty stated that "The King of Ashanti guarantees that the road from Kumasi to the River Pra shall always be kept open..." Wolseley completed the campaign in two months, and re-embarked them for home before the unhealthy season began. There were 300 British casualties.

Some British accounts pay tribute to the hard fighting of the Ashanti at Amoaful, particularly the tactical insight of their commander, Amanquatia: "The great Chief Amanquatia was among the killed. Admirable skill was shown in the position selected by Amanquatia, and the determination and generalship he displayed in the defence fully bore out his great reputation as an able tactician and gallant soldier."

The campaign is also notable for the first recorded instance of a traction engine being employed on active service. Steam sapper number 8 (made by Aveling and Porter) was shipped out and assembled at Cape Coast Castle. As a traction engine it had limited success but gave good service when employed as a stationary engine driving a large circular saw.

Fourth Anglo-Ashanti War

The Fourth Anglo-Ashanti War was brief, lasting only from December 1895 to February 1896. The Ashanti turned down an unofficial offer to become a British protectorate in 1891, extending to 1894. Wanting to keep French and German forces out of Ashanti territory (and its gold), the British were anxious to conquer the Ashanti once and for all. The war started on the pretext of failure to pay the fines levied on the Ashanti monarch by the Treaty of Fomena after the 1874 war.

Sir Francis Scott left Cape Coast with the main expeditionary force of British and West Indian troops in December 1895, and arrived in Kumasi in January 1896. The Asantehene directed the Ashanti not to resist, but casualties from sickness among the British troops were high. Among the dead was Queen Victoria's son-in-law, Prince Henry of Battenberg. Robert Baden-Powell led a native levy of several local tribes in the campaign. Soon, Governor William Maxwell arrived in Kumasi as well. Asantehene Agyeman Prempeh was arrested and deposed. He was forced to sign a treaty of protection, and with other Ashanti leaders was sent into exile in the Seychelles.

Ha ha ha, are you the thread referee? judging from his many posts I doubt he know any African history. Anyways, thanku for your post, I know Ghana never had any cannibalism or enslaved, you can see the pattern with today's failed states and their history another factor would be Islam. Now all4naija will know why Ghana has always been different from other West African countries, he's an arch Ghanaphobe, go to the military thread and look at the discussion on failed states.

http://.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Africa

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (162)

Gov. / South African Officers Caught On Camera Having Sex In A Hospital / US Presidential Election 2020 (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.