Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,751 members, 7,882,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 09:19 AM

Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? (2046 Views)

My Older Neighbor Saw Me Drive In And Then Got Out Of His Car And Began Staring? / Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? / Help My Neighbor, Her Husband Beats Her Mercilessly And Threatens To Kill Her. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 6:25pm On May 24, 2012
if your neighbor gives birth and didnt inform you but told other neighbors, is it okay to congratulate them?

no preaching please because i believe in an eye for an eye.

my friends are divided on this issue.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by SisiKill1: 6:36pm On May 24, 2012
Haba!! Why is this even a question?? sad

Of course you congratulate them naa. . .Yoruba people say the birth of child cancels all malice (I am paraphrasing here of course)

'Sides, there is nothing in the rule book that says they must tell you. . .babies usually announce themselves. Obviously you musta seen the growing of the belle, so you had to know the baby was coming anytime soon.

Abeg wish them well and carry on with your life oh jare. cheesy cheesy

By the way, what do you mean an eye for an eye? Are you going to go get pregnant and not tell them when the baby comes. . .abi what? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:38pm On May 24, 2012
One problem of living in a face me i face you rooms.

You better go congratulate them before they give you name that is not urs.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 6:41pm On May 24, 2012
well my friend who is involved says he will pretend he isnt aware.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Smilenw(f): 6:43pm On May 24, 2012
Why didn't he tell you ? If the two of you are not in good terms, and they did it on purpose, then I wouldn't ask you to go and congratulate. Would assume they didn't want your wishes/gifts and hence didn't bother to tell you. On the other hand, if everything was okay between the two families till now, I'd give them benefit of doubt and go ahead and congratulate them. Maybe they were too busy to be informing each neighbour in person.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 6:43pm On May 24, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: One problem of living in a face me i face you rooms.

You better go congratulate them before they give you name that is not urs.

funny enough he stays in oniru estate in v/i.

ouuch! i hope he doesnt see this.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Odunnu: 6:44pm On May 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Haba!! Why is this even a question?? sad

Of course you congratulate them naa. . .Yoruba people say the birth of child cancels all malice (I am paraphrasing here of course)

'Sides, there is nothing in the rule book that says they must tell you. . .babies usually announce themselves. Obviously you musta seen the growing of the belle, so you had to know the baby was coming anytime soon.

By the way, what do you mean an eye for an eye? Are you going to go get pregnant and not tell them when the baby comes. . .abi what? cheesy
The next time you make me ROFLMAO you will have to wash my shirt.
@topic: You expected your neigbour to come with wine and inform you? Go and congratulate them jor
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 6:46pm On May 24, 2012
Smilenw: Why didn't he tell you ? If the two of you are not in good terms, and they did it on purpose, then I wouldn't ask you to go and congratulate. Would assume they didn't want your wishes/gifts and hence didn't bother to tell you. On the other hand, if everything was okay between the two families till now, I'd give them benefit of doubt and go ahead and congratulate them. Maybe they were too busy to be informing each neighbour in person.

No be me joh!@
he will be in a better position to answer that.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Sijo01(f): 6:49pm On May 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Haba!! Why is this even a question?? sad

end of discusion!
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 6:49pm On May 24, 2012
Odunnu:
The next time you make me ROFLMAO you will have to wash my shirt.
@topic: You expected your neigbour to come with wine and inform you? Go and congratulate them jor

the "an eye for an eye" was me insinuating since he wasnt told then he should stay calm.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by coogar: 7:05pm On May 24, 2012
acidtalk: if your neighbor gives birth and didnt inform you but told other neighbors, is it okay to congratulate them?

no preaching please because i believe in an eye for an eye.

my friends are divided on this issue.

congratulate? yes
go for their party? no

1 Like

Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 24, 2012
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by moremi2008(m): 7:50pm On May 24, 2012
It might sting a little bit that your neighbor told everybody else but you, but you can't withhold your congratulations for a perceived slight. Be the bigger person! Tell them you heard the good news and wanted to say congratulations! If you don't go congratulate them, you have made yourself permanent enemies (trust me, they and other neighbors that hear about it will never forget). You don't want that kind of reputation in the neighborhood.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by moremi2008(m): 7:55pm On May 24, 2012
chaircover: maybe you weren't in when he went round telling the other neighbors; maybe in the excitement he forgot, maybe he has an axe to grind with you whateva

I would buy a gift and a card and take it there; then they will be the ones feeling guilty assuming they did it deliberately and if it were a genuine mistake then that will give them an opportunity to apologize for the oversight and ya'all can go back to living your neighborly life. Life is way too short for all these petty petty fights.

I am not sure buying a gift in this situation is wise (I am assuming the OP is in Nigeria). Gifts like that end up in the trash! You know how superstitious Nigerians are about gifts from people they don't like! Growing up, one troublesome (but probably well-intentioned) man in our neighborhood went to America and bought I and my siblings Swatch watches. My mum refused to let us even open the box!!! She prayed over the watches and re-gifted them to somebody else!!!! Hahahaha! A bloody waste of perfectly nice watches but that's the Naija way for you! Everyone thinks everybody else is trying to jazz them. grin
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:55pm On May 24, 2012
Some Lagos tenants are funny set of people. It happened to me too, as in adjacent room and the funny thing was that we use to greet fine. I was suprised to here from another neighbour who heard from another neighbour one week later that the woman has given birth. I only asked after her cos i didn't see for some time. Well i did not say anything till about one month later when i saw the woman in a shop outside the compound with the baby that i congratulated her. I believe in respect and treating your fellow human the way you would want them to treat you! They only told a few selected neighbours: so if they don't see me as their neighbour, y should i c them as one?
Your friend should follow his heart.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by coogar: 8:07pm On May 24, 2012
PrettyCindy: Some Lagos tenants are funny set of people. It happened to me too, as in adjacent room and the funny thing was that we use to greet fine. I was suprised to here from another neighbour who heard from another neighbour one week later that the woman has given birth. I only asked after her cos i didn't see for some time. Well i did not say anything till about one month later when i saw the woman in a shop outside the compound with the baby that i congratulated her. I believe in respect and treating your fellow human the way you would want them to treat you! They only told a few selected neighbours: so if they don't see me as their neighbour, y should i c them as one?
Your friend should follow his heart.

spoken like a typical lagosian....

congratulating them is no biggie. they probably forgot to tell the complainer....
on the flip-side, they probably felt he's too close to them to need a formal
announcement. i don't need an invite to go to the parties of some of my close buddies.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by queensmith: 8:17pm On May 24, 2012
What a weird arse question, Are you not happy for them?
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by EfemenaXY: 9:06pm On May 24, 2012
Births & Deaths bring people together irrespective of whatever misunderstandings they might have between them.

Tell your friend to set aside his displeasure with his neighbour and to go wish them well. It's the mature thing to do.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by acidtalk: 9:47pm On May 24, 2012
beautiful contributions i must confess.
might just send him this link.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Shinatu: 1:34pm On May 28, 2012
You mean men also have time for this, 'my neighbour does not greet me, my neighbour did not tell me' thing?
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by Bawss1(m): 4:35pm On May 28, 2012
Some people are rather stuck up.
Re: Should He Congratulate His Neighbor? by tasandra: 7:26pm On May 28, 2012
tell ur frnd to go and greet the nw born baby smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

Guys I'm Really Confused,i Caught My 11 Years Old Cousin With Another Girl / Your Opinion Will Save A Soul, Should He Send Her Away? / New Moms Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.