Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,540 members, 7,951,253 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 01:14 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1840788 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ozonna(m): 9:10pm On Dec 24, 2012
I believe we should enforce a building code, preserve our land for environmental and ecological reasons. As good as Sullivan Chime is, he doesnt want to build a park. A lush green grass + trees well maintained park for relaxation.

If Enugu is expanding as being said here, i think the Govt should come up with a PPP kind of deal to build residential high rise buildings for both middle and high income earners. Govt should also stop indiscriminate construction of "small"houses. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think we need these kinds of high rise residential and office buildings not just in Enugu but in Igboland because of our land problem

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 11:26pm On Dec 24, 2012
Ozonna: I believe we should enforce a building code, preserve our land for environmental and ecological reasons. As good as Sullivan Chime is, he doesnt want to build a park. A lush green grass + trees well maintained park for relaxation.

If Enugu is expanding as being said here, i think the Govt should come up with a PPP kind of deal to build residential high rise buildings for both middle and high income earners. Govt should also stop indiscriminate construction of "small"houses. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think we need these kinds of high rise residential and office buildings not just in Enugu but in Igboland because of our land problem

I agree with everything you said, except there's no land problem, yet, except in a few places. The problem we have is that Nigerians believe that development is getting rid of every bush and paving over every forest which is why the Polo park mall has no park, even though this mall could have been built anywhere else.

I think there's a need to worry about the environment since there's no kind of protection or conservation of it in Nigeria. The highrises is definitely a good idea, although if this is not done properly it may turn into a ghetto like Hillbrow in Johannesberg.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 12:19am On Dec 25, 2012
ezeagu:

I agree with everything you said, except there's no land problem, yet, except in a few places. The problem we have is that Nigerians believe that development is getting rid of every bush and paving over every forest which is why the Polo park mall has no park, even though this mall could have been built anywhere else.

I think there's a need to worry about the environment since there's no kind of protection or conservation of it in Nigeria. The highrises is definitely a good idea, although if this is not done properly it may turn into a ghetto like Hillbrow in Johannesberg.

You are exactly correct 100%. Our people believe development is clearing every vegetation and paving concrete over it. I once planted some flowers around my husband's home/ compound and people said i was bringing "bush" closer to home. They eventually convinced my husband and paved the ground with concrete instead of the beautiful flower garden.

In 2011, i was in Nairobi and my job also sent me to Kigali,Rwanda this year. I was amazed how they used flowers and trees to adorn their streets and highways! Inspite of being infrastructurally behind Lagos, Nigeria, those cities exude an ambience of fresh air and well beign, unlike in Nigeria.Kigali particularly reminded me of Enugu, but the difference was the many flowers,trees and green grass everywhere. The difference between our concept of beautiful city without flowers was clearly evident when i was in East Africa.Our city planners must begin to incoporate the adequate use of flowers and trees to beautify our cities. Enugu and Abuja are perhaps the only Nigerian cities where this new concept can begin to take hold.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:33am On Dec 25, 2012
Chima_Adeoye:

You are exactly correct 100%. Our people believe development is clearing every vegetation and paving concrete over it. I planted some flowers around my husband's home and people said i was bringing bush closer to home. they eventually paved the ground instead of the beautiful flower garden.

In 2011, i was in Nairobi and my job also sent me to Kigali,Rwanda this year. I was amazed how they used flowers and trees to adorn their streets and highways! Inspite of being infrastructurally behind Lagos, Nigeria, those cities exude an ambience of fresh air and well beign, unlike in Nigeria. The difference being the adequate use of flowers and trees to beautify those cities.

^^^Well i don't know about other governors, but our lot in the south east (especially Orji and Obi) don't have time for all that flower, grass and tree planting 'nonsense'; just check out major cities like Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka, and Aba.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:45am On Dec 25, 2012
ezeagu:

That may be why he demolished all those old government buildings and building a single multi-storyed secretariat now.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:48am On Dec 25, 2012
spyder880:

That may be why he demolished all those old government buildings and building a single multi-storyed secretariat now.
Nwanne, how far...afu bem gi na my forum grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:50am On Dec 25, 2012
Ozonna: I believe we should enforce a building code, preserve our land for environmental and ecological reasons. As good as Sullivan Chime is, he doesnt want to build a park. A lush green grass + trees well maintained park for relaxation.

Emmm, but......... this is in Enugu?

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:51am On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Nwanne, how far...afu bem gi na my forum grin

Nwanne, gbagharam, olu egbugo m na afo a grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:52am On Dec 25, 2012
spyder880:

Emmm, but......... this is in Enugu?
I just hope that when development reached that place they won't cut all the trees.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:52am On Dec 25, 2012
spyder880:

Nwanne, gbagharam, olu egbugo m na afo a grin
Nsogbu adighi...
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 12:53am On Dec 25, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Well i don't know about other governors, but our lot in the south east (especially Orji and Obi) don't have time for all that flower, grass and tree planting 'nonsense'; just check out major cities like Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka, and Aba.

To begin with, the median of all our intra-city roads can be planted with the aesthetic palm or pine trees.

Roundabouts and sculptures beautified with colorful cherry flowers that can be cut into a definite shape. That would almost instantaneously change the scenery for the better.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 1:11am On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I just hope that when development reached that place they won't cut all the trees.

This is the center of Independence layout bro, already very developed. In fact, this greenery shares boundaries with the government house, Okpara square and Villa de toscana.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 6:32pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
You are from Amechi Awkunanaw and you don't know where those trees sandwiched between Federal Court of Appeal and Okpara Square Enugu is located? That spot is about 10km from 'Eke Otuu', which i am sure isn't far from your compound. Seems you didn't school in Enugu? Boy, you should know your home state better than Lagos. I hope you know how to enjoy 'Okpa Awkunanaw'?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 6:36pm On Dec 25, 2012
Nightshift: You are from Amechi Awkunanaw and you don't know where those trees sandwiched between Federal Court of Appeal and Okpara Square Enugu is located? That spot is about 10km from 'Eke Otuu', which i am sure isn't far from your compound. Seems you didn't school in Enugu? Boy, you should know your home state better than Lagos. I hope you know how to enjoy 'Okpa Awkunanaw'?
I really don't know Enugu like that...From Eke otuu, will you head towards union or enter the express whn going there.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 6:52pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I really don't know Enugu like that...From Eke otuu, will you head towards union or enter the express whn going there.
The best route is through the PH-Enugu expressway; if you drive on the express towards Abakaliki express, exist Maryland bypass, connect Independence layout through the street where Ekweremadu hotel is located. Between Topland Hotel juction and ESBS Tv ask anybody you see how to get to Okpara Square. It's about 1.8 to 2km from that Junction. Alternative route : exist the new Artisan market on the express, connect the fly-over bridge, take your left after 150m from the bridge. In 3 minutes you should be at Okpara Square. Kapito?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2012
ESWAMA!!
ESWAMA!!
ESWAMA!!
I have never seen it this bad before.
Who is in charge of ESWAMA. The person should be fired ASAP!
He has completely neglected everything.
Waste has accumulated in ALL the major streets of Enugu.
The waste from the road block that was done on 21st dec is still littered all over Okpara square.
Old park, presidential road etc are eyesores!
Pls does anyone know how to contact ESWAMA!
Why dont they work on weekends?
This is very disturbing.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 11:41pm On Dec 26, 2012
Tmr i'll go out with my camera and get some pics!
This is so annoying.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:52pm On Dec 26, 2012
eaglechild: ESWAMA!!
ESWAMA!!
ESWAMA!!
I have never seen it this bad before.
Who is in charge of ESWAMA. The person should be fired ASAP!
He has completely neglected everything.
Waste has accumulated in ALL the major streets of Enugu.
The waste from the road block that was done on 21st dec is still littered all over Okpara square.
Old park, presidential road etc are eyesores!
Pls does anyone know how to contact ESWAMA!
Why dont they work on weekends?
This is very disturbing.

^^^If i talk now, some idi/ot will say i should keep quiet; i'm sure all this slacking by ESWAMA can be traced partly to the absence of the Governor (they're busy sharing money meant for sanitation works, adding ghost names to the payroll, and awarding phantom contracts).....when the cat is away, the mice will play.

It's very annoying as Enugu is the only city in the south east that i'm happy with (a bit!).
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
It's really annoying. The best is to privatise the agency.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:22am On Dec 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^If i talk now, some idi/ot will say i should keep quiet; i'm sure all this slacking by ESWAMA can be traced partly to the absence of the Governor (they're busy sharing money meant for sanitation works, adding ghost names to the payroll, and awarding phantom contracts).....when the cat is away, the mice will play.

It's very annoying as Enugu is the only city in the south east that i'm happy with (a bit!).
I'm beginning to accept that the gov's absence has a lot to do with it.
But, it baffles me to know that the heads of the concerned parastatals drive thru these same streets and dont seem to give a damn!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:31am On Dec 27, 2012
centje: It's really annoying. The best is to privatise the agency.
What makes it unbearable is the exhorbitant sanitation rates one has to cough up for nothing!!
For no service rendered whatsoever.
My folks keep complainig about this when i visit them. They live at Independence Layout and are constantly exploited by ESWAMA.
They once got a court injunction for not cleaning their spotlessly clean gutter.
They had no choice but to pay the ghost fine.
One can imagine how they fill when they drive out to see littered streets!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 10:51am On Dec 27, 2012
Just coming from ESWAMA office now.
Met the secretary to the director(was not on sit) and laid a complaint on the pile of litter scattered infront of the house of assembly and Okpara square.
She was very understanding and explained to me that the director was new.
There also seemed to be some issues with the payment of the ground crew members.
She put a call thru to the director immediately and conveyed the complaint.
Will still return and put it in writing.
Pls anyone who can should also do the same.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
eaglechild: Just coming from ESWAMA office now.
Met the secretary to the director(was not on sit) and laid a complaint on the pile of litter scattered infront of the house of assembly and Okpara square.
There also seemed to be some issues with the payment of the ground crew members.
the head of the ESWAMA was changed recently...a woman was in charge before the change.
Their system of bill payment is not effective for now,they could try rivers state system of collecting refuse from houses. Defaulters can easily be fished out and cut off from the service.

The best way is just to privatise the agency.

Eaglechild,Weldone for the effort you made!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:28pm On Dec 27, 2012
eaglechild: Just coming from ESWAMA office now.

^^^Thanks for your proactive stand Eaglechild.

PS- what's the Igbo name for 'Eagle' again? undecided

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 3:30pm On Dec 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thanks for your proactive stand Eaglechild.

PS- what's the Igbo name for 'Eagle' again? undecided
eagle is call UGO in igbo
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:39pm On Dec 27, 2012
ak47mann: eagle is call UGO in igbo

^^^Thanks bruh.

For some funny reason i don't come across that name a lot....maybe that's why i forgot.

What is 'Egbe' again?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 3:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thanks bruh.

For some funny reason i don't come across that name a lot....maybe that's why i forgot.

What is 'Egbe' again?
Egbe is eagle.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Egbe is eagle.

^^^Phew! Thanks Afam....that's a relief; would have been a tad worrying if i didn't know simple stuff like this.

Maybe Ugo is a different species.....kinda like you have Eagles and Kites.

Cheers.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Egbe is eagle.

Ugo is the eagle
Egbe is the kite
Nkwo is the hawk
Udene is the vulture

Afam, abeg you need to visit home soon before oyibo people will claim you from us grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 3:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
spyder880:

Ugo is the eagle
Egbe is the kite
Nkwo is the hawk
Udene is the vulture

Afam, abeg you need to visit home soon before oyibo people will claim you from us grin
lol grin

The truth is that i don't even know the difference between an eagle and a kite
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jmaine: 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2012
legendary thread from Spyder880 . . . . . Una go soon discuss pass 100 pages shocked
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
NNA BOKO WAN BOMB ENUGU AIRPORTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (712) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.