Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,397 members, 7,978,262 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 12:48 AM

Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... (5686 Views)

Election Couple Getting Married This Weekend (photos) / Run When A Woman Says: I Need Us To Have This Conversation / Can You Really Tame An Extravagant Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by claremont(m): 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
@OP: I admire your courage and resilience if your story is true. I admire intelligent ladies who know what they want and are ready to go for what they want regardless of what society is telling them to do. You have absolutely nothing to be afraid of; you are vastly intelligent, financially self-sufficient, fiercely independent and goal-oriented.

The ladies who should be afraid are those bunch of expired junks who have nothing to bring to the table; they are jobless, depend on their boyfriends for basic sustenance, already in their late 20's to early 30's with nothing to show for it, pray all day for the right man without asking themselves if they are right as well, and then they spend all day roaming on Nairaland (and other social media sites) seeking for one gullible young man to devour!

I don't have any problems with self-made ladies like yourself choosing to live a life of solitude if that's what makes you happy and gives you inspiration. Intelligent ladies like yourself have my utmost respect. cool

2 Likes

Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
Op...I also studied engineering...An akokite and ur stats make me think I knw u cos my sista has a friend with just ur same story to the letter. Anyway i'll say to you to do whatever makes u happy. Nuffin is by force in life. I'm assuming u earn a great pay, live comfy ur family is well to do and u're just having fun and exploring life. But remember life is not all abt fun and that going against the grain doesn't always mean u're smartest or most unique or free minded person. My only worry is that u don't regret ur choices in the future. For example when you grow to say 40 and are still single, maybe even a Managing director at TOTAL or SHELL and your other married colleagues or friends or cousins or even junior staff invite you for their childrens 10th year birthday or their children's xmas party and u attend and then realize that beside ur career and independence and "fun" u don't have anything then u start to become bitter and regret and become that "EVIL FEMALE BOSS" at work unconsciously. By then getting a partner to rectify the situation wud be difficult. How many 40 year old responsible single men (that are not divorced or widowed) do u see around? Then ur choices wud be limited. There are always career women like u who reach the top as single but even movies usually portray them bitter because more often than not in real life they really are. Family is good. Make no mistake about it. Some of the benefits of what you are today is as a result of family. Even your first class. In summary think deep abt what u want for ur life. In the end it's your life. "Whatever floats ur boat"
PS: Those pple saying she made a grammatical error and beefing her first class are just haters. It's probably a typo and everybody makes them. Stop beefing. A first class in engineering ISN'T EASY TO ACHIEVE.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by safeLove(f): 11:35am On Aug 26, 2012
claremont: @OP: I admire your courage and resilience if your story is true. I admire intelligent ladies who know what they want and are ready to go for what they want regardless of what society is telling them to do. You have absolutely nothing to be afraid of; you are vastly intelligent, financially self-sufficient, fiercely independent and goal-oriented.

The ladies who should be afraid are those bunch of expired junks who have nothing to bring to the table; they are jobless, depend on their boyfriends for basic sustenance, already in their late 20's to early 30's with nothing to show for it, pray all day for the right man without asking themselves if they are right as well, and then they spend all day roaming on Nairaland (and other social media sites) seeking for one gullible young man to devour!

I don't have any problems with self-made ladies like yourself choosing to live a life of solitude if that's what makes you happy and gives you inspiration. Intelligent ladies like yourself have my utmost respect. cool

You said it all @clairemont. And to think that more than half of the posters calling the OP names actually secretly wish they had a quarter of what she has.
I admire the OP too. I'll advice her to follow her heart and not be pressured into marriage. Whoever said marriage brings happiness.
Kudos girl. In fact,I wish we could meet sef..
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by safeLove(f): 11:38am On Aug 26, 2012
First class in Chem Eng..abeg,chop knuckle @OP.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by P406: 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ OP i have a question for you, were you also always on the move as a student?
cos if you were mostly at school and focused on your studies then no wahala you will
find that you will cope and may actually enjoy paid employment and probably also
run your biz @ the side. all the best anyways.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by biggyboy1970: 12:15am On Aug 27, 2012
Take a critical look at urself n decide wat u want,do u want to take d job n settle down or still wanna continue ur ajala syndrome don't allow anybody to lie to u. U re not gettin younger
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by ikekings(m): 10:53am On Aug 27, 2012
@op crap @29 and you are not thinking of marriage? Lord have mercy.....
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by drnoel: 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
I actually have seen this b4. A family friend of ours had the same problem. I would have liked 2 tell u how if all ended with her but its been some time u posted on this thread so u may not see it.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by P406: 8:29am On Aug 30, 2012
drnoel: I actually have seen this b4. A family friend of ours had the same problem. I would have liked 2 tell u how if all ended with her but its been some time u posted on this thread so u may not see it.

Bros, say what u have experienced so that all can learn
and benefit from it. it is not just the OP that can learn from it.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by lukkie(m): 5:32am On Oct 14, 2012
joeydozzy: seriously. are you sure you're 29?. cos you need to access your life. do you know you are getting too old to marry? life ain't about yourself for once. make plans, not just for you but for others, loved ones, even your boyfriend that's if you have one.

Dumb point. How can a 29-year-old woman be too old to marry? Abeg stop threathening people with this pointless marriage crusade. From experience, everybody ends up marrying someone eventually. The important thing is to do it when they really want to, so they'll be prepared for its pitfalls.
And yes, life is really about her alone. Nobody chose to be here, so it's additional burden to force people against their will.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by ikekings(m): 7:22am On Oct 14, 2012
lukkie:

Dumb point. How can a 29-year-old woman be too old to marry?
He never said she's too old... He said she's getting old.... There is a difference...
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 14, 2012
ikekings: He never said she's too old... He said she's getting old.... There is a difference...

you try answer am sef
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by lukkie(m): 5:49pm On Oct 14, 2012
ikekings: He never said she's too old... He said she's getting old.... There is a difference...

Too old & getting tool old, what's the difference? There's nothing like ' too old' or 'too young' when it comes to getting married. Different people appreciate that institution at different times. I seriously hate this habit of harassing people to get married. Let people get married when they like to, so they can marry for the right reasons & enjoy it to the fullest. I thought that's a no-brainer.

@OP
If your story is really true, I know what it feels like. Your mom wants you to get married so people will not 'abuse' her, moreso if she's Yoruba. Yoruba people care a lot about what people will say. Telling her you don't plan to get married is not a good idea - you'll only succeed in getting her panicked. Just tell her that you want to be patient so you can marry the right person at the right time. Tell her that it's normal for different people to want to marry at different times. She shouldn't take it too personal, and she should forget about what people will say - it's your happiness & fulfillment that matter. Setting a deadline for getting married is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. If you marry the wrong person, you'll wish you can turn back the hands of the clock.

2 Likes

Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by whitefairy(f): 10:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
Haba,wetin concern una? Its her bleeping life,sweetie kip globe trotting,to blasting hell wit marriage.wen u don turn to BROS,na dat time u go no how far.
Re: Mum Says I Must Quit My Extravagant Lifestyle And Get Married This Year Or... by Danyyyyyyyyyyy: 12:15am On Jul 20, 2021
Well I can say dat I've lived life, tasted d good part of life but wen it comes 2 commitment, I avoid it like a plague, I feel what's d use to go in2 one, as chances are u'd get ur heart broken I was there twice & I saw what my friendz (both male & female) also went through in d hands of their partners & thought why don't I fly solo & enjoy my life. I graduated in 2005 with a first class in chemical engineering & later got a scholarship to do my masters in oil & gas in d Uk, wen I finished d program, I came back 2d country & secured a job with Total which I later turned down even after writing their tests & interviews I felt it was going 2 cage me as I wanted to explore many things in life, u may call me silly as that wat friends always thot some even felt I didn't deserve my brains and dat Im too pretty & flashy to be so intelligent but I don't really like d idea of being tied down 2 one job I'm a very independent lady, a successful & smart business woman. I stay in a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment & I drive a Bmw X6, I've traveled to four different countries & still counting coz my arss is neva in one place. I love outings & occasions alot, I'm d very adventurous type, I'm outspoken & its difficult for anyone to outsmart me. Now here's where d problem comes in; A job was secured for me by my mum (without my knowledge) in a well known multinational oil & gas company here & my mum is reigning fire & brimstone if I don't accept d job & settle down b4 december & live like a responsible woman. She's not comfortable with d fact dat I'm always on d move up and down, here and there. She has told me that if I don't settle down dis year, I shouldn't call her again. She &my dad had just 2 of us, I'm 29 and my kid brother is 21 he's studying in the US. How do I get myself to accept commitment and marriage undecided ? Should I take d job & live a life I'm not used to? Sounds easy but not for me....

I'm scared of committing too , I just want to have a baby or two babies , a pet and wealth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Domestic Violence In Relationships! / Falling In Love With Someone You'v Not Seen.love Or Lust? / Who Is The Prettiest Among These South Eastern Baes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.