Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,859 members, 7,935,684 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 01:34 PM

Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision (1528 Views)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child / Female Circumcision Still Pratice In Nigeria!!! / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by nalijah07(f): 5:44pm On Nov 21, 2007
Are they still practiced today. If so, in which States is the tradition most prevelant?
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by ifyalways(f): 6:00pm On Nov 21, 2007
yeah they are still being practiced almost everywhere. that does not mean am in support of it sha.
its just a personal thing .if you want you do it to ya kids,you dont want ,no big deal. undecided
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 22, 2007
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided. . .
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by britgirlee(f): 8:36am On Nov 24, 2007
Nalijah

FGM
female genital multilation is a criminal offence in this country.

please check out the web site or google the above.

Although it is a cultural barbaric form of circumcise has any one seen a woman who has had this procedure done.
I certainly have, And these women suffer

They are left basically with nothing but a 'pea sized' hole which has been crudely sutured to such a size.
which makes it difficult for child birth if they are lucky enough not to be in  a third world country they are always section surgically because they are to small to naturally give birth!!! angry
It is not uncommon for the women if in a third world country tear beyond your wildest imagination leaving a gross disfigured vagina which could leave them incontinent unable to walk normally or in some extreme cases they might even die given birth sad

their periods lasts for weeks unlike the norm 3-5 days as the entrance to the vagina is so small it just trickles out at a slow rate often or not causing pelvic inflammatory disease and other gynaecological problems

could you imagine having your labia clitoris removed

I'm  not sure in which states but i know it is common amongst the Somalian culture.

I however DO NOT  support this act and urge individuals to be sensitive when posting replies a lot of women have died as a result of this practice.

Some women who have suffered this practice might be reading this thread. embarassed

I can't comment on tribal marks.

www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/ - 22k
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by Seun(m): 8:59am On Nov 24, 2007
Both are actually very rare, but some tribes still practice them. Cruelty.
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by britgirlee(f): 9:40am On Nov 24, 2007
seun

I beg to differ I can assure you we come across FGM sadly on average 2-3 incidences a month predominately amongst the Somalians. It has grown to such an extend study days and seminars are being held to bring awareness to appropriate individuals caring for these unfortunate women sad
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by Seun(m): 9:43am On Nov 24, 2007
Oops, I meant in Nigeria. It's not common in Nigeria.
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by britgirlee(f): 9:46am On Nov 24, 2007
Just a query is it common up in the north amougst the Hausa tribe?
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by Seun(m): 10:58am On Nov 24, 2007
I think FC is common in some specific tribes in the South-East. I don't think northerners do that; it's not in the Quran.
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by britgirlee(f): 11:05am On Nov 24, 2007
Thankyou, Seun, Im not up with nigerian geography but i will check it out undecided

Ps
I Enjoy the site have met a few intresting people on here both sex's now were all great pen friends , guess in a way brings you closer to Nigeria without getting on the plane wink
Re: Tribal Marks And Female Circumcision by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 25, 2007
Hey Fox, you've been dark for a while . . . undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Condusive And Good For Women? / Yoruba Race's Culture On The Brink Of Extinction – Leaders, Monarchs / Quick Igbo Translation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.