Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,164 members, 7,890,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:09 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310516 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 1:10am On Jan 06, 2013
olarwarlay: Pls everyone, I have a question to ask.
After changing my mind about VIU, Yvete and others said I have to write the SAT and TOEFL exams but the problem now is I don't know how to go about dat. The next TOEFL exams in lagos is on d 25th of January and I dunno abt SAT yet, but I want to enroll for the Fall session. Do U think I can still meet up or should I just go for another session? I learnt the SAT exams takes close to four months for preparation... Please advise Me 'coz I know You all have gone thru dis stage before. I will be applying as an Undergraduate to study Business Administration. Thanks for your help always.

You need SAT & TOEFL for undergrad. Look up the meaning of the acronyms. Find out what your school requires from prospective applicants.

If you mention my name, I assume that you'd want to hear from me, the truth, RAW. I must say that you've got some work to do with the gap. Seems like you've been out of school for a while. Work on that. Timing is not important right now. Don't be in such a rush to write SAT unprepared. Study, plan ahead and nail it. Good luck.

Some people just need to STFU. Very annoying posts this evening. If you'd love to return to Nigeria, that's your business and nobody else. Come to the US, start your business and employ people to work for you. Let's see how USCIS grants your green card request. Not every degree gets sponsorship for H1b after graduation. Don't get a degree in Pol. Sci and expect anyone to file for you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 1:12am On Jan 06, 2013
olarwarlay:

Okay, but how is that possible since I have not applied to any other school after the VIU ish?
Do I need to apply to the schools now and get the scores sent to them after the exams?. Thanks.
Yes
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 1:19am On Jan 06, 2013
Yvete:

You need SAT & TOEFL for undergrad. Look up the meaning of the acronyms. Find out what your school requires from prospective applicants.

If you mention my name, I assume that you'd want to hear from me, the truth, RAW. I must say that you've got some work to do with the gap. Seems like you've been out of school for a while. Work on that. Timing is not important right now. Don't be in such a rush to write SAT unprepared. Study, plan ahead and nail it. Good luck.

Some people just need to STFU. Very annoying posts this evening. If you'd love to return to Nigeria, that's your business and nobody else. Come to the US, start your business and employ people to work for you. Let's see how USCIS grants your green card request. Not every degree gets sponsorship for H1b after graduation. Don't get a degree in Pol. Sci and expect anyone to file for you. s

Mama di mama grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 1:27am On Jan 06, 2013
Very very annoying, you see someone quoting years outside school for me like I'm a yesterday baby who is fortunate to start MS now. Finished BS 2003, if not my younger brother, it will be a bit off. Some just like running mouths when chance is given to them. If children of the wealthy and others that studied and stay back are on escape route, then what we call those that didn't even step school for 1 min? BullSh!t! I'm pissed.

@ ferdimako,

Even those that are stinkingly rich are here not going back to work in Nigeria, how much more someone with just a job in Nigeria. I worked in institute of medical research for 6 years too even with my BS, they want me back but nothing Nigeria got to offer in term of facility for medical research and career breakthrough in science.....instead, things are taking abroad just as we see rich guys going abroad for just diagnoses.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 1:27am On Jan 06, 2013
Yvete:

Don't get a degree in Pol. Sci and expect anyone to file for you. s

grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by olarwarlay(m): 1:30am On Jan 06, 2013
[quote author=Yvete]

Thanks so much Ma'am, I actually did a diploma in law program in between and as since been working as a branch controller with my brothers telecoms business which is why I want to go for a degree in business administration.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by olarwarlay(m): 1:32am On Jan 06, 2013
Yvete:

Some people just need to STFU. Very annoying posts this evening. If you'd love to return to Nigeria, that's your business and nobody else. Come to the US, start your business and employ people to work for you. Let's see how USCIS grants your green card request. Not every degree gets sponsorship for H1b after graduation. Don't get a degree in Pol. Sci and expect anyone to file for you. s

Thanks so much Ma'am, I actually did a diploma in law program in between and as since been working as a branch controller with my brothers telecoms business which is why I want to go for a degree in business administration.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 1:41am On Jan 06, 2013
This thread is gradually turning into twitter with all the back and forths!
Last I checked, everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. I honestly do not know why someone would try and shove his opinion down another person's throat. If u wanna come down to Nigeria after your studies....Go for it!!! But do not force other people to toe the same line with you. And as someone on here said, "We'll only take you serious after 2 years and you disclose your location as Nigeria!"
Capisce?!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 1:48am On Jan 06, 2013
olarwarlay:

With an Associates in Law, please do not apply as a freshman. Apply as International transfer. I'm kinda tired right now to write much tonight. Got a cough from munching these cashew nuts from Nigeria. grin Do these first and be creative with your gap.

@ Kpolli: I need to find you a good Nigerian wife in the US. Sweet like pie. Haha! Why go to sokoto when what you're looking for is in your shokoto.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Snazzygirl: 1:54am On Jan 06, 2013
Blood dey hot today o, pls calm down peeps.

@ Imperiouxx, don't post any comment here till u've calmed down......thats an order! grin

@Yvete, don't post any comment that expresses ur anger ......that's also an order! grin

For those that are very tempted to reply 'angry' posts', pls read ur comments 5times so as to get rid of all offensive words before u post cz anger begets anger and am sure we've all had enuf 4 a day......cheers grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:02am On Jan 06, 2013
Yvete:

With an Associates in Law, please do not apply as a freshman. Apply as International transfer. I'm kinda tired right now to write much tonight. Got a cough from munching these cashew nuts that mamacita from Nigeria. grin Do these first and be creative with your gap.

@ Kpolli: I need to find you a good Nigerian wife in the US. Sweet like pie unlike me. Haha! Why go to sokoto when what you're looking for is in your shokoto.

Let the search begin

Ms Nas: This thread is gradually turning into twitter with all the back and forths!
Last I checked, everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion. I honestly do not know why someone would try and shove his opinion down another person's throat. If u wanna come down to Nigeria after your studies....Go for it!!! But do not force other people to toe the same line with you. And as someone on here said, "We'll only take you serious after 2 years and you disclose your location as Nigeria!"
Capisce?!

So ur one of these back n forth twitter girls.....

Snazzygirl: Blood dey hot today o, pls calm down peeps.

@ Imperiouxx, don't post any comment here till u've calmed down......thats an order! grin

@Yvete, don't post any comment that expresses ur anger ......that's also an order! grin

For those that are very tempted to reply 'angry' posts', pls read ur comments 5times so as to get rid of all offensive words before u post cz anger begets anger and am sure we've all had enuf 4 a day......cheers grin

This started when they called me n imperrioux soft
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Snazzygirl: 2:07am On Jan 06, 2013
@Kpolli, that word "soft" must av really provoked u cheesy ......read ur earlier comments ...lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 2:09am On Jan 06, 2013
[quote author=kpolli]

So ur one of these back n forth twitter girls.....

Uhmm, Kpolli...why would you classify me as such
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:10am On Jan 06, 2013
Snazzygirl: @Kpolli, that word "soft" must av really provoked u cheesy ......read ur earlier comments ...lol

I thought I was the calm one out of the trio shocked

I didn't provoke naaa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 2:12am On Jan 06, 2013
Snazzygirl: Blood dey hot today o, pls calm down peeps.

Yes ma. Officially in time-out! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
@ MsNas has finally come out of hiding!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:13am On Jan 06, 2013
[quote author=Ms Nas][/quote]

Emmm.... Cos everyone on twitter is a back n forth human wink

N pls what's the definition of a back n forth person sef
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 2:18am On Jan 06, 2013
ferdimako:

Everybody wants to work for someone. When u bring in a job to America that employs 7 Americans...that is a clear path to PR or Citizenship.

Which job are you bringing to America? Your application will only be considered if you invest $1million or atleast $500,000 [/b]in the business and employing at least [b]10 qualified workers

iykrion:

Nigeria is a gold mine waiting to be tapped. With an American degree, the sky is my limit. I did research this b4 deciding to invest millions of naira in this venture. FYI, I graduated from the University in 2003 and did my first MA in Strategic Studies in 2007. So, I am not looking for an escape route. So, u can see that I am not a child as u may assume.

No one is a kid. It may interest you that I also have a Masters in Applied Geology from a reputable University in Nigeria before I came here. I waited endlessly to get a job but couldn't get one. That was when the idea of coming to the US for a second masters degree came up. FYI, only luck aside connection can grab you a job in Nigeria.

Exxon Mobil recruit Nigerian graduate students every year to go work for them back home. Many of us went for the interview in Houston with our very good GPAs and graduating from very good schools as well. It may also interest you that I graduated from the prestigious University of Texas, Austin with a CGPA of 3.89 out of a possible 4. I had a very strong 2.1 undergrad GPA as well. So, I see no reason why I shouldn't get the job. Many of my friends who are so smart didn't get it too. Another example is a 1st class student from Nigeria who attended the well respected Herriot-Watt University in the UK and graduated with a good grade. As a matter of fact, he roamed the streets of Lagos for a year before I advised him to apply to UT Austin for a PhD. He is entering his second semester here now and already got a summer internship with Shell Oil - Are you surprised? Please don't be, it is because America is a diamond mine (atleast if you can call Naija a gold mine). I won't be surprised if this guy is eventually retained or decided to go to a better company at the end. You can't get this rare opportunity in Nigeria.

Do you just want many of us to take the risk after our graduation to go back home hoping we will get a job all because we have an American degree? Do you know how many people who have that too in Nigeria. Infact, a foreign degree is not a biggie any more in Naija. I will only go back to Naija after graduation if I secure a job already from here that needs me to go and work in Nigeria.

A wise man won't just go home upon graduation thinking his America degree will fetch him a job. Also, I don't see America as an escape route for someone who could go to school for 2 years and get a good job after. He/she is only reaping the fruit of his/her hard labour. Even the holy bible confirmed it that "there is no food for a lazy man". The same bible teaches us to "work and pray". You are entitled to your own opinion anyway but please keep it to yourself. Many of us came from a wealthy home and didn't brag about it. You are free to go back home whenever you want. Speak for yourself only. Peace!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 2:29am On Jan 06, 2013
Yvete:

Yes ma. Officially in time-out! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
@ MsNas has finally come out of hiding!
Lmbo! I wasn't hiding before na! cheesy Just that I was forced to say something, the guy that did all that write up about STEM and all that shit really messed things up. I'm a Physics major and he said I'm at a disadvantage of getting an H-IB. As you always do lipsrsealed
kpolli:

Emmm.... Cos everyone on twitter is a back n forth human wink

N pls what's the definition of a back n forth person sef
Lol. Oga, if you spend time on twitter, you'll see that the platform has been turned into something else. One argument/fight is always going on, cheesy cheesy
A back and forth person doesn't stick to his/her lane! Always bobbing like a pendulum. wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:35am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas:
Lmbo! I wasn't hiding before na! cheesy Just that I was forced to say something, the guy that did all that write up about STEM and all that shit really messed things up. I'm a Physics major and he said I'm at a disadvantage of getting an H-IB. As you always do lipsrsealed

Don't mind him, yes your at a disadvantage but if your gifted, sky is your limit.... I know ppl who got MBA on H1-B and they got it almost immediately.. NY is known for hiring MBA ppl

Ms Nas:
Lol. Oga, if you spend time on twitter, you'll see that the platform has been turned into something else. One argument/fight is always going on, cheesy cheesy
A back and forth person doesn't stick to his/her lane! Always bobbing like a pendulum. wink

Then that's the perfect definition of everyone on twitter minus me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 2:37am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas:

Don't quote me madam.....lol. I only said the percentage is lower compared to other majors. Afterall, I didn't make it up, I posted my source.

However, God and luck play a vital role in all we do. I wish you the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:40am On Jan 06, 2013
ferdimako:

So u can see he is funding his studies? Some people are well off here already or will be when they return. My brother is bringing in a condition we return after studies.He's well-off here and doesn't see the need to roam abroad.I don't think I will kill myself to live abroad ooo.Get d citizenship and move on.

I can't stop laughing so wide at you. Both webstradamus and Square65 had jobs in Nigeria and were in best position to self sponsor during their visa preparation, I was one of those who told them not to put self sponsored. It's not about mouthing but is Nigeria your worth? Job insecurity is there. When you're done let say you get a $3,000/mo paid job + health insurance + opportunity to attend various international professional conferences would you give Nigeria a consideration with just N300,000/mo (thats even if you know people) + infinite dream of attending just South African conferences which you might not even be in best position to represent your company for the next 6 years. Green card is secondary about working in US, pay is the main. Those that willing to work in US know their worths and US didn't say they are too much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 2:42am On Jan 06, 2013
kpolli:

Don't mind him, yes your at a disadvantage but if your gifted, sky is your limit.... I know ppl who got MBA on H1-B and they got it almost immediately.. NY is known for hiring MBA ppl

You guys shouldn't misinterprete my comments please. I was only talking about percentage. Afterall, I know of someone who has her Masters in Social Work and got her H-1B too. I also know some Engineers and Geologists who are still looking for jobs as well.

Like I said......Luck! Luck!! Luck!!!

May GOD help us all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 2:45am On Jan 06, 2013
kpolli:

Kpolli, did I just hear MBA? cheesy MBA kini? I'm a physics major o. Wetin I wan take MBA do, Lmaoooo!
geodarmy:

Don't quote me madam.....lol. I only said the percentage is lower compared to other majors. Afterall, I didn't make it up, I posted my source.

However, God and luck play a vital role in all we do. I wish you the best.

Yeah, that's true...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 2:48am On Jan 06, 2013
Also, kpolli....I've removed the toga of physics from my existence o. I'm not applying for anything starting with Phy.. grin cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:49am On Jan 06, 2013
geodarmy:

You guys shouldn't misinterprete my comments please. I was only talking about percentage. Afterall, I know of someone who has her Masters in Social Work and got her H-1B too. I also know some Engineers and Geologists who are still looking for jobs as well.

Like I said......Luck! Luck!! Luck!!!

May GOD help us all.

Well ur earlier comments has already put fear in a lot of ppl here... So the damage is already done

They won't read the God/luck part, they would note the stem part especially nursing... U know how Nigerians think...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 2:49am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas: Also, kpolli....I've removed the toga of physics from my existence o. I'm not applying for anything starting with Phy.. grin cheesy cheesy

Madam: What about Geophysics?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:51am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas:

Kpolli, did I just hear MBA? cheesy MBA kini? I'm a physics major o. Wetin I wan take MBA do, Lmaoooo!

Yeah, that's true...

I only used that as an example that its not only STEM who get H1-B

Plus physics is science young lady
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 2:52am On Jan 06, 2013
kpolli:

Well ur earlier comments has already put fear in a lot of ppl here... So the damage is already done

They won't read the God/luck part, they would note the stem part especially nursing... U know how Nigerians think...

I won't call that a damage. I am only keeping it 100% so that we can can do our homework and prepare.

That is just the bitter truth.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:52am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas: Also, kpolli....I've removed the toga of physics from my existence o. I'm not applying for anything starting with Phy.. grin cheesy cheesy

Y u dey fear? So what do u wanna do now? Nursing?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:56am On Jan 06, 2013
geodarmy:

I won't call that a damage. I am only keeping it 100% so that we can can do our homework and prepare.

That is just the bitter truth.

Well when there are more nurses than patients, shey the ppl that u made switch careers would still agree wiv u

Which bitter truth? Sorry to say anyone that came to this country and switched cos of situation can at best end up comfortable and not rich... How many nurses can set up successful businesses?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 2:57am On Jan 06, 2013
geodarmy:

Madam: What about Geophysics?
Lol. NO
kpolli:

Y u dey fear? So what do u wanna do now? Nursing?
Lord, NO. I actually know what I want and I'm going for it. Tenz
kpolli:

I only used that as an example that its not only STEM who get H1-B

Plus physics is science young lady
You're really telling me that? cheesy Bruh, I know all that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 2:57am On Jan 06, 2013
Ms Nas:

You're perfectly fine with physics. Don't worry about it. Having witnessed frustration from many friends here owing to the H1b thing, I always advise people to major in something marketable in the US. I know Nigerians with MBAs that are doing well and know a lot that have moved back to Nigeria with frustration. The question is, what concentration or focus did you major in? Think about it this way, its you against the pool of applicants most of which are authorized to work. How do I make myself worthy of sponsorship by my Employer? That's the idea. With your degree, you'll be alright.

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.