Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,992 members, 7,909,692 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 10:57 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (236329 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by olalekanba(m): 9:02am On Jul 21, 2014
Someone is offering me 750k for 98 535i tokunbo.

I have the following questions;

1. how reliable is BMW
2. I know 535i uses V8 engine, my fear is the fuel consumption
3. what is the resale value considering its V8
4. Can I get a good mechanic for the car in Lagos.

I live in Ogun State and work in Lagos and I drive mostly early in the morning and work late so I need a reliable car.

I also drives 05 V8 4runner the car is reliable but but I prefer sedan.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:40am On Jul 21, 2014
olalekanba: Someone is offering me 750k for 98 535i tokunbo.

1. how reliable is BMW

I live in Ogun State and work in Lagos and I drive mostly early in the morning and work late so I need a reliable car.

somehow, I like those little displacements with many cylinders, it's always good at the top end, talking about power...
though for this motor,the m62, I don't know so much but I think it's like every other BMW, reliable,provided you give it the required detailed maintenance.
fuel consumption would be good for the little v8,
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Jacksolo4me(m): 12:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
Always wanted to lay my hands on one...say anyone here know if the bmw e92 m3 lime rock edition could be had in for just over 12 mil?...I saw an e92 copy look alike.with the front splitter n rear trunk lip....

Here's da car I'm referring to

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2014
Jacksolo4me: Always wanted to lay my hands on one...say anyone here know if the bmw e92 m3 lime rock edition could be had in for just over 12 mil?...I saw an e92 copy look alike.with the front splitter n rear trunk lip....

Here's da car I'm referring to
that's going to cost you alot of money...it's possible, even the 1987 Porsche can be had with approx. 7000miles,original. Saw one on eBay.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Jacksolo4me(m): 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2014
yungboss:
that's going to cost you alot of money...it's possible, even the 1987 Porsche can be had with approx. 7000miles,original. Saw one on eBay.

Yeah that's going to be one very long hard years of saving....I guess a regular e92 coupe with look alike should do with a supercharger n an akrapovic exhaust with a vorsteiner bodykit...

Don't we all wish we had Oil money!!!!
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
olalekanba: Someone is offering me 750k for 98 535i tokunbo.

1. how reliable is BMW

you got the wrong Info bro, BMWs dont do Vs, the only DO Ls and i can tell you the Engine would be L6 nothing clost to V8 and your 4runner, what the Engine capacity? is it 4ltrs? or 4 litrs?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
adeniyisavage: Hi all my beemer pals.
I have a major issue with my e46 323 engine.
I notice a lot of thick blue smoke whenever I rev my engine. It became worse with loss of power whenever I drive.
Recently the engine refused to start. It just cranks, a couple of experts came to check and told me the engine has 'lost compression'
To cut the long story short. They both independently recommended a change of engine albeit one said 'borale' and the other said a complete engine.
What I want to know is do I actually need a complete engine or will borale be ok?
Secondly how much does a borale and complete engine costs?
I will love to hear from anyone.
Typical, did they actually tell you what was wrong with your Engine B4 suggesting replacement?Did you scan your car?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 10:55pm On Jul 21, 2014
erico2k2:
you got the wrong Info bro, BMWs dont do Vs, the only DO Ls and i can tell you the Engine would be L6 nothing clost to V8 and your 4runner, what the Engine capacity? is it 4ltrs? or 4 litrs?

U are the wrong one here.
Bmw makes v engines. Get ur facts right b4 comin to confuse those who wants to learn.

The V engines in bmw are available in the 3.5L of E39s,4.0L, 4.4L, 4.8l, 5.0l, 6.0l.

They have v8, v10 and v12.

Other are straight and not L like u stated above.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by olalekanba(m): 9:24am On Jul 22, 2014
erico2k2:

My 4runner is V8 4.7L

Powertrain
Engine manufacturer:
BMW M62B35TU
Engine type:
spark-ignition 4-stroke
Fuel type:
petrol (gasoline)
Fuel system:
indirect injection
Charge system:
naturally aspirated
Valves per cylinder: 4
Valves timing:
VANOS (Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung)
Additional features:
Bosch Motronic M 7.2
Emission control:
3-way cat, Lambda-Sensor
Emission standard:
Cylinders alignment: V 8
Displacement: 3498 cm3 / 214.1 cui
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by olalekanba(m): 9:26am On Jul 22, 2014
xerotop:

Bmw makes v engines. Get ur facts right b4 comin to confuse those who wants to learn.

The V engines in bmw are available in the 3.5L of E39s,4.0L, 4.4L, 4.8l, 5.0l, 6.0l.

Can you help ans my question sir?

1. how reliable is BMW
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 11:50am On Jul 22, 2014
xerotop:

Yeh my bad my mind was tuned to the V6s
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 11:52am On Jul 22, 2014
olalekanba:

My 4runner is V8 4.7L

Powertrain
Engine manufacturer:
BMW M62B35TU
Engine type:
spark-ignition 4-stroke
Fuel type:
petrol (gasoline)
Fuel system:
indirect injection
Charge system:
naturally aspirated
Valves per cylinder: 4
Valves timing:
VANOS (Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung)
Additional features:
Bosch Motronic M 7.2
Emission control:
3-way cat, Lambda-Sensor
Emission standard:
Cylinders alignment: V 8
Displacement: 3498 cm3 / 214.1 cui
MayB Im not in touxh with makes and models theses days.are 4 Runners not made by toyota?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2014
olalekanba:
Can you help ans my question sir?
1. how reliable is BMW

Sorry 4 d belated response.
The 535i e39 is a very reliable car. Only if u give it what it wants. Good maintenance, regular and scheduled service. Parts are available but might not be as cheap as d japs.
If u r looking for fuel economy, that depends on what u need the car for. Long distance? Or regular lagos traffic.
For long distance, u will neva want to drive a 6 cylinder again.
Apapa traffic? U might end up regretting eva buyin it.

Reasale value? Only BMW lovers and freaks can know the value when u want to resell. Not d japs ppl.

Good technician in lagos? Sorry i dont stay in lagos anymore.

Becareful not to give any clown along the road side. If u do? U will wish u neva was able to spell the marque BMW.

Note: careless ppl dont drive BMW.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by olalekanba(m): 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
xerotop:

Sorry 4 d belated response.
The 535i e39 is a very reliable car. Only if u give it what it wants. Good maintenance, regular and scheduled service. Parts are available but might not be as cheap as d japs.
If u r looking for fuel economy, that depends on what u need the car for. Long distance? Or regular lagos traffic.
For long distance, u will neva want to drive a 6 cylinder again.
Apapa traffic? U might end up regretting eva buyin it.

Reasale value? Only BMW lovers and freaks can know the value when u want to resell. Not d japs ppl.

Good technician in lagos? Sorry i dont stay in lagos anymore.

Becareful not to give any clown along the road side. If u do? U will wish u neva was able to spell the marque BMW.

Note: careless ppl dont drive BMW.

I live at Akute and work in VI, I leave home early and work late.
Someone offered the BMW to me, it's never been registered in Nigeria.
The mileage is kidda high, it's about 200k KM.
The guy even offered me to pay in 2 or 3 installments.
What is holding me back is getting a good and reliable mechanic and the fact that it's eight cylinder .
I read the fuel ecomony to be as follows;
Fuel economy:

Fuel economy: in km / liter
Estimated fuel economy by constant speeds on top gear, steady ride without acceleration or braking, flat concrete or tarmac surface, no wind
by 50 km/h (31 mph):
by 60 km/h (37 mph): 12.9 km/l
by 70 km/h (44 mph): 12.8 km/l
by 80 km/h (50 mph): 12.5 km/l
by 90 km/h (56 mph): 12.2 km/l
by 100 km/h (62 mph): 11.8 km/l
by 120 km/h (75 mph): 10.8 km/l
by 140 km/h (87 mph): 9.6 km/l
by 160 km/h (100 mph): 8.5 km/l
by 180 km/h (112 mph): 7.4 km/l
by 200 km/h (124 mph): 6.1 km/l
by 220 km/h (137 mph): 5 km/l
by 240 km/h (149 mph):
by 260 km/h (161 mph):

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/economy/1998/273365/bmw_535i.html
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jodeci01: 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2014
Pls where do all Bmw Lagos lovers and owners fix their cars? Reputable technicians capable of fixing 2008 models and newer would be appreciated.
Thanks
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 25, 2014
jodeci01: Pls where do all Bmw Lagos lovers and owners fix their cars? Reputable technicians capable of fixing 2008 models and newer would be appreciated.
Thanks

Shagatti has a good one
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 12:16am On Jul 26, 2014
cne010:
Shagati has a good one

Classics and Dreams
Off Kudirat Abiola, Oregun
0*8*0*3 7*1*9 7*0*2*8
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by uboma(m): 8:42pm On Jul 29, 2014
The fuel pump on my E39 1998 model failed today. I'll be getting a replacement by tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of placing her on the market. I'll create the sales advert after fixing the fuel pump...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 12:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
lungwun: Thanks everyone for your kind words on my car. I really do love it but haven't taken her out for a spin in a while as my registration documents aren't out yet and I wouldn't want to contribute the Abuja police's Christmas chicken fund wink

In the new year[b] I will definitely be changing her colour to Imola Red or Alpine white[/b]. Still undecided.

Did you eventually change to either colour? Your post is from Dec last year
Pics?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 9:04am On Aug 02, 2014
Shagati:

Did you eventually change to either colour? Your post is from Dec last year
Pics?

Unfortunately not, I'm still rocking the Original StahlBlau colour.

I will get it painted someday, something exotic, maybe VAG Sepang Blue or BMW Sakhir Orange. Something really unique.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 11:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
Who can please help out a fellow Beemer owner here with regards to an E46 engine change/swap?

https://www.nairaland.com/1410627/bmw-325ci-e46-repairs-maintenance/3#25382684

His username is Idealguy
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by idealguy(m): 8:59am On Aug 11, 2014
Thanks Shagat.
Hello my fellow beemer lovers in the house, pls I need your advice, I want to replace the engine of my Beemer, what are the DOs and DONTs i need to know?

THE CAR DETAILS:
Make: BMW
Model: 318i (EUR)
E-series: E46
Series: 3
Type: SEDAN
Engine: M40 1.9 4 CYLINDERS
Drive: REAR
Transmission: MANUAL
Color: SILVER
Date of Manufacture: 1999

I'll really appreciate your various responses, as I'm doing it this weekend by God's Grace.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by uboma(m): 1:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
For those who may be interested, i am selling my E39. Click on the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1852691/1998-bmw-520i-sale-abuja
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by icon8: 6:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
Good day pals, I need your advice on converting a right-handed 2004 BMW 5 Series to "leftie", as I plan to send one over from the UK. Is this advisable or is it a bad idea? Thanks for your time.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
icon8: Good day pals, I need your advice on converting a right-handed 2004 BMW 5 Series to "leftie", as I plan to send one over from the UK. Is this advisable or is it a bad idea? Thanks for your time.

I would advice you convert before sending.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by idealguy(m): 10:12pm On Aug 16, 2014
NO RESPONSE YET? I BEG NA
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 11:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
idealguy: NO RESPONSE YET? I BEG NA

@ lungwun @ yungboss @ Siena @ CityNG
^^^^^^ Please help a brother out

Cheers
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 17, 2014
idealguy: Thanks Shagat.
Hello my fellow beemer lovers in the house, pls I need your advice, I want to replace the engine of my Beemer, what are the DOs and DONTs i need to know?

THE CAR DETAILS:
Make: BMW
Model: 318i (EUR)
E-series: E46
Series: 3
Type: SEDAN
Engine: M40 1.9 4 CYLINDERS
Drive: REAR
Transmission: MANUAL
Color: SILVER
Date of Manufacture: 1999

I'll really appreciate your various responses, as I'm doing it this weekend by God's Grace.

What are you replacing it with?

Another exact similar engine, another BMW engine from a different year or the nuclear reactor from the USS Enterprise grin

If it's a straight swap then it should be fairly straight forward with prudence and patience.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 17, 2014
icon8: Good day pals, I need your advice on converting a right-handed 2004 BMW 5 Series to "leftie", as I plan to send one over from the UK. Is this advisable or is it a bad idea? Thanks for your time.

If you don't already own the car and will need to source one then my advice will be to get the factory left.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by idealguy(m): 6:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
thanks CityNG, I am replacing it with another M40 1.9L engine, but I'm not so sure it will be the exact same year, I wouldn't mind getting a 2001 engine though.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:15pm On Aug 18, 2014
idealguy: thanks CityNG, I am replacing it with another M40 1.9L engine, but I'm not so sure it will be the exact same year, I wouldn't mind getting a 2001 engine though.
hey bro...it'll fit in. No hassles. If your Mechanic is competent, he'll do a good job.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by idealguy(m): 11:31pm On Aug 18, 2014
Thanks bro. I appreciate. shd get it done over the weekend, I'll give the feedback.
Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.