Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,544 members, 7,885,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 06:28 AM

Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census (13437 Views)

Poll: What is your ethnicity?

Hausa: 0% (0 votes)
Nupe: 0% (0 votes)
Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 0% (0 votes)
Ijaw: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Hausa: 4% (28 votes)
Nupe: 2% (18 votes)
Igbo: 44% (282 votes)
Yoruba: 45% (289 votes)
Fulani: 1% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Ibibio/Efik/Annang: 26% (31 votes)
Igala: 7% (9 votes)
Idoma: 17% (20 votes)
Bini: 34% (40 votes)
Itsekiri: 13% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Urhobo: 25% (21 votes)
Isoko: 16% (14 votes)
Ijaw: 31% (26 votes)
Kanuri: 9% (8 votes)
Itsekiri: 16% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Tiv: 26% (14 votes)
Isan: 30% (16 votes)
Jukun: 9% (5 votes)
Ebira: 18% (10 votes)
Gwari: 15% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland Ethnic Census, What Tribe Are You From. / NAIRALAND 2013 Ethnic Census / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:50pm On May 23, 2012
Odumchi, it prefers that some would be happier if rather than listing their ethnicity, you list their state..
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by AndreUweh(m): 11:52pm On May 23, 2012
This polls today shows that there many Igbo people quitting nairaland. A similar post was conducted last year and Ndigbo led the polls with almost 40 votes above the Yorubas who came second.
Many Igbos have left and still leaving nairaland.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:53pm On May 23, 2012
ezotik:

just curious, why did u split edo into groups? you even went as far as to split bini and esan but u joined ibibio/efik/annang as one?

so, since u are igbo, if u could go as far as splitting bini and esan why didn't u do same with igbo? i can't see ukwani, ika, ikwerre, ngwa. oh, i get it. ika and ngwa na one but bini and esan is not.

abeg carry ur yeye polls dey go with ur divisive method. and i didn't bother voting anyway.

The Edo people have established themsleves as distinct ethnicities. The Esan, Etsako, Urhobo, Bini, and Isoko are all different ethnicities but they form the Edo nation.

The Akwa/Cross groups are really one ethnicity. For the most part their languages are mutually intelligible, their cultures are very similar, and they are comfortable with the idea of being lumped together.

Please, let's not get into this debate. Just accept the results and stop trying to see a bad meaning behind whatever people do.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:56pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Odumchi, it prefers that some would be happier if rather than listing their ethnicity, you list their state..

I will definately add either a state by state census or a geo-political census next year.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 11:57pm On May 23, 2012
Actually, next year, it will be a Yoruba man (me) who will do the poll, Odumchi.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:59pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Actually, next year, it will be a Yoruba man (me) who will do the poll, Odumchi.

Lol, abi na to steal my work? I've already copyrighted this. Where is your license? grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by AndreUweh(m): 12:01am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: Actually, next year, it will be a Yoruba man (me) who will do the poll, Odumchi.
Why you, do you intend to split Ijebu, Okun, Offa and Ilorin from Yoruba?.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 12:01am On May 24, 2012
You own a copyright on census polling?

You must be a very wealthy man then, in that case grin
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 12:08am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear:
Lmao grin

So a Bini speaker can understand what an Esan speaker is saying? Is this true of all groups in Edo State? I was under the impression that the opposite is true.

grin see that was why i said u should leave ekiti for once. and there are other places in nigeria u can dream of living in apart from lagos the yoruba haven abi na heaven..haha

ekt_bear: Shouldn't this question be directed at the author of the poll, not I?

i didn't include groups outside his own becos he may also claim ignorance. but since u responded that was why i asked u.

I suspect that, since most Yoruba speakers favor standard Yoruba over their own dialect, the communication difficulties that existed in the 1800s were mostly gone by 1950, 1960 or so. Not to talk of 2012.

but it is an ethic census not dialect census
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 12:12am On May 24, 2012
1. I'm pretty sure that all the languages in Edo are not mutually intelligible, is my point. I guess rather than saying "under the impression", I should have said "you are wrong."

2. Do you consider Esan and Bini to be one ethnic group? Do you consider the Edoid peoples of Edo State to be all one ethnic group?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 12:15am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: You own a copyright on census polling?

You must be a very wealthy man then, in that case grin

I'm only joking. We can always collaborate to make next year's if you like.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 12:33am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear: 1. I'm pretty sure that all the languages in Edo are not mutually intelligible, is my point. I guess rather than saying "under the impression", I should have said "you are wrong."

so how can u be "pretty sure" when u didn't even know bini and esan is almost like one language and not even as far as ekiti and ijebu?

2. Do you consider Esan and Bini to be one ethnic group?

duh

Do you consider the Edoid peoples of Edo State to be all one ethnic group?

duh..

and oh btw, im not interested in getting into any nitty gritty type of argument with anybody. i was just curious why OP split edo especially bini and esan forgetting about his own group and joined all the "calabar people" together. so later.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 12:49am On May 24, 2012
lol, odumchi, wtf are u saying? is it not everyday we read here on nairaland of how ika, ukuani, ikwerre and others say they are distinct from igbos? but have u read any thread of how esan and other edo groups say they are not edo? abeg go siddon with ur igboman sense. i have better things to do.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ektbear: 12:58am On May 24, 2012
ezotik:

so how can u be "pretty sure" when u didn't even know bini and esan is almost like one language and not even as far as ekiti and ijebu?
Because I know for a fact that not all languages in Edo State are mutually intelligible. If there are X languages, and one pair are mutually intelligible, it doesn't mean that the rest are..

duh

duh..
Fair enough. Not everyone else will agree with you.

and oh btw, im not interested in getting into any nitty gritty type of argument with anybody. i was just curious why OP split edo especially bini and esan forgetting about his own group and joined all the "calabar people" together. so later.
I doubt it is some conspiracy against the Edo ethnicity (which I didn't even know existed until talking to you just now, and which contradicts what other Edo indigenes have told me).

Take a chill pill dude..
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by ezotik: 1:08am On May 24, 2012
ekt_bear:
Because I know for a fact that not all languages in Edo State are mutually intelligible. If there are X languages, and one pair are mutually intelligible, it doesn't mean that the rest are..

Fair enough. Not everyone else will agree with you.

I doubt it is some conspiracy against the Edo ethnicity (which I didn't even know existed until talking to you just now, and which contradicts what other Edo indigenes have told me).

Take a chill pill dude..

grin of course i will never credit nairalanders to be smart enough to be behind any comspiracy against edo. but when ignorance is corrected statements like "pretty sure" can be pretty annoying..haha

but thanks for the chill pill, not that i needed it anyway.. but it hard to say no to anything that is free of charge.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Obiagu1(m): 4:43am On May 24, 2012
odumchi:

The Edo people have established themsleves as distinct ethnicities. The Esan, Etsako, Urhobo, Bini, and Isoko are all different ethnicities but they form the Edo nation.

The Akwa/Cross groups are really one ethnicity. For the most part their languages are mutually intelligible, their cultures are very similar, and they are comfortable with the idea of being lumped together.

Please, let's not get into this debate. Just accept the results and stop trying to see a bad meaning behind whatever people do.

Bini, Esan, and Etsako are under Edo while Urhobo and Isoko are under Urhobo. I was surprised at the split but it was late as the poll has started.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Ngwakwe: 8:26am On May 24, 2012
Poll:
Hausa: 4% (27 votes)
Nupe: 2% (18 votes)
Igbo: 44% (282 votes)
Yoruba: 46% (289 votes)
Fulani: 1% (12 votes)

What kind of logical/algebraic manipulation is this calculator using:
18 Votes = 2% approx
12 Votes = 1% approx
27 Votes = 4% approx

then 289(Y) - 282(I) = 7; how come 7 Votes = 2% approx

Please can somebody calculate how many votes equal 1% in real number (not integer)
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 12:18pm On May 24, 2012
Ngwakwe:

What kind of logical/algebraic manipulation is this calculator using:
18 Votes = 2% approx
12 Votes = 1% approx
27 Votes = 4% approx

then 289(Y) - 282(I) = 7; how come 7 Votes = 2% approx

Please can somebody calculate how many votes equal 1% in real number (not integer)

Anything from 0.5 to 1.4 was counted as one while anything from 1.5 to 2.4 was counted as two.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 12:26pm On May 24, 2012
Obiagu1:

Bini, Esan, and Etsako are under Edo while Urhobo and Isoko are under Urhobo. I was surprised at the split but it was late as the poll has started.

Urhobo and Isoko are Edoid languages so they are part of the Edo nation. If I had united Bini and Esan, I might've as well combined them with Urhobo and Isoko. These peoples are not usually combined as one ethnic group but they all fall under the same language group.

I wish Physics would elaborate on this.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by BusHouse(m): 5:52pm On Jun 03, 2012
afam4eva:
Is ogori magongo a tribe?
Yes,Ogori is a tribe. Their language is called Ókò. That is d only tribe that speaks that language in the whole universe.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 5:15am On Jun 04, 2012
BusHouse: Yes,Ogori is a tribe. Their language is called Ókò. That is d only tribe that speaks that language in the whole universe.
I used to think Ogori was part of one of those Kogi tribes.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by lexkuba: 8:39am On Jun 04, 2012
Hope you are not stopping at that? Because other tribes like mine(IGEDE) is yet to be mentioned
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On Jun 04, 2012
lexkuba: Hope you are not stopping at that? Because other tribes like mine(IGEDE) is yet to be mentioned
Where's IGEDE?
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by emiye(m): 12:39pm On Jun 04, 2012
^^^, should be in BENUE state
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by BusHouse(m): 4:01pm On Jun 04, 2012
afam4eva:
I used to think Ogori was part of one of those Kogi tribes.
Now u know.
Re: Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census by odumchi: 11:11pm On Jun 04, 2012
Not to worry, all of these ethnicities will be included in next year's census.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Government Seals Off Pension Office For Engaging In Waste Burning (Photos) / Economic Hardship: Cassava, Potatoes To The Rescue In Borno, Taraba / Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.