Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,997 members, 7,873,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:01 AM

Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas (18745 Views)

Asthmatic Student Of UNIPORT Dies From Police Teargas In Port Harcourt (photos) / Pix's: MAU Babes (formerly UNILAG Babes) Protest Change Of Institution's Name / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 01, 2012
Are these students, or riff-raff? undecided undecided

MAU MAU University of Kenya. shocked grin cheesy
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
What's it with wires and poles dangling over people's heads in Nigeria?
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Reptyle(m): 3:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
Why don't they just go home like they were instructed to What kind of parents would allow their children to keep fighting a pointless cause and risking bullets from trigger happy policemen when they have been ordered to vacate campus?

Methinks there's a more amiable way of challenging the name change without recourse to civil disobedience.

I pray we don't hear stories of stray bullets and broken limbs after this unnecessary drama.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Fesisko(m): 3:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
9-zeros:
are those students? dey look like touts.
exactly what I was thinking.they look like Alaba Area boys.
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Aladinn(m): 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2012
Bontee: Misplaced priority in my honest opinion as i do not see how a name change affects their life or studies.
Don't be too sanctimonious. If you were a student, you would join them. Protest is part of the university life here.
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by yorke1: 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2012
Crazy students lectured my crazy lecturers! That served them right.
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by dondigi(m): 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
They said the tag 'UNILAG' sells like mad. I agree. And few hours after the name changed, students turn to the streets. And I ask myself, is it the brand name that makes the students or vice versa? They should be thinking of making their school rank amongst the top 5 universities in Africa (http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/) rather than enguage in this madness. I pray no one gets hurt.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Aladinn(m): 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
Chanchit: I'm sure the potential 1st class students would be relaxing by now, while the potential 3rd class/pass students would be on the street, smelling tear gas....
It still doesn't matter. You don't rule the world with a first class certificate, you only rule the world with a first class brain, no matter your grade.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
What exactly are they protesting against? . . . Just dont know
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by frankezi: 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2012
this MAU student will not take it easy until they get the school closed down for security reason then they will know. but come to think of it , Jonathan is very less busy up there @ Aso rock. i wonder why A president's one year in office gift to his people will be to change a school's name. Fine Abiola deserved to be remember and that has been ensured,down in south west, if we must rename another institute after him jona should take it somewhere up north, like where the man who declared Abiola,s election void, his home state, or Al mustapha,s home state. since the northerners are virtually responsible for the fall of MKO. jonathan wake up and get busy with more pressing issues, like power, education, roads , employment, health, subsidy etc, what have u even achieved in one year.NA WAH OHH! u no dey shame, d so called breath of fresh air,Nigerians are choking oh
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Chanchit: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2012
Nezan:

And what gave you the idea that 1st class students are not radical?
Thats very simple, 1st class students knws they have a bright future, risk their lifes on silly issue, cos if reports making rounds now is anything to go by, 3 peeps has been reported dead, so anybody with ambition would not risk his/her life by protesting, especially this our nigerian police that release their bullets anyhow.... Maybe u sef just take a brief break from the protest to check wetin dey happen for NL, do quick, so u can go and continue ur protest...

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Esinwaju: 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Aladinn:
It still doesn't matter. You don't rule the world with a first class certificate, you only rule the world with a first class brain, no matter your grade.
Couldn't agree more.
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Mustay(m): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Aladinn:
Don't be too sanctimonious. If you were a student, you would join them. Protest is part of the university life here.

Students when not happy challene government's decisions all over the world but we don't say anything. Here, the university, students & alumni seem to have a problem with it and you're castigating them. Haba!!!

Like I expected the govt to politicise this issue between PDP and ACN, others who have/had no connection with this institution seem to be beefing UNILAG unnecessarily with sentiments instead of being objective. If we claim the 'brand' they're 'fighting' for is not even worth it (world ranking et al), aren't we ashamed such a supposedly 'lowly-ranked' school that is among the 'best' in Nigeria is associated with MKO?

So many 2-face fans.

The issue remains that the president took an undemocratic step on a democrazy day. . . really crazy!!! Things must be done properly and just because we don't see a big deal in an issue it doesn't mean we must condone wrong actions by the government. Shikena
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Chanchit: 3:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
Aladinn:
But anybody with 1st class brain won't be out there to risk his/her 1st class brain on a silly protest... It would only take 9ja police one bullet to knock out the 1st class brain...
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by 3kay945(m): 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2012
yorke1: Crazy students lectured my crazy lecturers! That served them right.
what?
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by maskara01: 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2012
Am sooo happy for the MAULag thing......atleast them shakara go reduce smalll befoe e pick up again...
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by philip0906(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2012
[size=18pt]All y'all questioning y the students r protesting should understand these;
1. The protests is a pointer 2 a larger discontent among Nigerians who would seize any opportunity 2 vent their anger on any perceived enemy.
2. There r more important issues 4 jonathan 2 attend 2, we have no light,bad roads,unemployment,poverty,corruption yet this man has time 2 change d name of a university.
3. the choice of unilag, is contentious.We have eagle square,aso rock villa or even one of the "proposed new universities" to choose 4rm, yet he chose Lagos. MKO and Unilag have no r/ship unlike Adekunle ajasin uni and OAU whose had something 2 do with their respective unis.
4. His actions smirks of politics @ work-gearing up 4 2015.he prolly wants 2 win d hearts of d south-westerners.
5. Its their school. If they don't like it, they have d RIGHT 2 say no.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Mustay(m): 4:00pm On Jun 01, 2012
Chanchit:
But anybody with 1st class brain won't be out there to risk his/her 1st class brain on a silly protest... It would only take 9ja police one bullet to knock out the 1st class brain...

The UNN student that was reported to have hung himself a few days ago was on a first class GPA. So much for stereotyping.

Those who represent student unions are usually required to have a minimum CGPA. Although, some SUG leaders are just like our leaders in our larger polity, being 'in the struggle' doesn't mean you've got 'no work' to do at school or why do some employers ask for the extra-curricular activities or leadership programmes you were engaged in while in school?
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Fhemmmy: 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
^^^

So you mean this is cos of the renaming of the school?
I do agree with you there are better things for the GEJ and his administrations to take care of, but the students needs to be careful too, such is not enuf for them to surrender their life for.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Chanchit: 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2012
Mustay:

The UNN student that was reported to have hung himself a few days ago was on a first class GPA. So much for stereotyping.

Those who represent student unions are usually required to have a minimum CGPA. Although, some SUG leaders are just like our leaders in our larger polity, being 'in the struggle' doesn't mean you've got 'no work' to do at school or why do some employers ask for the extra-curricular activities or leadership programmes you were engaged in while in school?
If the theory of "first class brain" u guys just brought up now is anything to go by, then ur question is good as being answered.... The guy does not have a first class brain..... Any body with a first class brain won't die becos of a gurl....
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Chanchit: 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2012
Mustay:

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by POTUT(m): 4:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
The protests were spontaneous and I believe that it is difficult for any current (or alumnus for that matter) student not to have mixed feelings about this name change.
However, I do think that the energy displayed by this mass of students can be better utilized. With some deft organization and commitment, these students can get together with other students from other schools to prevail on their Representatives in NASS not to amend the law when it comes to them. This will become the beginning of democratic muscle for these young leaders of tomorrow.
Barraging the Presidency is an inferior level of democratic participation in this information age.

BTW, does renaming UNILAG also make it an equal-opportunity university to all Nigerians (without catchment area policy)? Because MKO died for a national cause, so any institution bearing that name should no longer be a regional/localized one.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by miteolu(m): 4:12pm On Jun 01, 2012
9-zeros:

See Chief Executive Touts. You want them to carry books or put celebrity dresses before you know they are students. u no go school that is why. So, u want them to wear uniform like nursery pupils. Solo

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by CY09: 4:14pm On Jun 01, 2012
Chanchit: I'm sure the potential 1st class students would be relaxing by now, while the potential 3rd class/pass students would be on the street, smelling tear gas....
2ru tok, u r xo xo on point!
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Aladinn(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
Chanchit:
Silly protest? I think you're insulting the rights of the students to protest. And mind you, they are youths, so the protest will carry much energy. The french students gave a massive protest, sometimes last year or thereabouts, that shook the govt. They are youths, don't let us forget that.
What about the 1st class brains shot mistakenly by drunken policemen at checkpoints? Many a 1st class brain had gone down that way. Living in Nigeria is risky enough. Those students out there are just the physical expressions of the frustration in the land. Frustration has either killed our 1st class brainers or chased them abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by miteolu(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
9-zeros:
See Chief Executive Touts. You want them to carry books or put celebrity dresses before you know they are students. u no go school that is why. So, u want them to wear uniform like nursery pupils. Solo

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by CY09: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2012
Nezan:

And what gave you the idea that 1st class students are not radical?
so u telling us dat ol dis pple we c in dis r radicals abi? undecided
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by nitrogen(m): 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2012
eeediots, i pity them, maybe they have no idea of how extra judicial killing cases are being treated in ninja. No justice, esp. with the present administration.
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by donclemo(m): 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2012
It is Pathetic thats why Naija is still backward .. people are protesting in other countries against corruption, high inflation rates , high unemployment rates and others ... We dont even have basic amenities and Nobody is protesting its name change they are protesting and dem no even sabi protest self. Jonathan wey change the name dey abuja why una no go Abj aso rock precisely go protest.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by CY09: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2012
PeterKbaba: the president said boko haram (who are the bombers) has infiltrated his government. The question now is WHO IS THE PRESIDENTS GOVERNMENT AND EMPLOYEE ( NO BE PDP, SO WATIN CONCERN BUAHRI ). PDP top members Atiku & Ibb way WARN Jonathan before he became president that since Jonathan DOES NOT WANT PEACE BY Allowing Atiku become president.

Don’t push us to the wall, Violence may be inevitable -Atiku warns

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/zoning-don%E2%80%99t-push-us-to-the-wall-violence-may-be-inevitable-atiku-warns/

SO PLEASE TELL ME WHO BOKO HARAM IS, UNDER WHAT PARTY MEMBERS, AND WHO ARE THE MEMBERS THAT JONATHAN WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN HE SAID BOKO HARAM AS INFILTRATED HIS GOVERNMENThuhhuh?? I'M WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER AND PLS DONT BIT AROUND THE BUSH. ASK BEAF TO EXPLAIN BETTER.
can u pls stick 2 da thread? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2012
do you want fresh air in nigeria

maximum ruler good drunk Johnathan shows the mailed fist again

the hatted dictator
Re: Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas by philip0906(m): 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
miteolu:

Don't mind all these nlanders who think they r intelligent with their senseless posts
Aladinn:
Silly protest? I think you're insulting the rights of the students to protest. And mind you, they are youths, so the protest will carry much energy. The french students gave a massive protest, sometimes last year or thereabouts, that shook the govt. They are youths, don't let us forget that.
What about the 1st class brains shot mistakenly by drunken policemen at checkpoints? Many a 1st class brain had gone down that way. Living in Nigeria is risky enough. Those students out there are just the physical expressions of the frustration in the land. Frustration has either killed our 1st class brainers or chased them abroad.
On point my broda. . . *thumbs up*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose / Gold Winning Technovation World Pitch Girls Arrive Nigeria- Picture/Video / Oau Pre-degree 2011/2012 Entrance Exams Result Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.