Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,117 members, 7,913,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 08:40 PM

Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years (5308 Views)

Nigeria's Four Refineries To Begin Operation Next Month - NNPC / US Investors To Build 6 Refineries In Nigeria / The Army Destroyed 2000 Illegal Refineries In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2012
manny4life:

You tried but failed though

1. Your link isn't working

2. Vulcan Capital Management is totally different from Vulcan Capital (Paul Allen of Microsoft).

Well, Vulcan Energy is still part of Vulcan Capital Management...

Not sure why you felt the need to qualify my post with a comment about failure.
Was the information provided useful? tongue

Fortune: self made
Source: Microsoft, investments

Net Worth: 22.0

Country Of Citizenship: United States
Residence: Seattle, Washington, United States, North America
Industry: Software
Marital Status: single, no children

Washington State University, Drop Out

Microsoft cofounder, "wired world" proponent lately finding more promise in pipes delivering oil instead of information. Bought energy outfit Plains Resources for $460 million, controlling stake in Plains All American Pipeline, operator of 15,000 miles of oil pipelines. Through Vulcan Energy unit, paid $250 million for natural gas storage business from Sempra Energy. Hasn't given up entirely on the future. Still maintains dozens of investments in media (Charter Communications), technology (set-top box manufacturer Digeo), biotech. Ten-year-old investment in wannabe Hollywood studio DreamWorks finally showing some returns after company took its animation unit public but planned secondary offering of mostly Allen shares postponed for now. Owner of pro football's Seattle Seahawks took team to its first Super Bowl in February, lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Other pursuits in space (funded SpaceShipOne, first to launch private flight into suborbital space), the open seas (413-foot yacht Octopus armed with 2 helicopters and a 60-foot submarine). His Paul G. Allen Family Foundation has donated heavily to education, art and science causes. Joined buddy Bill Gates in 1975, left the company in 1983 to fight Hodgkin's disease. Has been slowly selling off Microsoft stake ever since.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
Still working on getting Vulcan Energy Corp on phone to verify the deal with Nigeria though . . . grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Eziachi: 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
Kobojunkie: um . . . FEIN of companies registered in America is not CLASSIFIED information lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed You have [b]free [/b]access to them online, or by phone (call the IRS directly).
Don't mind this goons, sometimes, they believe they are talking to their gullible uncle in their villages.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 5:03pm On Jul 09, 2012
To save the kobojunkies from phoning David Cameron and Obama. Lol! grin

[size=14pt]Nigeria signs $4.5 bln refineries deal with Vulcan Petroleum[/size]
Tue Jul 3, 2012 6:01am GMT
By Tim Cocks and Camillus Eboh

LAGOS/ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria signed a memorandum of understanding on Monday with Vulcan Petroleum Resources for a $4.5 billion project to build six refineries with a combined 180,000 barrel a day capacity, officials said on Wednesday.

Vulcan, an affiliate of New York-based private equity firm Vulcan Capital Corp, aimed to have two of the refineries finished in under a year, they said.

Nigeria is Africa's top crude oil producer but its refineries are in such a state of disrepair that they meet only a fraction of its domestic fuel needs. Its crude is shipped out and costly refined products imported.

"The project is estimated to gulp 697.5bn naira, while two of the refineries are expected to be completed within the next 12 months," Yemi Kolapo, spokeswoman for the trade ministry, said in a statement.

"Each modular refinery, when completed, will refine up to 30,000 barrels of crude oil per day and produce up to five million litres of petrol, diesel, kerosene and LPFO (liquid petroleum fuel oil)."

Nigeria's existing plants have a total capacity of 445,000 barrels per day, but are running at less than three-quarters of that capacity.

Chief Edozie Njoku, chairman of Petroleum Refining and Strategic Reserve, Vulcan's partner in the joint venture, told Reuters by phone the aim was to distribute the sites in different regions of Nigeria.

"We have to look at where the crude pipelines are. We need to plant them so that everyone is favoured, but in the north the pipelines only go to Kaduna (in central Nigeria)," he said.

"Two of them are going to be finished in about a year. It's not rocket science - to have all six ready should take about 30 months," he added.

Nigeria has two refineries in its main oil-hub Port Harcourt and one each in the Niger Delta town of Warri and in Kaduna.

Some Nigerians are sceptical about building more refineries when existing ones are under capacity, but Njoku dismissed this.

"The refineries already in Nigeria are on their last legs. They will cost the country millions to turn around. Nigeria needs new refineries," he said.

A lot of MoUs are signed with Nigerian authorities that go nowhere, but Njoku said he was confident the projects would happen.

"The only thing we need for this to be done is our permits from the government ... They have shown enough honesty that they want these refineries to be built," he said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE86200820120703?sp=true
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 5:03pm On Jul 09, 2012
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2012
Eziachi:
Don't mind this goons, sometimes, they believe they are talking to their gullible uncle in their villages.

Abi!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by manny4life(m): 5:05pm On Jul 09, 2012
Kobojunkie: Still working on getting Vulcan Energy Corp on phone to verify the deal with Nigeria though . . . grin grin grin

While you're at it, don't forget about the FEIN you stated. I really want to know the FREE SITES to obtain FEIN numbers from. Please post it. Besides, you called VULCAN and waiting for response, but almost an hr later, you've not called IRS...LOL
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
Does Microsoft exist? I wonder!

--Beaf scratches head, picks up phone to ask someone from PHCN--

...All in the spirit of the day! grin grin grin
All hail kobo!!!...
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by FindOut(m): 5:10pm On Jul 09, 2012
Beaf:

Dude, development cannot come for free. There is no way we can keep up with the petroleum subsidy or any of our previous backward economic practices and hope to progress. Those are the very things holding us back, stopping us from applying ourselves and allowing chaos to reign.
No serious country subsidises armed robbers journeys or randy old sugardaddies journeys with a blind, all encompassing subsidy; instead, subsidies are given directly to research firms, farmers, targeted industries, education, health etc; all areas of wellbeing, wealth and employment generation.
What is left of the subsidy needs to go so more firms can come in and put refineries on the ground.

GEJ's govt is all about removing the FG's hands from the money pot and creating an enabling environment for the private sector to drive development and wealth generation, as obtains across the developed World. It is the next best thing after true federalism.
That is the way it should be, govt has always been poor at running services, from NEPA to NITEL. Even NNPC, corruptions very own shrine, is being lined up for privatisation, balkanisation and accountability.
Bro, this is your time and my time to seek opportunities.

Well, fingers crossed is what I can say here. You made points but Nigeria has a way of making even the easiest thing difficult. Lets hope the refinery business will be different
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by manny4life(m): 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2012
Not sure why you felt the need to qualify my post with a comment about failure.
Was the information provided useful?

NO it wasn't.

Perhaps, there's a lil bit of confusion going around and there's a lot of naming going on from different media sites. Some called it Vulcan Energy Corp, some termed it Vulcan Energy LLC which is an arm of Capital Management, Some quoted Vulcan Petroleum Resources. Be it as it may, whether it's Vulcan Energy, Capital Management, Petroleum Resources, Water Resources or whatever the case is, bottom line is, it's irrelevant to me whichever of the Vulcans own it
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Eziachi: 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2012
Beaf:

...Or winsh, or vulture, or hyena, or red-eyed... Lol! grin
How ya side, bro? I pray things are better from the last time we spoke some months ago? If not, keep strong.

By the way, the FG has [b]zero [/b]equity in the deal. It is 100% private. cool
If its 100% private, why are you bleeding on about it as an achievement to be realised by Jonathan administration?
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2012
Find Out!:

you have a point there as well. I actually later posted a modified version of the post you quoted. Its indeed true, a foreign firm is likely to do a better job managing the refineries than a Nigerian owned firm.

I guess nothing to do but cross our fingers & see what happens eventually. 2.5yrs is not such a long time

I don't cross my fingers anymore on issues Nigeria. I am still trying to recover from the cramps from the Obasanjo years. lol

On waiting, you do realize that if nothing comes of this, that will be 2.5 years of people's lives lost. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by manny4life(m): 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
MADAM KOBO,

STILL WAITING ON YOUR FREE FEIN WEBSITES...LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2012
Find Out!:

Well, fingers crossed is what I can say here. You made points but Nigeria has a way of making even the easiest thing difficult. Lets hope the refinery business will be different

I agree with the bolded.
It further strengthens the reason that we should encourage govt to hands off everything. The day avenues for obscene money making dry up in Abuja is the day we will start developing.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2012
Also Vulcan Energy. Corp IS NOT[b] Vulcan Energy Solutions, LLC[/b] and is also NOT Vulcan Energy PTY LTD.

different entities.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/09/markets-ratings-vulcanenergycorp-idUSL3E7D92L520110209
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by FindOut(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
manny4life:

It depends on what kind of cost you're talking about. If the cost of removing subsidy (opportunity) to have independent refineries is greater than economic benefit, then I'll say I reject the status quo, but if not, then I'm all for it.

BTW, idk what going on with Orient, the last I heard, they had some logistics to work out. I mean you will expect such given that we lack infrastructure to boost development.

Good.
Lacking infrastructure to boost development = Unfavourable climate for business = Rise in cost of doing business = My concerns about a PRIVATE (i.e. Profit oriented) firm setting up the refineries which we the masses will be directly/indirectly paying for upon completion.

Again again (as Madam Kobo likes to point out.lol), I keep my fingers crossed.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Eziachi: 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I don't cross my fingers anymore on issues Nigeria. I am still trying to recover from the cramps from the Obasanjo years. lol

On waiting, you do realize that if nothing comes of this, that will be 2.5 years of people's lives lost. undecided undecided undecided
You still remember how Nigeria wiped off her debt and now ready to borrow Ghana some money? How much are they owing now to the Chinese alone exactly?
I beg you to Keep your leg crossed too, not just your finger.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by FindOut(m): 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

LOL @ cramps. True sha, we cross fingers tire & not much came out of it. I read an article by Sonala Olumhense a few days ago on the OBJ administration and I was literally shaking my head. Soooo many achievements could have been fitted into those years, but unfortunately, it wasnt so. Make i no derail thread.

Well, on waiting, I've learnt in life that if you do not have much expectations about someone/something (without malice), you wont get disappointed eventually smiley
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by FindOut(m): 5:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
Beaf:

I agree with the bolded.
It further strengthens the reason that we should encourage govt to hands off everything. The day avenues for obscene money making dry up in Abuja is the day we will start developing.

Lol. But hope you know that at the same time, the government needs to be in charge of certain things, so they can ''have mouth'' when its time to put up regulations and enforce them. I think its also necessary to WEED OUT & PUNISH (where necessary) the inefficient and corrupt people who have made government the way it is now. Government is made up of people, people who can very well be thrown in jail if they mess up. & I can assure you, once we have a few PROPER scapegoats, who have been decisively & properly dealt with, the others will sit up, or at least most of the others. That's how we Nigerians (human beings generally I think) behave. We almost always need something to ginger us to work hard. The Government can be made efficient. It just needs proper & strategic cleansing, plus attitudinal change which MUST start from the TOP.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 5:57pm On Jul 09, 2012
Find Out!:

Lol. But hope you know that at the same time, the government needs to be in charge of certain things, so they can ''have mouth'' when its time to put up regulations and enforce them. I think its also necessary to WEED OUT & PUNISH (where necessary) the inefficient and corrupt people who have made government the way it is now. Government is made up of people, people who can very well be thrown in jail if they mess up. & I can assure you, once we have a few PROPER scapegoats, who have been decisively & properly dealt with, the others will sit up, or at least most of the others. That's how we Nigerians (human beings generally I think) behave. We almost always need something to ginger us to work hard. The Government can be made efficient. It just needs proper & strategic cleansing, plus attitudinal change which MUST start from the TOP.

Dude, how many people will you jail and where will you draw the line. The average Nigerian on the street is extremely corrupt.
The only way out is to change the system and make govt less attractive as a pocket filler. Sell everything, privatise the oil sector and the blinding levels of corruption in govt will come to a sure end.

It is our system that encourages corruption, so no amount of jail sentences will repair it. The system has to be completely torn down, uprooted and the worthless constitution set on fire; these things need to be done for an rquitable citizen state contract to be grown, one that gives just reward and recognition for sweat, merit and application; a system that is caring and encourages honesty.

So long as there is "free" oil money in Abuja, thieves will gravitate there. Govt needs to stop dealing with money, thats for businessmen; govt should simply enable.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by VoodooDoll(m): 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
The Vulcan PE fund associated with Paul Allen is not known to be involved with this MOU. No news alerts, disclosures or other communications have been made to Vulcan's investors, stakeholders, limited partners or other interested parties on this venture.

There are many entities that share a similar sounding name, any of which could have signed the MOU with FGN.

For the avoidance of doubt, an MOU is not a contract and neither is it a commitment (contingent or actual) as has been portrayed by local and foreign press.

News agencies have been informed to correct, withdraw or update their reporting.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2012
VoodooDoll:
News agencies have been informed to correct, withdraw or update their reporting.

When?

For those interested, I have so far tried to contact

Vulcan Capital Management -- Still no response

Vulcan Energy corp. -- Both numbers found for their TX office wrong numbers

Vulcan Co. in Alabama -- not the company

Vulcan Energy pty. LTD -- not the company

Still not found a Vulcan Petroleum Resources in the US.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by VoodooDoll(m): 6:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
@ Kobojunkie

I cannot comment on which Vulcan signed the MOU, only that it's not Paul Allen's Vulcan. As to when? That's a developing situation, and legal & PR advisors are "on top of the situation " shocked)

Follow this link for more, other's should be updating or have updated:

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL6E8I2GKX20120702

I'm in transit so posting from my phone.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Beaf: 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2012
...Just to help the kobojunkies for the umpteenth time:
http://capital.vulcan.com/

Lol! grin
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2012
VoodooDoll: @ Kobojunkie

I cannot comment on which Vulcan signed the MOU, only that it's not Paul Allen's Vulcan. As to when? That's a developing situation, and legal & PR advisors are "on top of the situation " shocked)

Follow this link for more, other's should be updating or have updated:

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL6E8I2GKX20120702

I'm in transit so posting from my phone.

If we are to believe that Paul Allen is not affiliated with the particular company we are looking for, then it is not Vulcan Capital. Corp since this is a Paul Allen affiliated company http://capital.vulcan.com/

http://capital.vulcan.com/News/Index.html

I am glad there are Lawyers and PR agents on top of this. Help us clear up this nonsense once and for all. As I said on another thread, this government definitely has a degree in signing of MOUs, and not much else.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 09, 2012
I hope they do.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by hercules07: 7:27pm On Jul 09, 2012
This is another Government Magic we are seeing, the two Vulcans that we can see are not related to the refinery vulcan. We shall soon hear another story in 12 months.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by macjive01: 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

When?

For those interested, I have so far tried to contact

Vulcan Capital Management -- Still no response

Vulcan Energy corp. -- Both numbers found for their TX office wrong numbers

Vulcan Co. in Alabama -- not the company

Vulcan Energy pty. LTD -- not the company

Still not found a Vulcan Petroleum Resources in the US.

Vulcan Capital is a leading private investment firm that creates long-term value by applying extensive industry knowledge, operational expertise and flexible financial resources to attractive investment opportunities.

The firm invests across all stages of corporate development through leveraged buyouts, growth capital, distressed/turnaround, and early-stage venture capital as well as public equity value investing.

The firm's portfolio spans a range of industry sectors, including media and communications, energy and natural resources, financial and information services, technology, and life sciences.

Vulcan Capital was formed in 2003 and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington. The firm serves as the investment arm of Vulcan Inc., founded by Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft.

http://capital.vulcan.com/AboutVulcanCapital/Index.html

CONTACT

Vulcan Capital Media Inquiries:

Andrew Cole
Sard Verbinnen & Co
212-687-8080

Vulcan Inc. Media Inquiries:

Christina Siderius
Vulcan Inc. Media Relations
206-342-2000
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by macjive01: 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
ABOUT US

Paul G. Allen founded Vulcan Inc. in 1986 with Jo Lynn Allen to manage his business and charitable endeavors.

Those endeavors include the creation of innovative technologies, award-winning films and vibrant new neighborhoods. They're about the revolution of rock 'n roll, the humanity of science fiction, and the poetry of a fingertip catch. They're about reaching from the tiniest genome to the very stratosphere, and most importantly, about improving the way people live, learn, do business, and experience the world.

Ours is compelling and diverse work, driven by strong business strategies and a unique vision. Take a look at our portfolio and you'll find an impressive range of projects, a track record of growth, and an abiding commitment to the part of the world in which we live.

Vulcan is focused on where the future lies, and we're excited to be on the journey there.

Mission
Vulcan creates and advances a variety of world-class endeavors and high impact initiatives that change and improve the way we live, learn, do business and experience the world.

Vision
Vulcan is a progressive, innovative, entrepreneurial organization powered by individuals with exceptional talents and skills who are all aligned through a common aspiration—to change the world by adding value to and improving the quality of people's lives.

People of Vulcan
Each day at Vulcan, talented and creative people implement groundbreaking projects in technology, business, the arts, and various community-minded endeavors. We're a multidisciplinary team with varied talents and a unifying passion for bringing great ideas to life. It's not overstating the case to say that our staff is among the top tier, professionally. Because great undertakings call for vital participants, we count our staff as the strongest resource we have at Vulcan.

Leadership
Vulcan's leadership is a diverse group of individuals, bringing their broad expertise, foresight and verve to our endeavors. Our organization's collaborative approach to everything we do fosters high levels of achievement within the Vulcan community, starting with senior management. They champion and support talent, model our company values, and spur the creative thinking and teamwork that makes our mission and vision achievable.

http://www.vulcan.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=99
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2012
macjive01:

Vulcan Capital is a leading private investment firm that creates long-term value by applying extensive industry knowledge, operational expertise and flexible financial resources to attractive investment opportunities.

The firm invests across all stages of corporate development through leveraged buyouts, growth capital, distressed/turnaround, and early-stage venture capital as well as public equity value investing.

The firm's portfolio spans a range of industry sectors, including media and communications, energy and natural resources, financial and information services, technology, and life sciences.

Vulcan Capital was formed in 2003 and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington. The firm serves as the investment arm of Vulcan Inc., founded by Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft.

http://capital.vulcan.com/AboutVulcanCapital/Index.html

CONTACT

Vulcan Capital Media Inquiries:

Andrew Cole
Sard Verbinnen & Co
212-687-8080

Vulcan Inc. Media Inquiries:

Christina Siderius
Vulcan Inc. Media Relations
206-342-2000

Go re-read the story. You are told the Vulcan Petroleum resources that signed the MOU with Nigeria has nothing to do with Paul Allen's Vulcan Capital Inc.. Also visit the Vulcan Capital site to see that there are no news updates indicating any such MOU was signed. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by macjive01: 9:34pm On Jul 09, 2012
^^^ i actually did, the latest news update is on the 26th of june, 2012.

even Bloomberg is reporting on it.

it didnt say it has a direct link with paul allen , but the venture capital has an arm , that has the joint venture.

i know its like "water-don-dey-pass-garri" but that the way these Venture company work.
Re: Nigeria To Get 6 New Refineries In The Next Two And A Half Years by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2012
lipsrsealed Vulcan Capital Corp is directly linked to Paul Allen . . . hence any arms of it will also be linked to him. If you are told that there should not be a Paul Allen link, that ought to tell you that the company you are looking for, should not in any way be affiliated with him.

Anyways, no need debating this any further. All one needs do is call up the firm and ask.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

100% Daily Picks(2-5 Odds) By Babjadol / Benefits OF ECOWAS Vs Naija Customs! / NRC Tasks Oil Marketers To Move Fuel By Rail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.