Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,870 members, 7,879,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 01:30 AM

What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? (20343 Views)

2015/2016 JAMB Direct Entry Admission Processes Into Universities Of Your Choice / Solve This Maths And Win #200 Any Network Of Your Choice Credit Card / Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by sofadj(m): 11:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
I was part of a clique , every other person wanted medicine...I didn't want to be left behind.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Feraz(m): 11:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
.....ok...was good at biology back in secondary school and almost everyone including myself thought i was gonna be a Medical Doctor but what changed my view was when i watched a tv programme about cars, and some other devices....also, i was always reading about space and studying about some marine lives so i opted for Engineering (aeronautics or marine) .....along the line, i realised that the two above aren't offered in this country so i had to get real and i chose Mechanical and Chemical Engineering both FUTO but i didn't attain the mark required....wrote jamb again and filled UNIBEN (didn't want to be close to home for the same reasons as dayokanu).....presently studying Mechanical Engineering......
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by omenziate(m): 11:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
Wasnt sure of wat i wanted sef , today it was aeronautic engineering , tomorrow,its rocket science. After about 3 jambs which i failed woefully, had to study to do the OAU predegree, opted for Medicine but missed it by 5 points, was left with Microbiology.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by warrior101: 11:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
idmanzik:
I wanted to study Medicine but JAMB "JAMBED" me two times and i finally ended up studying Statistics.

Hope nor be Ekpoma you study? grin Same thing happened to me. After JAMB JAMBED me 3yrs I ended up studying Micro Biology and two years after service and no job yet I applied for human resource management at NOUN but stopped at 200L when i traveled abroad. I wrote IELTS and passed and I have gotten admission to study medicine full time at USC Queensland, Australia but I am postponing it because the tuition fee is 3much. angry cry
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by sadyeek(m): 11:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
mikron: wanted to study Economics but opt for Fine and applied Arts in Ahmadu Bello univ. (ABU) Zaria. Its a God given talent. Dont want to waste it. My personal choice. Majoring in painting

[size=16pt]wow! Respect man! I really admire you!

[/size]
dayokanu: Mine was funny.

My mom wanted me to study medicine, My Dad wanted me to study Electrical Engineering.

My choice was influenced by the desire to be far from home Lagos or Ibadan.

When i was writing UME in 1995, I wanted to Choose Petrochemical Engineering in UNIPORT and my dad was against it cos its too far away and I told him I would never go to UNILAG or UI where my parents can just walk into my room anytime they wanted.

So a compromise based on distance has to be reached I wanted far(UNIPORT or UNIBEN), My parents wanted nearby(UI or UNILAG) so we chose IFE which was midpoint.

Also choice of course. I hated medicine cos it involves blood and you working at odd hours. Also it was the Effikos and born again that were always studying Medicine and Pharmacy, The cool guys were always in Engineering And I believe even till now that Engineers are the smartest people around. So In Secondary school all the cool guys filled in Engineering and the Born-agains filled in for medicine.

To choose the particular Engineering course, my dad insisted on Electrical and Electronics, I wanted Chemical Engineering, So when my dad was at home I filled Electrical but when he went to work, I changed it to Chemical Engineering and submitted it before he came back from work.

When results came out and he saw it was Chemical I told him I changed it and That was what I wanted. We fought over it and I won at the end.

Graduated as a Chemical Engineer from ife

Yeah, I also wanted to run away from home, which I later on kind of missed home. Yo! What you did with the course change is crazy bro!

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by ayorins(m): 11:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
According to the line am gud at
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by kiyosaki1(m): 11:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
I wanted to study medicine choose U I first choice and Unilorin second choice miss U I by 11 marks beat Unilorin cut off but Unilorin wouldn't take me cos i make them 2nd choice was offer collect change of course form to switch to biochemistry later to switch to medicine in my year two but my person the god was given political. appointment before the admission process started so was condemned to physics collected another JAMB while studying physics my brother like chemical engineering chose it for me and The school FUT Minna my alma Mata
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by begwong: 11:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
Had to change my course after securing an admission to read estate mgt to accountancy(ND).Reason(the fear of d uknown): over 5o students admitted in estate mgt dept.2yrs prior to my adm, less than 10 graduated the yr i secured admission in Fedpoly,Bauchi.
proceeded to UJ (DE) for my Bsc 2yrs later.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 11, 2012
All these "Paper Engineers" AKA Technicians we have in this country that can't even construct toothpick, let alone invent something cheesy.

3 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Alfred200825(m): 11:22pm On Jun 11, 2012
Imagine the name OLODO
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Alfred200825(m): 11:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
Thank God for making me study geophysics
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by dj187: 11:25pm On Jun 11, 2012
It started way back when i was in primary school my best friend whose father works with shell comes to school with a school bus mainly for children whose parents works with shell been naive as i was regarding my age then i cried & told my mom dat i would love to join my friend in their school bus dat she should save her self the stress of driving me to school every morning dat was when she explained to me dat i cant join d bus wit my best friend cos the bus is only meant for those whose parents are engineers and works wit shell, from dat day i vowed that i would like to b an engineer wen i grow up so that i can work wit shell so that my children can join the shell welfare bus also, now years has gone by wit dat challenge in mind i studied engineering, mechanical to b precise applied severally to shell, wrote SITP twice with no success & finally ended up wit Total at the obite gas project River state.

3 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Alfred200825(m): 11:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
dj187: It started way back when i was in primary school my best friend whose father works with shell comes to school with a school bus mainly for children whose parents works with shell been naive as i was regarding my age then i cried & told my mom dat i would love to join my friend in their school bus dat she should save her self the stress of driving me to school every morning dat was when she explained to me dat i cant join d bus wit my best friend cos the bus is only meant for those whose parents are engineers and works wit shell, from dat day i vowed that i would like to b an engineer wen i grow up so that i can work wit shell so that my children can join the shell welfare bus also, now years has gone by wit dat challenge in mind i studied engineering, mechanical to b precise applied severally to shell, wrote SITP twice with no success & finally ended up wit Total at the obite gas project River state.
Take heart bro Dreams not fulfilled.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Yeske2(m): 11:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
casket: Mine was parental influence especially from my mum. She longed to be addressed as Mama doctor and was ready to give what it takes for me to be one. No regret so far sha. Thanks to my mama doctor
You be winch? Same here.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Emmyk(m): 11:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
I'm an inquisitive guy. I love to be the first to break news to anybody. I wanna be informed so I wont be deformed. #UntoMassCommunicationLevel
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by musty1987(m): 11:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
cmon: Location

grin grin grin
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Bvesan(m): 11:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
I chose accounting cuz i realised im gud wiv nos.A big influence in choosing accounting is my dad's friend, who is d GMD of arguably d biggest bank in Nigeria and an accountant.He is my mentor..by d way im studying accounting in unilag 100l n im 17.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by fstranger6: 11:34pm On Jun 11, 2012
dayokanu: Mine was funny.e

My mom wanted me to study medicine, My Dad wanted me to study Electrical Engineering.

Interesting!

My choice was influenced by the desire to be far from home Lagos or Ibadan.

When i was writing UME in 1995, I wanted to Choose Petrochemical Engineering in UNIPORT and my dad was against it cos its too far away and I told him I would never go to UNILAG or UI where my parents can just walk into my room anytime they wanted.

So a compromise based on distance has to be reached I wanted far(UNIPORT or UNIBEN), My parents wanted nearby(UI or UNILAG) so we chose IFE which was midpoint.

Funny how people's stories are so similar.

Also choice of course. I hated medicine cos it involves blood and you working at odd hours. Also it was the Effikos and born again that were always studying Medicine and Pharmacy, The cool guys were always in Engineering And I believe even till now that Engineers are the smartest people around. So In Secondary school all the cool guys filled in Engineering and the Born-agains filled in for medicine.

I have seen both sides and I dont think that is true. .

To choose the particular Engineering course, my dad insisted on Electrical and Electronics, I wanted Chemical Engineering, So when my dad was at home I filled Electrical but when he went to work, I changed it to Chemical Engineerin[/b]g and submitted it before he came back from work.

I wish I was this strong/brave when I was filling out my JAMB form.

When results came out and he [b]saw it was Chemical I told him I changed it and That was what I wanted. We fought over it and I won at the end.

Graduated as a Chemical Engineer from ife

Mine would have killed me.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by AnotherOkija: 11:38pm On Jun 11, 2012
The Niger Delta... Oil baby..

Geological Engineer ... cool
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
Well my parents had been drumming 'medicine' into my ears even before Iknew what medicine meant so I applied for it.
God willing I'll be graduating as a doctor soon and I have no regrets or resentment towards them for choosing for me. wink
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by dayokanu(m): 11:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
fstranger6:

Interesting!

Funny how people's stories are so similar.

I have seen both sides and I dont think that is true. .

I wish I was this strong/brave when I was filling out my JAMB form.

Mine would have killed me.

Well Most of us grew up with middle class parents and they all have similar desires so our stories are usually similar.

You dont think Engineers are usually smarter than Doctors? Cos in naija I see a lot of bookworms just going to Medicine to do "Agberu gbeso" Cram and pour. I had the believe that the less you read and are able to pass the smarter you are.

I would never in my life open those Anatomy 1million page textbooks even if its life and death, But calculations na bread and butter. Get the concept and Shikena.

When the result came out he was overjoyed that I passed well so he just bone every he felt I would change to Elect Elect later. Moreover he complained too, called me different names like omo Alaigboran and its my life anything I make out of it is my own business bla bla bla

The funny thing is that till date I have never worked for one day as a Chemical Engineer since Graduation
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
All the Doctors in the house who keep giving out Anti-biotics like pure water just for common malaria that goes on to destroy the immune system and intestine floras.

A Doctor at one of our hospitals once told me that Garlic contains no anti-biotic and that water melon has no anti-oxidant in it cheesy.

We need quality not quantity.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 11, 2012
^^^^ All?
Seriously?
dayokanu:

You dont think Engineers are usually smarter than Doctors? Cos in naija I see a lot of bookworms just going to Medicine to do "Agberu gbeso" Cram and pour. I had the believe that the less you read and are able to pass the smarter you are.

I would never in my life open those Anatomy 1million page textbooks even if its life and death, But calculations na bread and butter. Get the concept and Shikena.

Doesn't the bolded make calculations easier than reading and cramming?

dayokanu:
The funny thing is that till date I have never worked for one day as a Chemical Engineer since Graduation
Why is that?
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by GboyegaD(m): 11:58pm On Jun 11, 2012
Jarus: Interestingly, I'm an Accountant today. Accounting was the subject I hated most in secondary school and I always ran away from it in university too(electives). I just hated it. I only started ICAN to while away time in my service year, but today, that is the work I'm doing. I know it, but still not my favourite career line.

You had better begin to love it since you are already building a career in it. Anyways, Expy Arogbaasomabale is always proud of you.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by dayokanu(m): 12:01am On Jun 12, 2012
fellis: ^^^^ All?
Seriously?

Doesn't the bolded make calculations easier than reading and cramming?

Why is that?

I think the smartest ppl in life are those who grab concept really quick and make decisions while standing, but reading everyone can read jare and if you read, read cram, cram, read cram read enough it would stick someway somehow even if you are a dullard.

But you have to be sharp to get some mathematical concepts.

Why I never worked as an Engineer? In the financial sector especially , Financial Maths, modelling etc Appreciate People with core Engineering and Science background were more rewarding before the recession of 2007/2008.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by tpia5: 12:02am On Jun 12, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: I am currently studying Zoology in Uniport because I want to be the next President of Nigeria

Hope that answers your question?

good luck with that.

no pun intended.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by tpia5: 12:05am On Jun 12, 2012
dj187: It started way back [b]when i was in primary school my best friend whose father works with shell comes to school with a school bus mainly for children whose parents works with shell been naive as i was regarding my age then i cried & told my mom dat i would love to join my friend in their school bus dat she should save her self the stress of driving me to school every morning [/b]dat was when she explained to me dat i cant join d bus wit my best friend cos the bus is only meant for those whose parents are engineers and works wit shell, from dat day i vowed that i would like to b an engineer wen i grow up so that i can work wit shell so that my children can join the shell welfare bus also, now years has gone by wit dat challenge in mind i studied engineering, mechanical to b precise applied severally to shell, wrote SITP twice with no success & finally ended up wit Total at the obite gas project River state.

eyah.

luckily, when i was growing up, all my friends attended the same schools as i did.

it was a neighborhood thing.

the bolded is so touching cry
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 12, 2012
I actually wanted to study mass communication buh mai dad disagreed wit me saying he wants me to be d first Lawyer in my family and I'm so glad I listened to him.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 12, 2012
dayokanu:

I think the smartest ppl in life are those who grab concept really quick and make decisions while standing, but reading everyone can read jare and if you read, read cram, cram, read cram read enough it would stick someway somehow even if you are a dullard.

But you have to be sharp to get some mathematical concepts.

Similar thing with Engineering.
If you break down the concepts to 'olodo' level of understanding, even dullards will be able to grasp them.
There is this book, 'Engineering Maths' by Stroud that makes mathematics ridiculously easy by breaking down concepts. Dunno if you know the book.

*[size=3pt]Abeg no mind me, I am not sleepy yet that is why I am creating an argument out of this[/size].*

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by ballabriggs: 12:16am On Jun 12, 2012
Development Economics. The desire to contribute to solving development issues in Africa. Also ACCA qualified for the money grin grin grin grin
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by AnotherOkija: 12:21am On Jun 12, 2012
Some of the courses I see here were influenced by;

"Thats what the university offered me due to poor JAMB scores"

dj187: It started way back when i was in primary school my best friend whose father works with shell comes to school with a school bus mainly for children whose parents works with shell been naive as i was regarding my age then i cried & told my mom dat i would love to join my friend in their school bus dat she should save her self the stress of driving me to school every morning dat was when she explained to me dat i cant join d bus wit my best friend cos the bus is only meant for those whose parents are engineers and works wit shell, from dat day i vowed that i would like to b an engineer wen i grow up so that i can work wit shell so that my children can join the shell welfare bus also, now years has gone by wit dat challenge in mind i studied engineering, mechanical to b precise applied severally to shell, wrote SITP twice with no success & finally ended up wit Total at the obite gas project River state.

We both work for the same company... grin

Main Base, Main Building PHC... cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Experience At An Accredited JAMB Center Today In Warri / Anambra School Boys Win Bronze At World Tech Festival- PICTURES / FUT Minna Post-graduate Studies 2013/2014. Anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.