Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,598 members, 7,979,024 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 06:33 PM

Why I Renamed Unilag To Maulag...gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Renamed Unilag To Maulag...gej (1132 Views)

Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa / Front Page Should Be Renamed Mukina Page! / Why I Renamed UNILAG Moshood Abiola University - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Renamed Unilag To Maulag...gej by Korrection(m): 9:25am On May 30, 2012
Why I Renamed UNILAG Moshood Abiola Varsity — Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday explained that his government renamed the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Moshood Abiola University in commemoration of Democracy Day and in honour of the late Chief Moshood Olawale Kashimawo (MKO) Abiola who paid the ultimate sacrifice in pursuit of justice and peace.

In a broadcast to the nation, the president said: “Destiny and circumstances conspired to place upon his shoulder a historic burden and he rose to the occasion in character and courage.

“He deserved recognition for his martyrdom and public-spiritedness and for being the man of history that he was. We need in our land more men and women who will stand up to defend their belief and whose example will further enrich our democracy.

“After very careful consideration and in honour of Chief M.K.O. Abiola’s accomplishment and heroism, on this Democracy Day, the University of Lagos is renamed by the Federal Government of Nigeria Moshood Abiola University, Lagos.

“The federal government will establish an Institution of Democratic Studies in governance in the university.’’

But no sooner had the government made the announcement than students of the institution in their thousands trooped out to protest against the renaming of their school, insisting that the institution must maintain its old name.

The students, who came out enmasse from their various hostels, blocked the entrance of the campus and stopped all commercial vehicles and motorcycles that attempted to pick up passengers from the campus.

Students of postgraduate studies were not left out of the protest, as they sang and chanted solidarity songs.

One of the students who led the protest said, “President Jonathan did not know what to do again after the removal of subsidy in January and therefore thought the next thing to do was to disturb our peaceful academic environment by changing the name of the institution.”
http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/26067/2012/05/30/why_i_renamed_unilag_moshood_abiola_varsity_jonathan.html

Does this make sense to you guys?

(1) (Reply)

HOW PHCN OPERATE IN OGIJO, OGUN STATE / Cosmetics Over Flood Victims’ Plight / Gov Obi Ingites Reform Meeting Told Audience That He Has Invested $15 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.