Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,862 members, 7,972,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:40 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (239965 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by izyoku: 11:08am On Dec 18, 2013
Well in all my years of dealing with cars the one set of cars I particularly try to avoid is flooded cars. My reason you can not particularly access a flooded car to know extent of the flood-water damage unlike an accident car u can access very easily and analyse your risk. The major complication I think flooded cars have is the electrical issues and in any case that for me is the most complicated issue any nigerian car owner can gropple with. Our car electricians knowledge is just not there yet except for very few you know their work.
In m assessment you have taken a risk I just hope its a well calculated one but I'd rather a accident car than a flood car. Best of luck bro
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by izyoku: 11:12am On Dec 18, 2013
@lungwun I can't take myeyes of your RIMs bro....they are simply dazzling. My E90 08 328i is here just wish I could change the rims. If I want to spend extra money am not sure. But this lungwun rims just simply too tempting
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 12:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
Emperoh:

E46. . . . . .can see you know this thing wella cos the XI trim, All wheel drive wasn't done with the E36.
Now, are these things i am hearing about the All wheel drive true?

[size=15pt]Sneak Peeks[/size] cheesy cheesy
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 12:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
Emperoh:

E46. . . . . .can see you know this thing wella cos the XI trim, All wheel drive wasn't done with the E36.

flooded cars may be expensive to fix, it seems yours has already been fixed...have you scanned the car yet?
you have been stalking the 325xi for a long time now smiley
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
izyoku: Well in all my years of dealing with cars the one set of cars I particularly try to avoid is flooded cars. My reason you can not particularly access a flooded car to know extent of the flood-water damage unlike an accident car u can access very easily and analyse your risk. The major complication I think flooded cars have is the electrical issues and in any case that for me is the most complicated issue any nigerian car owner can gropple with. Our car electricians knowledge is just not there yet except for very few you know their work.
In m assessment you have taken a risk I just hope its a well calculated one but I'd rather a accident car than a flood car. Best of luck bro

Well, let's just say the risk was calculated to an extent.
But in all, i will not buy a car of this record for a client. 2 things made me buy this car.
Of course, one was pricing. I was in search for a 2003 525 and then ran into this.

I ran a VIN check and there was no clear cut explanation of what happened/
I looked at it inside out and saw it has been tidied up even though it seems more cosmetic than real repair.
The seller was asking for $6600 on Copart. I waited for auction and won the bid at half the price quoted. He made me 4 offer and i was not bulging. In the end he awarded me the car. At $3400?! It was a damn good buy! Saved me about $1000 from what i initially budgeted for a car.

I do set that aside in case of any eventualities. Hopefully, i don't get caught up in the new automotive policy stuff.
I will share pictures which will help us better analyse the situation

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
Emperoh:

But in all, i will not buy a car of this record for a client. 2 things made me buy this car.
Of course, one was pricing. I was in search for a 2003 525 and then ran into this.

I looked at it inside out and saw it has been tidied up even though it seems more cosmetic than real repair.
The seller was asking for $6600 on Copart. I waited for auction and won the bid at half the price quoted. He made me 4 offer and i was not bulging. In the end he awarded me the car. At $3400?! It was a damn good buy! Saved me about $1000 from what i initially budgeted for a car.

I do set that aside in case of any eventualities. Hopefully, i don't get caught up in the new automotive policy stuff.
that's like a give away at that price, lets so the cosmetics of the car sir...
I don't know about the possible issues of the xi's, but a flooded car is s doubtful purchase for me...don't you think you may likely have issues much later? You getting it for a client or for yourself...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
Emperoh:

I don't know about the possible issues of the xi's, but a flooded car is s doubtful purchase for me...don't you think you may likely have issues much later? You getting it for a client or for yourself...?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
Emperoh:

Emperoh:

Are u in my mind?

What are the likely issues i should look forward to?

I will share pictures of the car once i confirm payment to Copart

Finally,

I had a scare. Someone warned me against buying the xi trim; All wheel drive.
He says the gear is quite complicated. Not just that, it is said to be scarce and costs about N700k

Can someone letter me more on this?

The E46 xi has the same engine and transmission with d regular rear wheel drive.
Only difference is that the xi drives on shaft which is alil expensive to replace.
The good news: u dont get to replace often cos its does not get broken easily.
I once heard the xi is faster than the rear wheel. Not sure.
But uf dats true, its a plus for u.

I must confess u get mind. Cant venture a flooded BMW.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
yungboss:
I don't know about the possible issues of the xi's, but a flooded car is s doubtful purchase for me...don't you think you may likely have issues much later? You getting it for a client or for yourself...

Bros, i got it for personal use.
This is a huge gamble for me really.

But let me share the pictures and let us assess!

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
xerotop:
The E46 xi has the same engine and transmission with d regular rear wheel drive.
Only difference is that the xi drives on shaft which is alil expensive to replace.
The good news: u dont get to replace often cos its does not get broken easily.

The guy who briefed me says it is scarce and costs about N700k.
Now i don't know how true that is!!

xerotop:
I must confess u get mind. Cant venture a flooded BMW.

I hope i don't regret the decision.
But the price was too good to reject.
The fact the owner wanted $6600 initially sought of gave me an idea the repair might have been properly done.
Also, it was not salt water. I for run without looking back cheesy cheesy grin grin
It is 50-50 though

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
More

I wouldn't have bought this car if it didn't show me runs and drives
I wouldn't have bought it if were salt water
I wouldn't have bought it if it cost more than $3500
As long as i don't see a bad engine and transmission, i am likely to grapple with issues.
It is for use in Abuja. What i need now is a good BMW tech

What do you guys think? These are all the pictures i have

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 1:12am On Dec 19, 2013
Emperoh: More

I wouldn't have bought this car if it didn't show me runs and drives
I wouldn't have bought it if were salt water
I wouldn't have bought it if it cost more than $3500
As long as i don't see a bad engine and transmission, i am likely to grapple with issues.
It is for use in Abuja. What i need now is a good BMW tech

What do you guys think? These are all the pictures i have

nice one bro the interior looks very clean. no mind us wey dey judge u about flooded car grin, most of us dnt even know the true history of our cars after all i heard even this white guys move states and re-write car titles these days. wish u happy and problem less usage
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:49am On Dec 19, 2013
Wow!
lovely ride, one of the finest I ve seen. Interior is like mine, I like the jet black color on it...its a give away for the price, I hope it is as good as the price went for.
it is true the xi's aren't so common, I see a couple of them here in port Harcourt, saw one for sale somewhere at N1,700,000.00 a few months ago. I think it is good car,but you have to doo a thorough check on the car...especially on the electrics,check the wires too...the electrical harness,the dme...also know what and what not,went wrong as given to you by the seller...goodluck on your purchase...pls keep updating us..
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 1:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
Emperoh:

The guy who briefed me says it is scarce and costs about N700k.
Now i don't know how true that is!!

I hope i don't regret the decision.
But the price was too good to reject.
The fact the owner wanted $6600 initially sought of gave me an idea the repair might have been properly done.
Also, it was not salt water. I for run without looking back cheesy cheesy grin grin
It is 50-50 though

The shaft is not so expensive. Its about 60 to 70k for the front pair.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
xerotop:

The shaft is not so expensive. Its about 60 to 70k for the front pair.
Hello xerotop, have you used an xi sedan before? Thought they were somewhat slower than the regular set-up RWD.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 2:44pm On Dec 19, 2013
yungboss:
Hello xerotop, have you used an xi sedan before? Thought they were somewhat slower than the regular set-up RWD.

No i have not. Someone told me the xi is faster. Which i doubt.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by godssonibk: 2:49pm On Dec 19, 2013
The Xi is faster than RWD
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by johnsolath: 8:58am On Dec 20, 2013
Hello Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good experienced bmw mechanic in Ibadan (Oyo State).

thanks in advance.......
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by scotcom: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2013
Pls I have a question for BMW experts,I met a guy at the mechanics workshop,who had his oil pumm failed for about 3 times within a month.Even the mechanic is confuse as to what could be wrong,pls can anyone suggest what could be the reason?the engine is a 318 n42 engine
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 22, 2013
is that friend u?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xcolanto(m): 4:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Really lovely and clean ride @xerotop. If u had not mentioned it was flooded, we probably would never had known. However u didn't put up a pic of the engine. wink
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lungwun(m): 6:31pm On Dec 22, 2013
Anyone know where I can get the cassette tape adaptor thingamajig to enable me plug my phone into its 3.5mm socket and enjoy tunes that way?

In Abuja preferably. Been to UTC in area 10 and they had no idea what I was on about.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:48am On Dec 23, 2013
Good day bemmer pundits in the house. Would have opened a new thread on my search for a 2003 E53 X5 but since you all reside here I'll need ur help with it. Its been weeks now on deciding which of the early E53 model (4.4i or 3.0i) is cost effective as regards to maintenance and spareparts (never mind the fuel economy).

Based on my search the M62 (4.4i) V8 2000-2003 and the M54 (3.0i) I6 2005 are the most reliable. This are just my own findings online so would not mind any one with personal experience.

While I conducted my search I came 2 a conclusion that no matter the car there are both bad and good reviews about it. I found pple who praised a 2006 4.8si while some regretted ever buying a 3.0i, that's y am keeping my mind open on both engine.

Also found out about the easy faulty transmission system that may even cost as much as half the price of the used car 2 replace which is not good news at all. No wonder a forum member was saying that every1 should stay clear of the V8 because of the one's he saw been chopped -up as spareparts in ladipo(lagos).

Please as you advice me have it in mind the car will NOT be a daily driver, its mostly for highway and long trips. And please dnt advice me 2 get a lexus RX of merc ML. Tnx
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 12:49pm On Dec 23, 2013
Gee2728: Good day bemmer pundits in the house. Would have opened a new thread on my search for a 2003 E53 X5 but since you all reside here I'll need ur help with it. Its been weeks now on deciding which of the early E53 model (4.4i or 3.0i) is cost effective as regards to maintenance and spareparts (never mind the fuel economy).

Based on my search the M62 (4.4i) V8 2000-2003 and the M54 (3.0i) I6 2005 are the most reliable. This are just my own findings online so would not mind any one with personal experience.

While I conducted my search I came 2 a conclusion that no matter the car there are both bad and good reviews about it. I found pple who praised a 2006 4.8si while some regretted ever buying a 3.0i, that's y am keeping my mind open on both engine.

Also found out about the easy faulty transmission system that may even cost as much as half the price of the used car 2 replace which is not good news at all. No wonder a forum member was saying that every1 should stay clear of the V8 because of the one's he saw been chopped -up as spareparts in ladipo(lagos).

Please as you advice me have it in mind the car will NOT be a daily driver, its mostly for highway and long trips. And please dnt advice me 2 get a lexus RX of merc ML. Tnx
because of my concern generally for autos, I'll go for the manual, be it the 4.4 or 3.0...however, I have not been able to get in touch with my Mechanic, time has not been there for me to go to his shop, I lost his contacts when I lost my phone recently. He drives the M54 3.0...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2013
yungboss:
because of my concern generally for autos, I'll go for the manual, be it the 4.4 or 3.0...however, I have not been able to get in touch with my Mechanic, time has not been there for me to go to his shop, I lost his contacts when I lost my phone recently. He drives the M54 3.0...

Off all the one's have seen online for sale only one was a manual shift. Its such a rarity. Finding one is like looking for a 'needle in a hay stack'.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GrownMan(m): 7:33pm On Dec 23, 2013
Not really a pro like yungboss or Sienna and the rest but my research shows that auto-mechanics in Nigeria generally struggle with the 4.4L engine. I would go for the 3.0 as I feel it will do the same job and at least is more understood by those available to work on the vehicle should you need to. All that said, na you go really know wetin you fit carry and especially if you have an auto-mech that understands the engine. Good luck m8.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by izyoku: 10:03pm On Dec 23, 2013
My E90 finally got out of the ports today. I sat inside it and I was like waoh so now I understand why its a BMW. The leather is incomparable to mywife's CRV leather....Car is just waoh, lovely and the size just so cute....not had anything excite me in such a longwhile but this car has.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:54pm On Dec 23, 2013
izyoku: My E90 finally got out of the ports today. I sat inside it and I was like waoh so now I understand why its a BMW. The leather is incomparable to mywife's CRV leather....Car is just waoh, lovely and the size just so cute....not had anything excite me in such a longwhile but this car has.
congrats man, congrats...is it a 6 cyl? Lets get a glimpse of her...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by godssonibk: 12:27am On Dec 24, 2013
All E90 are sedan series3 with 6 cylinder except the E90 M3, The 335i are turbo charged.
yungboss:
congrats man, congrats...is it a 6 cyl? Lets get a glimpse of her...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:47am On Dec 24, 2013
godssonibk: All E90 are sedan series3 with 6 cylinder except the E90 M3, The 335i are turbo charged.
nope...there's the 316i, 318i and 320i all a four's, you have diesel versions too
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by samuelk(m): 8:42am On Dec 24, 2013
my sad story.... After church service on sunday, I pulled over at an auto store to get a can of R134 to topup my AC since it was low on gas...i suspected a tiny leak since i parked it while i travelled. While i left my engine running with the bonnet released for the guy to recharge the system, i took a walk about some metres away to answer a phone call only to return and discover that the guy has been draining the gas left in my system all the while in the name of 'letting out the air' like he said. To cut the story short, he then proceeded to refill the system and behold, very warm air from my AC vents. This caused a long argument and other observers had to come in to settle the dispute. We then reached an agreement to fix it the next day since there was no AC technician to diagnose it around.
Went back the next day only to be told that my dryer was damaged. Replaced that and the system picked up again and worked fine for some hours only for it to go warm again. Returned to the workshop to test for leaks in the lines and confirmed that there was none and it was then traced to the evaporator. Now i have to replace my evaporator but the sad part is that my dashboard has to comeout for it to be replaced. sad sad
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 2:23pm On Dec 24, 2013
samuelk: my sad story.... After church service on sunday, I pulled over at an auto store to get a can of R134 to topup my AC since it was low on gas...i suspected a tiny leak since i parked it while i travelled. While i left my engine running with the bonnet released for the guy to recharge the system, i took a walk about some metres away to answer a phone call only to return and discover that the guy has been draining the gas left in my system all the while in the name of 'letting out the air' like he said. To cut the story short, he then proceeded to refill the system and behold, very warm air from my AC vents. This caused a long argument and other observers had to come in to settle the dispute. We then reached an agreement to fix it the next day since there was no AC technician to diagnose it around.
Went back the next day only to be told that my dryer was damaged. Replaced that and the system picked up again and worked fine for some hours only for it to go warm again. Returned to the workshop to test for leaks in the lines and confirmed that there was none and it was then traced to the evaporator. Now i have to replace my evaporator but the sad part is that my dashboard has to comeout for it to be replaced. sad sad

So sad brother. Those guys have a way of not minding there biz. Nxt time ur A/C goes warm pls check the cabin filter b4 any gas issue comes up. Had a similar experience with my kompressor only 2 find out the cabin filter was blocked with dirt.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.