Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,138 members, 7,907,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 12:51 AM

New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 (13179 Views)

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / "Boko Haram Killed 28 Nigerian Soldiers Of 72 Battalion Between 2012 & 2015" / The New Electricity Tariffs From July 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2012
Am planning to convert the Garage Tent to Solar panel, and also build an outdoor balcony with Solar panels too, that will generate needed watts to power primary equipments like the entertainment center and the Computer Studio with inverters for back-up supply. Naija will get too expensive o
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by rotiler: 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2012
BOBKLATTAT
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by flexyonline: 12:51pm On Jun 10, 2012
The key question for me is: how do you know which area falls on R1, R2 or R3? Seems to me that most places in Lagos will be R2. So which is R3?
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 10, 2012
flexyonline: The key question for me is: how do you know which area falls on R1, R2 or R3? Seems to me that most places in Lagos will be R2. So which is R3?
Just go through their website, there are explanatory pdf files there to download and review. The Charges are scary for big residential houses.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by AGBORMAN1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
This is good news indeed. It will now bring more private investors into the power sector.
Before Nigrians were paying close to nothing for Electricity.
I use to go mad when i see ppl leavin their Lights-bulbs on during the day in Nigeria.
Total madness. Now they will think twice. In UK, u dare not leave ur lights on when not in use.
God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jun 10, 2012
AGBOR-MAN:
This is good news indeed. It will now bring more private investors into the power sector.
Before Nigrians were paying close to nothing for Electricity.
I use to go mad when i see ppl leavin their Lights-bulbs on during the day in Nigeria.
Total madness. Now they will think twice. In UK, u dare not leave ur lights on when not in use.
God bless Nigeria.
You have a point here, but will be great if this will be the sacrifice we need to pay for investors to come in and revamp the entire sector. I cant wait !
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by AGBORMAN1(m): 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2012
Zambia is the only country in the world were Electricity is cheaper than Nigeria.
You want something good, u have to pay for it. Lets put massive corruption in Nigeia aside of this.
Quality of life is very good in the West because the government collects almost all the money u earned.
U pay for parking ur car in-front of ur house. U pay pay pay, etc. The amounts goes up every year.
My brother in Agbor pays N500 for electricity monthly. N500 for 2 bottles of Gulder or for what?
How do u expect government to give u electricity. Darkness or Electricity; we all have to pay for it.
Na money make woman Sweet o
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by horlabiyi(m): 1:35pm On Jun 10, 2012
I can't stop cryin for my dear nation NIGERIA. 51yrs nothing to show.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by ziccoit: 1:40pm On Jun 10, 2012
AGBOR-MAN:
Zambia is the only country in the world were Electricity is cheaper than Nigeria.
You want something good, u have to pay for it. Lets put massive corruption in Nigeia aside of this.
Quality of life is very good in the West because the government collects almost all the money u earned.
U pay for parking ur car in-front of ur house. U pay pay pay, etc. The amounts goes up every year.
My brother in Agbor pays N500 for electricity monthly. N500 for 2 bottles of Gulder or for what?
How do u expect government to give u electricity. Darkness or Electricity; we all have to pay for it.

How can you keep corruption out of this?
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by manuch(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2012
@ABGOR-MAN TRUE POINT. people dont want to pay electricity biils and execept constant power .When they go round to cut off the elecricity for non payment of bills , They call an electrician to connect it back or bribe the phcn people for them not to cut it. how can we move forward.then you have the people who connect their electricity without pchn approval causing overload on the transformer.

1 Like

Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Azumy(f): 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2012
kennytidistar: ITT and ADVANCE FREE FRAUD!
imagine!
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by member479760: 1:54pm On Jun 10, 2012
lets continue to wait for the next 100 yias.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Azumy(f): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
manuch: @ABGOR-MAN TRUE POINT. people dont want to pay electricity biils and execept constant power .When they go round to cut off the elecricity for non payment of bills , They call an electrician to connect it back or bribe the phcn people for them not to cut it. how can we move forward.then you have the people who connect their electricity without pchn approval causing overload on the transformer.
nyc 1 thou but y shld d officials also take bribe so 4get al we need is God's divine intrventn.evry facet of d economy is sick of Corruptn!
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by ow11(m): 2:19pm On Jun 10, 2012
flexyonline: The key question for me is: how do you know which area falls on R1, R2 or R3? Seems to me that most places in Lagos will be R2. So which is R3?

Actually, R1 are for homes that regularly consume less than 100kwh per month: 'single room tenants on low income with very little electrical appliance'

R2 are for homes greater than 100kwh but less than 1000kwh on average (some documents have it as 15kvah)per month: 'Most Nigerians fall into this category but NEPA has fraudulently put many of them on R3 for chop I chop purposes'. Many people need to insist on this and show proof that your monthly usage is never more than 1000kwh

R3: for homes greater than 1000kwh a month:e.g 'Some hostels or landlords of blocks of single room apartments with only one meter' or just heavy users.

The tariffs are discriminatory and beneficial to the poor and also encourages (with the high fixed charge for R3) reduction in amount of electricity consumed. The $m question is if this will work as it is intended.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by jaybee(f): 2:24pm On Jun 10, 2012
Afrocatalyst: The truth be said: if electricity tariff is not increased, no private investment in that sector, which also means no improvement. Brace up Nigerians, the journey of a thousand mile begins with the MIND. How about dat?

you are a big, big fool.

have you considered how much of our money (oil and gas revenues, taxes, etc ) are being invested (squandered) by the government over the years? what are investors coming to do when government has used tax payers money to build power generating plants, gas pipelines, power transmission lines, power distribution lines, procure prepaid meters, and lately energy saving bulbs?

who are the investors. what are they investing?

dont be carried away by cheap blackmail from corrupt government and her corrupt officials.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by simo2rule(m): 2:36pm On Jun 10, 2012
Is it that our President hates us? Why should all his "policies, reforms, palliatives, decisions" make life "harder"? Or some sycophants just think for him?
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Donmeca(m): 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2012
rman:

I dont know much about the new tariifs but I think pre-paid meters will be introduced and it basiclly a pay as you use thing. If you dont have power, your money stays intact

Yes ur money stays intact but as soon as u exhaust it, u will pay fixed charge for as long as ur "money stayed". So if it stayed for 10 months, u must pay at least 500*10=#5000. And this is deducted b4 u are give electricity worth whatever balance u have got.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2012
Exactly! I used to be billed 5000/month b4 the introduction of prepaid meters in my locality. My first electricity recharge b4 this new multi year tariff was 1000 naira and was given 112units which i couldn't exhaust even after one month. To my dismay and chagrin, i bought 2000 worth yesterday only to be charged as follows: N66.49 vat; N603.75 fixed charge and N1329.76 worth of 102.4 units. What fixed charge translates to is advanced fee fraud whether u have light or not and the annoying part is that it is cummulative. If u have power outage 4 say 1month , u already owe them about 500 naira + vat.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by pplsroundtable: 3:08pm On Jun 10, 2012
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by oloriooko(m): 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2012

So we have to increase out tarrif cos other countries did so? Are you new in this country? Don't you know that this means more money to steal instead of more power?

How can you say we pay more when the people that made away with so much money meant for the power sector were not dealt with. Now the state wants the people to pay back the stolen monies for what? Is this the fresh air GEJ promised us? We pay for something we do not enjoy? This is slavery and wickedness. I do not subscribe to this at all. Very soon they will cook up stories why despite paying more you get nothing.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by MCCARTHY01(m): 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2012
extortion in d highest order
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by ceejay80s(m): 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2012
NIGERIA is the best country to be in. "EVERYDAY THERES ALWAYS A STORY TO TELL"
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Alxmyr(m): 4:23pm On Jun 10, 2012
jaybee:

you are a big, big fool.

have you considered how much of our money (oil and gas revenues, taxes, etc ) are being invested (squandered) by the government over the years? what are investors coming to do when government has used tax payers money to build power generating plants, gas pipelines, power transmission lines, power distribution lines, procure prepaid meters, and lately energy saving bulbs?

who are the investors. what are they investing?

dont be carried away by cheap blackmail from corrupt government and her corrupt officials.

So in your logical conclusion, investors should not come into power generation because there is corruption.
One of the things I like about the new electricity reform is that it will be more of state based.
Those whose state government have been lazying around without concrete achievement will soon start crying when states like Rivers annex themselves from national grid and generates its electricity.
I pity these 'born to rule' people, that has nothing but bombing to share with other parts of Nigeria.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Miroslavklose: 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2012
ziccoit: I know as at last month KWh was around N7:50k jumping to N13 will be 13-7/7 x100= 85%. So the tariff increase is about 80%.

The fixed payment may stand for VAT which used to be N200-250per month.This means more money to the private pockets.
I salute the government of Mr Fresh air
u are right. i get estimated consumption between 350-400kw monthly. last mnth it was N7.50 = N3000+ VAT = about N3500/month.
now its gonna be N13 X 400= N5200+ N500= N5700 for no power.

naija i hail oooooo
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 10, 2012
I wonder if and when the people will fight back. Clearly Nigeria is not working!
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Rekeb: 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2012
The problem with the exorbitant fixed charges is that there is no motivation at all for NEPA to bring light. they rake in billions no mater what.
I dont mind paying a slightly higher tariff but only for what I consume. No to fixed charges .
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Oluwa4Sure: 5:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
Miroslav klose: u are right. i get estimated consumption between 350-400kw monthly. last mnth it was N7.50 = N3000+ VAT = about N3500/month.
now its gonna be N13 X 400= N5200+ N500= N5700 for no power.

naija i hail oooooo

Can you please tell me how many A/C you use to get that estimate?
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Oluwa4Sure: 5:21pm On Jun 10, 2012
My fellow Nigerians, Let me ask you
as a good businessman if you acquire NEPA/PHCN today
tell me the truth will you be intrested to improve our electricity
'palava' after sighting this MUST PAY charges here and there?

The truth is that, this is just another cheap scam to reap us off our little cash.
How will any reasonable foreign investor be interested to increase power supply in Nigeria
when we must pay some fixed charges for electricity we do not consume?
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by OLISASDEJI(m): 5:35pm On Jun 10, 2012
Guys,dis is a kind of issue dat we needs to protest at but no one will stand for it.we nigerians like to suffer and also smile at it.b4 i knw it electricity tarrif will be 1000naira per kwhr.
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by fm7070: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
berem: thank goodness i dont have metre! i just settle the nepa guys with 500 naira monthly. hmmmm!
which area do you live?
Maybe its rural area like me.

The main issue is that, where is the electricity? This is the 3rd time they're increasing tarrif when they've not improved their service.
These people are so heartless, useless and fraudulent. They won't bring light but will be busy bringing bills and increasing tarrif
Re: New Electricity Tariffs from 2012-2015 by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 10, 2012
mikuz: Even darkness is not free. We still have to pay for blackouts!
Hahaha... funny comment all rather funny country!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Declares Ife Central Constituency Election Inconclusive / Newly Sworn-in Commissioners In Akwa Ibom And Their Portfolios / Osinbajo Arrives Algeria, Received By Algerian Prime Minister (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.