Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:44 AM

Is Police Still Our Friend? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Police Still Our Friend? (791 Views)

Police ‘still Awaiting Directive’ To Arrest Saraki / Buhari’s Visit: Is The US Our Friend Or Foe? -by Hugo Odiogor / Police Still Mounting Check-points In Imo State. How About Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Police Still Our Friend? by Truequest(m): 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2007
Police reforms; What manner of reform does Nigerian police need? I recall with nostalgia, what I was taught in Social studies class as a primary 3 kid. My teacher told me that POLICE IS MY FRIEND, he also said that when I cannot find my way I should approach a policeman and ask for direction. I was told to look for an available police station for shelter if I happen to be stranded. I was made to believe that no crime happens whenever a police officer is around. I pity you if you follow that today.

I also remember the police inspector that use to visit my dad in the 80's. He is so respected. With his khaki trouser and his long staff, he commands the respect of all. My dad also share in the honour as those around see him as close to 'god'. Woe betide you today, if people see you with policemen often.

I should tell you, I practised what my teacher taught me and found them so. I go to them for almost any thing as a child, when I want to cross roads I go to them later as an adventurous teteenager went to them to ask for directions, on my way to the north. In the early 90's here I remember revealing to a police man how much cash I had on me in a strange place. Today, as I wonder what has become of this profession, some ideas came to my mind.

To reform the police, what do we need do? It is not enough to dish out instructions, it has to start with how much a policeman is paid. I know they annouced an increase recently but that is not what I mean or how much is 15% of 12k + 12k. It will still be one and the same. The police job must be made attractive to all. Or why is it that youths who never thought of being a Nigerian Police officers, but, jump at the slightest oppuopportunityjoin the Scotland yard. Why do we all look for mobile, ChevChevron Shell jobs, Niger-Delta crisis not withstanding. If the best of Nigerian youths can be made to desire the police job by overhauling their entire package, that will be the beginning of the reform. Let the least paid officer take home be 60k, so that, they can plan with their salary, put a good insurance package in place, for injury and death.

Let professional with good track record be appointed, to head the force, who will in turn set up some monitors, to screesecretlysee the action of the officers on the field. Let's see if the bad eggs will not be easily fished out.

Naija O ni baje
Re: Is Police Still Our Friend? by Emma4u2c(m): 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmm! that sounds good I think

(1) (Reply)

Policemen Who Help Robbers To Commit Crimes / Nigerians Dying In Foriegn Hospitals: Conspiracy Or Not? / Nigeria Experiences Crime Boom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.