Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,855 members, 7,899,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 04:24 AM

GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? (24560 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / PGD Or MASTERS Without NYSC? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by pat077: 6:57pm On May 26, 2012
Somymaurice: pls,i humbly seek advice from profesionals like you all. I just finished my internship and was about goin for my HND when the NCE came in with their delima. They said students whose name came out on the 2nd barch and below,would have to be referd to parttime classes. Bad news i must confess,cos part time students dont go for service. My question now is,are part time given any form of exemption letter? What is the future like for one without nysc certification? Im an ICAN student,certified in peach3 accounting on right now undergoing training on database MYSQL. Tnks frends
Somymaurice: pls,i humbly seek advice from profesionals like you all. I just finished my internship and was about goin for my HND when the NCE came in with their delima. They said students whose name came out on the 2nd barch and below,would have to be referd to parttime classes. Bad news i must confess,cos part time students dont go for service. My question now is,are part time given any form of exemption letter? What is the future like for one without nysc certification? Im an ICAN student,certified in peach3 accounting on right now undergoing training on database MYSQL. Tnks frends
start ur own tread!

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by babestella: 7:04pm On May 26, 2012
Go for the job now and after some years of experience, you can even start your MBA here, Unilag or LBS, they are good too. Remember, going for an MBA without job experience amounts to waste. It doesn't really work that way. Best you go for your MBA while at work too.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 26, 2012
I disagree that OP shld rather do a M.sc than an MBA as adviced by T22. Not everybody is interested in getting a Phd. An MBA puts one in good position if ur desire is to build a career in mgt.
OP can go for masters if he has d funds. What is spectacular abt a bank job? A job where u could be laid off at anytime. The knowledge u gain frm Masters is for life.
As a matter of fact, a good MBA should stir up d need to own and manage ur own company. An MBA is a plus anyday and i would take it over any lousy bank job.

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by isuomo: 7:44pm On May 26, 2012
Young man, please take the GTB offer quick quick and forget the idea of Masters abroad, abeg u fit do am online nowadays and for your information Masters abroad is so overated and my golden advice to you is to take the job. Gosh!!! it is a no brainer and not an hobbsian choice my friend. I have given you this advice as a GM HR & Strategy of a stock exchange quoted top 30 firm here in Nigeria, i know the number of CVs my staff recieve on a daily basis and majority without equivocation are graduates of reputable unis in Canada, USA and UK. I have people in my organisation working for free just to have the work experience and believe me they came out with good Masters from univeristies like London, Manchester, Kings College Cambridge etc. GTB is a fantastic employer and you should be dancing the makossa and not be thinking of Masters.
Oyinbo graduates are not hung up on masters you know, it is us Africans that keep amassing useless qualifications i graduated in Pol.Sc from Ife in 1989 went straight to UK as a citizen at the end of my NYSC IN 1990 and got a job immediately with British Telecomms of old within 3 months of landing in UK, it wasn't until 1997 eight years after graduation when i was already a senior manager with BT on a very comfortable salary did i enrol for a masters in University of London just for the fun of it and by 1999 i had a Masters degree in Developmental Economics. 4 years after in 2003 i enrolled to study Law graduated in 2007 and in 2009 was called to the bar; then i had long left BT was now working in HR for a top Investment bank in Canary Wharf UK from where i was brought to Lagos in 2010. You can see that i did not leave work as some stupid folks do in Nigeria to go do masters and then come back thinking the world will be their oyster. Out there is extremely competitive if you have a job or job offer grab it with both hands.

8 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by mabelly: 7:57pm On May 26, 2012
@gaggi, if i may ask,what job do u do now. And just so u'll know,u were just lucky cos there are people who have gotten gazillions of certifications apart from B.sc still out there jobless. In nigeria today ,its difficult to get a job even with ur masters or mba so one is adviced to jump @ any job opportunity and what do u mean lousy bank job.gtb pays its graduate trainees well. So do be careful when given one an advice in matters like this so as not to mislead the person.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by renewnaija(m): 8:09pm On May 26, 2012
@ Poster
Just my two cents with so many questions.

Why didnt you start this thread before paying half the fees?
If you take the GTB job, are you ready to forfeit the fees even for a year?
Remember it is the your father's sweat (gratuity), so will he take it lightly if you refuse the masters or will you pay him back with the GTB bank?
If yes, how long will it take you to payback? Or are you from a rich home so it wont be an issue?

Anyway, I advise you seek God's face & ask that His will be done in your life.

A few have come to do Masters abroad & wt they are earning now will blow away any amount GTB can offer you. A friend of mine (a recent Masters graduate)working in the US told me that no Nigerian company will be able to pay him wt he wants if he decides to move back to Nigeria & knowing his salary, I believe him.
Others dont have the same story.

You are unique so you should not follow other people's successes cos it may not work for you. Some make it in Nigeria, others abroad.

So seek Jesus now like never before.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by 2good(m): 8:22pm On May 26, 2012
renewnaija: @ Poster

Remember it is the your father's sweat (gratuity), so will he take it lightly if you refuse the masters or will you pay him back with the GTB bank?
If yes, how long will it take you to payback? Or are you from a rich home so it wont be an issue?

A few have come to do Masters abroad & wt they are earning now will blow away any amount GTB can offer you. A friend of mine (a recent Masters graduate)working in the US told me that no Nigerian company will be able to pay him wt he wants if he decides to move back to Nigeria & knowing his salary, I believe him.

You are unique so you should not follow other people's successes cos it may not work for you. Some make it in Nigeria, others abroad.

Your friend lied at the bolded and you were gullible to have believed him. Many Nigerian companies pays more than you can imagine. I know because I am in one of such industry
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by ayoola01(m): 10:00pm On May 26, 2012
Tanimola22, You are a genuis, Infact, I would love to be your friend. With such an explicit breakdown of informatn, the guy in questn shld sit down and weigh his options. If I were to be in his shoes, I already know what to settle down for. Kudos broda.
tanimola22:

I asked you what next because I wanted to know whether or not you have designed an excellent hedge against the unfavorably volatile job market in the UK and other parts of the world. From your answer, you have none. I might be wrong though.

I asked whether it's a top 5 US or UK school because I wanted to gauge your desirability to employers upon your graduation. Unfortunately, your answer shows that you might be no different from other unemployed naija graduates, who have very fancy UK degrees which cost close to 15K, if you went to study in the UK.

To make matters worse, you want to go and study a course that is a one way, a course that favors mostly professionals who have had years of solid professional experience. A course that will not give you an edge to immediately pursue a PhD just in case the job won't just come.

There is one fact that you must always bear in mind, and it is that 'foreign universities will continue to admit students no matter how old the students are'. Therefore, If I were you, I would definitely accept the GT offer, work for some years and then jet out for further studies, if I still deem it necessary. This way, I would stand a better chance of getting into a nicer school, in fact an Ivy league or something very close to it. This way, I would be solid, desirable enough and also stand a better chance of landing an awesome job, after graduation, because of my previous work experience which must surely be of immense advantage to me. I am not saying that one is certain of landing one's dream job just because one has had a solid professional experience. My point is that your chances are much higher if you have a solid work experience plus a top MBA degree.

If I really hate bank job and want to neglect the GT offer for further studies abroad, a strategy I would employ is to simply change courses. I would go for an MSc program instead of an MBA program. I would then make sure I aim to get the best possible grades I can get. This will help me in two ways. First, it will help land me job interviews and I will have something to brag about during the job interviews. Second, I will be competitive to get fully funded PhD positions just in case the ideal job does not come after about 2 years of searching. I think you get my drift.

A lot of naija people are unemployed and stuck in Lagos and London and New York and elsewhere because their Master's degrees are so poor that nobody would believe they can cope with PhD level courses and research. Such people thought going abroad and getting 'any' oyinbo kpali would give them jobs at Total, Mobil, Chevron, Davidson Kempner Advisers and Fortress Investment etc. Unfortunately, many of them are not smiling today.

I will leave you to ponder over my submission and come to a conclusion by yourself, a conclusion that will maximize your own professional payoff.

T22.

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by WhyAWhy(m): 10:14pm On May 26, 2012
isuomo: Young man, please take the GTB offer quick quick and forget the idea of Masters abroad, abeg u fit do am online nowadays and for your information Masters abroad is so overated and my golden advice to you is to take the job. Gosh!!! it is a no brainer and not an hobbsian choice my friend. I have given you this advice as a GM HR & Strategy of a stock exchange quoted top 30 firm here in Nigeria, i know the number of CVs my staff recieve on a daily basis and majority without equivocation are graduates of reputable unis in Canada, USA and UK. I have people in my organisation working for free just to have the work experience and believe me they came out with good Masters from univeristies like London, Manchester, Kings College Cambridge etc. GTB is a fantastic employer and you should be dancing the makossa and not be thinking of Masters.
Oyinbo graduates are not hung up on masters you know, it is us Africans that keep amassing useless qualifications i graduated in Pol.Sc from Ife in 1989 went straight to UK as a citizen at the end of my NYSC IN 1990 and got a job immediately with British Telecomms of old within 3 months of landing in UK, it wasn't until 1997 eight years after graduation when i was already a senior manager with BT on a very comfortable salary did i enrol for a masters in University of London just for the fun of it and by 1999 i had a Masters degree in Developmental Economics. 4 years after in 2003 i enrolled to study Law graduated in 2007 and in 2009 was called to the bar; then i had long left BT was now working in HR for a top Investment bank in Canary Wharf UK from where i was brought to Lagos in 2010. You can see that i did not leave work as some stupid folks do in Nigeria to go do masters and then come back thinking the world will be their oyster. Out there is extremely competitive if you have a job or job offer grab it with both hands.

Well SAID!

don't even understand why anyone will do MBA with no years of job experience, who are these schools that give them admission sef?!!
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by greall1: 10:24pm On May 26, 2012
Guy go for d job first & resign for ur master
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nosyke(m): 10:31pm On May 26, 2012
@Tanimola22, May God continue to bless you woth more wisdom and knowlege.@op, the choice is yours to make.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 10:48pm On May 26, 2012
Whao! Thanks a lot guys for the barrage of advices, I'm totally planless for wat to say. Aldoe its a decision I've alredy made, and dat is to defer ma admission and start off wiv gtb @ d moment, I still pretty much appreciate all the inputs. I graduated with a B.sc in Anatomy, 2:2, but I really don't see myself goin bak to d healthcare, I really fo have a flair for banking and intend to pursue a career in it.

I wrote my tests and had my interviews in abuja, in march dis year. I understand lagos and abuja recruit independently of each oda, so I really can't say on how to go about it from lag. D haruna musa email addy was legit as at february sha, lotsa peeps sent their cv's to it and got called for the test. I also know some pple just wrote anoda exam like a coupla weeks ago, in lag, and dey r srill awaiting d interview. As for abuja, I believe dey haven't written any tests since d march batch.

And about d pay, yea I've done my research, really coooool. Not even d devil can make me change my mind again. #teamGtbank. grin

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by GoldCircle: 11:05pm On May 26, 2012
@Kockane, I wish u Godspeed! Have a plan B from day 1 and make hay while the sun shines! U may have also read many stories on this forum of many ex-bankers coming here to seek advice just after loosing their jobs. So be wise!

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 11:40pm On May 26, 2012
GoldCircle: @Kockane, I wish u Godspeed! Have a plan B from day 1 and make hay while the sun shines! U may have also read many stories on this forum of many ex-bankers coming here to seek advice just after loosing their jobs. So be wise!

Yea... Dats also a tot dat keeps ringin in my mind every now and den, but den again, no job has an absolute 100% security. And I'm definitely not venturing into such a volatile industry wiv my eyes closed, I see it as a chance to further develop myself,build my cv,gather some savings, not drive around in flashy cars, and shiny suits. Thanks for ur brotherly advice doe, really appreciate it.

renewnaija: @ Poster

I never saw gtb coming wen I applied and made part payment for my masters. I literarily wrote the exam to not seem rude to d person dat assisted me in submittin my cv. I'm not from some mega rich family but my dad really just wants d best for me, he cldnt possibly ask me bak 4d school fees,and he's given me the go ahead to make my own decisions. Of course, asides seekin advice on this forum, I've also discussed it with oda members of ma family, and even ma pastor (aldoe, I'm not really d religious type), I believe the voice of man is the voice of God.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by moremi2008(m): 1:25am On May 27, 2012
80% of MBA programs are outright scams and 10% are only worth it if you're attending part-time. Only the top 10% of MBA programs are worth quitting your job for and those programs are still very high risk (by top 10%, I mean the top-10 US MBA schools + LBS+ Insead). Work for a few years, get some real-life experience, save some money, get engaged and then you can run to the UK to do a quick one-year MBA while on a leave of absence so you have your old job to fall back on! Countless Nigerians quit their well-paying jobs in Nigeria to attend top MBA programs abroad only to discover that they are practically unhireable into post-MBA roles abroad (and are too ashamed to return to their old jobs in Nigeria). Happens all the time! Don't be seduced by the success stories you hear because reality is often times very different. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by icez: 2:05am On May 27, 2012
hmmm...
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by MPEROR: 3:11am On May 27, 2012
Take Tamilola's advice take the job,get the exp i know people with two MBA'S driving taxi in the US
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by dabigwalls: 3:39am On May 27, 2012
tanimola22:

I asked you what next because I wanted to know whether or not you have designed an excellent hedge against the unfavorably volatile job market in the UK and other parts of the world. From your answer, you have none. I might be wrong though.

I asked whether it's a top 5 US or UK school because I wanted to gauge your desirability to employers upon your graduation. Unfortunately, your answer shows that you might be no different from other unemployed naija graduates, who have very fancy UK degrees which cost close to 15K, if you went to study in the UK.

To make matters worse, you want to go and study a course that is a one way, a course that favors mostly professionals who have had years of solid professional experience. A course that will not give you an edge to immediately pursue a PhD just in case the job won't just come.

There is one fact that you must always bear in mind, and it is that 'foreign universities will continue to admit students no matter how old the students are'. Therefore, If I were you, I would definitely accept the GT offer, work for some years and then jet out for further studies, if I still deem it necessary. This way, I would stand a better chance of getting into a nicer school, in fact an Ivy league or something very close to it. This way, I would be solid, desirable enough and also stand a better chance of landing an awesome job, after graduation, because of my previous work experience which must surely be of immense advantage to me. I am not saying that one is certain of landing one's dream job just because one has had a solid professional experience. My point is that your chances are much higher if you have a solid work experience plus a top MBA degree.

If I really hate bank job and want to neglect the GT offer for further studies abroad, a strategy I would employ is to simply change courses. I would go for an MSc program instead of an MBA program. I would then make sure I aim to get the best possible grades I can get. This will help me in two ways. First, it will help land me job interviews and I will have something to brag about during the job interviews. Second, I will be competitive to get fully funded PhD positions just in case the ideal job does not come after about 2 years of searching. I think you get my drift.

A lot of naija people are unemployed and stuck in Lagos and London and New York and elsewhere because their Master's degrees are so poor that nobody would believe they can cope with PhD level courses and research. Such people thought going abroad and getting 'any' oyinbo kpali would give them jobs at Total, Mobil, Chevron, Davidson Kempner Advisers and Fortress Investment etc. Unfortunately, many of them are not smiling today.

I will leave you to ponder over my submission and come to a conclusion by yourself, a conclusion that will maximize your own professional payoff.

T22.

I must say that your submission indicates a very sound background and understanding of the immediate issues at hand. I must also however burst the bubble of the core of your assumptions. One of the worst mistakes Nigerian youths make in my opinion is what your post encourages - the need for immediate gratification. No long term helicopter view of a person's life in the future in consideration. How can anyone jump into such a volatile 'opportunity' like a GT job? The highest staff turnover in any professional industry in Nigeria is Nigeran banking industry.

I can never advise you to forgo a lifetime opportunity of self improvement for 198K. Once you get a Masters, you have it FOR LIFE (like Arsenal fans of old). You may lose a job, never a Masters degree qualification. In fact, the psychological boost you will get can never be bought with all your upfront for years. Do you know how many people are stuck in the banks today? No serious career progression - AND no Masters? So they can't go forward or backwards even after 10 years of been in banking? And you must understand it is tough to cross from banking to other industries even as an experienced staff.

Another information for the OP is that you cannot today lump UK schools together in a good better best format. For instance A business school with the AACSB accreditation has the highest global business school accreditation irrespective of whether it's UK or US. So the question is, does the University of Hull MBA program have the Advanced Association of Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation? If it does and you still take GT bank's pay over it, 10 years will reveal the error.

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by dabigwalls: 3:46am On May 27, 2012
I can never advise you to forgo a lifetime opportunity of self improvement for 198K. Once you get a Masters, you have it FOR LIFE (like Arsenal fans of old). You may lose a job, never a Masters degree qualification. In fact, the psychological boost you will get can never be bought with all your upfront for years. Do you know how many people are stuck in the banks today? No serious career progression - AND no Masters? So they can't go forward or backwards even after 10 years of been in banking? And you must understand it is tough to cross from banking to other industries even as an experienced staff.

I must also however burst the bubble of the core of some earlier advise/assumptions you have been given. One of the worst mistakes Nigerian youths make in my opinion is what your post encourages - the need for immediate gratification. No long term helicopter view of a person's life in the future in consideration. How can anyone jump into such a volatile 'opportunity' like a GT job? The highest staff turnover in any professional industry in Nigeria is Nigeran banking industry.

Another information for the OP is that you cannot today lump UK schools together in a good better best format. For instance A business school with the AACSB accreditation has the highest global business school accreditation irrespective of whether it's UK or US. So the question is, does the University of Hull MBA program have the Advanced Association of Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation? If it does and you still take GT bank's pay over it, 10 years will reveal the error.

There are 4 accreditations that a good biz school must have. Even some big schools have business schools that do not have all 4.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Konnektions146(m): 3:49am On May 27, 2012
OP,
from all indication, yu already known wat to do in dis respect,
but i must advice, pls be wise, yu re still very young, make use of yur time so well and dont allow any individual make u believe yu cant be a landlord in de shortest possible time and have some huge business investment before yu re 32,
open yur eyes and clear yur head, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE,

its better yu re termed a "Jew man" now and smile later, u dnt llive-to-impress(false life)

even 1st bank dat has de best job security in nigerian Bankin sector still sack staff , so be wise as i wish u de best.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kelskelly(m): 4:17am On May 27, 2012
[/b]
dabigwalls:

I must also however burst the bubble of the core of some earlier advise/assumptions you have been given. One of the worst mistakes Nigerian youths make in my opinion is what your post encourages - the need for immediate gratification. No long term helicopter view of a person's life in the future in consideration. How can anyone jump into such a volatile 'opportunity' like a GT job? The highest staff turnover in any professional industry in Nigeria is Nigeran banking industry.

There are 4 accreditations that a good biz school must have. Even some big schools have business schools that do not have all 4.

I completely and totally disagree with you my friend. You stance that a masters degree is a bigger life time opportunity than a 198K job is relative. How useful will the degree be when he comes back and can't find a job. Incase you don't know, there are hundreds of thousands of nigerian youths with the life time opportunity of a masters degree, working the toilets and bars in the UK because they can't find work. Whats the percentage of youth employment in Nigeria? How many new jobs are being created yearly? Certificates are everywhere now, i can assure you. Every year, thousands of nigerians graduate from these foreign schools with the same masters degree.

The best thing he can get is work experience, now that he has the chance. he can go get a masters after some years of work, afterall, there is no age limit to it. But the truth is that when you are unemployed at 30, you start to become unemployable....sorry to say. check out the age limit for all the job adverts to get my point.

198K is a good salary, if thats what it is. less than 5% of Nigerians earn that, i can assure you. Don't miss the chance to remain in that 5% because of some fancy certificate. people can say the banking industry is volatile, but then, if you have savings from your salary, you will still be able to go for the same masters degree if you lose your job, and you'll have some good work experience to go along with it.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by dabigwalls: 5:54am On May 27, 2012
@Kelskelly...with BSc, one is jobless because millions and zillions have it. One differentiator is a Masters. An MBA is even more professionally deep for people with business interests and managerial roles. If he could get a job with his BSc with GT, why will it be more difficult with an MBA?

Shebi we say there are no jobs? Go Yankee, Go Jand, there are no jobs you all say so why does this post exist in the first place? This post is about a job somebody got!!! Why are you all crying wolf?? Are you saying he becomes perpetually doomed if he does not forgo this one year's pay with GT to return as an improved thinker?

Is he worse off with an MBA after one year if he returns to Nigeria? Do you have a Masters? I will be interested in your answer because if your answer is yes then you must be selfish, if it is a no, then you are half - informed.

@OP, total pay of 200K/annum is max 2.4M/annum. You studied anatomy and you seriously think one year with a good degree to back up your business interest will be suicidal? Think twice, go to Hull and enrol for the Systems Thinking course. Come back and laugh at people who would have deprived you of such globally acclaimed thought and education.

Deep calleth unto deep.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nicklee(m): 7:05am On May 27, 2012
If the MBA is not from a top school, ala HBS, Stanford GSB, Kellog and the likes, abeg forget it and work for a while at GTB
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kelskelly(m): 7:14am On May 27, 2012
@dabigwalls...i'm not in the mood to get into insults with you. The whole point of this thread is to help this guy (and a lot of others) make a decision that will probably decide his future self satisfaction.

Courtesy demands however that i respond to your calling me ill informed cos yes, i do not have a masters. I'm only doing an online MSC now. I'm doing it at this time as it might be necessary for my next career swing. I earn 4 times what he's expecting to earn in salary and another 10 times my value in allowances. I bet you every master degree holder will want my job right now. But guess what, in my case i can never be jobless cos i've acquired enough experience to be relevant outside my immediate organization.

I never said having a masters is a bad thing. I only said the reason for the masters is to get a job and that is what he has already. incase you don't know, the fact that he will get a masters won't make GTB employ him as a manager. He will still start from scratch. Just like every other degree holder.

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by BSF: 7:21am On May 27, 2012
Excellent Post!!!!
tanimola22:

T22.

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by BSF: 7:23am On May 27, 2012
Very good Reality Check!
isuomo: Young man, please take the GTB offer quick quick and forget the idea of Masters abroad, abeg u fit do am online nowadays and for your information Masters abroad is so overated and my golden advice to you is to take the job. Gosh!!! it is a no brainer and not an hobbsian choice my friend. I have given you this advice as a GM HR & Strategy of a stock exchange quoted top 30 firm here in Nigeria, i know the number of CVs my staff recieve on a daily basis and majority without equivocation are graduates of reputable unis in Canada, USA and UK. I have people in my organisation working for free just to have the work experience and believe me they came out with good Masters from univeristies like London, Manchester, Kings College Cambridge etc. GTB is a fantastic employer and you should be dancing the makossa and not be thinking of Masters.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Mustay(m): 7:29am On May 27, 2012
dabigwalls: Are you saying he becomes perpetually doomed if he does not forgo this one year's pay with GT to return as an improved thinker?

Is he worse off with an MBA after one year if he returns to Nigeria? Do you have a Masters? I will be interested in your answer because if your answer is yes then you must be selfish, if it is a no, then you are half - informed.

Did you read previous posts or you just 'entered the club and started dancing immediately'?

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nobody: 8:02am On May 27, 2012
198k isn't so fantastic.
After all the deductions you'll earn far less.

An additional qualification is always welcome.
Most people start working and believe they'll do a masters later.

The truth is that a job like banking takes so much of one's time.
After 10yrs of working, you get a sack letter and you realize you still haven't gotten that masters.

Best of luck in your decisions.

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by kristofa09(m): 8:16am On May 27, 2012
Kockane: Whao! Thanks a lot guys for the barrage of advices, I'm totally planless for wat to say. Aldoe its a decision I've alredy made, and dat is to defer ma admission and start off wiv gtb @ d moment, I still pretty much appreciate all the inputs. I graduated with a B.sc in Anatomy, 2:2, but I really don't see myself goin bak to d healthcare, I really fo have a flair for banking and intend to pursue a career in it.

I wrote my tests and had my interviews in abuja, in march dis year. I understand lagos and abuja recruit independently of each oda, so I really can't say on how to go about it from lag. D haruna musa email addy was legit as at february sha, lotsa peeps sent their cv's to it and got called for the test. I also know some pple just wrote anoda exam like a coupla weeks ago, in lag, and dey r srill awaiting d interview. As for abuja, I believe dey haven't written any tests since d march batch.

And about d pay, yea I've done my research, really coooool. Not even d devil can make me change my mind again. #teamGtbank. grin
kokaine,u've heard it al.take the job,then u av 2 option for ur mastaz:1.work 4 a while n take a study leave in d UK or USA,tht way u retain ur job.2.four mnth into ur job enrol for part time MBA in nigeria,also tht way u dnt loose ur job..
Mayb i shld ad numba three sef.3.dnt do d MBA at al..lol.
Bsides hw old r u nau?

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by yemmyma: 8:24am On May 27, 2012
dabigwalls: @Kelskelly...with BSc, one is jobless because millions and zillions have it. One differentiator is a Masters. An MBA is even more professionally deep for people with business interests and managerial roles. If he could get a job with his BSc with GT, why will it be more difficult with an MBA?

Shebi we say there are no jobs? Go Yankee, Go Jand, there are no jobs you all say so why does this post exist in the first place? This post is about a job somebody got!!! Why are you all crying wolf?? Are you saying he becomes perpetually doomed if he does not forgo this one year's pay with GT to return as an improved thinker?

@OP, total pay of 200K/annum is max 2.4M/annum. You studied anatomy and you seriously think one year with a good degree to back up your business interest will be suicidal? Think twice, go to Hull and enrol for the Systems Thinking course. Come back and laugh at people who would have deprived you of such globally acclaimed thought and education.

Deep calleth unto deep.

I don't know why people like you always make claim of what is not exactly proven. No one here on this forum can give an insight into what this Op will turn out to be. Everybody is giving opinions on what they think might work out well for the Op based on others experiences they have seen or heard about.

Now, for your information, B.Sc or M.Sc or MBA that you are screaming loud here about is not a bad thing to strive for but does not mean that other people in this world will be unsuccessful if they don't have it. Generalizing statements like you have made here is brutal.

My biggest mentor in life was a seasoned accountant during his prime in the civil service. I doubt how he came into that profession. But all i know is that he never came into the field with a standard B.Sc. He trains people of all ages and gives speeches at seminars and conferences to thousands of people in the public service.

Another top Supply Chain guy in the U.K who only started out working as a freelance worker did not add a B.Sc to his name. Today, he has in his locker room important skills any continuous improvement manager should possess. Talk about it CSCMP, APICS, ISM, he had none of that through out his career. And he is still on top of his game. Experience, he always told was far more important when it comes to his field but he never refuted the advantage of having the requisite educational training before going into the industry.

For all i know, Tanimola22 has given the Op a very sound analysis of what a proper exit strategy should be whatever decision he decides to make. Of course, other suggestions are welcomed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Policy: Massive Job Cuts Looms In Manufacturing Sector / Is 400k Job In Nigeria Worth Staying Or Should I Japa? / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.