Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:07 AM

Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey (13124 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria a FAILED STATE??

Yes: 53% (103 votes)
No: 28% (54 votes)
Undecided: 3% (6 votes)
Can't be arsed: 0% (1 vote)
Somewhere in between: 14% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Save Our Souls Governor Adams Aliyu Oshiomole / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Battered Rivers Lawmaker Recounts Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by NAJALYN: 4:49pm On Jun 29, 2012
@milehigh06 I agree with you. However, we dont need a Ghanian to tell us that. God will make a way for us.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onatisi(m): 6:21pm On Jun 29, 2012
wole soyink is a noble laurete award winner and where ever he goes he is highly respected.but as respected as he is i doubt if he will stoop so low to call a sitting president of another country apart from his a lunatic and joke and later call the people of that country broken and shatterd i believe he is too busy for such silly comments no matter how truthful they might be.but from the positive response of ppl to these horrible comments from a ghanian which he cants even call his own president and his own ppl i believe nigerians are broken we no longer have a sense of pride of being a nigerian and we now lie at the lowest ebb of human dignity.maybe the prof was right after all.prof i know u are reading all these comments of ppl but believe nigerians dont forget or forgive national insults.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 6:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
NAJALYN: @milehigh06 I agree with you. However, we dont need a Ghanian to tell us that. God will make a way for us.
aren't Ghananians fellow Africans or what nonsense are you spewing out? and what if he is a Ghananian?...... ur saying we don't need a Ghananian to tell us dat pls get off ur damn high heels.... who are you?
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 6:25pm On Jun 29, 2012
onatisi: wole soyink is a noble laurete award winner and where ever he goes he is highly respected.but as respected as he is i doubt if he will stoop so low to call a sitting president of another country apart from his a lunatic and joke and later call the people of that country broken and shatterd i believe he is too busy for such silly comments no matter how truthful they might be.but from the positive response of ppl to these horrible comments from a ghanian which he cants even call his own president and his own ppl i believe nigerians are broken we no longer have a sense of pride of being a nigerian and we now lie at the lowest ebb of human dignity.maybe the prof was right after all.prof i know u are reading all these comments of ppl but believe nigerians dont forget or forgive national insults.
i think u need a babalawo to wash your head for you......smh
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 29, 2012
dasparrow: What's so funny? You find it funny that most of black Africa is in a critical state? I don't see that as funny at all much less so funny that I should be rolling on the floor laughing my behind off. But then again, I am a concerned African with several loved ones on the continent while you are an american in america where things are 'stable'. Oh well undecided

Pull your skirt down love. smiley

I never said ANY of that stuff you assumed and are implying because of a simple "lmao" or " grin"!!

NEVER! My greatest wish in life is to witness an African continent that is not only stable, but that will house at least ONE (if not two) of the world's super powers! I have preached from A-Z, things I feel Africans should and can do for the better or their nations and the continent at large. I've made posts about how we as black people can rise above our current situations if we would only be open to change and wake up. Some of it was accepted and as you can see from this thread, pessimists have allowed it go through one ear and out the other (and of course hurled a few "anti-jamo" insults).

So never you assume that I find that funny...what I did laugh at was the word choice used in the maps' legends.
"Critical" stuck out to me and it tickled me...that's all brother. No harm intended...ok?!

...gossssh! tongue
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onatisi(m): 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
tevinsolt:

i think u need a babalawo to wash your head for you......smh

i have no answer for you just as the ghanaro has said ur mentality,brain,future and life is shattered so i dnt expect anything constructive from you
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
londoner: Many Nigerians are angry....yes
Many Nigerians are fed up....yes
Many Nigerians have endured......yes

But broken spirits......NO!

The Nigerian spirit is RESILIENT and even STUBBORN......and the evidence is all around you when you visit Nigeria.

People are too busy trying to make a life for themselves anyway they can, despite the harsh conditions that exist.

They don't even have the time to have a broken spirit......

I think he meant interms of faith in their government. smiley

Not one person on this planet can deny the level of resilience exhibited by Nigerians...nobody! You are a very strong set of people and I admire that. However, even the strong lose faith at times. Pulling through is a good thing, but if you don't feel secure in your own home, most definitely it will take a tow on your psyche as well...I see that on here myself. undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
onatisi:

i have no answer for you just as the ghanaro has said ur mentality,brain,future and life is shattered so i dnt expect anything constructive from you
the fact that he said so does not mean anything besides i'm not in Nigeria.....i live in a country with a good academic and economic atmosphere......can you say that about Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onatisi(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2012
tevinsolt:
the fact that he said so does not mean anything besides i'm not in Nigeria.....i live in a country with a good academic and economic atmosphere......can you say that about Nigeria?

i will allow ppl to judge ur mentality ,iq and soundness of mind by ur statements .as for me i think silence is ur best answer and mind u i live in another country too but i knw the impact of ppls perspective about nigerians and this ultimately determines their attitude towards us.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 7:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
onatisi:

i will allow ppl to judge ur mentality ,iq and soundness of mind by ur statements .as for me i think silence is ur best answer and mind u i live in another country too but i knw the impact of ppls perspective about nigerians and this ultimately determines their attitude towards us.
well if you think criticism is an insult to Nigeria.........hmmm ok
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onatisi(m): 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2012
tevinsolt:

well if you think criticism is an insult to Nigeria.........hmmm ok

if he wants to criticise let him criticise president assad of syria who is killing his own ppl.wont that be better?
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 7:34pm On Jun 29, 2012
onatisi:

if he wants to criticise let him criticise president assad of syria who is killing his own ppl.wont that be better?

tell me is Syria anywhere close to Africa?.......maybe you need to do some research on the guy before u comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnepHUYFqgg
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by onatisi(m): 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2012
tevinsolt:

tell me is Syria anywhere close to Africa?.......maybe you need to do some research on the guy before u comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnepHUYFqgg

dude u dont need to remind me where syria is and by the way why are u guys so much facinated about this guy like he is some sort special person .we have better and more renowned professors more than this guy and they dont go around making political statements about other countries.i never knew in my life that ppl could be so proud of their country with passion until i got to ghana.but the truth is their own corruption is now at its highest yet they will never alloow a bloody nigerian as we called by them to ridicule their president.i have criticised them before on corruption and i know the answer they gave me.this guy has no right except maybe he has another motive.
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by tevinsolt: 9:13pm On Jun 29, 2012
onatisi:

dude u dont need to remind me where syria is and by the way why are u guys so much facinated about this guy like he is some sort special person .we have better and more renowned professors more than this guy and they dont go around making political statements about other countries.i never knew in my life that ppl could be so proud of their country with passion until i got to ghana.but the truth is their own corruption is now at its highest yet they will never alloow a bloody nigerian as we called by them to ridicule their president.i have criticised them before on corruption and i know the answer they gave me.this guy has no right except maybe he has another motive.

just cuz Ghananians wants to live in denial means you should do the same undecided.......what the guy said is the truth, we can sit here and talk and not do nothing about Nigeria or we can simply take initiative and strive to be best.......the truth is always bitter
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by londoner: 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

I think he meant interms of faith in their government. smiley

Not one person on this planet can deny the level of resilience exhibited by Nigerians...nobody! You are a very strong set of people and I admire that. However, even the strong lose faith at times. Pulling through is a good thing, but if you don't feel secure in your own home, most definitely it will take a tow on your psyche as well...I see that on here myself. undecided

@Msdarkskin....if he was talking about the eroded faith in the government he would have said that, and we all know this is true.

What he said is that Nigerians are broken spirits.The statement was a commentary about the people and not the government.

Now the very definition of a broken spirit is the opposite of a resilient or strong spirit is it not?

He has made a true observation, but has used it to make an incorrect conclusion about the Nigerian.

He says In the past, according to Prof Ayittey, Nigerians were “bustling with energy, dynamism and entrepreneurship”

I would like to know if he has actually visited Nigeria recently.......the spirit of the Nigerian he reminisces about, is still there evidently.....if he were to only visit.

We have NEVER stopped being what he described us as in the past......
Re: Nigerians Are Battered Souls & Broken Spirits - Professor Ayittey by sultaan(m): 1:26pm On Jun 30, 2012
Its okay for a professor, diplomat, study group from a western country to say these facts, but a professor from a country we have looked down on as below up, now touted by the west as above us saying these same things has really unsettle a lot of people.

The online GEJ trolls have come out to do damage control, but making people see the truth and forget the fact is not easy.
If you lock a lot of hopeless, stressed people together in a room they will attack each other not thinking of who locked them in, but if you give them the key, they'll open the door come out and stop fighting.I can't prove this but we've all been in similar situations.

How do you think a man with no legs will feel if he his pitied by a lame man?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Look beyond APC for solutions to economy, Senate tells Buhari / Governor Ganduje Denies 5Million Dollars Bribe Allegations / Atiku: Wrong Computation Of Election Results In 11 States Caused My Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.