Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,042 members, 7,883,604 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 01:23 PM

Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? (9138 Views)

Boiled Corn Or Roasted Corn? / Your Favorite Road Side Meal : Boli, Boiled/Roasted Corn Or Roasted Yam? / Roasted Corn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by firestar(f): 9:34pm On Jun 29, 2012
shocked
Mac! You did't!

I. Lurrrrrr it.
Even if I have cough and I sight it....
O pari niyen.

Roasted o, boiled o, mixed as Adalu, blended into pap, cooled into eko...
Lemme at it!
Nothing like it when done in Naija. wink
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Rhymez(m): 9:35pm On Jun 29, 2012
I buy corn everyday.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by shadrach77: 9:36pm On Jun 29, 2012
It causes cough and flu wink
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 9:52pm On Jun 29, 2012
shadrach77: It causes cough and flu wink

I agree, by the way, the Smiley/Posts ratio of this thread is quite high. It seems people really love this stuff. Oh well, enjoy it folks- it is definitely not for me.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Gidikid(m): 10:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
Mtchew!
Talk beta thing abeg.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by clicky90: 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
maclatunji: Corn or Maize is in season and as I walk the streets of Lagos, I see people eagerly queuing-up to buy roasted corn from roadside sellers. Whenever I see this, I cannot help but wonder: "what is wrong with these people?". Here are my reasons-

1. The corn is actually very hard, it feels like chewing gravel.

2. It is not tasty at all- close to being bitter.

3. It takes quite some energy to chew the corn and you are likely to have your teeth aching you after chewing on a cob of roasted corn.

4. It is not exactly economical, we have sausage rolls and potato chips going for N50 with just about the same "filling-power" as a N50 corn cob.

Going by these disadvantages, why do people still go for this as a snack/meal and with considerable eagerness too.
Because its lyk mouth organ...u knw,4 d luv of music.
Mmmmttttttcccchhhhhhhheeeeewwwwwwwww

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Biggyd2: 10:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
Fresh and soft mouth organ? Na dat be the koko jare. Cooked or roasted, I dey kampe!
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Chanchit: 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2012
Fpor the first time @least that i've seen on NL, no insult on a particular topic, my intention was to come and insult the OP, buh i can see that everybody is acting sane, so let me keep the flag flying.... By the way I don't like corn .....
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by MissyB3(f): 11:08pm On Jun 29, 2012
Chanchit: Fpor the first time @least that i've seen on NL, no insult on a particular topic, my intention was to come and insult the OP, buh i can see that everybody is acting sane, so let me keep the flag flying.... By the way I don't like corn .....
This is the only section one of the few sections insolent remarks don't last more than 5 mins on NL. We are sane people here. cheesy cool
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by MacLovington(m): 2:45am On Jun 30, 2012
Fresh corn is really good. Tasty, has vitamins, has carbs and lots of fibre.

I prefer boiled/microwaved ones. In fact we're "corn-ivorous" in the family, even the diaspora kids.

I used to eat it back then with the African pear (not avocado), as coco-nut makes me cough sometimes.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by aieromon(m): 5:01am On Jun 30, 2012
Bobs,whenever its corn season, I get my cough medicine and Ventolin tablets ready.

I don't joke with roasted corn combined with coconut or pear.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Lexusgs430: 5:27am On Jun 30, 2012
Uchlukez - You no try @ all, this picture is seriously making my mouth water for Mama Janets roasted corn & coconut!!! Or might be tempted to put a dallop of butter (its usually very tasty on the boiled version).
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 7:33am On Jun 30, 2012
Missy_B:
This is the only section one of the few sections insolent remarks don't last more than 5 mins on NL. We are sane people here. cheesy cool

Thumbs-up to you then.

I get the feeling some people think I look down on people that love roasted corn- nothing could be farther from the truth. I just see no reason to be crunching on hard corn which is black on the top after getting burnt and isn't tasty on my tongue. I love American Sweet Corn, that one put in fried rice as well as beans and corn that we call Adalu. Those are the corn meals I think I can safely consume without getting a nasty cough.

Are there other corn recipes I can try out?
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Santi222(m): 7:52am On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Corn reminds them of something....
U too dey claim sef! Na wa for u oh! Who are "them" ? Or are u of a different specie? By d way? Wetin dey remind u ur own sef? I dey chop corn as i ask u. grin
Billyonaire: Corn reminds them of something....
U too dey claim sef! Na wa for u oh! Who are "them" ? Or are u of a different specie? By d way? Wetin dey remind u ur own sef? I dey chop corn as i ask u.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Santi222(m): 7:57am On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Both boiled and roasted corn give me cough, same thing with carrots, coconuts and garden eggs. If not for the cough wahala, I really like the three.
Oh Boy U really get wahala no be small... Even carrot sef dey give u cough. Imagine fa. A tuber! Either you're some sort of health nut or u had a very ajebo childhood! What of potatos? Yams? Cassava and onions?
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Ninilowo(m): 9:24am On Jun 30, 2012
we dey call am moth organ for school. one cob and u are done for the day whether fresh or a week after harvest. nothing do us.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by ijigbamigb(m): 10:14am On Jun 30, 2012
On tuesday, My boss (a Professor) and I spent 45 minutes on the road searching for roasted corn(which I despise bcus of cough) for him and his household. That thing can be addictive.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 10:43am On Jun 30, 2012
Santi222:
Oh Boy U really get wahala no be small... Even carrot sef dey give u cough. Imagine fa. A tuber! Either you're some sort of health nut or u had a very ajebo childhood! What of potatos? Yams? Cassava and onions?

Yeah, some of us are not normal. Let me freak-you-out more, I don't drink milk, it makes me puke. I have a very interesting nasal cavity and alimentary canal. You wouldn't want to know the details.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Coldfaya(m): 10:44am On Jun 30, 2012
went all d way from area 11 to apo yesterday to get a fresh roasted corn. Chei, i no dey take eye see fresh roasted corn fa, not withstandin d particles it leaves on d teeth
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by lailai2(m): 11:00am On Jun 30, 2012
Damn, i miss corn mehn!

dont know how i'm surviving smiley
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Megabyts(m): 11:05am On Jun 30, 2012
Some people love raw corn too!

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by ifyalways(f): 12:08pm On Jun 30, 2012
I love roasted corn.Accompained with Ube makes it even better.I have my own coal pot and we roast in my garden once in while.
For the hard dry corn,soak in salty water for a day before roasting and spot the difference.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by jmoore(m): 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

you are lacking calcium.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 4:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
jmoore:

you are lacking calcium.

Are you suggesting that roasted corn isn't hard? My bones are strong enough, thank you.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2012
have u tasted the soft one? It is d sweetest snack u can get at that taste. And it is also nuritious.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tpia5: 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2012
Santi222:

i was about to ask the same.

didnt know people had corn allergies. i hope i dont have those? Because sometimes you dont notice.

i know of other allergies such as milk, etc.

but garden egg?

maclatunji is it the nigerian type or the purple one.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by firestar(f): 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2012
How 'bout this recipe then:
Its prepared the same way you would with moinmoin. The only difference is it with corn kernels.
Can be eaten with vegetable soup. (Efo riro) Its very nice.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by dammysmall1: 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
[quote author=maclatunji]Corn or Maize is in season and as I walk the streets of Lagos, I see people eagerly queuing-up to buy roasted corn from roadside sellers. Whenever I see this, I cannot help but wonder: "what is wrong with these people?". Here are my reasons-

3. It takes quite some energy to chew the corn and you are likely to have your teeth aching you after chewing on a cob of roasted corn.

4. It is not exactly economical, we have sausage rolls and potato chips going for N50 with just about the same "filling-power" as a N50 corn cob.

When u eat dis corn u said when it's rainy omo men u go enjoy am most especially eating it with corn.... U go enjoy am
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by gulfer: 6:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
grin ;DI am currently attending a CORN-ference. ;DI am currently attending a CORN-ference.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Lillyeean(f): 7:05pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji: Corn or Maize is in season and as I walk the streets of Lagos, I see people eagerly queuing-up to buy roasted corn from roadside sellers. Whenever I see this, I cannot help but wonder: "what is wrong with these people?". Here are my reasons-

Going by these disadvantages, why do people still go for this as a snack/meal and with considerable eagerness too.

shocked are u kidding me...its like d best snack ever.... U shld get a taste bud and teeth transplant infact a complete
mouth makeover... Just kidding dont take it personal buh really trying taking the freshly hot roasted one with a sachet of very I mean very chilled water and come back 2 gv me d testimony.... * mouth watering drops phone and goes in search of 50 bucks*.... Brb tongue
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tpia5: 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
buh really trying taking the freshly hot roasted one with a sachet of very I mean very chilled water

no talk am again abeg.

you're not helping some of us who arent in nigeria.

or you can say glass of water, not sachet.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by waters2012: 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2012
Moderators, Una try o. SO this is nigeria's biggest problem now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Need Pure Natural Original Honey....contact Us Now ✔✔ / Nice Shawarma Joints / Quick Easy Recipe On How To Make Sweet Donuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.