Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,790 members, 7,882,754 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 01:23 PM

Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here - Politics (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here (227536 Views)

We Get Many Complaints Against Obasanjo Foundation –UK Commission / How To Send Complaints About Bad Roads In Lagos / Let's Have Your Complaints Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (315) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by nduchucks: 11:11pm On Jan 11, 2013
Who removed the sticky on this thread, would it be the trigger mouse happy rookie mod? cheesy
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by ogusbaba1(m): 9:20am On Jan 12, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by AndreUweh(m): 12:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
MODS & SUPERMOD,
Please modify threads topics that has Yoruba instead of Yoruba and Ibo instead of IGBO. It's high time we let foreigners who come here to know the correct spellings of our people. I know a lot of school drop-outs here continually type Ibo but that is wrong.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by aribisala0(m): 1:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ibo is not wrong sir.That is a legitimate anglicized spelling when using "ENGLISH" alphabets.

There is a difference between ENGLISH and IGBO alphabets and gb in the former is completely different from the latter. If you write Igbo down and ask any ENGLISH person to pronounce it his rendition will still be unsatisfactory. We must not forget that gb sounds are quite widespread in Nigeria and Igbo =Eeeg bo

means different things to different people. What this illustrates is the difficulty of expressing African sounds with foreign alphabets. I am very familiar with the correct pronunciation of the word and in my view NEITHER spelling is satisfactory

You will find it in any English Dictionary and even Achebe used it in earlier editions of Things fall Apart. Just like COLOR and COLOUR

Ibo and Igbo are both correct and you can't force everyone into your preference.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Afam4eva(m): 1:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
@Andreh
While you and some other people believe that "IGBO" is the right and unadulterated word, we can not change Ibo to Igbo in people's posts just as we can not change people who use "Enugu" as against "Enugwu". As long as the term is not derogatory, there's really nothing we can do.

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by ogusbaba1(m): 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 2:18pm On Jan 12, 2013
@ mukina2

I would want you to elaborate in no uncertain terms why you banned Dede1 for responding to a post by Dayolodo on the forged letter purported to have been written by Ojukwu to Banjo.

I know you are Yoruba who seemed less concerned about the strong feeling or sensitiveness the topics about Biafra tend to engender on the sensibilities of those whose fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles and aunts were killed before and during Nigeria\Biafra civil war.

I shall remain civil for now until you respond to my simple request. Remember websites such Nairaland had been shut down for seemingly reckless censorship.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by AndreUweh(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2013
aribisala0: Ibo is not wrong sir.That is a legitimate anglicized spelling when using "ENGLISH" alphabets.

There is a difference between ENGLISH and IGBO alphabets and gb in the former is completely different from the latter. If you write Igbo down and ask any ENGLISH person to pronounce it his rendition will still be unsatisfactory. We must not forget that gb sounds are quite widespread in Nigeria and Igbo =Eeeg bo

means different things to different people. What this illustrates is the difficulty of expressing African sounds with foreign alphabets. I am very familiar with the correct pronunciation of the word and in my view NEITHER spelling is satisfactory

You will find it in any English Dictionary and even Achebe used it in earlier editions of Things fall Apart. Just like COLOR and COLOUR

Ibo and Igbo are both correct and you can't force everyone into your preference.
Igbo and Ibo are not correct. It is Igbo. As you are known as Aribisala0 in this forum, it will not be proper to insult you by spelling your id as Arigbisala0. Ndigbo have made it known since 1973 v that it is Igbo. This was done through the Society for the Promotion of Igbo Language and Culture (SPILAC),a body set up for the promotion of Igbo language and culture. It is nice you mentioned Prof Achebe using Ibo earlier but he and others have stopped that since ages. Am sure you don't write Gold Coast now instead of Ghana, Upper Volta instead of Bukina Faso or Bombay instead of Mumbai.
As a matter of respect, type Igbo instead of Ibo, am sure this is not hard.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Igbo and Ibo are not correct. It is Igbo. As you are known as Aribisala0 in this forum, it will not be proper to insult you by spelling your id as Arigbisala0. Ndigbo have made it known since 1973 through that it is Igbo. Thiswas done through the Society for the Promotion of Igbo Language and Culture (SPILAC),a body set up for the promotion of Igbo language and culture. It is nice you mentioned Prof Achebe using Ibo earlier but he and others have stopped that since ages. Am sure you don't write Gold Coast now instead of Khana, Upper Volta instead of Bukina Faso or Bombay instead of Mumbai.
As a matter of respect, type Igbo instead of Ibo, am sure this is not hard.

Andre stop wasting your time educating 'stone-hearted bigots' they will never reason with you no matter the level of education they are exposed to! Just move on and pretend you are enjoying the 'drama here'!

2 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Maxymilliano(m): 5:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
Afam, can this thread grace the front page if possible.

https://www.nairaland.com/1160285/pdp-most-democratic-party-nigeria

Just wish to sample variety of opinion to help my limited knowledge of internal conflict resolution mechanism of parties in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by DerideGull(m): 9:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
@pyguru

"Umu Igbo obi dim utoo nke ugwu nghi mgbali unu tinyere n’asusu Igbo
Nke ka nke, Eze Promoe udo dirighi
Igbo language is one of the most difficult subject to master because of the unyielding instances of Igbo dialects."

Why would anybody with, at least, pin-size of brain ban Dede1 for the above post in Cultural Section? The silly acts of ban on this forum are becoming viral in nature.

Attached is the notice from the moderator
pyguru banned Dede1 for https://www.nairaland.com/1098993/igbo-learning-thread-translator/20#13804091. Ban expires at Today at 10:17:12 PM.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by manny4life(m): 10:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
Afam,

Please, hold Pyguru or whatever his or her name is, bot or not... We're gonna fight on NL

Why did he ban me on my post, what did I say wrong? angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Afam4eva(m): 10:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
manny4life: Afam,

Please, hold Pyguru or whatever his or her name is, bot or not... We're gonna fight on NL

Why did he ban me on my post, what did I say wrong? angry angry angry angry angry
That happened in the business section.

There are some words that pyguru considers as spam because they've been used by a spammer before. For instance if a spammer uses the term "satan" and it's marked as spam by a moderator. The next time someone uses that term, the person will be banned and his/her post hidden.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by free2ryhme: 11:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
@afam4eva...
I want to know which section do you moderate on.. very imp
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Afam4eva(m): 11:23pm On Jan 12, 2013
free2ryhme: @afam4eva...
I want to know which section do you moderate on.. very imp
The section where you are right about now.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Duru1(m): 11:37pm On Jan 12, 2013
Is pyguru a program or confused moderator? The jerk pops up everywhere with regrettable censorship. If it is a program, I suggest serious modification. If a moderator, he\she needs to be demoted and sent where Sun does not reach.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by EkoAtlantic1(f): 12:24am On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by GARRIx7(m): 4:14am On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 8:11am On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Paschal007: 9:19am On Jan 14, 2013
Hi Mods consider for frontpage. thanks www.nairaland.com/1161852/doctor-27-murdered-lagos-traffic
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 14, 2013
Pls the super Mod should please warn Afam to stop hiding my comments.....this guy is really pissing me off!!!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by mukina2: 11:38am On Jan 14, 2013
^
i have replied your pm, please show me the links. smiley
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
ilugunboy: Pls the super Mod should please warn Afam to stop hiding my comments.....this guy is really pissing me off!!!
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin padi mi, racists ni won ni bi jare, racists ni won mennn cool shocked
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva: @Andreh
While you and some other people believe that "IGBO" is the right and unadulterated word, we can not change Ibo to Igbo in people's posts just as we can not change people who use "Enugu" as against "Enugwu". As long as the term is not derogatory, there's really nothing we can do.

Hi Afam, please do consider this for frontpage; https://www.nairaland.com/1114278/civil-service-reforms-what-happened
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 14, 2013
tomakint:
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin padi mi, racists ni won ni bi jare, racists ni won mennn cool shocked

Na your brother dey fvck up nah.. grin grin.

How far? you just cool down.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 14, 2013
mukina2: ^
i have replied your pm, please show me the links. smiley

Madam, didn't get your pm though I have the alert on my NL profile.

However, unfortunately am seeing the hidden comments from my profile window..this is making it difficult for me to determine the threads thus links.

I will keep trying though..I must teach Afam a lesson or two on how not to hide my comments again tongue grin cheesy
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 3:02pm On Jan 14, 2013
ilugunboy:

Na your brother dey fvck up nah.. grin grin.

How far? you just cool down.
Ma dahun n tie, o n sise owo e ni, of course I have no 'bubbling thread on front page again to comment on' na so so 'funny funny topics dey make front page lately' didn't you notice that?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
tomakint:
Ma dahun n tie, o n sise owo e ni, of course I have no 'bubbling thread on front page again to comment on' na so so 'funny funny topics dey make front page lately' didn't you notice that?

Well...there is nothing of news worthiness in the country either lately.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (315)

Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) / Anambra Governorship Election 2017 Results - Live Updates (Unofficial) / Governorship Election Results 2019 From Polling Units Across States (unofficial)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.