Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,879 members, 7,872,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:16 AM

Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS (6082 Views)

Buhari To Return 2016 Budget To NASS Over Missing Projects / MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 / House Of Representatives Passes Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by jmaine: 9:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) for onward transmission to the National Assembly.

Briefing State House correspondents at the end of its weekly council meeting, the minister of petroleum resources, Mrs. Deziani Allison-Madueke said the new PIB which will ensure the independence of the regulators in the oil and gas sector as well as unbundle the NNPC, will yield high return on investments for Nigerians.

“The new PIB is going to make the oil industry more competitive and accountable. It proposes revolutionary changes in the industry,” said the minister

She said that the fiscal frameworks which delayed the bill in the past have been reworked and that when passed by the National Assembly, the country will remain an interesting investment destination for oil and gas investors.

FEC also directed the ministers of agriculture and finance to reduce the import duty rate for cassava enhancing enzymes from 10 to 0 percent as well as come up with a development fund that will support the value chain in the production of bread in an effort to promote cassava farming in the country as well as reduce the country’s dependency on importation of wheat.

Budget Office of the ministry of finance will manage the fund meant for small scale millers who may need additional support.

Channels TV
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by pecopeco: 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2012
Thank God
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2012
Thank God, it was done at last after months of 'reproach'
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by decode55(m): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2012
so? Make we fly?
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Tolulop001(f): 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2012
thank goodness... Long overdue.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Mekky2010: 9:47pm On Jul 11, 2012
Any insight as to it's content? I just hope that the multinationals that held the old one hostage did not have their way ....
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by lacasa: 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2012
Yeea, jux like d minimum wage bill was approved bt yet no implementation till today.

Tell it ϯo tha fresh air squad cool
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by azimibraun: 9:54pm On Jul 11, 2012
Are u guys nigerians @ all? Hv u guys tot of its implementation @ all? Hw hs d odas such as d fIB bill worked? Wt of local content? Dis wll change noting.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Scarpon(m): 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2012
oluwa oshe
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Scarpon(m): 9:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
jehova emela
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Rossikk(m): 9:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
Mekky2010: Any insight as to it's content? I just hope that the multinationals that held the old one hostage did not have their way ....

I heard they did have their way. I hear the new bill is more favourable to the multinationals like Shell, than the previous one.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by jason123: 10:00pm On Jul 11, 2012
Rossikk:

I heard they did have their way. I hear the new bill is more favourable to the multinationals like Shell, than the previous one.

pls explain further...

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by SayITnw: 10:02pm On Jul 11, 2012
Let's delay the party, can we be sure the original version was approved? We need to ascertain that this is not some kind of lousy abridged version with no real value proposition.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by kclily: 10:10pm On Jul 11, 2012
na today
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 11, 2012
Nice one. And people, a little positivity won't kill you. The minimum wage was implemented by FG, only state govts messing around with it. Also local content bill is really helping Nigerian companies in the oil and gas industry- insiders know this, though not perfect but better than before.

If only GEJ would privatise power, allow State Police, scrap the federal road rubbish and send the monies to the states.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by JoeBatters: 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2012
I hope this bill does not contain excess loopholes, clauses and potholes, because anything that has to do with oil, those overfed CABAL members will get their over paid lawyers(SAN) to doctor a hollow bill n send it to NASS.
God help Nigeria, a country full of smokes n mirrors.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by unite4real: 10:21pm On Jul 11, 2012
This implies complete deregulation and we will see increase in pump price soon.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by nijanigga: 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2012
pecopeco: Thank God
You don't even know what's the PIB all about.you're jubiliating. Many parochial minded Nigerians.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by edicolove: 10:42pm On Jul 11, 2012
Joe Batters: I hope this bill does not contain excess loopholes, clauses and potholes, because anything that has to do with oil, those overfed CABAL members will get their over paid lawyers(SAN) to doctor a hollow bill n send it to NASS.
God help Nigeria, a country full of smokes n mirrors.

There is hardly any bill in the world where you dont have loopholes. American laws are full of em
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by taharqa: 10:43pm On Jul 11, 2012
azimibraun: Are u guys nigerians @ all? Hv u guys tot of its implementation @ all? Hw hs d odas such as d fIB bill worked? Wt of local content? Dis wll change noting.

Just to correct certain things here: some really nice developments are actually taken place in terms of the Local Content Initiative unlike say the Cabotage Act(that is not really working); on the Freedom of Information Bill- the bill is there but cannot 'implement' itself but need people to test it(the question is how many of us even know enough of the significance of the Bill to test it). And by the way, I think this PIB Bill if passed will definitely change certain things. There are 3 main components of the bill: Unbundling of the NNPC and the Oil industry, Transparency in Oil Process and New Effective Tariffs for the country. Once the bill is passed, the 1st purpose of unburdling the inefficient NNPC and making it a commercialized company will have immediate significant effects; I am not very sure how this version of the Bill handles Transparency issue, though I hope it does not change much from the original bill since it was not too controversial then; it is the 3rd major aspect(Tariffs) that am really concerned about- in fact i hear that they have compromised with the Oil majors here cos of investment fears(so I hope that when it gets to the National Assembly, the legislators will be patriotic enough to do what is right for the nation and not some Oil companies).

All considered though, this is really good news. I hear that the Sovereign Fund has now fully taken off after the governors finally gave their consent, which is another piece of good news.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Beaf: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2012
TroGunn: Nice one. And people, a little positivity won't kill you. The minimum wage was implemented by FG, only state govts messing around with it. Also local content bill is really helping Nigerian companies in the oil and gas industry- insiders know this, though not perfect but better than before.

If only GEJ would privatise power, allow State Police, scrap the federal road rubbish and send the monies to the states.

Send more money to the states that do nothing? I don't support that in the least.
Each state should be an economically viable and autonomous entity that should be funding the FG. It is an abberation for the FG to fund states, in fact, Nigeria is the only country in the World I know that has parasitic states.

In the rest of the World, it is the states that generate jobs and development. For example, the US govt did not create Silicon Valley, home of Microsoft, Google, Facebook etc; the state of Carlifornia created the enabling environment. The US govt did not create Holywood, Miamey Beach, Las Vegas etc; private enterprise coupled with local/state govts did.

Every Nigerian should fight tooth and nail to end the awuf culture, because it is the reason we remain backward. Free money for zero work creates an unhealthy environment.

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Beaf: 10:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
The PIB will gradually increase our earnings from the petroleum sector, from about $100billion to just under $700billion. A seven fold increase!
Surely, thats got to be healthy. cool
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by ismhab(m): 10:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
From fresh air to Fresh water, now Fresh petroleum bill, thank God we are advancing.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by ismhab(m): 11:05pm On Jul 11, 2012
Beaf: The PIB will gradually increase our earnings from the petroleum sector, from about $100billion to just under $700billion. A seven fold increase!
Surely, thats got to be healthy. cool
I hope it is true, but the rate of looting in Naija will increase.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by dunkem21(m): 11:08pm On Jul 11, 2012
Thanks beaf. ..'ve learnt a lot from ur thoughtful insights.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by edicolove: 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2012
Beaf:

Send more money to the states that do nothing? I don't support that in the least.
Each state should be an economically viable and autonomous entity that should be funding the FG. It is an abberation for the FG to fund states, in fact, Nigeria is the only country in the World I know that has parasitic states.

In the rest of the World, it is the states that generate jobs and development. For example, the US govt did not create Silicon Valley, home of Microsoft, Google, Facebook etc; the state of Carlifornia created the enabling environment. The US govt did not create Holywood, Miamey Beach, Las Vegas etc; private enterprise coupled with local/state govts did.

Every Nigerian should fight tooth and nail to end the awuf culture, because it is the reason we remain backward. Free money for zero work creates an unhealthy environment.

The problem with what you are saying is that it is the exact opposite of the north's mindset. The north actually believe that the government should take care of them and even share monies to them monthly. That is the mentality they bring back when they travel to the middle east. It is a social-cultural psyche. That is what they practice. If you ask anyone who served in the north, they will tell you that. Their governors and LG chairmen live in Abuja and only come home at the end of the month to share allocation. There is absolutely no work done and no one cares. As much as there is corruption in the south, you still find the governors doing some projects and building some infrastructure. Even Uduaghan whom we all agree is very poor has built an airport and many other infrastructure. Ibori as corrupt as he is, transformed Oghara into a fully developed town. But the northern governors do nada. Like a friend of mine, a political scientist, said, the reason Nigeria will find it hard to work is because the business of the north is government. Government is their only business.

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 11, 2012
Beaf:

You are right. But we are unlikely to get to the autonomous states position overnight. A smart way to start is handing over Policing and Infrastructure like roads to the states and sending the money usually allocated to the FG for these services to the states. With time, it'll become apparent that some states can't keep carrying others on their shoulders.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Mandelaguy(m): 11:14pm On Jul 11, 2012
On the first of this month,when I posted a thread enumerating the advantages of this new bill,most people wanted to nail me to the cross https://www.nairaland.com/979063/new-pib-resolves-controversy-over now, those people are here thanking God that FEC accepted the bill,after 10 days,they are having a differen thought pattern,this is good and an indicator that they will all swallow their vomits. Good one Diezani and GEJ!
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2012
Mandelaguy: On the first of this month,when I posted a thread enumerating the advantages of this new bill,most people wanted to nail me to the cross https://www.nairaland.com/979063/new-pib-resolves-controversy-over now, those people are here thanking God that FEC accepted the bill,after 10 days,they are having a differen thought pattern,this is good and an indicator that they will all swallow their vomits. Good one Diezani and GEJ!

Abeg that Diezani woman is a disgrace. The most honorable thing she can do in her life is to resign ASAP, after her complicity in the fraud that is NNPC.
Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by Mandelaguy(m): 11:24pm On Jul 11, 2012
TroGunn:

Abeg that Diezani woman is a disgrace. The most honorable thing she can do in her life is to resign ASAP, after her complicity in the fraud that is NNPC.
Did you investigate and implicate her? People whose brain process gossips should leave this thread fast!

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 11:28pm On Jul 11, 2012
I agree with u Beaf we need to move toward autonomous states as this is the reason why the country isnt working so far, but i agreealso with Trogunn, it needs to be gradual let start with the federal road thing first and policing, let governance move close to the people so that people can question autories close to them. Again this is the only solution to the current power struggle we are seeing in this country when there is no much power and money to steal in Abuja any body going there will know he is either going to work for the collective good of the nation or for the good of the people who sent him there. It will also encourage the growth of the other sectors of the Nigerian economy

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Industry Bill: FEC Approves Bill, Sends To NASS by bakila: 11:31pm On Jul 11, 2012
@beaf and ediclove those who know the Petroluem industry bill know it and what it portends. The lie about increasing earnings seven fold is so obvious, coming from you sha is normal. We go pless owur hand for umblera, no worry.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Breaks Silence As He Arrives Cambridge For His Certificate(VIDEO) / Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? / 2019 Election: Atiku And The Shackles Of Promises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.