Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,207 members, 7,880,763 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:25 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10826773 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (19541) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by FBS: 10:18am On Oct 26, 2012
nateevs: Again! Totally wrong. Tippy tappy wins games. Fact! Ask Barca. Ask Borrusia Dortmund.
Seriously I don't mean to be rude (anyways, you know I'm not) cheesy but I'd thought that the most basic requirement in football is to kick it and score. You just don't seem to grasp this aspect.
Before tippy tappy, there were GOALS. I repeat and most will agree with me IT IS GOALS that win you matches. Not the style of play. Your style of play is the instrument used and NOT THE RESULT.
If tippy tappy wins you games how come Barca won nada last season. Why don't they win every match? WTF are you on?

nateevs: Now this is a different point of argument entirely. "Tippy tappy takes time to master" is completely different from "tippy tappy does not win games". You argument lacks cohesion and constructive balance. You are trying to make two different things look like the same whilst arguing only on one side.
Let me give it another try. I'm not against tippy tappy and it can be employed provided you have near total understanding and chemistry among your players. That said, I don't see it as the "in" thing in football. I don't buy it. Heck even Stoke show some flair sometimes but that is not what I'm not about. RESULT is what I'm on about. I'm a thoroughly result oriented individual and I play by the rules. Bottom line is this -SUBSTANCE OVER STYLE = FBS! kapish?

nateevs: Stop mixing two things up. It's harder to master tippy tappy. I quite agree. However, it's folly to attempt to create an argument that suggests that because it is hard to master, it does not win games. In fact, that is the third point you've brought into the argument whilst arguing the same thing.
Again, what I said is this: TIPPY TAPPY NO DEY WIN GAMES IF you don't convert those chances is different from it is hard to master. Yes it takes time but I made it a point saying, I don't expect us to play that style.
I asked you question: What won us UCL last season? again amigo, RESULT!

nateevs: Fa fa fa fowl!!!!. No one plays route one better than Stoke. What have they won? How has it worked out for them?I really love when you glue so much confidence to an empirically-flawed fact and attempt to make it look like a scientifically-backed evidence when in-fact it's all a load of codswallop.
All these your megedefegede trying to look smart is useless. Totally uncalled for. If only you will learn to read or may I don't understand what football is all about. Read again: I'm of the school of thought that football matches should be approached as per opposition (while still maintaining your "style" - whatever that is) because sometimes, you can't just force or impose your style on the opposition. Ask any top manager, they will tell you so. You know crap about this game.

nateevs: "In most cases" grin grin. . What percentage? Give facts and figures. Some guys will not roll away and accept flawed logic all because of a hunch.
lol. Just read above. You know zero about this game. Percentage of what? I'm tired of asking the same question.

nateevs: Nope! Hundreds of millions of pounds did. Never exclude that from any argument you make. Millions won the league after 50 years not a perceived "football style"
This is why I said it is useless to argue or point things out for you. RM Madrid spent loads of money under Pellegrini (maybe only Citeh spent more) and won, yes you guessed right ZERO. Even got smacked out by a "league one" side.
Millions don't win you trophies. All ingredients should be in place. Players, managers, dressing chemistry, management and money. If you don't know, then go read football 101 by FBS. cheesy
How much Inter spend prior to their double? Were they the highest spending team then? they even beat Barca aka tippy tappy en route to lifing the UCL. So Mr empirically gigbbi jabba what are you talking about?
For the record We had a defined style of play - FINISH OFF THE OPPONENT and SHUT Up SHOP- cheesy . One of the best squad Chelsea ever had.
PSG spent massively last season - how many trophies them win? PSG were in first place when Lotti came in, brought in players and still won ZERO! So again, money ain't everything in football. No be mathematics o. cheesy

nateevs: You probably were not watching the league in this season. Go check the stats dude. Tippy tappy won the league. Scored the most goals ever in a single league. Go and review the season. Most especially the games against Aston Villa, Stoke and Wigan. (7-1, 7-0 and 8-1) I hope I got the scores right. We attempted to pass the ball out everytime. No route one dude.
Can't remember missing a single game.
So we were actually playing tippy tappy? seriously? because we scored 7 goals? This must be a joke. At any rate you only confirmed what I said earlier - GOALS WIN YOU GAMES. How you do it is a different thing.

nateevs: You are the one arguing against yourself. No one says other styles don't win games. We are just saying you are wrong saying tippy tappy does not win games. Shey you get the discussu=ion at all?
no sir. cheesy. kindly explain.

nateevs: Dude! Get you argument right. Proponents of tippy tappy are not preachers of non-scoring teams. I have no idea where you got this idea that "tippy tappy" = "you won't score" . Who invented this crap?
answer yourself. does tippy tappy = you will score? Who invented this shyte?

[
nateevs: Substance over style. Who says substance always wins over style. Where are the facts? Who's collated them? Arsenal is not the only club in the world playing "tippy tappy", so why are we conveniently excluding the others? Sebi you watched Spain on in 3 consecutive tournaments?
How many clubs in the world play tippy tappy. Heck what is tippy tappy? cheesy
Spain? before that, how many trophies them get. They were perennial Q/finalists (I stand to be corrected). As said before, just because "tippy tappy" is in vogue does not mean everyone should buy it. heck, it is not the gospel for crying out loud.

nateevs: Why bring up Arsenal every time tippy tappy is mentioned. It's like saying tippy tappy ain't worth it because Wigan don't win jack. undecided undecided Heck West Ham play route-one, they ain't gon' win sh1t.
you are the only one arguing against yourself. TIPPY TAPPY no dey win games neither does one route. GOALS does. You use what's best for you. This is too basic enough for anyone to understand.

nateevs: Tippy tappy wins games! Fact! Ask Barca - 13 trophies in just over 3 years. Beat that.
last season nko? it was so bad their coach even left. Let's just say he was riding the "wave"
If tippy tappy wins games, them Barca should be winning every single match because according to you Mr know-it-all it is a given. WHat a load of utter rubbish.

And you haven't dealt with nada. Infact I'm not even sure I understand what you are saying. or maybe we understand football differently, either way I don write too much sef. wtf. grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by 1025: 10:32am On Oct 26, 2012
Ibime:

Funny guy!!

It doesnt matter which style of footie is employed. The only requirement is use your players to their maximum strengths (something AVB failed to grasp), score goals at the opponents end and keep the defence solid. As long as you dont play Wimbledon/Stoke football, every other form of footie is good as long as it wins matches.

uncle, when u go to a salon to barb ur hair and the barber asks u which style? if you say do it the same way u do paul's, did u first ask if ur skull and that of paul are the same? personally, i hate to hear a team say, we are playing like barcelona. are u barcelona? why can't u play like chelsea, man u or arsenal? be urself as long as u maintain the rules of the games. u don't need to do things to please enemies who speak from both sides of their bodies. we had a winning formula and nobody changes a winning team. something that has been working for us. if we continue been successful with our style of play, nobody will tell these ppl to start playing like us and by so doing doing, u must have activated a brand name for urself and those who want to be as successful as u are.
on a more serious note, barca without plan B proves to be easier to stop these days apart from the refs playing for them. try and watch their last game against servila. 2 goals down before fabregas introduced a basketball skill into football. before fabregas started a bosquet trade mark which reduced servila to 10 men before barca got the space they needed. with the new face of chelsea, the only time i relax while watching chelsea these days is when our opponents are 3 goals down because at 2 goals down, juve had a say. the former chelsea will drain u of any form of water at 1 -0 talk less of 2. like i said, we need more steels in the team than we have now. at a point, barca wanted steel hence they mascherano and song involvements.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by FBS: 10:42am On Oct 26, 2012
1025:

uncle, when u go to a salon to barb ur hair and the barber asks u which style? if you say do it the same way u do paul's, did u first ask if ur skull and that of paul are the same? personally, i hate to hear a team say, we are playing like barcelona. are u barcelona? why can't u play like chelsea, man u or arsenal? be urself as long as u maintain the rules of the games. u don't need to do things to please enemies who speak from both sides of their bodies. we had a winning formula and nobody changes a winning team. something that has been working for us. if we continue been successful with our style of play, nobody will tell these ppl to start playing like us and by so doing doing, u must have activated a brand name for urself and those who want to be as successful as u are.
on a more serious note, barca without plan B proves to be easier to stop these days apart from the refs playing for them. try and watch their last game against servila. 2 goals down before fabregas introduced a basketball skill into football. before fabregas started a bosquet trade mark which reduced servila to 10 men before barca got the space they needed. with the new face of chelsea, the only time i relax while watching chelsea these days is when our opponents are 3 goals down because at 2 goals down, juve had a say. the former chelsea will drain u of any form of water at 1 -0 talk less of 2. like i said, we need more steels in the team than we have now. at a point, barca wanted steel hence they mascherano and song involvements.
Thank you. Folks should stick to what works for them and not trying to be like barca. That statement alone just pisses me off. wtf! cheesy
Some folks (especially nateevs) want us to believe that tippy tappy (and of course FFP grin) is what football is all about. What rubbish.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 26, 2012
@nateevs

I just read your post so i had to edit.
Ok, good to know you know that quality players is key.

Tippy tappy is fancy and good on tv but will only work with good players.
My own point is that i would rather have good players and play bland football and get the results.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2012
The modern day tippy tappy is largely based on the defensive midfielder or no4.

Whilst people might point to likes of Guardiola or Fernando Redondo as progenitors of posession-domination from the no4 position, the idea of modern day tippy tappy has only been overwhelming in the last 10 years, and the father is Xavi.

Since then, we see the likes of Busquets, Leon Britton, Joe Allen et al playing strictly to this blueprint, the main prerequisite of which is brilliance on the half-turn when receiving the ball from the back four.

There is no superiority of one style over the other except for this idea that the no 4, using the simple half-turn can suffocate the life out of the opposition by denying them oxygen.

Apart from this, both direct and tippy tappy teams have skillful players in the final third whether they come in the form of Robben, Duff, Nani, Rooney, Mata or Hazard.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
BlueDiva: @nateevs

I just read your post so i had to edit.
Ok, good to know you know that quality players is key.

Tippy tappy is fancy and good on tv but will only work with good players.
My own point is that i would rather have good players and play bland football and get the results.

Inversely, Players that've got Character? That have all be ma Point from Day 1 of tis Ish cheesy

Ibime:

You are new Chelsea fan. Quaresma barely signed before Scolari was sacked.

Ibime does not subscribe to any style of footie. Don't forget Chelsea was the most flair team in England when ibime became a fan 16 years ago.

Sorry Bro, Quaresma was Brought In by Scolari as an alternative to the Injured Joe Cole who was ruled out for the rest of the season, he stayed to see his Ex Boss get the Sack!

As a matter of Fact, 2004 Been a Fan aint quite 'Soon' U Know -- U're 16Yrs Older cos u had ya Chance, In ya Shoes i'll certainly be Blue from ma Mummy's belly, now thats more like a Centurion Fan
wink

FBS:
son, let me tell something to you cheesy ..
individual brilliance + team effort won us the game against spurs so don't go logical here -it was not tippy tappy. drop it. cheesy abi se cahill's goal was tippy tappy? cheesy

In what tinted Glasses have u been Viewing Our games Lately? If we're not into Tippy tappy tis Season then read to what Fergie has Got here http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/26/sir-alex-ferguson-chelsea-midfield wink
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by 1025: 8:54pm On Oct 26, 2012
nateevs:

I dealt with this issue in my first response to FBS citing how Barca goes on up on Arsenal by the quality of players (mainly strikers) that they chose to spend on.

The said, the point of view is open to debate.

There is no football team in history that has dominated an era without playing good football.
Manchester City have a prolific assembly of players, they have a decent manager and they chosen any style yet they can't even dominate in England let alone Europe.

Real Madrid pre-Mourinho and even in the JM era have spent an absolute fortune on players, they've had their fair share of decent managers, they chosen a style but they haven't dominated football either in Spain or in Europe for close to a decade.

PSG alike and there are several other teams I can point to.

My point is, there is only so much you can win/dominate without a clear, defined and sustained method of playing that permeates to the academies. However, this has become very tedious to explain over the years and much so by the advent of oilgarchs who buy clubs and assemble players without so much thought about continuity and sustenance of a football culture. The perennial spending somewhat renders the choice of and persistence with a football culture almost obsolete.

For that reason, there is a condescending attitude towards the advocation of fluid and passing attacking football. The ignominy can be smelled from a mile away and much so by the birth of the word "tippy tappy". It is almost as if proponents of "tippy tappy" are calling for an inferior and less effective method of football that such calls are met by stern and sometimes almost hateful responses.

Using some of your points to defend mine, route-one can only be sustained by constant fund injection. Only a clearly defined positive footballing culture and philosophy, that permeates to the academy can sustain a football club's image and brand for years to come. The era of throwing money at teams is coming to an end. Therefore only the foundation can sustain clubs henceforth. The strength of this foundation is heavily dependent on the method of play chosen now and adhered to.

I am thankful that the club has seen that this is the way forward as shown with the calibre, age and quality of players we now pursue. Instead of the likes of Hazard, Mata, Oscar, KDB, we would have been looking for the next Essiens, Drogbas, Maloudas.

whether u like it or not, football is about who win at the end of every game or tournament. nobody discuss ball possession and skilful displays outside the result.
swansea city was able to outplay arsenal in what ppl call beautiful football and went ahead to win the game talking about last season yet, arsenal ended at top 4(their usual target) but some other teams had no business with the so-called beautiful football yet they won swansea and had a better position than arsenal.
u mentioned domination over a period of time, did liverpool and man u not dominate the epl or were they playing the primary school football u preach. RDM cannot afford to do trial and error at chelsea because there is a permanent finger on the trigger. those who praised barca and buyern over their domination of the entire games against chelsea have forgotten all that happened in the games yet they can see chelsea players celebrating the trophy. whether a team can throw like stoke or kick and follow like chelsea, all that matters is what they have to show at the end of the season. no matter how u look at it, arsenal fans are not happy unless they are pretending.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 9:56pm On Oct 26, 2012
The greatest Tippy tappy team in football history is Rinus Michels Holland won how many trophies?

ZERO

Infact before 2010 the last time tippy tappy won the world cup was in 1970 40yrs earlier.

So if you are prepared to wait every 40yrs stick to it
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:01pm On Oct 26, 2012
dayokanu: The greatest Tippy tappy team in football history is Rinus Michels Holland won how many trophies?

ZERO

Infact before 2010 the last time tippy tappy won the world cup was in 1970 40yrs earlier.

argentina were tippy-tappy in 86.....brazil were tippy-tappy in 94.....brazil's passage to the world cup in 02 was too easy......so i wouldn't count that!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On Oct 26, 2012
coogar:

argentina were tippy-tappy in 86.....brazil were tippy-tappy in 94.....brazil's passage to the world cup in 02 was too easy......so i wouldn't count that!

Brazil in 1994 was one of the most uncreative Brazil ever. They even had to drop their most creative player and captain Rai after their group games

Argentina of 1986 had only one tactic, Route it to Diego and wait for magic
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 1:36am On Oct 27, 2012
Tippy Tappy does not win trophies in footie?? Hahahaha na Arsenal cause this nonsense sha! Even the Chelsea everyone is using as an example was a one-off. Lol maybe a thorough definition of tippy tappy has to be explained here! What is clear however is you can't consistently be successful playing negative football (not unless your name is Italy)
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 2:08am On Oct 27, 2012
In European football people who play realistic football often win more except the recent Spanish inquisition

A team should know when to attack and when to defend when to play nice and when to play ugly

Theres a reason Italy and Germany are the most succesful sides in European football and countries like Holland rarely win a pity is its beginning to affect Germany too.

Chelsea, Inter Milan, Man Utd AC Milan FC Porto all recent winners of the CL knew when to attack and they defended when they needed to
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 3:03am On Oct 27, 2012
Those using Barca as a model for tippy tappy should remember that Barca have had world class players over the years.
Rivaldo, Figo, Ronaldinho and Messi have all been best players in the world. Tippy tappy without class is trash.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu:
Brazil in 1994 was one of the most uncreative Brazil ever. They even had to drop their most creative player and captain Rai after their group games

Argentina of 1986 had only one tactic, Route it to Diego and wait for magic

brazil of 94 was not creative? the combo of bebeto and romario was not creative? must you lie to score cheap brownie points? are you aware this tippy-tappy ish started in brazil known as "samba" football? i doubt there has ever been a world cup match better than brazil vs usa - alexi lalas vs bebeto/romario! classic......
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 10:27am On Oct 27, 2012
coogar:

brazil of 94 was not creative? the combo of bebeto and romario was not creative? must you lie to score cheap brownie points? are you aware this tippy-tappy ish started in brazil known as "samba" football? i doubt there has ever been a world cup match better than brazil vs usa - alexi lalas vs bebeto/romario! classic......

The brazilian Samba and Jogo Bonito were the 1970, 1982 set. Romario and Bebeto were just goal scorers. A team that was using Dunga, Branco as creative midfieders
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by montelik(m): 10:33am On Oct 27, 2012
coogar:

To be honest, the 94 Brazil squad was dull in comparison to the usual Brazil teams. Of course being Brazil even their least creative teams are better than most others.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:45am On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu:

The brazilian Samba and Jogo Bonito were the 1970, 1982 set. Romario and Bebeto were just goal scorers. A team that was using Dunga, Branco as creative midfieders

so dunga and branco werent creative? if i put the goals scored by brazil in usa 94 here, you would bite your tongue. it was in 98 that dunga became a henchman - he was as creative as feck in 94......bebeto as a supporting striker was just amazing!

montelik:
To be honest, the 94 Brazil squad was dull in comparison to the usual Brazil teams. Of course being Brazil even their least creative teams are better than most others.

that brazilian team that took holland apart were dull? if they were dull, what would you call the italian team in that competition? matter of fact, there has never been a dull brazilian team until 2002........the 1998 brazilian team was actually better than the 2002 version....
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by montelik(m): 10:58am On Oct 27, 2012
coogar:
that brazilian team that took holland apart were dull? if they were dull, what would you call the italian team in that competition? matter of fact, there has never been a dull brazilian team until 2002........the 1998 brazilian team was actually better than the 2002 version....

Yes and that 98 team was more creative than 94. That is the point, they were dull in comparison to other Brazilian teams.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 11:18am On Oct 27, 2012
montelik:
Yes and that 98 team was more creative than 94. That is the point, they were dull in comparison to other Brazilian teams.

of course, such is expected but were they duller than their competition in 94? that should be the question! brazil were still the most tippy-tappying team in that tourney and they won!

tippy-tappy win games but it's more hardwork!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 11:47am On Oct 27, 2012
montelik:

Lol Bros did you watch any of Brazil's games in that USA 94 at all? They didn't have a dull match not even the goalless final was dull. If they where so dull why where they voted the most entertaining team
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 12:21pm On Oct 27, 2012
@FBS.

Chei see epistle!!!. Dude I cannot quote and re-quote all you've said but I'll give something a go.

You lack of understanding about the focus of the debate is staggering. I have based all my arguments so far on the statement you made - "Tippy Tappy does not win games" and dude, that is clearly wrong. I have no idea what you have in mind to express but I see you've gone from tippy tappy does not win games to route-one is the best to tippy tappy is hard to learn. You are all over the place.

Let it be known that I haven't in any arguments of mine tried to force any style on the debate. You've always known my preference of football but I have not attempted to impose it on this discussion. What I have done is go hard on your ridiculous assertion that tippy tappy does not win games and then cite only Arsenal as an example of why it doesn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tippy tappy in vogue?? grin grin. . . I laugh in Spanish. The so called tippy tappy is perhaps an Iberian derivative of the footballing principles of Rinus Michels - Total football - sampled, explored and adopted by Johan Cruyff. The Barcelona you see today is the result of hard work of decades teaching football in La Masia established by Johan Cruyff.

The world wide frenzy with this style of football is as a result of more managers buying into this way of football. That's why it looks like "in vogue". Total football has been here for years. Present proponents of total football include Pep Guardiola and Micheal Laudrup all played under Johan Cruyff.

Football has evolved over time. In the past, it was only about winning the game in front of you and then winning a trophy. It was about "only" about bragging rights. It was a fan's game. These days, it's changed. It's big money business. Branding and club image are just as important as winning trophies. And as football evolved, so did the technical side of it. Many technical directors in clubs are now of the opinion that to sustain club image, brand and most importantly, revenue generation, football clubs must adopt a different strategy of technical deployment and recruitment.

So rather than have a manager that comes in and dictates what style of football is played, the style of football is determined by technical department. The style of football is bought and adopted by all coaches in the club. That way you have a uniform style of playing. That way the manager comes in and manages the style that the first team plays and the academy already is used. It's basic, it's scalable and it's sustainable.

This is the way most clubs will go in the future. Whether it will leads to success remains to be seen and this is reason why more and more managers as you see in Marcelo Bielsa, Lucien Favre, Brendan Rodgers, AVB, Diego Simeone, Luis Enrique, Ian Holloway are adopting the concepts of total football and get involved in the club philosophy from top to bottom - 1st team to academies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get this straight. I am not imposing my opinions on anyone and I have not said "yet" if any style is better. I just think that you cannot say that you don't have any thing against tippy tappy and then say that tippy tappy does not win games and that in most cases route-one works best. That's a classic case of contradiction.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu: The greatest Tippy tappy team in football history is Rinus Michels Holland won how many trophies?

ZERO

I think it is a bit myopic to come to this conclusion.
It's difficult to teach tippy tappy in international teams than it is in clubs for the reason of the sheer amount of hours of training national managers have with their players. It requires teaching basic techniques of the use of the ball and more importantly, the use of space. These techniques are best taught at a very young age. In many cases, many footballers have grown past the stage of changing. There is also the issue disparity in football teaching (heavily dependent on coach employed) at international age-groups levels.

Cruyff took Rinus' principles and introduced it on club level where they had access to hours of training and an age level where the rudiments of total football are best absorbed. The crop of players that adopted this early teachings are the Spaniards you see now.

My point is, it is somewhat folly to judge the result of tippy tappy on a national team level. Unless the playing style has evolved into a national culture, like it has in Spain, it will be difficult to achieve much success consistently in international competitions.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 3:50pm On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu: In European football people who play realistic football often win more except the recent Spanish inquisition

A team should know when to attack and when to defend when to play nice and when to play ugly

Theres a reason Italy and Germany are the most succesful sides in European football and countries like Holland rarely win a pity is its beginning to affect Germany too.

Chelsea, Inter Milan, Man Utd AC Milan FC Porto all recent winners of the CL knew when to attack and they defended when they needed to

Absolutely Agree!!!

Even Spain know when to Attack and Defend as a team.
coogar:

so dunga and branco werent creative? if i put the goals scored by brazil in usa 94 here, you would bite your tongue. it was in 98 that dunga became a henchman - he was as creative as feck in 94......bebeto as a supporting striker was just amazing!

Dunga creative in 94? Certainly not the Dunga I watched.
Falcao and Cerezo were creative as DM in 1982, Nando Redondo was creative as a DM, Dunga IMO was not.

Bebeto and Romario were creative. The latter was a Genius.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 5:10pm On Oct 27, 2012
coogar:

of course, such is expected but were they duller than their competition in 94? that should be the question! brazil were still the most tippy-tappying team in that tourney and they won!

tippy-tappy win games but it's more hardwork!

In 1994 I think Sweden and Romania were very exciting to watch.

That Brazil of 1994 was one of the dullest Brazilian teams to the world cup. The game vs Holland was very dull until Bergkamp and Winter scored
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 5:16pm On Oct 27, 2012
nateevs:

I think it is a bit myopic to come to this conclusion.
It's difficult to teach tippy tappy in international teams than it is in clubs for the reason of the sheer amount of hours of training national managers have with their players. It requires teaching basic techniques of the use of the ball and more importantly, the use of space. These techniques are best taught at a very young age. In many cases, many footballers have grown past the stage of changing. There is also the issue disparity in football teaching (heavily dependent on coach employed) at international age-groups levels.

Cruyff took Rinus' principles and introduced it on club level where they had access to hours of training and an age level where the rudiments of total football are best absorbed. The crop of players that adopted this early teachings are the Spaniards you see now.

My point is, it is somewhat folly to judge the result of tippy tappy on a national team level. Unless the playing style has evolved into a national culture, like it has in Spain, it will be difficult to achieve much success consistently in international competitions.

The only club where tippy tappy has worked largely is still Barcelona. Can you give any other example? The Dortmund you keep referring to is a counterattacking side. Who defend in numbers and break out at speed

If we have just one club out of hundreds where tippy tappy has worked, Would that be considered a successful tactic that can be replicated with guarantees of success?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 5:22pm On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu:

That Brazil of 1994 was one of the dullest Brazilian teams to the world cup. The game vs Holland was very dull until Bergkamp and Winter scored
But how did Brazil get voted as the most entertaining team of USA 94 if they where so dull? Don't tell me u where one of those people spreading the myth that it was actually Nigeria
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 5:25pm On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu:

The only club where tippy tappy has worked largely is still Barcelona. Can you give any other example? The Dortmund you keep referring to is a counterattacking side. Who defend in numbers and break out at speed

If we have just one club out of hundreds where tippy tappy has worked, Would that be considered a successful tactic that can be replicated with guarantees of success?

arsenal's tippy-tappy in 03/04 was as good if not better than barcelona's....they fell apart mainly because of a small squad size not because of quality! tippy-tappy football is the way it should be........it was when clubs with inferior players realised they cannot match the quality of the big boys that negative football became popular! who can tell me the great madrid sides between 98 and 2002 were not tippy-tappy? football of the highest quality with players who would rip teams apart......

dayokanu:

well - you thought wrong
brazil were the most exciting team to watch.....i reiterate, go and watch the match between america and brazil especially after brazil went a man down.....i am not sure there has been a football match more delicately poised in any world cup since then! alexi lalas deserved to be named world footballer of the year based on that match alone - but in the end romario and bebeto still manufactured a well-worked goal!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 6:15pm On Oct 27, 2012
dayokanu:

Of course it is 'a tactic that has worked and can be replicated'. Whether it should be replicated is the question I cannot answer.

Secondly, I told you that this Barca crop is a fruition of years of investment in teaching total football. That is why they perhaps are the flag bearers of the tactic on a very successful level. Ajax achieved this in the early 90s but years of financial disruption has derailed the success. They are now returning back to this method with under the tutelage of Frank De Boer along with his brother Ronald - taking it back to the academy.

There aren't many teams that are successful at it yet but more and more teams are going that way. Atletico Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Borrusia Mochengladbach, Arsenal, Ajax, Blackpool, Swansea, Liverpool, Spurs.

As stated extensively, tippy tappy is a philosophy that requires dedication and acceptance by all involved in the club. However, the politics of instant gratification is what usually disrupts the learning curve. Most times if you don't win quickly enough, you lose money. That's why people resort to all sorts of tactics not because tippy tappy by itself is an inferior tactic. If most team persists at it, it can work.

The truth is, only a handful of managers can teach it, that's why fewer teams play that way.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2012
Atletico Madrid is a counterattacking side with two rigid defensive midfielders. They don't even send anyone across the halfway line except the two forwards and one or both wingers. Mochengladbach is also counterattacking and were characterised by two man breaks of Mike Hanke and Marko Reus, sometimes backed by Juan Arango. Same goes for Spurs who play better away from home as they are so counterattacking. Dortmund is certainly counterattacking just that they have a better playmaker or two.

The only teams I know playing barca style at the moment are Ajax, Roma, Sporting Lisbon, Bilbao, Benfica, Arsenal, Villarreal, Swansea, Liverpool, Blackpool and Middlesborough.

Others to a lesser extent include Getafe (especially under Laudrup), Bayern Munich at varying times (esp under LVG), Racing Santander of couple years back (haven't been following em too close recently), Chelsea under Scolari and Ancelotti, Schalke and one or two others intermittently.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2012
My opinion about counter attacking football especially with the flavours AM and Mochengladbach is that it is a derivative of tippy tappy except as opposed to very slow, patient build-up of play, the movement and passing is swift. However, the common ground in both styles is heavy reliance on the use of space by way of intricate passing and the use of very technically-gifted players to execute such.

I actually feel that this style was adopted to resemble something very close to tippy tappy but at the same time being very considerate about organisation in defence. My belief is that this derivative is as a result of the crucial need to survive in the league.

Diego Simeone played under Marcelo Bielsa while he was coach of Argentina and I like to believe he knows about possession football. Therefore if given the quality of Barcelona, will not play counter attacking football but possession football. I believe the same of Lucien Favre.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 7:40pm On Oct 27, 2012
coogar:

arsenal's tippy-tappy in 03/04 was as good if not better than barcelona's....they fell apart mainly because of a small squad size not because of quality! tippy-tappy football is the way it should be........it was when clubs with inferior players realised they cannot match the quality of the big boys that negative football became popular! who can tell me the great madrid sides between 98 and 2002 were not tippy-tappy? football of the highest quality with players who would rip teams apart......

Arsenal of 2003/2004 were not tippy tappy The tip tap rubbish started after 2006. Arsenal before then played realistic football most of which is just route a long ball to Henry who blitz the defence Check Arsenal performance in San Siro in 2003/2004 to see what I am saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwJyGHvVPg

Check how Arsenal played their CL campaign of 2006 or the FA cup final of 2005.

Realistic football is what Real madrid played between 98 and 02. 98 was a Capello/Juup heyckenes side definitely not tippy tappy in any way, Madrid of 2000 played some of the most negative football in that series and were under the cosh from both Man Utd and Bayern for long spells mostly taking their chances on the counterattack. The Madrid of 2002 was the most attacking of that era yet they had the grit of Makelele.

Their attempt to play the real tiki taka post 2003 was what led them into the ignominy of the Galacticos era.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Oct 27, 2012
A-40:

But how did Brazil get voted as the most entertaining team of USA 94 if they where so dull? Don't tell me u where one of those people spreading the myth that it was actually Nigeria

Compare that Brazil team to the other Brazilian team of previous years and everyone would tell you it was the dullest.

EVen the Brazilians at that point realized Samba was easier to neutralize at the World cup and went very pragmatic with Dunga Branco, Mazinho.

The magic was left to the 2 attackers Romario and Bebeto

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (19541) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Singapore1(m), oliverano, cephasdultimate, iamoyindamola(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.