Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,371 members, 7,940,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 04:27 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (311823 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 09, 2013
Are int'l students actually admitted to the 'post-bacc' option I'm just wondering, considering the fact that it's a non-degree admission thing and such students are technically not on undergrad or postgrad admission in the school. All the best in your exams Yvete.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2013
Evelyn06: Are int'l students actually admitted to the 'post-bacc' option I'm just wondering, considering the fact that it's a non-degree admission thing and such students are technically not on undergrad or postgrad admission in the school. All the best in your exams Yvete.

Thanks! You're right that most Post-bacc/Pre-Grad options are non-degree seeking, but some schools have the option of "Post-bacc degree seeking" or "Second-degree bachelors". Post-bacc and Second-degree bachelors is the same thing with different names. For visa purposes, schools would ask prospective students to select the Second-degree option.

I know a lady with BS. Econ from Nigeria and got accepted into UHV for Second-degree BS Nursing, although they made her take science pre-requisites so it took longer (about 18months...not so sure)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Theyjih: 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2013
Yvete:

Thanks! You're right that most Post-bacc/Pre-Grad options are non-degree seeking, but some schools have the option of "Post-bacc degree seeking" or "Second-degree bachelors". Post-bacc and Second-degree bachelors is the same thing with different names. For visa purposes, schools would ask prospective students to select the Second-degree option.

I know a lady with BS. Econ from Nigeria and got accepted into UHV for Second-degree BS Nursing, although they made her take science pre-requisites so it took longer (about 18months...not so sure)

good success in ur xam..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
Oh! Okay. I get it now. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by laboldkid(m): 3:04am On Feb 10, 2013
Good morin house,pls i need materials for toefl nd sat....ayomideoji@yahoo.com
Thnks in advance!.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:03am On Feb 10, 2013
Adroitbabz: @imperioxx
Please sir kindly send me all d necessary GRE and Toefl materials. Adroitbabs@yahoo.com. Will really appreciate it. Thank you sir.

Sir, Mr. bigfrancis is the one you suppose to write.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 4:37am On Feb 10, 2013
Hello House!! been on this this thread for some time now and must admit that the success stories and challenges are truly inspiring.
About financial aid, do you apply for it after you gained admission or while applying and how long does it take (approx) to get a visa (from appointment booking date to award)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 9:09am On Feb 10, 2013
cambercharles: Hi everyone, I graduated with a CGPA of 2.3 out of 4. Most of the schools I've bin checking out require a mininmum of 3.0 or at the very least, 2.7 out of 4. I'm very troubled and bothered right now, Please, what do you guys advice I do? Does anyone know any school that can admit me with my CGPA?
I look forward to you guys helping me out.
Thanks

Yvete:

Your options:
1. Start all over - 4 years
2. Transfer credits for a new bachelors - 2years
3. Post-bacc/Second-degree bachelors - 1 year/16months
4. Second-degree bachelors -> Masters program - 33 months
Got exams throughout next week... Need to get OFF this site ....If you see me on here, chase me away!!!Argghhhh!! sad angry

Do you have work experience? Score high in your GRE and send a great SOP.... GPA is not the only criteria they use

Yvete go n read tongue tongue tongue
Success is yours smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 10, 2013
Yvete: Your options:
1. Start all over - 4 years
2. Transfer credits for a new bachelors - 2years
3. Post-bacc/Second-degree bachelors - 1 year/16months
4. Second-degree bachelors -> Masters program - 33 months
Got exams throughout next week... Need to get OFF this site ....If you see me on here, chase me away!!!Argghhhh!! sad angry

ma'am, i'm in the same shoes as cambercharles. Please humbly explain all these steps because I was denied last year when I tried to start from the scratch because my CGPA is 2.1 / 4. I'm ready to step up academically. The failure of a man is not the end of his life. Sucess is yours.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 10, 2013
kpolli: Do you have work experience? Score high in your GRE and send a great SOP.... GPA is not the only criteria they use

Yvete go n read tongue tongue tongue
Success is yours smiley

Bro, are you saying that i can apply for masters with CGPA of 2.1/4? I'm going for electrical engineering and was denied last year for no SAT. The VO did not even give me the chance to talk. She kept interrupting me every time I say anything but no P. Should I write GRE or SAT?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 8:45pm On Feb 10, 2013
Please sir kindly send me all d necessary GRE and Toefl materials. Adroitbabs@yahoo.com. Will really appreciate it. Thank you sir.
Sent.

la_bold_kid: Good morin house,pls i need materials for toefl nd sat....ayomideoji@yahoo.com
Thnks in advance!.
TOEFL download links sent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 8:47pm On Feb 10, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by olumide098(m): 1:25am On Feb 11, 2013
House, Please help on this...

How can i go about paying application fee from Niaja? any useful suggestion will be appreciated.. Thanks

How do i convert my GPA? I graduated from Unilag with 3.01 out of possible 5.0 .... How do i convert it to GPA on a 4.0 scale... Please help out so i can know my chances
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 2:30am On Feb 11, 2013
olumide098: House, Please help on this...

How can i go about paying application fee from Niaja? any useful suggestion will be appreciated.. Thanks

How do i convert my GPA? I graduated from Unilag with 3.01 out of possible 5.0 .... How do i convert it to GPA on a 4.0 scale... Please help out so i can know my chances

There are many ways you can use to pay ur application fee. The school website should explain this better. But, almost all the schools collect credit/debit card, wire transfer, etc. GTB/Skye debit card should get through.

If you want to convert your GPA, you need evaluation. Try WES evaluation. 3.01 should get admission to most average schools in USA. Even 2.5 (very low 2.2) get admission in some Universities I know. So, try about 3 average schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 2:36am On Feb 11, 2013
_babyshaQ: Hello House!! been on this this thread for some time now and must admit that the success stories and challenges are truly inspiring.
About financial aid, do you apply for it after you gained admission or while applying and how long does it take (approx) to get a visa (from appointment booking date to award)

You can submit Assistantship application with your admission application. US embassy takes VISA decision instantly. So, you will know if it was approve or not on your interview date. If it was approved, they will ask you to come for collection after 2/3 days. If you are applying for fall, u need to be very fast.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 6:00am On Feb 11, 2013
Better-person:

Bro, are you saying that i can apply for masters with CGPA of 2.1/4? I'm going for electrical engineering and was denied last year for no SAT. The VO did not even give me the chance to talk. She kept interrupting me every time I say anything but no P. Should I write GRE or SAT?

Prepare very well for GRE and do the exam.... Different criteria are used in selecting candidates.... As I've said I have friends who finished with 3rd class n doing masters in UK n USA now.... One even had 2 extra yrs in school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by japans: 7:13am On Feb 11, 2013

Greetings, will appreciate GMAT material. Kindly send to akoredesamson@yahoo.com

Thanks

Japans
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 11, 2013
kpolli: Prepare very well for GRE and do the exam.... Different criteria are used in selecting candidates.... As I've said I have friends who finished with 3rd class n doing masters in UK n USA now.... One even had 2 extra yrs in school.

Thanks bro. I have other questions and that is how high is the GRE score you expect me to get? I don't have any work experience and what makes a great SOP? what are the names of the schols your friends applied to and their deadlines? I don't want to start afresh.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 11, 2013
Yvete: Thanks! You're right that most Post-bacc/Pre-Grad options are non-degree seeking, but some schools have the option of "Post-bacc degree seeking" or "Second-degree bachelors". Post-bacc and Second-degree bachelors is the same thing with different names. For visa purposes, schools would ask prospective students to select the Second-degree option.

ma'am please humbly explain it to my understanding. I wanted to start afresh but I would not mind reducing the time spent on the same degree.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 11, 2013
jimtosam:

There are many ways you can use to pay ur application fee. The school website should explain this better. But, almost all the schools collect credit/debit card, wire transfer, etc. GTB/Skye debit card should get through.

If you want to convert your GPA, you need evaluation. Try WES evaluation. 3.01 should get admission to most average schools in USA. Even 2.5 (very low 2.2) get admission in some Universities I know. So, try about 3 average schools.

what are the names of these 3 average schools and their deadlines? Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chukasongun23(m): 8:15am On Feb 11, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Sent.

Sent.
...thanks @big francis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
@Mr Better-Person. You will need to research schools that have a 2nd degree(post bacc) option for your intended program. Use google. Not all schools have the second degree option. But most school have transfer student option, u'll transfer into 3 or400level. It all depends on d school &d program. I think you should look for a school first, then check the options they have for u. Most US universities are flexible with their options.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Square65: 1:12pm On Feb 11, 2013
Better-person:

what are the names of these 3 average schools and their deadlines? Thanks bro

Ha! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ovap: 1:28pm On Feb 11, 2013
Please people of God, what does it mean by saying the school has student faculty ratio??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 2:00pm On Feb 11, 2013
Yvete:

I-doo-4-love cool
Kpolli and I explained it to you on the laptop thread. Come with whatever transcript you've got (that shows grades from your first year till wherever you're at right now). You need to start applying to schools towards Summer/Fall '13. If you don't get accepted to a college in NY, stay open to affordable schools anywhere in the States. You can always move back to NY when you're done.
so explanatory ..thanks dear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by idoo4love: 2:03pm On Feb 11, 2013
cambercharles: Hi everyone, I graduated with a CGPA of 2.3 out of 4. Most of the schools I've bin checking out require a mininmum of 3.0 or at the very least, 2.7 out of 4. I'm very troubled and bothered right now, Please, what do you guys advice I do? Does anyone know any school that can admit me with my CGPA?
I look forward to you guys helping me out.
Thanks
which university did u finish from or is it a polytechnic cos I also did my ND at Yct and its a 4 CGP tin. ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:43pm On Feb 11, 2013
Ovap: Please people of God, what does it mean by saying the school has student faculty ratio??

How many students + how many faculties are provided for their uses. Like in some Nigeria School, 150 students in lab that's actually meant for maximum of 50 students. Such Student:faculty is horrible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
Better-person:
ma'am, i'm in the same shoes as cambercharles. Please humbly explain all these steps because I was denied last year when I tried to start from the scratch because my CGPA is 2.1 / 4. I'm ready to step up academically. The failure of a man is not the end of his life. Sucess is yours.
Better-person:
ma'am please humbly explain it to my understanding. I wanted to start afresh but I would not mind reducing the time spent on the same degree.

Thanks! smiley Seems like my last post confuses you.

Please eliminate the word post-bacc, okay? Post-undergraduate/post-bacc/pre-grad would not get you a student's visa. Let's stick with the phrase "second-degree bachelors". I don't know how many schools offer this option for your degree, that's your homework, but one thing is that you're NOT going to get a lot of info about it if you don't communicate with Grad Advisors. While researching last year, I found lots of schools that offer this option ... its your homework again. If you can't get this option at the College of Engineering, select option 1 or 2.

This is not to discourage you, but I refuse to believe that 2.1 GPA would get you into grad school not even to the Col. of Foreign Languages (I may be wrong). A good GRE may not overcome a poor undergrad GPA and a short, undistinguished resume unless all other factors are on point.
(Sorry, from a Realist, though they say with God all things are possible. Keep trying ... Write the GRE and apply for BS/MS at the same time. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2013
Better-Person:Let me tell you the bitter truth,please note that I don't also intend to diminish your joy but to make you look at other options and not waste your time and money.

Just likely Yvette rightly posited, forget about getting into any Engineering grad school in the USA with a 2.10 undergrad GPA. The top 3 -ish in the US of A are Medical schools, Law schools and Engineering schools.

Engineering schools in particular have their pick of brightest students, they go for students who are tops of their class. You will never ever get into any Engineering school graduate program even if you have a perfect GRE score. Peeps with a GPA higher than 3.0 and good GRE scores still struggle to even get in.

Some B or C rated schools however still accept a low GRE of atleast 2.7 but with a very high GRE score and recommendation letters - Please note that this does not apply to Petroleum Engineering. There are few schools that offer the Pet. Eng. programs in the USA, so you should expect that they will be highly competitive.

My advise: Follow Yvette's advise - second degree. You may also need to write a very strong SOP, and also explain why you think you had a low undergrad GPA. Make them believe that wasn't your best and that you could do better if given a last/another chance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 5:52pm On Feb 11, 2013
Yvete:

Thanks! smiley Seems like my last post confuses you. DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST.

Please eliminate the word post-bacc, okay? Post-undergraduate/post-bacc/pre-grad would not get you a student's visa. Let's stick with the phrase "second-degree bachelors". I don't know how many schools offer this option for your degree, that's your homework, but one thing is that you're NOT going to get a lot of info about it if you don't communicate with Grad Advisors. While researching last year, I found lots of schools that offer this option ... its your homework again. If you can't get this option at the College of Engineering, select option 1 or 2.

This is not to discourage you, but I refuse to believe that 2.1 GPA would get you into grad school not even to the Col. of Foreign Languages (I may be wrong). A good GRE may not overcome a poor undergrad GPA and a short, undistinguished resume unless all other factors are on point.
(Sorry, from a Realist, though they say with God all things are possible. Keep trying ... Write the GRE and apply for BS/MS at the same time. smiley

You are, I know one who has her M.Sc, one who is presently in school about to finish.... One in UK also.... It's all about communication and your application package. A very high GRE score shows your smart.... There is a reason why the exam is done.

Second bacc is ok, but I always argue against doing a second degree... To me it's a waste of years and resources.

Plus, madam are you not meant to be reading

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2013
Space reserved...brb

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 5:57pm On Feb 11, 2013
Yes I do

Yvete style lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.