Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,869 members, 7,876,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:26 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309984 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:52pm On Jan 26, 2013
kpolli: Is there a set if Nigerians that like it?

Of course there are! Helllloo?? grin
LSU is packed with akata-rized Nigerians, right? Or maybe first-generation Nigerian-Americans?
SOS! Mamacita is serious about her accent. I heard her and my brother discussing - every T is a D not an R. Haha! I was like WTH shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:52pm On Jan 26, 2013
OjaP: grin I am far from that. I can never act akataish*....lol. I am just keeping it 100% with that guy sis. You get what I'm saying?gringrin;grin
I should be in TX in 2weeks...grin

Sure about that? smiley
What part of TX are you visiting? Work-related stuff or you coming to party?? wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 5:17pm On Jan 26, 2013
Heyy Guys smiley

Took the GRE today. Finished about 15 minutes ago.... Met Bukahands at the centre tho he finished before I did & left earlier (How did you do bro?).

Essays were alright, Argument task was easier.

First verbal & Quant sections were quite lovely.

2nd Verbal & Quants sections were far less lovely...almost crazy.lol

3rd Verbal (the unscored section I guess) was in between.

At the end of it all.....

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

my undergrad cgpa is 3.47 sad

Can anyone please suggest schools that lay more emphasis on GRE than CGPA in giving assistantships, scholarships(maybe) e.t.c.
Intended major -Public health/Env. Health & related areas sha.

I chose Indiana Uni Bloomington, Uni of Cincinnati, Northern Illinois Uni & Kent state Uni.

Thanks guys. To those studying for the GRE, keep studying & practicing, forcus on your weak areas. You'll do very well.

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....
Visa - we never reach there grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 5:18pm On Jan 26, 2013
Yvete:

Of course there are! Helllloo?? grin
LSU is packed with akata-rized Nigerians, right? Or maybe first-generation Nigerian-Americans?
SOS! Mamacita is serious about her accent. I heard her and my brother discussing - every T is a D not an R. Haha! I was like WTH?? shocked shocked

Yes oh na why I can't toast them here cry cry .... But some are still real tho

She better stop it, na ppl wey no sabi english she wan imitate...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
shoggie:

Sorry for late response,I have been dancing azonto to God since last week.I am back on the blog now.
I have decided to deffer my admission as suggested by my school but the extension letter serve me well for embassy
request for my Visa.I was not even with the extension letter as at the time I went for my interview & the VO knew that the date on my I-20 was due and did not make reference to it until the last minute after an enthralling conversation.

I wrote three pages out of the whole interview & I decided to stop because it was such a long & wonderful interview.
To my surprise, there was no single reference to my first interview.
I am convinced very well that adequate preparation with fervent prayer set stage for a sucessful interview.

Why should you be surprise about the bold sentence. They don't go back to your first interview because it's already in front of them with reason for your denial. Unless in a case they just asked to test your sincerity. Also getting visa with just few days expired I-20 is possible this is not my first time of standing with this claim for whoever like to challenge it. Mind if I beg you for a small errand in Nigeria before coming..... jo mafi se'binu.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:34pm On Jan 26, 2013
Yvete:
Oops Oops Oops!
Don't wanna wake up to this caption on CNN "Is Nigerian student Anthonymighty really mighty for punching a roommie?" grin
... America teaches you to use your tongue to curse (verbal judo) while your fist sits in your pocket. Don't ever get physical.

Just like "Goddamnit! just shout the fucck up, I don't give a fucck about what's wrong with your fucck decision. If you don't like the room, get your motherfucckin a ss out of the house or you go to hell or you kiss my royal a ss" lipsrsealed - Typical American when annoyed.

Anthony learn only the good words and no fight because police dey work 24/7 and 911 isn't hard to dial by a 2 years old kid. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:45pm On Jan 26, 2013
kpolli:

Yes oh na why I can't toast them here cry cry .... But some are still real tho

Abegi, American English is the sweetest.....no grammar hunting, chastising, vocabulary blasting. American English is "You say what you feel is good to you" but must keep to your past tense when speaking of past and construct good sentence as a foreigner.

I heard Americans saying He/She don't wanna do it/that..... when carried away by discussion. Don't and Doesn't error occurred most as their mistakes/slip of the tongue. I trust my naija guyz, they will just look at you like you shiit for body if you ever do such mistake.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx: Just like "Goddamnit! just shout the fucck up, I don't give a fucck about what is wrong with your fucck decision. If you don't like the room, get your motherfucck a ss out of the house or you go to hell or you kiss my royal a ss" lipsrsealed - Typical American when annoyed.
Anthony learn only the good words and no fight because police dey work 24/7 and 911 is not hard to dial by a 2 years old kid. grin

Loool @ American English. Very sweet when you're pissed!
What I like is that its informal with lots of contractions (lazy man's speech) even at a workplace. "How you doin?" may be incorrect to someone used to British English, but it works in all settings in America. Its strange to ask someone, "How do you do?" shocked WTH? And when your own boss calls everyone a mo-fo, what do you expect? A---ta is worse with cursing!
Did you watch Piers Morgan and Alex Jones (Gun control guy) on CNN? The guy said something kinda like, "Get yo British a$$ outta here!" on national TV. Then started mimicking Pier's British accent. hehehehe Quite unbelievably stup!d!

Anfnie (Anthony - That's how your name is pronounced), be a good 'boy'. No punches, jabs or uppercuts!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:16pm On Jan 26, 2013
kpolli: Yes oh na why I can't toast them here cry cry .... But some are still real tho

Why though? They're Nigerians like you only that they're born here. If you settle in America, your kids will be like that too. Different attitude, accent with American thinking styles. undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Gentlezik: 6:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
University of Cincinnati has a tradition of offering partial scholarship to most of their accepted graduate students, so that's ok. You can also try Texas A&M, College Station. They generally have low tuition compared to the quality of education you get. Moreover, most graduate students that apply on time receive funding, although to a lesser extent in your field compared to engineering. Keep it in mind anyway that these assistantships are becoming more competitive these days.
Find Out!:
Heyy Guys smiley

Took the GRE today. Finished about 15 minutes ago.... Met Bukahands at the centre tho he finished before I did & left earlier (How did you do bro?).

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

Can anyone please suggest schools that lay more emphasis on GRE than CGPA in giving assistantships, scholarships(maybe) e.t.c.

I chose Indiana Uni Bloomington, Uni of Cincinnati, Northern Illinois Uni & Kent state Uni.

Thanks guys. Tho those studying for the GRE, keep studying & practicing, forcus on your weak areas. You'll do very well.

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shoggie(m): 6:25pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx:

Why should you be surprise about the bold sentence. They don't go back to your first interview because it's already in front of them with reason for your denial. Unless in a case they just asked to test your sincerity. Also getting visa with just few days expired I-20 is possible this is not my first time of standing with this claim for whoever like to challenge it. Mind if I beg you for a small errand in Nigeria before coming..... jo mafi se'binu.

As soon as I finished dancing azonto, I wont decline to you request imperiouxx.
Thanks so much for your unflagging support in critical moment.
I see now why the first VO that interviewed me asked me to reapply immediately for another interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 6:27pm On Jan 26, 2013
Yvete:

Why though? They're Nigerians like you only that they're born here. If you settle in America, your kids will be like that too. Different attitude, accent with American thinking styles. undecided

Nope, born n bred in naija.... came here in 2009/2010 n can't even pronounce their names again..... FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ones born here, I have not bothered to meet cos one of them caused chaos so I regard them as akata

But there are still some real gees cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 6:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx:

Abegi, American English is the sweetest.....no grammar hunting, chastising, vocabulary blasting. American English is "You say what you feel is good to you" but must keep to your past tense when speaking of past and construct good sentence as a foreigner.

I heard Americans saying He/She don't wanna do it/that..... when carried away by discussion. Don't and Doesn't error occurred most as their mistakes/slip of the tongue. I trust my naija guyz, they will just look at you like you shiit for body if you ever do such mistake.

I beg to defer, it spoils ur English.... I can talk informally with them but won't allow it cloud what I've already learnt
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
Yvete:

Reminds me of a Nigeria-American brother who got done with his BS here in Dec. The dad, mom and aunt are typical Naija, speaking concentrated Yoruba English but Jason - the son who was born here speaks in American. Eng, behaves like the Americans. On his facebook, he always post about Jordan shoes....WTH! When naija graduates will be thinking of hustling for job by now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
Find Out!:
Heyy Guys smiley

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

Thanks guys. Tho those studying for the GRE, keep studying & practicing, forcus on your weak areas. You'll do very well.

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....

Hahahaha guy I left early cos I didn't take the 10 minutes break you took anyway

Verbal -148 (I tell
una I no know English)
Quantitative 164

CGPA 3.2
Admission - I neva know yet o

Visa long thing for now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
Find Out!:
Heyy Guys smiley

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....

Hahahaha guy I left early cos I didn't take the 10 minutes break you took anyway

Verbal -148 (I tell
una I no know English)
Quantitative 164

CGPA 3.52

Visa long thing for now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:34pm On Jan 26, 2013
shoggie:

As soon as I finished dancing azonto, I wont decline to you request imperiouxx.
Thanks so much for your unflagging support in critical moment.
I see now why the first VO that interviewed me asked me to reapply immediately for another interview.

Haba! To God be the gratefulness. Inbox me when it's getting close and I pray I check the box on time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:39pm On Jan 26, 2013
kpolli:

I beg to defer, it spoils ur English.... I can talk informally with them but won't allow it cloud what I've already learnt

Sure, my semi is still "se-mi" not "se-my-hi". Also other words ending with "i". I can't by now forget my British English (you know how bad it sounds using don't when you suppose to use doesn't) but I must say I'm now "How you doing"......kicked "are" to hell.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shoggie(m): 6:41pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx:

Haba! To God be the gratefulness. Inbox me when it's getting close and I pray I check the box on time.

No problem Bro, Hope you are enjoying yourself over there in "ilu nla".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
@Find Out! and buka,

You guys should be fine with your results. Research for yourself and use www.usnews.com

All the best
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:47pm On Jan 26, 2013
shoggie:

No problem Bro, Hope you are enjoying yourself over there in "ilu nla".

Yea, God is in control. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 26, 2013
bukahands:

Verbal -148 (I tell
una I no know English)
Quantitative 164

CGPA 3.52

Visa long thing for now

They do on Saturdays now? Congrats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 6:54pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx:

Sure, my semi is still "se-mi" not "se-mi-hey". Also other words ending with "i". I can't by now forget my British English (you know how bad it sounds using don't when you suppose to use doesn't) but I must say I'm now "How you doing"......kicked "are" to hell.

me na "how u dey" i say whether black or white grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 26, 2013
Find Out!:
Heyy Guys smiley

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....
congrat my man, i get mail for u & how the comprehension part?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 7:05pm On Jan 26, 2013
ferdimako:

They do on Saturdays now? Congrats!

Thanks man yes the do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2013
Yvete:

Loool @ American English. Very sweet when you're pissed!
What I like is that its informal with lots of contractions (lazy man's speech) even at a workplace. "How you doin?" may be incorrect to someone used to British English, but it works in all settings in America. Its strange to ask someone, "How do you do?" shocked WTH? And when your own boss calls everyone a mo-fo, what do you expect? A---ta is worse with cursing!
Did you watch Piers Morgan and Alex Jones (Gun control guy) on CNN? The guy said something kinda like, "Get yo British a$$ outta here!" on national TV. Then started mimicking Pier's British accent. hehehehe Quite unbelievably stup!d!

Anfnie (Anthony - That's how your name is pronounced), be a good 'boy'. No punches, jabs or uppercuts!
hahaha I can't stop laughing!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 9:33pm On Jan 26, 2013
Bukahands and Find out!, you guyd did fine, congrats.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 9:52pm On Jan 26, 2013
bukahands:

Verbal -148 (I tell
una I no know English)
Quantitative 164

CGPA 3.52

Visa long thing for now

Lol. Congrats bro. you did good too cheesy . May God help us thru the admission stage as well. Lol. I had to take that 10 minute break o! Parched throat and GRE exam don't flow together at all.lol

imperiouxx: @Find Out! and buka,

You guys should be fine with your results. Research for yourself and use www.usnews.com

All the best

Thanks bro. As per USNEWS, believe me, at any given time on my laptop in the last 2.5 months, at least 2 tabs of USnews site (checkin out diff schools) have been open.lol. I also visit msinus blog, happyschoolsblog etc. I usually like to get first hand info about those schools from those familiar with them which is why i post my inquiries here sometimes. Thanks a lot bro for everything. You were the one that sent my very first GRE material soft copy to me (you sent it twice sef) so I owe you man. God bless ya plenty smiley

Ogbeche77: congrat my man, i get mail for u & how the comprehension part?

Lol. As boring, as confusing, and as difficult as it is in the prep books.lol. But once you know some of their strategies, you go sabi catch "them".lol. Will check my inbox and reply you ASAP.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 9:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
Mystiqme: Bukahands and Find out!, you guyd did fine, congrats.

My oga, thanks man smiley Our story no be visa success story o,lol, but part of why we decided to post our scores here is also to encourage others who are preparing for it as well. All na journey to the F-1, may God help us smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
Find Out!:

Thanks bro. As per USNEWS, believe me, at any given time on my laptop in the last 2.5 months, at least 2 tabs of USnews site (checkin out diff schools) have been open.lol. I also visit msinus blog, happyschoolsblog etc. I usually like to get first hand info about those schools from those familiar with them which is why i post my inquiries here sometimes. Thanks a lot bro for everything. You were the one that sent my very first GRE material soft copy to me (you sent it twice sef) so I owe you man. God bless ya plenty smiley

Good to know that but at anytime we owe everything to God. You got good GA score now, that's why I asked you to research yourself. All you need is pick your state, use www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state/ to know schools in the state. Search each school requirements and first is to write the departmental head and the graduate coordinator, telling them your credentials. It's very simple to do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Dot1(m): 10:06pm On Jan 26, 2013
Hello All.
Pls i need ur advice. Am an applicant for Masters in Electrical engr. I wrote GRE few wks ago but my score: Verbal- 145 and Quantitative- 149; analytical was 3.0. I had a low score cos i wrk and didn't plan well enuf. Tho i saw som skuls dat accept my score bt am afraid dey wil choose peeps wif better score ahead of me. So am tinking of retaking d test. Wat do u tink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:09pm On Jan 26, 2013
Dot1: Hello All.
Pls i need ur advice. Am an applicant for Masters in Electrical engr. I wrote GRE few wks ago but my score: Verbal- 145 and Quantitative- 149; analytical was 3.0. I had a low score cos i wrk and didn't plan well enuf. Tho i saw som skuls dat accept my score bt am afraid dey wil choose peeps wif better score ahead of me. So am tinking of retaking d test. Wat do u tink

Good to know you know. You will still give few of them a trial (let's say 2 of your 5 choice schools) while you await your new GRE.

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.