Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,312 members, 7,881,142 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:16 PM

Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey (13129 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria a FAILED STATE??

Yes: 53% (103 votes)
No: 28% (54 votes)
Undecided: 3% (6 votes)
Can't be arsed: 0% (1 vote)
Somewhere in between: 14% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Save Our Souls Governor Adams Aliyu Oshiomole / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Battered Rivers Lawmaker Recounts Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
[s]
Captainajama: who is this uninformed twisted f.o.o.l?
[/s]
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Mandelaguy(m): 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
dedeike: What issues is he even raising? None. His criticism is just baseless and out of point. He was not even properly briefed by those who hired him. He is still advertising his ignorance by insisting that President GEJ did not declare his assets. Meanwhile, even SERAP civil society group has started legal steps to obtain the assets from CCB. it's been confirmed its with CCB. I don't know whether people read News at all? But I'm patiently waiting to see the mugu that will come here to argue that GEJ did not declare his assets
when I told hem I went to CCB an saw a copy,did any of them go their and be refused? Atleast the person can come here and challenge my claims. Lack of knowledge is a big diseas,that why the holy book( bible) said my people perish.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by uzomagic(m): 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2012
shymmex:

Peaceful - but there has never been peace in Nigeria since I became acquainted with the Country, no?

Hardworking - yet nothing works in that country..

Intelligent - yet the leader of the Country and intelligence shouldn't be in the same sentence..

Nigeria is a FAILED STATE!! cool

Intelligence should not be erected on the the faulty foundation of the title of Proffessor. Afterall, if not for 13 years in active public service, our President may as well have earned the title.
Peace has been the general modus operandi of our Country and we have not had to require a bloody revolution a la Rawlings to get our democracy which we have had uninterrupted since 1999 on track. There have been challenges no doubt but we have come out stronger for it. Even the bloody civil war did not take us out of existence. Our present challenges will pass. The true test of a strong Nation is her ability to rise above tough challenges. We've had our fair share of such and prevailed on our own. We surely do not need Ghana and a failed Ghanaian intellectual to keep us on track. We will prevail on our own. WE CAN, WE WILL, WE MUST!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onomeasike: 10:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
@ shymmex dont mind reno omokri(beaf ),the presidential special adviser on New/Social media and his multiple ids.It tells you the quality of shenanigans they waste taxpayers money on.Who would care about the view of Prof.Ayittey if GEJ is a responsible,effective and honest leader? There is an adage that says`when you are dancing foolishly in ur house,your relatives will regard it as funny acts but outsiders watching you do that dance will call you a mad fellow`literaly GEJ and his poor advisers have been dancing the foolish dance,we tolerated it as our cross to carry but an outsider(infact,if you know the age-long historical and cultural ties between Nigerians and Ghanaians,you would never refer a Ghanaian in the mould of other nationals as outsiders),these foolish GEJ DANCE IS MADNESS(typical of unsound mind and low IQ,apologies to El-Rufai).

Reno,you and your principal should ignore the messenger and take the merit in these constructive and objective criticism and focus on the job at hand.For God sake,persuade GEJ to give us electricy,jobs,security and fight corruption.All these announcement of retiring NNPC errandboys as sack smacks of mischief.The people doing the stealing and de-NIGERIANISATION of Nigerians are people like you not Prof.Ayittey.I salute the intellectual approach to evaluating GEJ`s failed transformation the Ghanian brother has brought to the operation wake `GEJ UP FROM SLUMBER`we will maintain that standard until your princial sits up or get out of Aso-rock!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 11:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
everyone on this thread is a fool except for shymmex and the other person that's sane enough to see that the prof. meant well when he said those things he said, who in their right mind won't agree with what this man wrote? instead of criticizing our leaders and pressuring them to meaningful things for the country we defend the thieves and when agents like beef or whatever is name is and so on sees this they report back to their slave masters that Nigerians are happy......bunch of twisted minds suffering from indecision. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Mandelaguy(m): 11:59pm On Jun 27, 2012
tevinsolt: everyone on this thread is a fool except for shymmex and the other person that's sane enough to see that the prof. meant well when he said those things he said, who in their right mind won't agree with what this man wrote? instead of criticizing our leaders and pressuring them to meaningful things for the country we defend the thieves and when agents like beef or whatever is name is and so on sees this they report back to their slave masters that Nigerians are happy......bunch of twisted minds suffering from indecision. undecided
the I.d......ot in your name should be spelt with capital letters,are u a Nigerian or Ghanaian? Allowing fools to twist the affairs of your country. Incase you don't know, they are indirectly calling you a ne'er do well. He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones. Atleast GEJ is better than the confusion they call Ata MIlls.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:01am On Jun 28, 2012
tevinsolt: everyone on this thread is a fool except for shymmex and the other person that's sane enough to see that the prof. meant well when he said those things he said, who in their right mind won't agree with what this man wrote? instead of criticizing our leaders and pressuring them to meaningful things for the country we defend the thieves and when agents like beef or whatever is name is and so on sees this they report back to their slave masters that Nigerians are happy......bunch of twisted minds suffering from indecision. undecided

Thank you, brother. cool
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 12:34am On Jun 28, 2012
Mandelaguy: the I.d......ot in your name should be spelt with capital letters,are u a Nigerian or Ghanaian? Allowing fools to twist the affairs of your country. Incase you don't know, they are indirectly calling you a ne'er do well. He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones. Atleast GEJ is better than the confusion they call Ata MIlls.
yes my country is not an entity i'm proud of, it's a failed state where thieves and other rouges are praised because of the wealth they've acquired. Nigeria as killed the dreams of many to stardom and it's a source of ridicule for those who are outside the country......Nigeria's problem is like the girls, they complain that all guys are bad and that they want the good ones but when the good ones comes along they put them in the friend zone or ignore them which eventually causes them to be broken heart-ed later on. Nigerians are suffering from indecisiveness.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by CyberG: 1:27am On Jun 28, 2012
Mandelaguy: This man is a swallat! Who is battered and broken? He ha opportunity 2 say this during the military mis rule of so man years,he failed! This professor really needs medical attention andrope examination upstairs. Without sounding arrogant, Nigerians are the most intelligent,ingenious,sagacious,hardworking and democratic citizens in Africa. People who cannot be controlled or intimidated. IBB,Abacha and co can tell you this. No man has the monopoly of power in this dynamic nation because we have never allowed it. Do not allow this f.o.o.l to play with us. It's time to shut him up.

New ID made just to duplicate Beaf and his loser team's BS! Check date created! LOL cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by RoadStar: 2:05am On Jun 28, 2012
shymmex:

maybe, if your country lived to its potentials - the honourable Prof. won't have something negative to say about it, no?
You're right but here in the UK, Nigerians are flying compared to other Africans, its amazing.
Its like we are of a different race to other Africans, in all professional fields.

Its easy to tell a Nigerian from other Black People, they are sharp, bold, daring and intelligent.
I wonder what this dude is talking about.

Nigerians are a mistery to Ghanians, they always wonder why we are so successful and rich.
I think envy might be the driving force behind this guys comments like most Ghanians.

To know I even took this dude seriously.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Mandelaguy(m): 2:07am On Jun 28, 2012
tevinsolt:
yes my country is not an entity i'm proud of, it's a failed state where thieves and other rouges are praised because of the wealth they've acquired. Nigeria as killed the dreams of many to stardom and it's a source of ridicule for those who are outside the country......Nigeria's problem is like the girls, they complain that all guys are bad and that they want the good ones but when the good ones comes along they put them in the friend zone or ignore them which eventually causes them to be broken heart-ed later on. Nigerians are suffering from indecisiveness.
that is what your myopic eyes saw, but am sorry to disappoint you, Nigeria will never be a failed state, go to your country and address her backwardness. Like I said, I know your country inside out. All I have to say is shame on you.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Mandelaguy(m): 2:10am On Jun 28, 2012
CyberG:

New ID made just to duplicate Beaf and his loser team's BS! Check date created! LOL cool cool
this shows how petty you are. I have never met beaf, nor dof I owe you any explanation. Like your fellow persona non gratas, I have addressed this issue before, being petty cannot help you....check the next thread.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by RoadStar: 2:28am On Jun 28, 2012
Anyway he's not as good as Soludo or Okonjo, I wonder why we are giving this guy audience.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by uzomagic(m): 2:28am On Jun 28, 2012
CyberG:

Hey muthafucker, check my profile and you'll see that I got on Nairaland before you illegal Ghanaian immigrant. Loyalty to our Fatherland is by no means new. Before me, there were Azikiwe, Awolowo, Balewa, Ahmadu Bello, Enahoro, etc. After me, there'll be my children and grand-children. If the threat to my Country came from your likes, I'll be sleeping now. I'm only worried for my Countrymen who have fallen for your malevolent schemes. You're not one of my Countrymen. If you were, I would have known. Nigerians are known for intelligence, resilience, ingenuity, brilliance and hardwork. Nigerians have broken new grounds in all fields of human endeavour all over the world. You're incapable of this. Ours is to manifest greatness, yours to hate. You're not even good at what you do. Try harder. You may be a good hater when you're 90.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by uzomagic(m): 2:35am On Jun 28, 2012
RoadStar: Anyway he's not as good as Soludo or Okonjo, I wonder why we are giving this guy audience.
If he were as good as the shadow of Soludo or Okonjo-Iweala, he'll not need this puerile publicity stunt to make himself relevant to discourse in the West African sub-region or the world. I have only one answer to this bunch of I.diots= my Nigerian s.hit is smarter than Attah-Mills and the senile Proffessor of nonsense.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 2:36am On Jun 28, 2012
Mandelaguy: that is what your myopic eyes saw, but am sorry to disappoint you, Nigeria will never be a failed state, go to your country and address her backwardness. Like I said, I know your country inside out. All I have to say is shame on you.
are you okay? i'm a damn Nigerian........NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE! angry
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by bombwar(m): 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^It's high time Ghana colonized Nigeria! cool

We need another colonization to wake up from our sleep...
Na ur family they will colonize
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
I suggest we shd send Genevieve to go and give this man bl0w j0b so he will have a rethink.

Do I even blame him? Na our mingless politicians cause am na. Ghana my foot. Spit
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Gbawe: 12:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
One observation I have made, from[b] direct and personal[/b] experience on African soil, is that some Ghanaians, however intelligent, can never be objective when it comes to Nigerian. They are patently fond of revelling in the habit of never giving credit, even if grudgingly, where due.

Ayittey speak as if Nigerians are a shadow of what they used to be but that is dishonesty and crass revisionism because relatively, in real time, and even using his own nation of origin, Nigerians are even more dominant today and a greater example of innovation, vivacity, energy, can-do atititude and talent than we were at any time in the past.

In the past, how many banks did Nigeria have operating in Ghana let alone anyone contemplate the situation today where we now have numerous Nigerians banks in Ghana who, year in year out, trounce their Ghanaian peers to clear 9 out of 11 banking category excellence award ? What made those achievement possible? The "Battered souls and broken spirits" Ayittey talks of?

Ayittey , to me, does nothing but lie to himself - as a lot of Ghanaians do . The energy and enterpreneural spirit he wants to celebrate as dead is still very much alive enough to see Nigerians doing even better than Ghanaians , in Ghana, in a few sectors Ghanaians have surrendered to the lebanese, Chinese, Indians and other foreigners !!!!

Suffice to say Ayittey is not being honest at all with his generalisation that is offensive and not in sync , in the least, with with we can all see on the ground in Africa. No doubt Nigerians are currently very unhappy and divided - and of course Ayittey is welcomed to criticise the leadership of our Nation - but a so-called academic should not be guilty of the sort of dishonest generalisation even a child knows is patently ridiculous given what is on ground that proves Nigerians, relatively, have actually never demonstrated the good quality Ayittey claims to admire us for as resoundingly as we do now and today.

His criticism of Governance is fine , and I have no problem with that, but he should keep it to that and not trespass into the realm of blanket generalisation of a people that is more a figment of his imagination than anything else.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by bombwar(m): 12:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
shymmex:

maybe, if your country lived to its potentials - the honourable Prof. won't have something negative to say about it, no?

I strongly believe that you failed in your family,,,,,,,,,U r a negative Arrow
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
What this Ghanaian professor has said is not new to us. So, i don't understand why your guys are attacking him. is it because he's from Ghana that his assertion is being scrutinized. Would you guys had responded differently had it being a Nigerian that said the same thing? What is wrong with what he has said.

Hell to the yeah, Nigerian have battered souls and broken spirit, else they won't be pushed to the wall and out of it. Nigerian s just sit like dummies while their leaders are molesting them at the slightest chance they get.

Let's always align with the truth irrespective of where it's coming from. Throwing the baby with the bath water is tantamount to not telling ourselves the truth.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jun 28, 2012
bomb-war:

Na ur family they will colonize

My family has been colonized by Nigeria and its failure.. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2012
bomb-war:

I strongly believe that you failed in your family,,,,,,,,,U r a negative Arrow

Typical Nigerian reta/rd who's comfortable with maintaining the status quo...

The Country has failed its upright citizens, and it is on its way to abyss - take it, or leave it... undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2012
afam4eva: What this Ghanaian professor has said is not new to us. So, i don't understand why your guys are attacking him. is it because he's from Ghana that his assertion is being scrutinized. Would you guys had responded differently had it being a Nigerian that said the same thing? What is wrong with what he has said.

Hell to the yeah, Nigerian have battered souls and broken spirit, else they won't be pushed to the wall and out of it. Nigerian s just sit like dummies while their leaders are molesting them at the slightest chance they get.

Let's always align with the truth irrespective of where it's coming from. Throwing the baby with the bath water is tantamount to not telling ourselves the truth.

+100000000000000000000

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by daviesmania(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
I smell Atiku's hand in dis mess.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
This isn't about Ghana vs Nigeria - this is about an objective analysis of Nigeria and Nigerians by a respectable academic...

Nigerians are definitely battered souls and broken spirits..
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by personal59: 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2012
Nigeria Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ a dead country to М̣̣̥̇̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ infact †ђξ democratic ruler are worse than themilitary ruler. All our govt. Officials are ruler aπϑ dictators. This silly country can't even give his graduate a job, ₪☺ security,₪☺ electricity (infact we are been ask to pay in advance for better power) †ђξ money been paid before cannot be justify by any means) ₪☺ good roads, ₪☺ drainage yet we pay tax almost 90% of †ђξ youth has ₪☺ job yet our officials whom we ask to work for us are receiving millions of naira per month. 90% of †ђξ citizen are poor yet †ђξ school fees are very high garri Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ a common man food I think yet some people who are ignorant aπϑ religious fanatic can't  beyond their nose. This country has ₪☺ future because nobody Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ ready to retire aπϑ those who retire will find a way of putting their children S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ where Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ our future pls sentiment apart what makes Nigeria a country I can't point out on one just a single thing I ever benefited from Nigeria most student go to school with †ђξ hope of getting a job after school because ₪☺ job guarantee after school pls look deep aπϑ  beyond your nose
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by eelvismd(m): 12:57pm On Jun 28, 2012
[quote

[b]A top Ghanaian economist, Professor George Ayittey, has stated that decades of misrule and total government dysfunction have combined to transform Nigerians from resilient and dynamic people into vulnerable people.

In the past, according to Prof Ayittey, Nigerians were “bustling with energy, dynamism and entrepreneurship”, but a perpetual leadership crisis had transformed them into “broken spirits and battered souls” trapped in cocoons of fear, mistrust and despair.

“Decades of reckless misrule and total government dysfunction have corroded the fabric of Nigerian character and society.

“When trapped in such a mess or maze, it is difficult to see the way out”, he said.
Prof Ayittey made this known on twitter last night in response to some criticism directed at him by some aggrieved Nigerians.

The US based economist had criticised the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GEJ), describing him as a joke and a mediocre President, following his (GEJ’s) interaction with the Nigerian media last Sunday.

Prof Ayittey had described GEJ’s performance during the interaction as abysmal, and chastised him for not showing remorse despite his inability to resolve the Boko Haram crisis.

Mr Ayittey had also lambasted GEJ for “impatiently” indicating that he would not declare his assets.
He had ended his criticism with a call on Nigerians to rid themselves of GEJ as soon as possible.
But these criticisms did not go down well with some Nigerians, who took to twitter to criticise the Prof and urged him to focus on Ghana’s own problems.

However, In a calm and measured response, Prof Ayittey called on Nigerians to look beyond tribe and religion in analysing socio-policio-economic issues.

He said his criticism of GEJ aimed at helping the Nigeria identify its flaws, and exposing the Nigerian people to new or alternative perspectives.

The Economist underscored the need for Nigerians to be amenable to criticisms and new ideas, adding that outsiders were sometimes in a better position to offer criticism or advice.

Prof Ayittey went on to debunk assertions that he was seeking political office in the country.

“I have no political axe to grind in Nigeria. I cannot even be president of Nigeria. In fact, I am not interested in the presidency of any African country”, he emphasised.

He also conceded that it was inappropriate on his part to criticise GEJ without offering solutions to the problems he identified.

He therefore promised to do an article to be titled Making Nigeria Work Again, which he said would be available soon.

Professor Ayittey is a Ghanaian economist, author, president of the Free Africa Foundation in Washington DC, professor at American University, and an associate scholar at the Foreign Policy Research Institute.

Read the entire tweet posted on June 26, 2012 below:

“To my Nigerian followers. I appreciate all your wonderful comments, including the negative ones, regarding my write-up on GEJ. It will be impossible to respond to all individually; hence, this generic response.

I always distinguish between African leaders/governments and the PEOPLE. Chinua Achebe said it best in his book, The Trouble With Nigeria. There is nothing wrong with the Nigerian character, culture or water. The problem lies purely and squarely with the leadership.

I have always admired Nigerians in the past — resilient people, bustling with energy, dynamism and entrepreneurship. You will still find these admirable traits in some spots such as Onitsha Market. But the Nigerians of today are of a different stock – broken spirits, battered souls and trapped in cocoons of fear, mistrust and despair. Decades of reckless misrule and total government dysfunction have corroded the fabric of Nigerian character and society. When trapped in such a mess or maze, it is difficult to see the way out. When you engage a Nigerian in a conversation, the first thing s/he wants to know is which tribe or religion do you belong to? It never used to be like this.

The Ashanti have a proverb which says, “The one cutting a path through the bush does not see if it is crooked or not. Only those who stand afar can determine this.” What I write about Nigeria comes from this perspective. I am not Yoruba, Ndigbo or Hausa. I have no political axe to grind in Nigeria. I cannot even be president of Nigeria. In fact, I am not interested in the presidency of any African country. I call it the way I see it without fear or favor. The advantage and the service that I provide to the people of Nigeria is that I can say a lot of things which they are afraid to say. That doesn’t mean everything I say about Nigeria is true but at least it exposes the people to new or alternative perspectives.

However, it is not enough to say that President Goodluck Jonathan is a joke without pointing out the way forward, which is what I drilled into my students. Accordingly, I am writing another piece, Making Nigeria Work Again, which I will tweet in a couple of days.”

Professor Ayittey holds a B.Sc. in Economics from the University of Ghana, Legon, an M.A. from the University of Western Ontario in Canada, and a Ph.D. from the University of Manitoba. He has taught at Wayne State College and Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. He held a National Fellowship at the Hoover Institution in 1988-89, and then joined The Heritage Foundation as a Bradley Resident Scholar. He founded The Free Africa Foundation in 1993, to serve as a catalyst for reform in Africa.
In 2008 Dr. Ayittey was listed by Foreign Policy as one of the “Top 100 Public
Intellectuals” who “are shaping the tenor of our time”. He lives in Lorton, Virginia.

http://saharareporters.com/article/nigerians-are-battered-souls-broken-spirits-professor-ayittey][/quote]
[/b]

Check the link below for the prof's analysis of the woes of Africa

http://www.naturetravelsandtours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=60
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
Pls let's stop all these insult on d prof let's face reality, he is ryt Nigeria needs am emergency. Accordin 2 him if u want GEJ out say "HI" if u want him in say "NEE".cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Gbawe: 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
afam4eva: What this Ghanaian professor has said is not new to us. So, i don't understand why your guys are attacking him. is it because he's from Ghana that his assertion is being scrutinized. Would you guys had responded differently had it being a Nigerian that said the same thing? What is wrong with what he has said.

For once let us Nigerians rise above self-hatred, however we have gotten there, and see and say what needs to be seen and said. What, even accounting for the worst form of self-hatred, would lead anyone to support the blatantly incorrect insinuation of AYittey below?

In the past, according to Prof Ayittey, Nigerians were “bustling with energy, dynamism and entrepreneurship”, but a perpetual leadership crisis had transformed them into “broken spirits and battered souls” trapped in cocoons of fear, mistrust and despair.

Ayittey seeks to insinuate we a shadow of what we are but real events actually proves him wrong because we are doing
things across Africa in ways and scale we have never done before confirming an ever greater demonstration of the qualities Ayittey is too dishonestly quick to celebrate as 'dead'.

Like I said earlier, Ayittey is free to criticise the state of Governance but he should refrain from dishonest generalisation which can only have been submitted because Ayittey is personally mischievous, to the extent he feigns ignorance of reality, or simply highly ignorant , as a disconnected diasporan,of what is on ground in Africa and even his own Country. When Ayittey surreptitiously panders to revisionism, the only folks worse than him would be the Nigerians who support his utterances blindly because they are given to viewing their nation and people in a totally negative light always.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Gbawe: 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
double post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Three INEC Staff Died In Benue / 127 PDP Workers Reject Sheriff / Buhari Assured Of 2million Votes From Borno.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.