Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,308 members, 7,943,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 11:13 PM

Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead (20184 Views)

No Presidential Aspirants Measures Up To Jonathan - Prof Yusuf Obaje / The Attah Of Igala Dr Aliyu Obaje Is Dead At The Age Of 102 Years / Attah Of Igala, Alhaji Aliyu Obaje, Dies At 102 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by floriana(m): 1:47am On Jul 17, 2012
Goldie was also evicted from the BBA!
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by jamace(m): 2:23am On Jul 17, 2012
floriana: Igala people are evil anywhere you have more than one of them at work. Like GEJ would say: "I don't give a damn"!
This must have been written by a crippled imbe-cile with leprosy eaten fingers. angry

6 Likes

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by sugardaddy1(m): 2:28am On Jul 17, 2012
R.I.P. I never knew he existed before now though.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by brownlord: 2:34am On Jul 17, 2012
meksroland: Only now that he's dead that I know that there is Ata Igalla. What has he contributed to naija after the war

bros i think say na only me dey reason am oo, ata igalla, never heard of such
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by Walexz02(m): 2:37am On Jul 17, 2012
RIP Attah....
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by brownlord: 2:38am On Jul 17, 2012
Am sure the 72 virgins must have been waiting for him, but where em won see strength take do 72 ?
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by greatgod2012(f): 2:55am On Jul 17, 2012
brownlord: Am sure the 72 virgins must have been waiting for him, but where em won see strength take do 72 ?
haba, u wan kill person with lafta, u be baaaaaad guy o

@ poster, i never knew he existed,anyway, RIP
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:02am On Jul 17, 2012
olulove: mod front page pls...this is one
of nigeria's prominent monarch
of the igala kingdom for over
55yrs...ALHAJI (DR). ALIYU
OBAJE...AGABA IDU...may is soul
rest in peace

Where do you guys get this " Agaba Idu" from? I swear its an Igbo word. We always call a great person " Agaba Idu" in Anambra where I come from. Is it also used by Igalas. I know what "Agaba" means but the "Idu" I dont know. I am very curous and needs some explanation. Onicha is also affectionatelly called " Onicha Ado n' Idu".
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by aletheia(m): 3:28am On Jul 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Where do you guys get this " Agaba Idu" from? I swear its an Igbo word. We always call a great person " Agaba Idu" in Anambra where I come from. Is it also used by Igalas. I know what "Agaba" means but the "Idu" I dont know. I am very curous and needs some explanation. Onicha is also affectionatelly called " Onicha Ado n' Idu".

If it's Igbo, how come you don't know the meaning of "Idu". Not surprising that the phrase occurs in Igboland. . .seeing as some Igbos (some Western Igbos, Onitsha, and around Enugu) descended from Igala. Agaba Idu means Great Lion.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:55am On Jul 17, 2012
aletheia:

If it's Igbo, how come you don't know the meaning of "Idu". Not surprising that the phrase occurs in Igboland. . .seeing as some Igbos (some Western Igbos, Onitsha, and around Enugu) descended from Igala. Agaba Idu means Great Lion.

Nop,Igala originated from Eri. And "Agaba Idu" doesnt literally mean "great lion". Its an idiomatic expression and can be used to describe a great man. Agaba is actually a masqurade with great esteem in my town but I will call my father tomorow and find out what "Idu" mean because there is another expression he uses " Idu n' Oba".
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by GenOrumov: 3:55am On Jul 17, 2012
$ugardaddy:
R.I.P. I never knew he existed before now though.
brownlord:

bros i think say na only me dey reason am oo, ata igalla, never heard of such
If you're from kogi state or you attended UNILAG, you should know him. As you never knew he existed, it isn't bad. The things we don't know is way more than the things we know. We are not expected to know everything under the sun but the good thing is we learn new things everyday. Well, i believe you have known him now.

4 Likes

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by okeyxyz(m): 3:57am On Jul 17, 2012
aletheia:

So what if he doesn't know the igbo word "Idu", it doesn't disqualify him as igbo, nor does it disqualify "Idu" as an igbo word.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by osundu(m): 4:12am On Jul 17, 2012
MEH GWA ATTAH!!!AGAABA IDUUU!!!I urge all igala sons and daugthers to be steadfast in prayers for our attah and that God should continue to promote peace in our land.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by aletheia(m): 4:13am On Jul 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Nop,Igala originated from Eri. And "Agaba Idu" doesnt literally mean "great lion". Its an idiomatic expression and can be used to describe a great man. Agaba is actually a masqurade with great esteem in my town but I will call my father tomorow and find out what "Idu" mean because there is another expression he uses " Idu n' Oba".
May be for you it's an idiomatic expression but in Igala it means Great Lion. You asked for the meaning. Why quibble when it's given? Languages are fluid and dynamic and for two ethnic groups who have from precolonial times been contiguous and interacted extensively: why should it alarm you if Igbo borrowed words from Igala. All languages borrow words from other languages.

Can you provide a source for this assertion:
NRI PRIEST:
Nop,Igala originated from Eri.

I 'd like to look it up.

okeyxyz:
So what if he doesn't know the igbo word "Idu", it doesn't disqualify him as igbo, nor does it disqualify "Idu" as an igbo word.
Hold your horses. I hope you are not one of them ethnic jingoists. The logic of my sentence is quite clear. Are all words in Igbo of Igbo origin?
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by okeyxyz(m): 4:23am On Jul 17, 2012
aletheia:
Hold your horses. I hope you are not one of them ethnic jingoists. The logic of my sentence is quite clear. Are all words in Igbo of Igbo origin?

I don't give a "f**k" where the word comes from, I'm only pointing out your flawed reasoning. You can't say "idu" is not igbo because one igbo guy happens not to know what it means, simple. Now if that comes across to you as ethnic jingoism, then i'm not suprised your logic was flawed in the first place.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:34am On Jul 17, 2012
@aletheia,I read somewhere that "Onoja" the daughter of Eri married a man and they bore the Igalla tribe. Igala even have the ancient Nri four days of the week and also has the "Ogwugwu" and "Ikenga" deities which originated from Nri. These factors show a strong Nri origin.

So "Agaba" in Igala means great and " Idu" lion or is it the other way round. I have a good reason why I am askng all these. Bear with me.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:37am On Jul 17, 2012
okeyxyz:

I don't give a "f**k" where the word comes from, I'm only pointing out your flawed reasoning. You can't say "idu" is not igbo because one igbo guy happens not to know what it means, simple. Now if that comes across to you as ethnic jingoism, then i'm not suprised your logic was flawed in the first place.

He sounds offensive a bit.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by aletheia(m): 4:43am On Jul 17, 2012
okeyxyz:
You need to grow up. I can see you are an innately insecure fellow. Learn to be less insular and foul-mouthed.

NRI PRIEST: @aletheia,I read somewhere that "Onoja" the daughter of Eri married a man and they bore the Igalla tribe. Igala even have the ancient Nri four days of the week and also has the "Ogwugwu" and "Ikenga" deities which originated from Nri. These factors show a strong Nri origin.

So "Agaba" in Igala means great and " Idu" lion or is it the other way round. I have a good reason why I am askng all these. Bear with me.
You are right about the 4-day week &c. Agaba==Great, Idu==Lion. No worries man. No be fight. . .though some of your people think it is.

2 Likes

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by MOBBDEEP: 4:46am On Jul 17, 2012
okeyxyz:

So what are the differences?? can you describe "first class", "second class" & "third class" traditional ruler? where & when did these categorizations start, Was he first-class amongst nigerian traditional rulers or just first-class over his kingdom?? It's not making sense to me, I'd appreciate some answers.

There are 3 - grades classification system according to the Local Government Acts & Parliament namely
* Grade A (Presumely what populace refer to as 1st class)
* Grade B (2nd class/grade)
* Grade C (3rd grade)
The grading system determinants are solely, among others of less weight, :
* type of settlement ( is it a city, town, village, kingdom etc)
* size of the town in terms of geographical land mass & its population
* the socio-economical contribution of such settlement to the purse of the State-Government
* the historical perspective of such settlement.

The State-Ministry of LG Affairs & Chieftaincy-Titles sees to issues pertaining to this.
Do try to know the class which your king belongs next time you go home.

1 Like

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by okeyxyz(m): 5:30am On Jul 17, 2012
MOBBDEEP:
There are 3 - grades classification system according to the Local Government Acts & Parliament namely
* Grade C (3rd grade)
* the socio-economical contribution of such settlement to the purse of the State-Government

The State-Ministry of LG Affairs & Chieftaincy-Titles sees to issues pertaining to this.

Hmm, Interesting..,
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by teebadmus(m): 5:30am On Jul 17, 2012
I hope this is not another methuselah cos I av not heard of his contribution whether good or bad to d nigerian nation. Anyway, RIP king, i just hope he knew Christ before death snatched him.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by okeyxyz(m): 5:46am On Jul 17, 2012
teebadmus: I hope this is not another methuselah cos I av not heard of his contribution whether good or bad to d nigerian nation. Anyway, RIP king, i just hope he knew Christ before death snatched him.

So what has other traditional rulers contributed to nigeria??

1 Like

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:54am On Jul 17, 2012
okeyxyz:

So what has other traditional rulers contributed to nigeria??

Check out the late Olasore's contributions...
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by Ibangap(m): 5:55am On Jul 17, 2012
Eyaa, R.I.P. Was he on 2go? undecided grin grin
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by OneNaira6: 6:00am On Jul 17, 2012
102? shocked shocked May God grant me a long life as he did for Aliyu Obaje amen.

R.I.P to Attah.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by Acidosis(m): 6:02am On Jul 17, 2012
Ibanga p: Eyaa, R.I.P. Was he on 2go? undecided grin grin

nairaland!!!
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by deshclones(m): 6:04am On Jul 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Agaba idu in Anambra nay igbo land means a great masquerade...back in the olden days...Agaba idu used to be the biggest and the most respected masquerade in igboland...it comes óut twice a year...during the new yam festival and ofala...it was revered...such a pity civilisation has eroded nd nearly wiped off our rich culture...d only masquerade you see now are just iga nd ajipussy..and please do not argue and tell me wot of ijele...ijele is an ijele...it is NOT a masquerade...
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by phildon: 6:05am On Jul 17, 2012
ifeci:

Pls where is Moshood Abiola University again? can't find it on the internet.
May be the Uni is for d dead. (Abiola, Attah...)
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by phildon: 6:11am On Jul 17, 2012
MOBBDEEP:
* Grade C (3rd grade)

Crap! What xactly do they do? Sit on tall chair n face loyalists? Mtcheeeew!

2 Likes

Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by deshclones(m): 6:16am On Jul 17, 2012
phildon: Crap! What xactly do they do? Sit on tall chair n face loyalists? Mtcheeeew!

How old are you?.
Re: Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead by brownlord: 6:25am On Jul 17, 2012
Gen. Orumov:
If you're from kogi state or you attended UNILAG, you should know him. As you never knew he existed, it isn't bad. The things we don't know is way more than the things we know. We are not expected to know everything under the sun but the good thing is we learn new things everyday. Well, i believe you have known him now.

Bros em dey share money? abi na who won know am una dey find, abeg make e spirit park well jarre before i vex

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu Approves NNPC’s Request To Use Dividends To Pay Subsidy - SR / Full List Of All The States That Shared N388.304 Billion / PDP Govs, Leaders Work For Buhari’s Re-Election [New Telegraph EXCLUSIVE]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.