Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,299 members, 7,887,888 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:47 PM

5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks (14752 Views)

Immigration To Recruit 5,000 Personnel Soon / Good News! Immigration Set To Recruit 5,000 Officers / Black Christmas As Over 200 Bankers Lose Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by tantan: 5:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
in nija banks even if ur the best calculus and adam smith of our time and u no dey bring customers we get fat fat accounts, u are likely to be fired. so sad
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Tsmooth1(m): 5:47pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thank God Islamic Banking is thier for us. Make i go submitt my C.V make i become manager jor!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Tsmooth1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thank God Islamic Banking is thier for us. Make i go submitt my C.V make i become manager jor! All those Big Boys and Girls now go de drink Garri with us. hahahahhahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by IFBaby: 5:54pm On Jul 02, 2012
When soludo was there our economy was perfect
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by chally02(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2012
it doesnt surprise me atall., banks are business organisation set to make profit, therefore they must cut cost by all means as long as it doesnt affect their quality of service..
Why wil they employe people when there is atm dispensing cash, am even hearing of an atm collecting cash aswel, d new cashles policy with pos machine every where,e payments and mobile payment..technology has simply collected their jobs.
We must accept change and start tinks of creative ways to make ends meet
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 6:06pm On Jul 02, 2012
manny4life:

Both government fiscal policies AND youth willingness work hand in hand. If the govt is hostile for entrepreneurship, then that doesn't encourage youths. That's the point; the govt IS NOT encouraging small businesses, there's no incentive of being an entrepreneur. How many of our universities teach entrepreneurial programs in school? How many grants and programs have our govt supported to encourage entrepreneurship? I mean other than YouWIN, what else? The business environment and foundation is POOR. If I want to go into business, I will jump through hoops and loops from licensing to small capital to infrastructures (which is the WORST).

IMO, folks might lack the willingness to be creative but our environment need to spur such creativity. The govt is docile, the people are docile. If govt makes things available, people will move from docility to mobility, and you see the perception begins to change.

We are saying the same thing bro, the govt has never in any time encouraged entrepreneurs but then the citizens themselves are too docile to ask for help rigorously because few are looking into that direction.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by chamber2(m): 6:13pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:

The banks were employing people they never needed in the first place, hence the reason for the sacking.. if you are under producing or under-servicing, you won't dare sack. only when you have MORE staffs than production/output that you think of sacking.. simple!

Bros, if you dare approach any banker he/she would tell you how ''over laboured'' they are! So, your argument that '' they wouldn't have been employed'' in the first instance is highly misplaced. No employer will hire people who do nothing. Bankers are among the highly worked-out people in Nigeria. Ask them!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Tisa: 6:17pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:
Nobody wants to start from the scratch, nobody wants to build but they all want to live in a house others built, no body wants to suffer as a start up business owner, rather they would sit at home waiting for other entrepreneur to employ them.
0% CREATIVITY

I beg to disagree with u dear. I do interact daily with Nigerian youths regarding entrepreneural development and I marvel daily @ the brilliance of our youth and weep @ the hopeless condition are leaders are putting our youths the so called future generation. Well over 80% of nigerians wld love to own their own biz and believe me they do have the business ideas however the abject poverty our leaders have subjected us to will not permit such. I don't know ur background but I went to public schs throughout and while in d university I know guys that will do danfo conductor during the break so they can afford to go to sch the next semester today (because of the short lived obj/soludo policies) this same people are millionaires today cos they got access to bank loans during the obj period. You cannot strive as a new entrepreneur in any country of the world without access to funds, the time that the brilliance of nigerian youths were about been unveiled the demon sanusi lamido came and torpedo the economic growth of the nation.

Please don't underestimate nigerians, we are very brilliant and dynamic our only problem is leadership. Please google a program named Small Business Administration (usa). That's the program set up by the usa FG to promote entrepreneurs, that agency has thousands of mentors enrolled (buffet is a mentor) the mentors are assigned new entrepreneurs so that they look @ the biz idea of the new guy and advice him on possible gains n flaws then the mentor will recommend the project for funding 100%, go read the rest. Our leaders can do same (or @ best leave the economy to run well and not destroy it like sanusi is doing) but rather they are looting away the future of nigeria. One day the money will finish and their defendants will curse them for the hardship they will face cos there is no way they will loot this much and nature will leave them to go free.

GOD bless u.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Tisa: 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:
Nobody wants to start from the scratch, nobody wants to build but they all want to live in a house others built, no body wants to suffer as a start up business owner, rather they would sit at home waiting for other entrepreneur to employ them.
0% CREATIVITY

I beg to disagree with u dear. I do interact daily with Nigerian youths regarding entrepreneural development and I marvel daily @ the brilliance of our youth and weep @ the hopeless condition are leaders are putting our youths the so called future generation. Well over 80% of nigerians wld love to own their own biz and believe me they do have the business ideas however the abject poverty our leaders have subjected us to will not permit such. I don't know ur background but I went to public schs throughout and while in d university I know guys that will do danfo conductor during the break so they can afford to go to sch the next semester today (because of the short lived obj/soludo policies) this same people are millionaires today cos they got access to bank loans during the obj period. You cannot strive as a new entrepreneur in any country of the world without access to funds, the time that the brilliance of nigerian youths were about been unveiled the demon sanusi lamido came and torpedo the economic growth of the nation.

Please don't underestimate nigerians, we are very brilliant and dynamic our only problem is leadership. Please google a program named Small Business Administration (usa). That's the program set up by the usa FG to promote entrepreneurs, that agency has thousands of mentors enrolled (buffet is a mentor) the mentors are assigned new entrepreneurs so that they look @ the biz idea of the new guy and advice him on possible gains n flaws then the mentor will recommend the project for funding 100%, go read the rest this program is dacades old. Our leaders can do same (or @ best leave the economy to run well and not destroy it like sanusi is doing) but rather they are looting away the future of nigeria. One day the money will finish and their defendants will curse them for the hardship they will face cos there is no way they will loot this much and nature will leave them to go free.

GOD bless u.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 6:31pm On Jul 02, 2012
chamber2:

Bros, if you dare approach any banker he/she would tell you how ''over laboured'' they are! So, your argument that '' they wouldn't have been employed'' in the first instance is highly misplaced. No employer will hire people who do nothing. Bankers are among the highly worked-out people in Nigeria. Ask them!

Then can you explain what is going on now? if they are that needed, why then are they being sacked? do you throw away valuables? why would you sack staffs you need? they are surplus to requirement.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 6:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
Tisa: honeric01:
0% CREATIVITY

Please don't underestimate nigerians, we are very brilliant and dynamic our only problem is leadership. Please google a program named Small Business Administration (usa). That's the program set up by the usa FG to promote entrepreneurs, that agency has thousands of mentors enrolled (buffet is a mentor) the mentors are assigned new entrepreneurs so that they look @ the biz idea of the new guy and advice him on possible gains n flaws then the mentor will recommend the project for funding 100%, go read the rest. Our leaders can do same (or @ best leave the economy to run well and not destroy it like sanusi is doing) but rather they are looting away the future of nigeria. One day the money will finish and their defendants will curse them for the hardship they will face cos there is no way they will loot this much and nature will leave them to go free.

GOD bless u.

I didn't say Nigerians aren't intelligent, did i? one thing is to be intelligent, another thing is to make use of your intelligence. we are intelligent but we hardly use this intelligence hence the reason Nigeria is how it is.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by chamber2(m): 6:48pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:

Then can you explain what is going on now? if they are that needed, why then are they being sacked? do you throw away valuables? why would you sack staffs you need? they are surplus to requirement.

The current crisis in the sector is self-inflicted, albeit the recession. This mass sack in banks is a reflection of poor regulatory framework and emotion-ladden crisis management approach by the leadership of the CBN. Sanusi, as a risk expert, should have known that the banking sector is susceptible to noise and would have done his best to manage the crises ''administratively'' without recourse to politics and witch-hunting. Now, the banks appear to be broke and can nolonger maintain their workforce due to the reckless spending witnessed in re-branding the banks. If the banks must cut cost there are many ways to go about that. Reducing advert cost, operation cost and the salaries and jumbo allowances paid to bank chiefs can go a long way.

Did you know how much these banks spent in removing and replacing the ATM machines Sanusi mandated them to station only at the banks' premises only to rescind later? This would have paid a lot of staff's salary if you ask me. Did you also know the amount spent re-branding former Bank Phb? All these amount to financial recklessness. Therefore, arguing that it is only by laying-off staffs that the banks will operate efficiently is inappropriate.

Mere visiting just one bank will convince you that those banks actually need more hands to do their job. The service speed, customer satisfaction and promptness in delivery is poo in most banks.

So, the staffs are being sacked because the bank top executives and the regulatory institutions are clueless as to what to do to salvage the self-created deli-ma. Policy inconsistency is also a major factor.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by purplekayc(m): 6:50pm On Jul 02, 2012
Sad ooo[color=#000000][/color embarassed]
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 02, 2012
Do not mind sls,he sets to destroy south economy.most banks are owned by southerners just as many bankers are.until southerner or liberal northerner be in charge of cbn,more woes for bank and south economy.Socioeconomic jihad.
sobsidy: The real problem is Sanusi,the man is "a bull in a china shop" with his "riot like" intervention policies in a delicate sector like Banking!& what is the outcome, "An unprecedented mass layoff's" and a huge unemployment database for our dear country.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2012
chamber2:

The current crisis in the sector is self-inflicted, albeit the recession. This mass sack in banks is a reflection of poor regulatory framework and emotion-ladden crisis management approach by the leadership of the CBN. Sanusi, as a risk expert, should have known that the banking sector is susceptible to noise and would have done his best to manage the crises ''administratively'' without recourse to politics and witch-hunting. Now, the banks appear to be broke and can nolonger maintain their workforce due to the reckless spending witnessed in re-branding the banks. If the banks must cut cost there are many ways to go about that. Reducing advert cost, operation cost and the salaries and jumbo allowances paid to bank chiefs can go a long way.

Did you know how much these banks spent in removing and replacing the ATM machines Sanusi mandated them to station only at the banks' premises only to rescind later? This would have paid a lot of staff's salary if you ask me. Did you also know the amount spent re-branding former Bank Phb? All these amount to financial recklessness. Therefore, arguing that it is only by laying-off staffs that the banks will operate efficiently is inappropriate.

Mere visiting just one bank will convince you that those banks actually need more hands to do their job. The service speed, customer satisfaction and promptness in delivery is poo in most banks.

So, the staffs are being sacked because the bank top executives and the regulatory institutions are clueless as to what to do to salvage the self-created deli-ma. Policy inconsistency is also a major factor.

This is partially not true, i believe whether now or later, the banks are expected to employ less human man power while steering towards technological man power and it's gradually happening.. why would you need 3 or 5 CCO when more ATMs and Auto Reception service is now evoke? more banks are setting up e-centers where a customer can walk in on his own to complete a transaction without help from any bank staff, the more of these e-centers, the less staffs banks need. so why would bank retain staffs they don't need when they can simply build more of these e-centers and at the same time save money for themselves?

1 Like

Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by qwest(m): 7:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
SHOULD THE PRIMARY CONCERN OF SANUSI BE THE WORKERS JOBS, OR THE SAFETY OF THE FUNDS DEPOSITED IN THE BANKS AND MAINTAINING A LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE IN THE BANKING SYSTEM?
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Gentlebabs(m): 7:23pm On Jul 02, 2012
It is through that these bankers are victims of unfortunate circumstances, but GOD has a way of giving you a message in your mess. If you have ever been to the insurance sector, you will regret having sought employment in the bank in the first place. If you know any sacked banker who is ready to turn his/her financial situation around, by working with the largest insurer in Africa, call me and i will give them a space in our organization. Call Babs on (08035063895).
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by chamber2(m): 7:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
honeric01:

This is partially not true, i believe whether now or later, the banks are expected to employ less human man power while steering towards technological man power and it's gradually happening.. why would you need 3 or 5 CCO when more ATMs and Auto Reception service is now evoke? more banks are setting up e-centers where a customer can walk in on his own to complete a transaction without help from any bank staff, the more of these e-centers, the less staffs banks need. so why would bank retain staffs they don't need when they can simply build more of these e-centers and at the same time save money for themselves?

Bros, even in the face of technological advancement banks do not sack staffs the way it is currently done in our country. Ours is highly unprecedented and represents a collapsing system. Something, other than technology, is obviously behind this. Even in more advanced and emerging economies bank staffs are not being thrown away the way it is done here. It has always being a gradual process. Our banks have not really gone that technological if you ask me. We still do not have ATM deposit and cheque receiving machines here. Consequently, the need for manual staffs remains widespread.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by TheBuilder: 7:51pm On Jul 02, 2012
where is the breakdown?
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Picomon(m): 8:05pm On Jul 02, 2012
tunax5loon:

noo yu get it wrong bro.. i finished my NYSC this FEB.. and all the money i saved, i hav invested it in my poultry biz.. i hav 100 cockrels at the moment.. but i must confess things are not easy because i can hardly buy credit.. i rely on free browsing these dayz. grin
Are yu now telling me that i don't need to search for job again?
mind yu, i'm still feeding the birds at the moment with nothing in return for now..
it is not easy. cry

Bro, starting a biz ain't easy. Believe me if you stay faithful to the process you will surely win big! I know things might be hard for you now but if you love what you do keep going and never give up cos tinz gon change for better!!
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by honeric01(m): 8:06pm On Jul 02, 2012
chamber2:

Bros, even in the face of technological advancement banks do not sack staffs the way it is currently done in our country. Ours is highly unprecedented and represents a collapsing system. Something, other than technology, is obviously behind this. Even in more advanced and emerging economies bank staffs are not being thrown away the way it is done here. It has always being a gradual process. Our banks have not really gone that technological if you ask me. We still do not have ATM deposit and cheque receiving machines here. Consequently, the need for manual staffs remains widespread.

Yes they haven't fully gone technological but i believe they can only sack people they have no use of.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by zinosleek(m): 8:34pm On Jul 02, 2012
All these noise FG are making about job creation are scam, at d momment FG is d biggest scam in this country.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by fatherab1: 8:43pm On Jul 02, 2012
[size=18pt]THEY ARE NOT BANKERS BUT BANK STAFF[/size]
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by DaLover(m): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2012
Truth is what are the banks really doing?...
They are supposed to finance the manufacturing/industrial and agric sectors primarily...

then second, provide mortgages, commodities loans and saving/cash deposit houses...

Where we cannot have an industrial sector, we cannot have a large large commercial agricultural base...

hence no secure jobs, meaning no mortgages or commodity loans to the poor masses.

The banks end up turning cash around and around and making profit without any benefit to the economy...

GEJs answer....
Use what you have to get what you want...
Stop oil subsidy
Maximize your oil refining capacity via private sector involvement
Maximize your oil petrochemical production capacity via private sector involvement..
Have between 10 and 15 refineries, plus another number of petrochemical plants can be a startup for industrial revolution..
and the banks can now be active.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by lucynkem: 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2012
Hello friends, I have read most comments here and I must say that some are very right. It will take you and I to combact this job problem we are facing in Nigeria. If 3 or 4 of us here in this forum, make up our minds and set up a good business, then we would be able to creat say about 20 jobs in less than 6 months. I am talking from experience. Lets rub minds together, then agree on some thing profitable and start. No matter how much we cry on this forum, nothing might happen if we do not change our own attitudes from job searching to creation of jobs. If you want to us to discuss further, do not hesitate to reply. Cheers
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by a1solution: 9:24pm On Jul 02, 2012
[quote
author=tunax5loon]

noo yu get it wrong bro.. i finished my NYSC this FEB.. and all the
money i saved, i hav invested it in my poultry biz.. i hav 100 cockrels
at the moment.. but i must confess things are not easy because i can
hardly buy credit.. i rely on free browsing these dayz. grin
mind yu, i'm still feeding the birds at the moment with nothing in
return for now..
it is not easy. cry[/quote][quote
author=tunax5loon]

noo yu get it wrong bro.. i finished my NYSC this FEB.. and all the
money i saved, i hav invested it in my poultry biz.. i hav 100 cockrels
at the moment.. but i must confess things are not easy because i can
hardly buy credit.. i rely on free browsing these dayz. grin
mind yu, i'm still feeding the birds at the moment with nothing in
return for now..
it is not easy. cry[/quote] Dear, the business you ventured is a good one but with wrong timin. u dont use ur last card to invest in a business the return wud not come imediatly. you are suppose to start with sumtin that has quick turn over until you are balance be4 doin this ur present biz. but if u can make a Uturn now not mindin the loss you may incure presently u wud save urself from more more loss. (change line until u are balance!) Ok
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by TheShopKeeper(m): 9:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
Capitalist in operation, it's a dog eat dog world, some people have to be sacrified for others to make it.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Genius100: 10:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
Those blaming Sanusi are obviously dullards. You should be thanking Sanusi. Had Sanusi not intervened, the job loss occuring now will be child's play compared to what would have happened, had the thieving banks continued to cook their books. Sanusi's reform has only brought out the truth that these banks were declaring bogus profits; now that they can't do so anymore, it's obvious they can't support the staff they hired based on their bloated numbers.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by fyneguy: 10:39pm On Jul 02, 2012
chamber2:

Bros, I disagree with u on why the banks are retrenching. I was a banker over a decade ago and currently provide some tech solutions to banks, which put me in a vantage position to be privy to the real issues with these banks. ↲Truth is that most of the banks deal in volatile and unsustainable revenue streams. The managements of these banks are either clueless, lack creativity or both, as to how banking should be done for sustainable operations. What most of them do is accummulate short-term deposits and rush to buy treasury bills. Then, take usually fraudulent charges on customers' accts. Some banks built their deposit portfolio with ill-gotten pension funds, oil subsidy funds and other fraudulent sources. Once those sources dried up, they got into trouble. You should do a study on the deposit, loan and revenue characters of these banks, you'll understand why these banks, and by extension, Nigerian economy are in a sorry state.
Re: 5,000 Bankers Lose Jobs In Past Three Weeks by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2012
Genius100: Those blaming Sanusi are obviously dullards. You should be thanking Sanusi. Had Sanusi not intervened, the job loss occuring now will be child's play compared to what would have happened, had the thieving banks continued to cook their books. Sanusi's reform has only brought out the truth that these banks were declaring bogus profits; now that they can't do so anymore, it's obvious they can't support the staff they hired based on their bloated numbers.

GBAM!
A Daniel has come to judgement...
You sir, are truly a genius.
To add to that, depositors would lose their funds and the banks would liquidate.
SLS moved in to save depositors funds. Atleast, the bank is clear in its dealings now although corruption in that sector hasn't been completely wiped out. Now the banks are going digital and also focusing on telephone banking AVR systems. Hence, It's common sense that their would be job loss. Also, sack is a very common occurrence in the banking sector worldwide and not only Nigeria.

HSBC would have sacked 30,000 between 2011 and 2013 despite posting a 7billion pounds at the time the announcement was made.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2021007/HSBC-announce-30-000-job-losses--posting-profits-7bn.html

RBS is doing away with most of its investment banking division to focus more on the core banking. Yes, that means their would be job loss.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NLNG Ship Management Limited (NSML) Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Career Opportunities At Coca-cola Hellenic Bottling Company / How To Follow Up AFTER A Job Interview?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.