Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,919 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:54 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309969 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 10:10pm On Jan 26, 2013
Like find out said I have also browsed over 30 schools but I need d one people have experience with.

Does anyone know how texas at dallas operates, I seem to meet their requirement for biotechnology
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2013
bukahands: Like find out said I have also browsed over 30 schools but I need d one people have experience with.

Does anyone know how texas at dallas operates, I seem to meet their requirement for biotechnology

My bro, I told you don't wait for the one people have experience with. What of if there is no one with such experience or you don't meet up the criteria for the ones given . Any state school is good, the issue will be availability of grant, competition. About recognition forget that, once you count ivy league out....all are recognized and this is US, you don't use that to get job. Texas univeristy system is good.

WRITE THE DEPARTMENTAL HEAD AND THE GRADUATE COORDINATOR. They are always happy to answer students inquiries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 10:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
you looking at schools with funding check wiu.edu guys.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Square65: 11:13pm On Jan 26, 2013
imperiouxx:

WRITE THE DEPARTMENTAL HEAD AND THE GRADUATE COORDINATOR. They are always happy to answer students inquiries.

I don't advise people on US admission without saying these words.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 12:03am On Jan 27, 2013
Find Out!:
Heyy Guys smiley

Took the GRE today. Finished about 15 minutes ago.... Met Bukahands at the centre tho he finished before I did & left earlier (How did you do bro?).

Essays were alright, Argument task was easier.

First verbal & Quant sections were quite lovely.

2nd Verbal & Quants sections were far less lovely...almost crazy.lol

3rd Verbal (the unscored section I guess) was in between.

At the end of it all.....

Verbal -160
Quantitative 157.

smiley

my undergrad cgpa is 3.47 sad

Can anyone please suggest schools that lay more emphasis on GRE than CGPA in giving assistantships, scholarships(maybe) e.t.c.
Intended major -Public health/Env. Health & related areas sha.

I chose Indiana Uni Bloomington, Uni of Cincinnati, Northern Illinois Uni & Kent state Uni.

Thanks guys. To those studying for the GRE, keep studying & practicing, forcus on your weak areas. You'll do very well.

*GRE -Check.
Admissions - Loading....
Visa - we never reach there grin
Congrats Find Out! It's a very good result.Also Bukahands, great job!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 12:04am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

awww Thank God you're working towards the right things.

Oops Oops Oops!
Don't wanna wake up to this caption on CNN "Is Nigerian student Anthonymighty really mighty for punching a roommie?" grin
... America teaches you to use your tongue to curse (verbal judo) while your fist sits in your pocket. Don't ever get physical.

If you're financially fit, forget craigslist and head straight to a student housing complex close to campus. Inquire about summer room availability and place your name on the waiting list for fall-spring semester. No Homeowner/Leasing Manager will take you seriously if you're outside the US. That's why I asked you to make hotel arrangements around campus for at least 3 days while you room hunt in the area. And yea, if anyone is willing to co-sign for you, go for it, makes things easier. The ASO thing worked for Mamacita and I think you should try it since you're trying to avoid old friends, I guess. She's got a temporary lease/contract for 5 months because she's transferring to UH next semester.

Hehe...Is it that serious? well i have been told here not to ever fight an American even if they bring on the fight...because they are citizens and i aint. I think i'll have to control my anger and shift it from my fist to my tongue only.. grin I have been trying the expedia stuff you told me about....but not been finding it easy. seeing tourist locations for travelers. But i will surf more which i am doing at the mo. The ASO thing...i'll give it a try too. So mamacita is coming back to UH...thats 9ice.....Now u get to receive those nice massage once again. grin Thanks so much for everything. wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 12:05am On Jan 27, 2013
walex57:
Congrats to her...na you be our mama for here nah, so anybody you recommend must get the Visa smiley smiley smiley
hello bro.. Are u a dv lottery winner
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 12:05am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

Of course there are! Helllloo?? grin
LSU is packed with akata-rized Nigerians, right? Or maybe first-generation Nigerian-Americans?
SOS! Mamacita is serious about her accent. I heard her and my brother discussing - every T is a D not an R. Haha! I was like WTH shocked

hehe Senorita mamacita wants to transform like optimus prime. nice one cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 12:07am On Jan 27, 2013
imperiouxx:

Just like "Goddamnit! just shout the fucck up, I don't give a fucck about what's wrong with your fucck decision. If you don't like the room, get your motherfucckin a ss out of the house or you go to hell or you kiss my royal a ss" lipsrsealed - Typical American when annoyed.

Anthony learn only the good words and no fight because police dey work 24/7 and 911 isn't hard to dial by a 2 years old kid. grin

Laff don kee me for hia o....911 sure pass anything for Americans.....hehe. I've heard you bro...Thanks alot and i pray i dont get used to the F word because i don dey use am here already grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 12:09am On Jan 27, 2013
Anthonymighty:

Hehe...Is it that serious? well i have been told here not to ever fight an American even if they bring on the fight...because they are citizens and i aint. I think i'll have to control my anger and shift it from my fist to my tongue only.. grin I have been trying the expedia stuff you told me about....but not been finding it easy. seeing tourist locations for travelers. But i will surf more which i am doing at the mo. The ASO thing...i'll give it a try too. So mamacita is coming back to UH...thats 9ice.....Now u get to receive those nice massage once again. grin Thanks so much for everything. wink

Sef if they touch u, roll and try to get injured.... If possible get it on tape... You won't need assistantship again, the money u go collect go sustain u grin grin cheesy cheesy wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 12:10am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

Loool @ American English. Very sweet when you're pissed!
What I like is that its informal with lots of contractions (lazy man's speech) even at a workplace. "How you doin?" may be incorrect to someone used to British English, but it works in all settings in America. Its strange to ask someone, "How do you do?" shocked WTH? And when your own boss calls everyone a mo-fo, what do you expect? A---ta is worse with cursing!
Did you watch Piers Morgan and Alex Jones (Gun control guy) on CNN? The guy said something kinda like, "Get yo British a$$ outta here!" on national TV. Then started mimicking Pier's British accent. hehehehe Quite unbelievably stup!d!

Anfnie (Anthony - That's how your name is pronounced), be a good 'boy'. No punches, jabs or uppercuts!

yea....lol. thats how my gurlfriend back in school used to pronounce it. she be omo olowo and rich gurls can form English too much. lipsrsealed I'll be good and try to control anger when necessary. Thanks once again...imperiouxx and Yvette.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 12:16am On Jan 27, 2013
walex57:
Congrats to her...na you be our mama for here nah, so anybody you recommend must get the Visa smiley smiley smiley
hello bro.. Are u a dv lottery winner .. And am new here.. Do u skul in d states and what's skulin der like.. I'll be coming der nxt month but on B type visa..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 12:38am On Jan 27, 2013
kpolli: Sef if they touch u, roll and try to get injured.... If possible get it on tape... You won't need assistantship again, the money u go collect go sustain u grin grin cheesy cheesy wink

cheesy LMBO! Wow Kpolli. You forgot to tell him NOT to receive treatment/pills like Imperiouxx did. Loool. Think he's still paying on that! cheesy
I tell everyone the same thing especially when in an accident. Hold your neck and scream like you're in pain, but you must request your personal doctor - Naija doctor - share payment in half! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 12:43am On Jan 27, 2013
Snazzygirl: @Cyril83, Yvete has said it all! But if u don't mind a degree u might not work with, then google 'graduate schools that don't require Gmat'. U'll see a list of schools.........choose wisely bro!
hello house .. Pls I have my ND transcript with me.... What are my chances of furthering my education in usa..thanks and God bless..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 12:43am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

cheesy LMBO! Wow Kpolli. You forgot to tell him NOT to receive treatment/pills like Imperiouxx did. Loool. Think he's still paying on that! cheesy
I tell everyone the same thing especially when in an accident. Hold your neck and scream like you're in pain, but you must request your personal doctor - Naija doctor - share payment in half! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

You are a proper criminal grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 12:44am On Jan 27, 2013
idoo4love: hello house .. Pls I have my ND transcript with me.... What are my chances of furthering my education in usa..thanks and God bless..

I doubt that you can attend college in the US on a B1/B2 visa. Apply for the F1. Besides, what degree are you looking to get?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 12:52am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

I doubt that you can attend college in the US on a B1/B2 visa. Apply for the F1. Besides, what degree are you looking to get?
I won d us dv lottery...Bsc and am also in 400level here in Nigeria but will be coming to the states next month..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 1:13am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

lmao cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 1:28am On Jan 27, 2013
Dot1: Hello All.
Pls i need ur advice. Am an applicant for Masters in Electrical engr. I wrote GRE few wks ago but my score: Verbal- 145 and Quantitative- 149; analytical was 3.0. I had a low score cos i wrk and didn't plan well enuf. Tho i saw som skuls dat accept my score bt am afraid dey wil choose peeps wif better score ahead of me. So am tinking of retaking d test. Wat do u tink

Grad school admission selection is a holistic review process - GPA, LOR, SOP, test scores and the current applicant pool (depends on how competitive the applicant pool is).
High/Low GRE score is not a determinant of one's admissibility. With Low GRE scores, sharpen your LOR and SOP, send out emails and give your SOP to someone to peer-review for cogency and grammar. I think LOR is a big deal, IMO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drunkenmaster: 1:52am On Jan 27, 2013
Hi there, i am presently studying in the UK (M.Sc.), i want to apply for a tourist visa to visit the United States. Prior to my travel to the UK, i applied for a students visa to the United States, but i was denied based on my own doing(really i was trying hard to leave Nigeria at that time. i actually applied for another B.Sc when i already had a B.Sc. with good grades (2.1) and i had a good job, didn't take TOEFL and all that, i guess the VO saw through me). Don't let me bore you guys with my stories. After i was denied the Visa, the school sent me a mail that i'm owing $132.00. On querying the school, they replied that i did not pay my application fees which i paid, the school claimed there was an issue with their IT at that time and i should provide proof of payment which is the last 4 digits of the card i paid with. At this time, i had misplaced the card. Although i got an online receipt for the transaction, the school claimed that i needed to produce the last 4 digits of the card.( I paid the application fee over 18 months before i completed my documentation and applied for VISA and we all know its impossible for the school to process the application without paying the fees),in addition, the fee for posting the I-20 was lodged into my account with the school. I was furious and disappointed as i didn't get the Visa, so up till now, i have not paid the $132.50 (i was denied in 2011). The school still send me the bill monthly. My question is can i apply for a tourist visa without paying the school? Will my application be successful? What do you guys suggest? Thank you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 1:58am On Jan 27, 2013
^^^^ Did you really pay the fees? It's sometimes possible for an online transaction to be flagged as successful but the money never remitted to the school. Did you check with your bank thereafter to confirm if the money was actually debited? I'd strongly advise you settle with the school before applying for any US visa to avoid any silly complications.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 2:06am On Jan 27, 2013
Congrats bukahands and Find Out! You guys did great in your exam! And if any of you is considering an MS/PhD in Chemistry ... University of Wyoming got mad cheddar for you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 2:36am On Jan 27, 2013
drunkenmaster: Hi there, i am presently studying in the UK (M.Sc.), i want to apply for a tourist visa to visit the United States. Prior to my travel to the UK, i applied for a students visa to the United States, but i was denied based on my own doing(really i was trying hard to leave Nigeria at that time. i actually applied for another B.Sc when i already had a B.Sc. with good grades (2.1) and i had a good job, didn't take TOEFL and all that, i guess the VO saw through me). Don't let me bore you guys with my stories. After i was denied the Visa, the school sent me a mail that i'm owing $132.00. On querying the school, they replied that i did not pay my application fees which i paid, the school claimed there was an issue with their IT at that time and i should provide proof of payment which is the last 4 digits of the card i paid with. At this time, i had misplaced the card. Although i got an online receipt for the transaction, the school claimed that i needed to produce the last 4 digits of the card.( I paid the application fee over 18 months before i completed my documentation and applied for VISA and we all know its impossible for the school to process the application without paying the fees),in addition, the fee for posting the I-20 was lodged into my account with the school. I was furious and disappointed as i didn't get the Visa, so up till now, i have not paid the $132.50 (i was denied in 2011). The school still send me the bill monthly. My question is can i apply for a tourist visa without paying the school? Will my application be successful? What do you guys suggest? Thank you!

Bro i'd advice you pay the fee because they cant lie to you they didn't get the money if they truly got it. I remember when i was traveling to the UK and i used my FirstBank Visa card to book for Hotel reservation and they accepted it only for them to tell me at the dieing minute that they could not authorize my card and no amount was charged and my reservation was cancelled. I was so mad because i tot they had charged me and lied. but when i called my bank they told me there was a problem with my credit card at that time because the funds i transferred into Card from my dom account wasn't actually processed at that time but it was showing on my online account balance summary as processed. So you gotta contact your bank to find out if you were actually remitted on the day you made that application fee payment. Or better still just pay the fee because it might boomerang on you big time bro...Little things can turn to big tinz for yankee. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drunkenmaster: 3:15am On Jan 27, 2013
Anthonymighty:

Bro i'd advice you pay the fee because they cant lie to you they didn't get the money if they truly got it. I remember when i was traveling to the UK and i used my FirstBank Visa card to book for Hotel reservation and they accepted it only for them to tell me at the dieing minute that they could not authorize my card and no amount was charged and my reservation was cancelled. I was so mad because i tot they had charged me and lied. but when i called my bank they told me there was a problem with my credit card at that time because the funds i transferred into Card from my dom account wasn't actually processed at that time but it was showing on my online account balance summary as processed. So you gotta contact your bank to find out if you were actually remitted on the day you made that application fee payment. Or better still just pay the fee because it might boomerang on you big time bro...Little things can turn to big tinz for yankee. Cheers!

webstradamus: ^^^^ Did you really pay the fees? It's sometimes possible for an online transaction to be flagged as successful but the money never remitted to the school. Did you check with your bank thereafter to confirm if the money was actually debited? I'd strongly advise you settle with the school before applying for any US visa to avoid any silly complications.

Thanks you guys, my card was debited of the funds, because i did take the matter up with GTB. Well no qualms, will make sure i pay it before i apply for the Visa. Thanks once again..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:21am On Jan 27, 2013
heyyy! We now have a drunkenmaster on this thread. Master, master will you teach me how to fight praying mantis style?! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by virginice: 4:03am On Jan 27, 2013
Dot1: Hello All.
Pls i need ur advice. Am an applicant for Masters in Electrical engr. I wrote GRE few wks ago but my score: Verbal- 145 and Quantitative- 149; analytical was 3.0. I had a low score cos i wrk and didn't plan well enuf. Tho i saw som skuls dat accept my score bt am afraid dey wil choose peeps wif better score ahead of me. So am tinking of retaking d test. Wat do u tink

Try schools dat say gre not compulsory buh highly recomended. Rememba admsn aint jus gre buh all d requirements( reference, SOP, toefl, cgpa, etc) moreover, early application is somtimes considered bfor late app. U can get it, it's all in God's hands. I tink U'l b fyn if oda requiremnts are really strong. Wish u best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 4:11am On Jan 27, 2013
drunkenmaster:

Thanks you guys, my card was debited of the funds, because i did take the matter up with GTB. Well no qualms, will make sure i pay it before i apply for the Visa. Thanks once again..

Why don't u get the card number off gtb, they should be able to give you that detail.... If I was the one, I won't pay until someone explains where your money disappeared to... Because the school acknowledges they had issues that period, then why don't they investigate payments for that period and use the details for the payment they received.... All payments come with a name of depositor.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 4:22am On Jan 27, 2013
imperiouxx: heyyy! We now have a drunkenmaster on this thread. Master, master will teach me how to fight praying mantis style?! cheesy

imperiouxx no go kee me with all these smiley. You always have the right one to suit every word and scenario. Nice one
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 5:05am On Jan 27, 2013
imperiouxx: heyyy! We now have a drunkenmaster on this thread. Master, master will teach me how to fight praying mantis style?! cheesy
Imperiouxx don master these smileys...nice one
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Dot1(m): 6:22am On Jan 27, 2013
virgin ice:

Try schools dat say gre not compulsory buh highly recomended. Rememba admsn aint jus gre buh all d requirements( reference, SOP, toefl, cgpa, etc) moreover, early application is somtimes considered bfor late app. U can get it, it's all in God's hands. I tink U'l b fyn if oda requiremnts are really strong. Wish u best!
Thanx a lot. But can i apply to schools dat requested for higher GRE scores dan i av? Any chance?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Dot1(m): 6:27am On Jan 27, 2013
Yvete:

Grad school admission selection is a holistic review process - GPA, LOR, SOP, test scores and the current applicant pool (depends on how competitive the applicant pool is).
High/Low GRE score is not a determinant of one's admissibility. With Low GRE scores, sharpen your LOR and SOP, send out emails and give your SOP to someone to peer-review for cogency and grammar. I think LOR is a big deal, IMO.
Thanx a lot. So ur advising i shudn't re-write GRE? But can i apply to schools dat requested for higher GRE scores dan i av? Any chance?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by alingo4life: 9:10am On Jan 27, 2013
Hello House,

I have an issue on Hand.I have a school in the US which i have sent in all my documents to.Transcripts and O'level results.However i wanted to send my documents via postal-mail,but because of the nipost strike,i mailed the lady in charge and she gave me a go-ahead to send it via scanning which i did.However the issue now is this,She is insisting i should have certified the transcript at EducationUSA at the US Embassy in Lagos and Ibadan which to me is not preferable as i dont live in Lagos nor Abuja.What do you think i can do?I have mailed her back explaining the distance between where i live to lagos and that i even sent in the originals.Do you think this would jeopardize my not getting the admission or what?If at the end of the day i decide t certify it at EducationUSA,what and what do you people think would cost me to get it done.I haven't heard of this EducationUSA before,please house help me out on this..

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.