Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,278 members, 7,881,044 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:26 AM

General South Africa Visa Enquiries - Travel (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General South Africa Visa Enquiries (1772598 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (922) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
Happy new year to all who make this forum remarkable .justwise, collinb and other contributors well done ! Pls in 2014 let us make effort to post VACANCIES OPPORTUNITIES available in the Republic and SCHORLARSHIPS OPPORTUNITiES .pls don't be greedy if u re enjoying schorlarships and grants pls inform the house so that this coming year other forumites can apply .GOD bless u all in jesus name .
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by damola91: 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hi everyone, earlier in the year I got my student visa(thanks to this thread ) but I couldn't go because registration had ended before I got the visa. I got in touch with the HOD and he told me to come over in January and submit application for re-admission. So, hopefully I'll be going by January.

However I'd like to know what exactly, like papers I'd need to hold along to the airport while going,

then BTA issue, I heard it isn't a good idea to hold dollars, but to wait until u get over there and withdraw from an ATM.

Thanks
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by TYPOP(m): 7:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
damola91: Hi everyone, earlier in the year I got my student visa(thanks to this thread ) but I couldn't go because registration had ended before I got the visa. I got in touch with the HOD and he told me to come over in January and submit application for re-admission. So, hopefully I'll be going by January.
However I'd like to know what exactly, like papers I'd need to hold along to the airport while going,
then BTA issue, I heard it isn't a good idea to hold dollars, but to wait until u get over there and withdraw from an ATM.
Thanks

You will need a paper indicating your accomodation (either a letter from someone indicating you will stay with him/her or a hotel reservation), your passport, yellow fever vaccination, admission letter and your passport. I think that is all. Anybody else thinks he needs any other thing?

On BTA, forget dollars. If anybody asks you for BTA at the airport, tell them you have ATM and will withdraw at the machine. For that, you may hold your recent bank balance. There should not be any problem with that.

Happy New Year guys.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by TYPOP(m): 7:12pm On Dec 31, 2013
samtol4: Happy new year to all who make this forum remarkable .justwise, collinb and other contributors well done ! Pls in 2014 let us make effort to post VACANCIES OPPORTUNITIES available in the Republic and SCHORLARSHIPS OPPORTUNITiES .pls don't be greedy if u re enjoying schorlarships and grants pls inform the house so that this coming year other forumites can apply .GOD bless u all in jesus name .

Nice one.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 11:58pm On Dec 31, 2013
U don't need hotel reservation for student stuf since u can't stay in hotel doing 1year period u need proof of residence ,I believe u summited one wen u apply for visa u need to hold a copy(it is not a must bt because of our immigration)2ndly u need BTA(500dollars)as first timer .just hold it incase dey check u won't give any1 it is yours .saying u ve atm to a stubborn immigration officer can aid u missing your flight ! A word is enough for the wise
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 1:13am On Jan 01, 2014
Vacancy :civil engineer lecturer @elangeni college kwa zulu natal apply now
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 1:18am On Jan 01, 2014
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 6:58am On Jan 01, 2014
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 7:03am On Jan 01, 2014
teacher jobs in South Africahttp://za.all-the-jobs.com/jobs?position=teacher&location=&jbe=true
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by haywhy0007(m): 12:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hi all, i need your enlightenment on this: I got my one year visa last week but it was issued from Ghana and i am planing to travel in two or three weeks time.. I will be staying with a friend in Pretoria but I won't mind if I can found someone here going to Pretoria and we could share apartment together. I was told i will need a paper indicating my accommodation (either a letter from my friend indicating i am staying with him or a hotel reservation), I have no letter so I am going for hotel reservation and I would be staying for 8months or more.. Can anybody here help on how to get a hotel reservation in Pretoria? Another things is my friend in SA said When i get to SA at d port of entry, i wont be issued more dan 30 days despite giving me 1year visa.. Is that true? He also says I will have to visit anoda countries close to SA, eg...Tanzania,Zimbabue,Mozabique,Swaziland nd co, will b going to dose countries every month so dat i would have a gud record nd profile for my future and build my visa .. I need your advise on this...

Anoda thing is about me using my ATM card in SA.. Wot do i have to do in oda to use my ATM Card in SA? I am running GTB or do I need to open anoda account with on other bank? I need your say.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 6:03pm On Jan 02, 2014
@last poster .u will b given 30days @point of entry meaning u can stay just for 30days sum guys usually go neighbouring countries and enter again while sum people apply for 3months extension .u planned to stay 8months for business or tourism? For atm card your GTB master card is ok ,I make use of istbank and uba u don't need to open any account .concerning accommodation I would have accommodated u but u have a friend here ,he will be in a better position to make arrangement for u since u said he is your friend
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 6:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
@juliana u re still on track ,admission is always february ist semester and july 2nd semester .so by april u shld have gotten admission letter and apply for visa .u re not letter .when are u passing out nysc
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by phone: 9:03pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hello house,i dnt knw if anybdy submit visiting visa application last yr december nd d person av receive it, i submitted my application on 16th of dec nd till now i av nt hear anything frm dem,pls wat cn i do
2. dos SAQA cerficate xpiry.
pls i need ur reply on dis.tnx
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by elume2020(m): 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2014
Happy new year to everyone in the house and most especially patrons of this thread. In continuation of my post visa advise for all those coming this month to South Africa most especially Students here is part 2. Some items are quite cheap here in South Africa like everything you will need to set-up a room as a student you can get them for cheap price also you can pay for premium quality things depending on how much you want to spend. But items like Phones to me its is very expensive if you are to pay a one-off payment but newly release phones are first placed on contract by different telecommunication firm for a period of two years. I will like patrons in the house to shed more light of the conditions for you to have such a contract phone. I use a Sony xperia Z, the last time i checked it goes for R8,000 i got mine from Uganda for about R5,000.

With regards to plugs for your electronics, The Circular socket like that type for Air Condition in Nigeria is the standard here. So if you have a square plug you might need to get an adaptor to be able to connect to electricity. You can get these adaptor in the mall but it is difficult to come by so please if your devices are electricity hungry get your adaptor from Nigeria.

You might want to ask if Nigerian food are available, Yes there are shops in Johannesburg that sells Nigerian foods but you need to do some findings about where they are located, if you reside in Johannesburg, i Know one is in Braamfontein. As to Nigerian cooking ingredient, the name are different here though the content might be the same so you have to know what you want in the mall. As for guys like me it was pretty confusing to get the ingredient i need to prepare some meals. Get a South African friend that you can go to the mall together for the first one or two visit so you have an understanding of what is packaged and you buy the appropriate items.

With regards to opening of bank account, when you arrive the bank, let them know you want a student account. In standard bank, which i use at first there was a restriction for opening access account which was designed for student by international student so i had to settle for Plus plan, they charge a monthly fee of about R40, if you deposit money at the bank over the counter i was charged R49, some service charge of R16 and i was charged per swipe. In short it was an expensive account to operate so i had to complain about all the charges then i was told the restriction on the access account has been removed. So i encourage you to have a proper understanding on how the account you open operate. I am using Access account and made my charges per transaction so i perform like One transaction per month. I withdraw about R1,500 which is enough for me for a month, feeding, call, transport and the likes, mind you i am a student who uses the school transport everyday, No lover but i have friends and i am a very cautious spender so i can live within my limits. Please note some banks are strictly for South Africans, so don't feel embarrassed if you walk into a back and they tell you they cannot open an account for you. I can't remember the name of that bank, Patrons please help me on that.

I understand the issue of accommodation is very important. Please before you make payment for your accommodation to any agent do find out about the area your house is located. honestly some places are not student friendly. If you are a peace loving student that uses Laptop and expensive phone which you have to take to school everyday and you don't have a control over the time you leave school please be careful.

On the issue of keeping in touch with Nigeria. Calling from an MTN line from South Africa to MTN line in Nigeria is fairly as good and when you make an MTN to MTN call in Nigeria, you don't have to be scared that International call symptom. I have discovered if you call different network especially from MTN line to other network, yoh, your credit is gone. I learnt Cell C has the cheapest rate but i was not satisfied with their services. I will advice you get a phone that can chat. Many South African will rather chat than make a call. so to keep in touch get a chatting phone. I use 8.ta for my phone internet service. with R149, i get 2Gb data plus and extra 1Gb night plan from 11pm maybe till 6am. also 2GB wireless internet connectivity at some choice location like McDonald though i haven't gotten time to explore that wireless. so make a proper search on your area, if you have the services before you but your line. MTN is actually evrywhere you go, so also Vodacom. 8.ta coverage is still limited.

This came to mind, I read about the BTA issue. just as someone said tell them you have a master card. But I will advise you before you are even asked about the BTA, the following set of offices at MMA will task you, Immigration, Custom and NDLEA. Please tell them you are a student and stand a ground that you don't have money. they will really disturb you. Attimes they will take your passport from you and ask you to go into a room. there you will meet like two officer, they expect you settle them before you can get your passport. I didn't pay a dime and it was my first time of travelling, though i was scared of them and their wahala. i had only about 60USD on me, na the 10,000 naira wey my papa give me i convert and they want to collect it, never. i hide for my hand luggage. so by the time a search was conducted it was the 200 naira in 20 naira and five naira note which i told them i have they found on me. so be wise also note there is a limit to amount you can travel with else you declare, please note this you might be arrested as a matter of fact i won't expect a student to be travelling with such money. any excess money should be in your bank account all you need is a master card. When you get here insert your master card and withdraw in rand, necessary conversion will be made and fixed charge will be deducted and you get a rand equivalent. also note this rate changes but have an idea of the rate and try as much to make a withdraw as much as you need. the fixed charge is irrespective of the amount. R10 and R1000 attracts the same fixed charge. so be smart.

As event unfolds and lessons are learnt, I will update the forum. thanks
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Moratiwa: 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
elume2020: Happy new year to everyone in the house and most especially patrons of this thread. In continuation of my post visa advise for all those coming this month to South Africa most especially Students here is part 2. Some items are quite cheap here in South Africa like everything you will need to set-up a room as a student you can get them for cheap price also you can pay for premium quality things depending on how much you want to spend. But items like Phones to me its is very expensive if you are to pay a one-off payment but newly release phones are first placed on contract by different telecommunication firm for a period of two years. I will like patrons in the house to shed more light of the conditions for you to have such a contract phone. I use a Sony xperia Z, the last time i checked it goes for R8,000 i got mine from Uganda for about R5,000.

With regards to plugs for your electronics, The Circular socket like that type for Air Condition in Nigeria is the standard here. So if you have a square plug you might need to get an adaptor to be able to connect to electricity. You can get these adaptor in the mall but it is difficult to come by so please if your devices are electricity hungry get your adaptor from Nigeria.

You might want to ask if Nigerian food are available, Yes there are shops in Johannesburg that sells Nigerian foods but you need to do some findings about where they are located, if you reside in Johannesburg, i Know one is in Braamfontein. As to Nigerian cooking ingredient, the name are different here though the content might be the same so you have to know what you want in the mall. As for guys like me it was pretty confusing to get the ingredient i need to prepare some meals. Get a South African friend that you can go to the mall together for the first one or two visit so you have an understanding of what is packaged and you buy the appropriate items.

With regards to opening of bank account, when you arrive the bank, let them know you want a student account. In standard bank, which i use at first there was a restriction for opening access account which was designed for student by international student so i had to settle for Plus plan, they charge a monthly fee of about R40, if you deposit money at the bank over the counter i was charged R49, some service charge of R16 and i was charged per swipe. In short it was an expensive account to operate so i had to complain about all the charges then i was told the restriction on the access account has been removed. So i encourage you to have a proper understanding on how the account you open operate. I am using Access account and made my charges per transaction so i perform like One transaction per month. I withdraw about R1,500 which is enough for me for a month, feeding, call, transport and the likes, mind you i am a student who uses the school transport everyday, No lover but i have friends and i am a very cautious spender so i can live within my limits. Please note some banks are strictly for South Africans, so don't feel embarrassed if you walk into a back and they tell you they cannot open an account for you. I can't remember the name of that bank, Patrons please help me on that.

I understand the issue of accommodation is very important. Please before you make payment for your accommodation to any agent do find out about the area your house is located. honestly some places are not student friendly. If you are a peace loving student that uses Laptop and expensive phone which you have to take to school everyday and you don't have a control over the time you leave school please be careful.

On the issue of keeping in touch with Nigeria. Calling from an MTN line from South Africa to MTN line in Nigeria is fairly as good and when you make an MTN to MTN call in Nigeria, you don't have to be scared that International call symptom. I have discovered if you call different network especially from MTN line to other network, yoh, your credit is gone. I learnt Cell C has the cheapest rate but i was not satisfied with their services. I will advice you get a phone that can chat. Many South African will rather chat than make a call. so to keep in touch get a chatting phone. I use 8.ta for my phone internet service. with R149, i get 2Gb data plus and extra 1Gb night plan from 11pm maybe till 6am. also 2GB wireless internet connectivity at some choice location like McDonald though i haven't gotten time to explore that wireless. so make a proper search on your area, if you have the services before you but your line. MTN is actually evrywhere you go, so also Vodacom. 8.ta coverage is still limited.

This came to mind, I read about the BTA issue. just as someone said tell them you have a master card. But I will advise you before you are even asked about the BTA, the following set of offices at MMA will task you, Immigration, Custom and NDLEA. Please tell them you are a student and stand a ground that you don't have money. they will really disturb you. Attimes they will take your passport from you and ask you to go into a room. there you will meet like two officer, they expect you settle them before you can get your passport. I didn't pay a dime and it was my first time of travelling, though i was scared of them and their wahala. i had only about 60USD on me, na the 10,000 naira wey my papa give me i convert and they want to collect it, never. i hide for my hand luggage. so by the time a search was conducted it was the 200 naira in 20 naira and five naira note which i told them i have they found on me. so be wise also note there is a limit to amount you can travel with else you declare, please note this you might be arrested as a matter of fact i won't expect a student to be travelling with such money. any excess money should be in your bank account all you need is a master card. When you get here insert your master card and withdraw in rand, necessary conversion will be made and fixed charge will be deducted and you get a rand equivalent. also note this rate changes but have an idea of the rate and try as much to make a withdraw as much as you need. the fixed charge is irrespective of the amount. R10 and R1000 attracts the same fixed charge. so be smart.

As event unfolds and lessons are learnt, I will update the forum. thanks
I don't know if this is relevant,'m South African but I used to live close to a Nigerian store at Church Street in Pretoria,it is located close to Church Square neighbouring Caffe riche'(the coffee shop);I hope this will be helpful.

2 Likes

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by showbiz4all27(m): 11:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
I will be clocking age 30th this June 2014,
I just concluded my NYSC march 2013 and
I already gotten a stress free job as a
Mechanical Engineer in a Pharmaceutical
and Beverages company here in Nigeria
with my HND and other professional certificate where my monthly pay is just
#70000 only. I am thinking of relocating
to South Africa for greener pasture and to
start another life over there. please what
advise can you give me with my plans
cos I have already gotten more than the money required to traveled to South
Africa? Please don't pass insult just give a
brotherly advice and facts to know
before i move on as I am ready to take
heed. thanks.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 12:20am On Jan 03, 2014
@oga elume nice write up bravo .but R149 for 2GB is too much bros .I use mtn R60 for 1GB and cell R37 concerning foodstuf I think dose coming shld come with nigerian food dat will sustain dem for 1 to 2months bfore buying here Nigerian foodstuff no b joke here .it is expensive and not the best u start spending on it when u could ve load your bags
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 12:54am On Jan 03, 2014
@showbiz ,it is interesting that you an engineer .with my little research I discovered that engineers and science teachers are needed more compare to those in the liberal arts.before u relocate sir ,mak effort to collect your transcripts and summit it for Saqa evaluation (one of the document to b summitted when you apply for work permit in sa) ,2ndly have you google on net to know your job opportunities ?3,which city u intend staying sir and lastly don't conclude yet that you have gotten more than enough money and accommodation is expensive hence relocating is capital intensive ...finally I can asure u with proper planning and GOD's factor you will better off in south africa.some engineers earn 20krand and some earn 27krand which is abt 400k to 500knaira !
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by elume2020(m): 9:25am On Jan 03, 2014
Thanks Moratiwa, your contribution is indeed needful. we are all trying to make people settle down as soon as possible.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by herigift: 11:25am On Jan 03, 2014
samtol4: http://m.gumtree.co.za/a-web-designers/city-centre/comptia-ct-43-43-lecturer-needed-urgently/v?adId=108173472.apply now for web designer @capetown
thanks,,how available is jobs for medical doctors especially in pinetown or durban any vacancy or website to visit? also any vacancy for chemistry education teacher in pinetown or surrounding because he will be schooling at edgewood campus of UKZN , he already has saqa certificate. Thanks
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
herigift: thanks,,how available is jobs for medical doctors especially in pinetown or durban any vacancy or website to visit? also any vacancy for chemistry education teacher in pinetown or surrounding because he will be schooling at edgewood campus of UKZN , he already has saqa certificate. Thanks
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
@herigift medical doctors and nurses are usually needed in durban and other major cities .pls google "jobs for medical doctors south africa .
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by aagadeogun(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2014
hello everybody
pls i want to submit my application for SA visa next week. Im going there for a conference in feb and will spend a week. I have all the documents listed on their website. I want to ask if the embassy will require me to pay repartration fee or whatever. Note that this is not part of the stated. requirement. I currently work. with a federal univ here in nigeria.
thank you.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 1:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
@adeogun prepare to pay d money .if dey ask out to pay if not na your luck b dat .even if u pay it will be refunded when your visa expire
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by haywhy0007(m): 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Samtol4 thanks for the info.. I must say I really appreciate... i am staying for tourism and I would also like to know how mush its gonna cost for 2weeks hotel reservation in Pretoria..
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by benefe: 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
@samlto4, u really doing a nice job,hw u enjoying ukzn, hope to see u soon, for MRes and PhD they dont pay fees only levy right, secondly i will like to knw how much my account balance can show on my bank statement,am coming 2 ukzn, preparing 2 apply at the embassy. ur reply will be appreciated. thanks
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 8:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
Full time masters and phd is free tuition .u only pay 20knaira international levy when u arrived .before u summit at embassy did u pay for medical insurance(vital)concerning account balance I don't know the current requirement but 500k shld b ok but I stand to be corrected
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samtol4(m): 7:21am On Jan 05, 2014
Hotels are not expensive here u can get 200_300rand in joburg I don't ve idea of hotel in pretoria .perhap I will make enquiry when I go pretoria this week,however any1 living in pretoria can suggest gud hotel to the house
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by moneyhungry(m): 9:56am On Jan 05, 2014
please I need y'all help.
I want to migrate to American cuz I have a wealthy relative there but I want to go through S.A. I have another wealthy cousin in S.A whom I can stay with while I process my visa to America. I learnt that it is easier this way. I'm a graduate in my mid 20's.
please I need all the tips and advice you can give me.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by benefe: 1:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
@samlto4, thanks for the reply, on the site i saw full time masters in research(1yr) and phd pay only that levy u talking about but full time course work masters (2yrs)pays tuition, from the website and their postgraduate guide 2014 copy. yes i will for the medical cover secondly, i was working before i have saved 600k but i want to also use my sponsor's bank statement of 1million balance or will u advise i jst transfer the 1million into my account and use one bank statement?
pls other sugguestions are welcome.
@kingmayor, pls i need the medical and radiological report form, pls this is my email efebaby2001@yahoo.com, also @samlto4 pls if you have the forms pls email it to me.
thanks to you all, i appreciate

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (922) (Reply)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion.

Viewing this topic: Patmos3905

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.