Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,906 members, 7,883,158 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 03:26 AM

Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (1469 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / . / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate by Seun(m): 8:22am On Nov 05, 2007
Sope Scott: some dude spammed me yesterday,
Sope Scott: from your site
Seun: how do you know he/she is from my site?
Sope Scott: An Urgent Message From A Fellow Nairaland Member!
Sope Scott: that was the subject
Sope Scott: I tot it was u
Seun: heh. yeah. hope you dutiully clicked the "report as spam" button?
Sope Scott: ello Friend,

I'm a fellow Nairaland member and I saw your profile from the forum. I have some vital information I feel you may want to know about and that you may possibly thank me for after discovering it. Please use 3 minutes to digest fully.
Sope Scott: I'm pressing charges,
Seun: that's what I do when I recieve such junk. takes 2 secs.
Seun: I'm sure you won't contact Bill Gates if someone sends spam in his name (and they do). cheers!!
Sope Scott: misuse of member info
Seun: there's a "hide my email" option when you register.
Seun: but you know, the fact that they used the name "nairaland" doesn't mean they got your email from nairaland
Seun: so, hmmm, your silence implies that you've been enlightened. cheers!

Sope Scott: nope
Seun: well, give it time. you will eventually grow up (just kidding)

Sope Scott: he got my email from the forum
Seun: are you saying you neglected to click the "hide my email" checkbox? nah, you're a smart guy, you can't make that sort of mistake.

Sope Scott: so you're saying that, if someone gets spammed its none of your biz?
Sope Scott: and u arrogate the responsibility to the user?
Sope Scott: not bad
Seun: i do my best to keep spammers off the forum, but I can't moderate your inbox. that's your duty.
Seun: i recieve up to 50 spam messages every day; they are correctly clasified as spam by google.
Sope Scott: exactly
Sope Scott: always be seen to be making an effort
Seun: one more is not something that can't be handled. just click "report as spam"
Sope Scott: statesments like what u said earlier could really knock people off
Sope Scott: even when u feel its out of your control
Sope Scott: that's how to deal with people and probs
Seun: oh. yeah. I see what you mean. let me try again.
Seun: we are sorry about the spam you recieved.
Seun: to prevent this from happening again, we will activate the email hide feature on your nairaland account right away.
Seun: meanwhile, please be adviced that spammers can use the name of the forum even when your email wasn't taken from the site. being popular makes us a target
Seun: thanks for your kind understanding. regards,
Seun: the nairaland customer care team. We Care (TM) about you.
Seun: may we remove your MSN ID also, since it happens to be an email address?
Seun: sir?
Seun: we are sorry to have offended you and do hope you'll forgive us eventually. wishing you a lovely Friday

At this point, he just logged off, and I felt that was rude. I found the entire attack ridiculous.
As an ex-classmate and 'friend' in school, what's his motivation for wanting to "press charges"?
Is he jealous? If so, of what? I'm a just humble webmaster doing my best to keep my website alive.

1 Like

Re: Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate by niceuzor: 9:40am On Nov 05, 2007
Good Job Seun!!! . . .wait a min. shocked Who is that Guy!!!

(1) (Reply)

Open The File On This Link Http://www.upload-mp3.com/browse/kaskot/29499 / Silly Things People Say / Brian Tracy In Nigeria This August!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.