Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,498 members, 7,892,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:29 AM

Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal (14346 Views)

Roberto Di Matteo For Valencia Job? / Roberto Di Matteo Sacked / Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by shadrach77: 11:09pm On May 23, 2012
Kslib: Hehehehe! E don happen..When the season starts,it will be obvious that he was winning with luck,and not experience.
If na me be the guy,i no go collect.I go first cool down before taking any coaching job and gather experience...
you spoke wisely. I have constantly stated that Di Matteo achieved all he did through luck. Afterall, he was sacked in his previous job. The new season will expose him as a below par manager cheesy wink smiley
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Adexchelsea19(m): 11:12pm On May 23, 2012
ndidibabe: You analysis is the best on this thread. Quite explicit. You earn my respect.
He said all what needed 2b said,some of us that undastand the game knws he is right,thanks 4 tellin him that even though others re castigating him.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by mykali(m): 11:29pm On May 23, 2012
this thread made me laugh though...the jabs were quite devious.

as for pro01...bro, we dont give trailer-load of shit if RDM won with luck or not...wining the games against Napoli and Barcelona, we didnt just sit there and defend. our counter attack earned us the needed goalsto go through. will you call that luck as well? was it luck that made Drogba nod that equalizer into the net? or the same luck that made Robben and Schweini miss their penalties while Cech went in the right direction??

anyways...if RDM is staying for a year, he should be made to understand what the owner needs. we aint gunning for all that glory no more...time to build
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Ibime(m): 11:43pm On May 23, 2012
Anyone talking nonsense about style of footie is on a long thing.

You dont take over a club mid-way and change style of play whilst engaged in the hardest 3 months of the season.

Some people here dey yarn opata about style of play. Thunder fire them. Una no watch the 4-1 against Napoli and 5-1 against Tottenham? Which style of play was that?

Im sure mumu like Pro01 wants to take Barca on at their game and lose 7-1.

RDM is known for exciting play. Infact that was what got him fired at West Brom cos he played too much attacking footie and his defence was leaking goals.

But of course, I dont expect troglodytes and nincompoops to appreciate the tactical ingenuity showed by RDM, whether in reinstating Kalou, playing Mikel to his best, using Ramires as a tactical tool on the left or right-wing to shore up the defence and expose opponents on the counterattack, or bringing out the best of Lampard in a new defensive position whilst moving Mata from ineffectuality on the left wing to a central attacking position.

Maybe they prefer the "attacking" football that AVB showed. . . which turned out to be the most boring football in Chelsea history

Charlatans like Pro01 and all the ladies supporting him only watch football on the pages of magazines.

The most important reason not to sack RDM is this:

(1.) The price of success should never be failure. You dont disincentivise success. You sack a man for succeeding, no other manager would want to replace him, and if they do they are doomed from start because they can never win the UCL with this set of players.

For those asking what Im talking about, please reference Madrids ten years in UCL wilderness after sacking Del Bosque who had just won them the Champions League.

(2.) The new manager would never build the team, knowing that he is only keeping the seat warm for Guardiola. He would only be interested in collecting his paycheque till Roman fires him. I dont believe Guardiola is a genius (Rijkaard wasnt) but the worst case scenario is to give RDM a 2 year contract, even if you intend to sack him after one year and hire Guardiola. It motivates both him and the players to think he is in control for the long run.

(3.) Chelsea is historically a team run on the motivation of the players. Dent their motivation again by sacking RDM and you risk a repeat of their demotivation when Grant took over from Mourinho, or when AVB was given the job instead of Guus Hiddink. The players at Chelsea do not need tinkering. They know their job and are all leaders, whether Terry, Cech, Lampard, Ashley or DD. They only need to be kept happy and see fairness meted out by Abramovic.

(4.) This dilly-dallying is not strengthening the manager's hand. Any player that knows the manager is 2nd choice will start causing problems as soon as RDM drop him on the bench cos he knows RDM does not have the owners backing.

(5.) Sytability and Continuity. RDM knows the strengths and weaknesses of the players. He knows the squad and where needs to be improved. He knows the Premierleague, and he can get the job done.

And for any eediot that criticise style of play in the final, ask that mumu to swap Bertrand and Kalou for Ribery and Robben, then come back and tell me whether the manager is responsible for playing football or the players. FOOLS!!

A good manager who knows his players cannot out-attack the opponent will limit his risk by choosing his moments to attack carefully and not leave his team exposed. Cos if its bullet for bullet, Bayern Munich and Barca will outgun Chelsea any day of the week.

In conclusion, Pro01 is a nincompoop as earlier stated.

1 Like

Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 23, 2012
yoji: @ pro 1: ur analysis is d best I've seen on this thread. Forget dat pre-maturely born deranged tout called ibime who thinks who expects to go into a mudfight and leave wit his white singlet unstained.
Firstly nobody should argue wit abramovic cos his policy of hire and fire whether u like it or not has won d club 10 trophies in 8yrs and some fools will b talkin crap dat he doesn't know anything football. My friend dat guy knows a lot and dats y chelsea have enjoyed their most succesful period under him so nobody should argue with him.
Secondly a one year contract to prove himself is totally in order afterall some pple dat got longer contracts didn't last the lenght of d contract. Di matteo was a very lucky coach and has been given a chance to prove himself which if he does then its extended shikena. Was it not d same coach dat was about to relegate west brom b4 he was sacked? All of a sudden he is d chosen one and must coach chelsea for life cos he was lucky.
Wen d AVB project failed due to lack of personel to execute his entertainin model demanded by d owner and sabotage on d part of d senior players, di matteo was only drafted in to maintain stability and dats wat he did.
Abramovic wants a team dat will give him d entertainment value and respect accorded d barcelonas and madrid not d defend @ all cost model of di matteo.
Wait till next season wen wind blow and foul nyansh open!

Lol @ the bolded. I've noticed that too many times on NL, and it is something that disgusts me to no end. You throw a punch at someone and then expect him to be 'mature' by hugging you in return! Imagine such impunity.

Anyways, your points are completely valid, and it's the same point I tried to make earlier. I always tell my fellow Chelsea fans that only a fake, confused, ungrateful, or extremely ignorant Chelsea fan would EVER condemn Abramovich's actions. A man spends his billions to achieve the very best, and you sit in one corner questioning his motives? Sure, one can disagree with him every now and then, but to condemn him is absolutely ridiculous - especially because we all know he has the best interests of the club at heart. To start with, without this man, most of the so-called Chelsea fans in Nigeria would not be fans in the first place - becuase Chelsea would have merely remained the upper-mid table club it was prior to the Roman Era, making only occasional 'cameo' appearances in 4th or 5th position just like Newcastle or Everton.

Roman has demonstrated that he has very high standards and expectations for the club, and surely that can't be a bad thing - considering how much of his own money he has invested with no aim of making profit. Sacking all those managers was only an expression of his unwillingness to settle for lower standards or reduce his expectations. The moment he surrenders to sentimentality like some fans are clamouring for, don't be surprised if Chelsea's case gradually becomes similar to that of Liverpool - a hitherto HUGE club that has lost direction because the owners allowed standards to drop.

It's incredible that a Chelsea fan would be abusing Roman because he did not give Di Matteo a 10 year contract. Any reasonable person would agree that, considering the entirely providential nature of his FA Cup and UCL triumphs, Di Matteo deserves no more than a one year contract to prove himself and erase all doubts. If he wins the premiership next season or generally gives a good account of himself, then of course Roman would have no choice than to give up the chase for Guardiola and hand Di Matteo a longer contract, this is a pragmatic and sensible option that would appeal to all parties - including Di Matteo, the players, and the Chelsea board. Why any Chelsea fan would have a problem with this arrangement entirely beats my imagination.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by chucky234(m): 12:10am On May 24, 2012
Ibime:

Except to say that Abramovic could not find his ar.se with his hand when it comes to football matters nor could he "critically evaluate" anything to do with football (which he only started watching in 2003) as he has proved time and again.

Just because RA is owner and billionaire does not prevent me from saying he knows nothing about footbal. . . and you my friend are talking absolute rubbish.

RA "critically evaluated" the signing of Torres and Shevchenko without asking the manager whether they fit in with the style of play, "critically evaluated" the sacking of Mourinho, "critically evaluated" the sacking of Ancelotti, then "critically evaluated" that AVB was better to replace him than Guus Hiddink.

My friend, quit talking jargon. My neice knows more about football than Abramovic.

Luck is RDM winning one competition, not TWO.

You might say he used tactics combined with some good fortune to win the UCL, but what do you expect him to win with. . . better players that Chelsea dont have?

A man used Salomon Kalou, Ryan Bertrand and Bosingwa to win Champions League and all nincompoops like yourself know to do is shout "luck, luck, luck".

Perhaps a footballing neophyte like yourself expected him to use these players and outplay Barca and such.

He finished 6th in the league yes, but you forgot he played 20 games in 60 days and used his reserve team for those league matches, besides those matches were not like Bolton or Stoke, more like Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle sandwiched in between Barcelona and Napoli and other heavyweight matches and no way he could use the first team for those matches and still stay in Europe.

You think RDM is going to accept "probation" contract when at least 5 clubs would offer him good contract this summer?

Roman Abramovic is a fool when it comes to football matters. . . .and so are you!
Guy you know nothing about football,Kalou has been playing at top level for more than 5 years and have also been a super starter for Ivory Coast for same period of time.
Van Gaal won the UCL with Ajax in 1995 with relatively unknown players who were younger than Bertrand,more than half of that Ajax team also made their CL debute that same year. Players like Kanu,Kluivert,Bogade,Musampa were all 18 years and were integral part of that Ajax team.
Di Matteo despite taking WBA back to the EPL was sacked for same reason,lack of tactical depth.
Modern game needs flare and RDM cannot give Chelsea,satistics shows this year's CL final has been the worst final ever as Mourinho Inter faired better against Bayern in 2010.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Ibime(m): 12:24am On May 24, 2012
chucky234:
Guy you know nothing about football,Kalou has been playing at top level for more than 5 years and have also been a super starter for Ivory Coast for same period of time.
Van Gaal won the UCL with Ajax in 1995 with relatively unknown players who were younger than Bertrand,more than half of that Ajax team also made their CL debute that same year. Players like Kanu,Kluivert,Bogade,Musampa were all 18 years and were integral part of that Ajax team.
Di Matteo despite taking WBA back to the EPL was sacked for same reason,lack of tactical depth.
Modern game needs flare and RDM cannot give Chelsea,satistics shows this year's CL final has been the worst final ever as Mourinho Inter faired better against Bayern in 2010.

Guy, you are a fool of epic proportions.

Bogarde, Kluivert and Kanu did not start 1995 final but came on as late substitutes.

Musampa was not even around till 1996 final.

You want to school me on something you dont know. See your akpu face.

You must be talking of 1996 final which they lost.

Comparing Ajax of 95 to the Chelsea squad in the final? You must be sick in the head!

If you look at that Ajax team, every single one of them is a maf. You want to compare that to a team that was struggling to qualify for Champions League that a manager had to patch together in 3 months without making any signings.

Kalou is a great player? Another reason why you are demented. Please go and read Chelsea fans comments toward Kalou. . .

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/23/3121987/kalou-set-to-decide-on-chelsea-future-in-the-next-week
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 1:14am On May 24, 2012
pro01: I wonder why most of you are so naive and sentimental about this issue. As a passionate Chelsea fan, I can say that Roman Abramovich made the right decision yet again. If you look at how Di Matteo won the FA cup and the Champions League, it is impossible not to notice that he was extremely lucky on too many occasions. The tactics were particularly woeful and a bad advertisement for the beautiful game of football. How long can you ride your luck? Besides, don't forget that he finished an embarrasing 6th in the league - and before you blame AVB for that, you must also remember that as at the time of AVB's sack, Chelsea were in 5th position. So you can't say Di Matteo improved Chelsea's leasgue form; if anything, he worsened it.

Having said that, and in light of the sheer fact that he managed to win the coveted UCL, the only fair thing to do is to give him at most a year 'probation' contract to see if he is indeed a good manager that can challenge for the league and all the other competitions. Don't forget also that the primary task Abramovich wants the next manager to achieve is to rebuild the team with new players and make the team's style of play more positive and entertaining. Regardless of Di Matteo's unprecedented luck, it is clear that he does not seem to have what it takes to achieve this difficult long-term task - not with the embarrasingly negative and ugly tactics Chelsea used to overcome Barcelona, Liverpool, and Bayern by sheer luck. The best thing is therefore to give him a short contract to see if he can prove himself. That is what our Big Boss Abramovich has done. What in the world is wrong with that?

He certainly didn't become so rich and successful by being foolishly sentimental. He has to take decisions based on empirics and critical evaluation of things.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 1:28am On May 24, 2012
Just listen 2 urself.Did u just called a tactic dat yielded good results and won silverwares a woeful tactic?I hope u know d meaning of woeful?I'm sure if Arsenal fans are asked ryt now if they prefer beautiful footie 2 silverware,they'l chose d latter.
Now,listen Roman Abramovich myt be well schooled in Oil business but wen it comes 2 football,he is a baby and his decisions av neva been emperically weighed.He doesn't even believe in long term goals,2 impatient.Landed Shevchenko witout even d Coach's decisn and u call dat emperically weighed.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 1:42am On May 24, 2012
Ibime:

Except to say that Abramovic could not find his ar.se with his hand when it comes to football matters nor could he "critically evaluate" anything to do with football (which he only started watching in 2003) as he has proved time and again.

Just because RA is owner and billionaire does not prevent me from saying he knows nothing about footbal. . . and you my friend are talking absolute rubbish.

RA "critically evaluated" the signing of Torres and Shevchenko without asking the manager whether they fit in with the style of play, "critically evaluated" the sacking of Mourinho, "critically evaluated" the sacking of Ancelotti, then "critically evaluated" that AVB was better to replace him than Guus Hiddink.

My friend, quit talking jargon. My neice knows more about football than Abramovic.

Luck is RDM winning one competition, not TWO.

You might say he used tactics combined with some good fortune to win the UCL, but what do you expect him to win with. . . better players that Chelsea dont have?

A man used Salomon Kalou, Ryan Bertrand and Bosingwa to win Champions League and all nincompoops like yourself know to do is shout "luck, luck, luck".

Perhaps a footballing neophyte like yourself expected him to use these players and outplay Barca and such.

He finished 6th in the league yes, but you forgot he played 20 games in 60 days and used his reserve team for those league matches, besides those matches were not like Bolton or Stoke, more like Man City, Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle sandwiched in between Barcelona and Napoli and other heavyweight matches and no way he could use the first team for those matches and still stay in Europe.

You think RDM is going to accept "probation" contract when at least 5 clubs would offer him good contract this summer?

Roman Abramovic is a fool when it comes to football matters. . . .and so are you!
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Sagytarius(m): 1:46am On May 24, 2012
BlueDiva:

You are so unrefined.
Are you a Chelsea fan or a Chelsea tout?

Someone disagrees with you and you have to show how crude you are.
All these gutter bred folks are the ones giving Chelsea fans a bad reputation.

guy, u be fool? u blind? u suck ur mama breast at all? y u dey reason like animal? u dey try tell me say u nor see say na ibime first insult am? pro yarn wetin dey him mind, objectively without insulting anyone. na'im ibime from no where begin curse person pikin. if ibime wan counter wetin pro tok, e nor fi do am maturely and objectively without insult? At first, I nor beliv say chelsea fi' get mature ppl like pro; unlike typical tout-fans lyk u and ibime.

Behave o!
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 1:54am On May 24, 2012
@Ibime,Ur arguement is well stated,right on point and thumbs up 2 U.Pple are very difficult 2 satisfy(even RDM shuld know dat by now) just dat U shouldn't av used such words like 'fool' e.t.c on Pro01 just because he aired his views even though he stood 2 be corrected. I think he dserves an apology.
PRO01 on his own part shuldn't av said most pple commenting are naive cos dat's an egocentric feeling of superiority of his own ideas and thoughts over others'.He needs 2 apologise 2 d house also.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 3:16am On May 24, 2012
Nairalanders,wen dis beautiful game called football was invented,it was clearly stated dat;THE AIM OF THE GAME SHALL BE TO PUT THE BALL IN THE OPPONENT'S NET.D rules were stated also.Guess wat? D style dat a team shuld use 2 put d ball in d opponent's net was not stated.No definitns were given 4 beautiful football, attractive football, negative football e.t.c. A team knocking d ball around,taking d play 2 d opposition and playing in a free flowing manner(termed beautiful football by some) is a tactic.U will agree wit me also dat; Soaking up d pressure 4rm an opposing team and waiting patiently 2 catch such opponent unawares is also a tactic. D 2 styles are common even amongst boxers.
Therefore,Chelsea's playing style is a type of football tactic or betterstill football philosophy orchestrated and popularised by Mourinho.D earlier people accept and learn 2 live wit dis tactic,d beta 4 dem and I foresee more teams picking up dis philosophy.
Moreover,I totally disagree wit those saying Chelsea was lucky enroute Champions League triumph.RDM knows ow 2 bring out d best in his players.Knows wen attack is vital(NAPOLI), know wen 2 absorb d pressure (BARCA,BAYERN).Wen 2 go 4 d kill. What a brilliant man he is! Remember,In d 1st leg against BARCA,it was 1 major attack,1 goal. 2nd leg, 2 major attacks,2 goals and against Bayern,1 major opportunity,1 goal.A team dat is capable of dz must be a nearly impeccable one wit it's tactics.If anything needs 2 b called beautiful,it is this beautiful perfection! Football will definately be a bore if every team played like Barcelonia. UP CHELSEA!!!

1 Like

Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by sucrecruz: 3:44am On May 24, 2012
As Chelsea Fans we dont need rain insults on our selves because of the disparity of our views lets us all enjoy the moment and wish RDM the best forthe new season to come.
Tactics or not he has raised the bar
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Nobody: 4:23am On May 24, 2012
Sagytarius:

guy, u be fool? u blind? u suck ur mama breast at all? y u dey reason like animal? u dey try tell me say u nor see say na ibime first insult am? pro yarn wetin dey him mind, objectively without insulting anyone. na'im ibime from no where begin curse person pikin. if ibime wan counter wetin pro tok, e nor fi do am maturely and objectively without insult? At first, I nor beliv say chelsea fi' get mature ppl like pro; unlike typical tout-fans lyk u and ibime.

Behave o!

Another gutter bred.
Little wonder you had to jump to his defence.

I don't expect much from your likes.
A tout will always be uncultured.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by AustineE1: 6:44am On May 24, 2012
...one year contract is still reasonable,if he goes ahead to perform then the contract can be extended!
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by sylve11: 7:16am On May 24, 2012
BlueDiva:

Another gutter bred.

Bluediva, take it easy. Pro1 only stated his views, if u don't like them disagree with him and tell him ur own side; if he declines, then i think it's better to roll-over. Stop the insult, that is not ur thing. cool

@ Ibeme, based on the fact that u r a core chelsea fan doesn't mean u have to look into issues the way u r doing now. For Christ sake this is a forum, where anybody can just walk in, tell u his or her views, then walk away without knowing it all. Pls stop the insult, i respect ur person a lot and won't want to see all these from u. cool
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by SuyaEater(m): 8:11am On May 24, 2012
RDM should walkout and don't take this $hit...1 year? so when he fails next year that will give you the reason to fire his italian a$$
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Lisa1: 8:32am On May 24, 2012
iykak47: Those who believe Di matteo won the two trophies by luck should know that luck is part of life,luck or no luck under few months as chelsea boss the man won uefa champions league,what Mourinho couldn't do in three years.
The same luck played a role when John Terry missed a final spot kick against Manu in 2008.
Please lets leave sentiment and acknowledge that the man has done well.
Baba olowo is confuse, he doesnt know what to do with his club, offering Di Matteo only a year contract shows he is an ingrate.

UP GUNNERS.
Good job![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by tessyade: 8:34am On May 24, 2012
pro01: I wonder why most of you are so naive and sentimental about this issue. As a passionate Chelsea fan, I can say that Roman Abramovich made the right decision yet again. If you look at how Di Matteo won the FA cup and the Champions League, it is impossible not to notice that he was extremely lucky on too many occasions. The tactics were particularly woeful and a bad advertisement for the beautiful game of football. How long can you ride your luck? Besides, don't forget that he finished an embarrasing 6th in the league - and before you blame AVB for that, you must also remember that as at the time of AVB's sack, Chelsea were in 5th position. So you can't say Di Matteo improved Chelsea's leasgue form; if anything, he worsened it.

Having said that, and in light of the sheer fact that he managed to win the coveted UCL, the only fair thing to do is to give him at most a year 'probation' contract to see if he is indeed a good manager that can challenge for the league and all the other competitions. Don't forget also that the primary task Abramovich wants the next manager to achieve is to rebuild the team with new players and make the team's style of play more positive and entertaining. Regardless of Di Matteo's unprecedented luck, it is clear that he does not seem to have what it takes to achieve this difficult long-term task - not with the embarrasingly negative and ugly tactics Chelsea used to overcome Barcelona, Liverpool, and Bayern by sheer luck. The best thing is therefore to give him a short contract to see if he can prove himself. That is what our Big Boss Abramovich has done. What in the world is wrong with that?

He certainly didn't become so rich and successful by being foolishly sentimental. He has to take decisions based on empirics and critical evaluation of things.
You are right bros. I agree with you totally
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Korrection(m): 8:36am On May 24, 2012

YOU SABI PLAY BALLL MTCHEWWWWWWWWW
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Nobody: 8:39am On May 24, 2012

Did u just called a tactic dat yielded good results and
won silverwares a woeful tactic?I hope u know d meaning of woeful?
Na wa oh. I understand people tend to get carried away by the euphoria of victory and success, and then forget the details of how such victories were achieved. If I may ask, was it part of Di Matteo's "tactics" that Barca would hit the post twice in the first leg at the Stamford Bridge, and then hit the post thrice in the second leg? Was it also part of the tactical script that Messi, of all people, and Robben, would both miss penalties that would have sealed our fate? Was it part of tactics that Barca, Liverpool, and Bayern would lose a plethora of chances, including one that perhaps crossed the goal line (in the FA cup final) but was overlooked?

The tactics were indeed woeful, not necessarily because of it's sheer ugliness, but because it was defective and designed to depend on luck more than efficiency. A more effective form of the same tactic was masterfully used by Mourinho's Inter Milan in their treble winning season last two years. Although Barca outplayed Inter, they didn't create many chances - that is the ultimate aim of a containment tactic - to suffocate the superior attacking team and prevent them from creating chances! Not to allow them create uncountable chances and hope that they fail to convert the chances (and penalties)! How on earth can you call that "tactics"? If Messi had scored that penalty and made it 3-1, we would have been forced to attack, thereby exposing our 'yansh' at the rear. . . and then the game might have ended 5-1 or more.

I believe so much in destiny. Chelsea were destined to excel this year, against all odds. It was written in the stars. Simple. There is no logical or rational way of explaining our miraculous triumphs in spite of so many near-death moments, other than to attribute everything to divine intervention - rather than tactics. Which kind tactics be that?? As such, we can't be sure of Di Matteo's abilities until he spends one full season in charge, without the notoriously promiscuous Lady Luck by his side. Let's not make it look like it is his right to get a longer contract; that is the privilege and prerogative of the owner, Abramovich, who has rewarded Di Matteo enough by giving him a bonus of £1m for the UCL win as well as a one year contract. Is that not fair enough? ? ?

1 Like

Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Nobody: 8:57am On May 24, 2012
hehehe... Stil on d mater[quote author=naturalwaves]Nairalanders,wen dis beautiful game called football was invented,it was clearly stated dat;THE AIM OF THE GAME SHALL BE TO PUT THE BALL IN THE OPPONENT'S NET.D rules were stated also.Guess wat? D style dat a team shuld use 2 put d ball in d opponent's net was not stated.No definitns were given 4 beautiful football, attractive football, negative football e.t.c. A team knocking d ball around,taking d play 2 d opposition and playing in a free flowing manner(termed beautiful football by some) is a tactic.U will agree wit me also dat; Soaking up d pressure 4rm an opposing team and waiting patiently 2 catch such opponent unawares is also a tactic. D 2 styles are common even amongst boxers.
Therefore,Chelsea's playing style is a type of football tactic or betterstill football philosophy orchestrated and popularised by Mourinho.D earlier people accept and learn 2 live wit dis tactic,d beta 4 dem and I foresee more teams picking up dis philosophy.
Moreover,I totally disagree wit those saying Chelsea was lucky enroute Champions League triumph.RDM knows ow 2 bring out d best in his players.Knows wen attack is vital(NAPOLI), know wen 2 absorb d pressure (BARCA,BAYERN).Wen 2 go 4 d kill. What a brilliant man he is! Remember,In d 1st leg against BARCA,it was 1 major attack,1 goal. 2nd leg, 2 major attacks,2 goals and against Bayern,1 major opportunity,1 goal.A team dat is capable of dz must be a nearly impeccable one wit it's tactics.If anything needs 2 b called beautiful,it is this beautiful perfection! Football will definately be a bore if every team played like Barcelonia. UP CHELSEA!!! Well said...
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Reference(m): 9:20am On May 24, 2012
pro01:
Na wa oh. I understand people tend to get carried away by the euphoria of victory and success, and then forget the details of how such victories were achieved. If I may ask, was it part of Di Matteo's "tactics" that Barca would hit the post twice in the first leg at the Stamford Bridge, and then hit the post thrice in the second leg? Was it also part of the tactical script that Messi, of all people, and Robben, would both miss penalties that would have sealed our fate? Was it part of tactics that Barca, Liverpool, and Bayern would lose a plethora of chances, including one that perhaps crossed the goal line (in the FA cup final) but was overlooked?

The tactics were indeed woeful, not necessarily because of it's sheer ugliness, but because it was defective and designed to depend on luck more than efficiency. A more effective form of the same tactic was masterfully used by Mourinho's Inter Milan in their treble winning season last two years. Although Barca outplayed Inter, they didn't create many chances - that is the ultimate aim of a containment tactic - to suffocate the superior attacking team and prevent them from creating chances! Not to allow them create uncountable chances and hope that they fail to convert the chances (and penalties)! How on earth can you call that "tactics"? If Messi had scored that penalty and made it 3-1, we would have been forced to attack, thereby exposing our 'yansh' at the rear. . . and then the game might have ended 5-1 or more.

I believe so much in destiny. Chelsea were destined to excel this year, against all odds. It was written in the stars. Simple. There is no logical or rational way of explaining our miraculous triumphs in spite of so many near-death moments, other than to attribute everything to divine intervention - rather than tactics. Which kind tactics be that?? As such, we can't be sure of Di Matteo's abilities until he spends one full season in charge, without the notoriously promiscuous Lady Luck by his side. Let's not make it look like it is his right to get a longer contract; that is the privilege and prerogative of the owner, Abramovich, who has rewarded Di Matteo enough by giving him a bonus of £1m for the UCL win as well as a one year contract. Is that not fair enough? ? ?

No Sir, the end product determines the efficiency and superiority of team tactics in any sport or confrontation for that matter.

The Italians of which RDM is one are well known for this type of play. They beat brazil famously in 82 and France more recently. Why every team must play like Brazil or Barcelona beats me. The beauty of football that athletics doesn't have is diversity.

And for goodness sake with the exception of Mata who else is a ball jugler and speed passer in that team, none. The team is just not like that. The quality which RDM had was playing to the strengths of his assets which AVB failed to do.

Lampard will never be a Messi, Xavi or Fabregas, neither will Mata, Mikel, or the others.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by ochukoccna: 9:28am On May 24, 2012
I don't understand Abramhovich's mumu moves
With all those oldies wey full Chelsea,how Chelsea wan match teams like Bayern and Barca in attractive football? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Even Torres said Chelsea's players were too slow grin grin grin grin grin grin
Give the guy a 3 year contract which includes a yearly review
World class coach my foot seeing he's beginning to sound like 9ja politicians and technocrats under OBJ with the world class everything they were always mouthing
How world class can you get with Mourinho,Scolari,Ancelotti etal?
Which of them won the CL?
1 thing about money is it makes you want to phuck all the beautiful women you grew up fantasizing about only to see say it's just another hole cool cool cool cool
Anyway na Ram money wink wink wink wink wink
Chealsea, the managerial graveyard of football
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Reference(m): 9:38am On May 24, 2012
The team that plays the closest thing to the Barca style in England is Arsenal. Clearly they have not won the UCL and the EPL in ages because they lack the player quality in sufficient numbers to execute this tactic and without a plan B Wenger is often stranded.

RDM had seen that his best players were over thirty so why play tippy tap or attack madly. Is it Drogba that will drive the ball 50 yards or Lampard that will take on 3 defenders. But Drogba doesn't need 3 shots on goal to score. Lampard needs only 1 good pass. That is experience. So what do you do with the rest of your time. Defend of course and wait for mistakes. That is smart. That is tactics. RDM did it five times against Pool, Barca, Napoli and Bayern. How can that be luck.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Metalgoong(m): 9:39am On May 24, 2012
BlueDiva:

Another gutter bred.

The last time i checked, a tout isn't worse than an old hag co-ck sucker like ya. .Based on your comments on this thread, we have seen how refined you are . WTF!!
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by Sagytarius(m): 9:44am On May 24, 2012
Metalgoong:

The last time i checked, a tout isn't worse than an old hag co-ck sucker like ya. .Based on your comments on this thread, we have seen how refined you are . WTF!!

tell am again!
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by onyxo76(m): 9:55am On May 24, 2012
whats the defination of a world class coach? besides where will roman get a world class coach from after sacking all the ones he previously employed?i don't believe in changing a winning team that is players and coaching crew, lets not forget that rdm inherited a team that was already in shambles and won 2 trophies in 3 months. let rdm continue the good work for now.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 10:33am On May 24, 2012
Reference:

No Sir, the end product determines the efficiency and superiority of team tactics in any sport or confrontation for that matter.

The Italians of which RDM is one are well known for this type of play. They beat brazil famously in 82 and France more recently. Why every team must play like Brazil or Barcelona beats me. The beauty of football that athletics doesn't have is diversity.

And for goodness sake with the exception of Mata who else is a ball jugler and speed passer in that team, none. The team is just not like that. The quality which RDM had was playing to the strengths of his assets which AVB failed to do.

Lampard will never be a Messi, Xavi or Fabregas, neither will Mata, Mikel, or the others.
Re: Abramovich To Hand Roberto Di Matteo One-year Chelsea Deal by naturalwaves: 10:40am On May 24, 2012
Your reasoning is a superb one cos in football,it is d results dat counts.Pls tell him again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Premier League Table: Man City End Liverpool’s Unbeaten Run, Close Gap To 4 Poin / Slavia Prague Vs Chelsea: Europa League Quarter Finals (0 -1) On 11th April 2019 / Manchester United Vs West Bromwich Albion (2 - 0) On 7th November 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.