Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,161 members, 7,890,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:54 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310511 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 3:24pm On Sep 21, 2012
jimtosam:

Eduson, pls apply to Western Illinois University(www.wiu.edu) communication department. They give lot of GA virtually to all applicants. Act fast.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 21, 2012
Chi-town Base:
yo fellas check this schools out eatern illinois university..(www.eiu.edu)...........Illinois State University (illinoisstate.edu)...western illinois university..(www.wiu.edu).......and also shout out to my n**gaz jimtosam and impreioux dey got some more schools with full funding for y'all; u just gotta to pay less than a 1000 usd a semester in eiu for the school i kno much about...to try to check each department and call or send dem an email if necessary..........best of luck guys...i hate to see people suffer but at the same time they never try to find out imformation or make research dem selves at least to make it a lil easy for dem selves.......America is a place to be if u got the right info mehn u will live at least an average decent life with little stress but not stress free............. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Manweysabi(m): 5:11pm On Sep 21, 2012
@imperiouxx, kindly recommend an affordable school for me with good funding. i intend going for my masters in Economics. graduated with a 2.1. and is it necessary i write GRE? thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
[/b]
Chi-town Base:
yo fellas check this schools out eatern illinois university..[b](www.eiu.edu)
...........Illinois State University (illinoisstate.edu)...western illinois university..(www.wiu.edu).......and also shout out to my n**gaz jimtosam and impreioux dey got some more schools with full funding for y'all; u just gotta to pay less than a 1000 usd a semester in eiu for the school i kno much about...to try to check each department and call or send dem an email if necessary..........best of luck guys...i hate to see people suffer but at the same time they never try to find out imformation or make research dem selves at least to make it a lil easy for dem selves.......America is a place to be if u got the right info mehn u will live at least an average decent life with little stress but not stress free............. grin grin grin grin grin grin
It will be of more benefit if everyone can seek information themselves. Read the whole thread. There is a lot of useful information everywhere here. When you ask for specific information like " Please tell me which test to take", " tell me what school to go?" It speaks volume. You`re not ready.
Take your time. When you`re ready, do the research. Do the research. Be sure you are ready.
Dont leave the rest of your adult life into someone elses hands. Please read Chi-town's post if you wont rerad anything else on this thread. What part of " make research themselves at least" don`t we all understand?

Good luck!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
Manweysabi: @imperiouxx, kindly recommend an affordable school for me with good funding. i intend going for my masters in Economics. graduated with a 2.1. and is it necessary i write GRE? thanks

Just do the GRE to straigthen things with the Embassy, get a good look-in from the admission office, GA & Financial aids etc. For affordable schools use google and head to NC,SC,NM,TN & other less popular states.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
Manweysabi: @imperiouxx, kindly recommend an affordable school for me with good funding. i intend going for my masters in Economics. graduated with a 2.1. and is it necessary i write GRE? thanks
With a 2.1 GPA, you should know better my friend. The semester is close to halfway. Imperiouxx is probably tryng to put two presentations together anf fine-tuning his public speaking skills. You are brilliant enough to go and do your own research. 2.1 in Econimics is near genius in my books.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 6:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000: [b][/b]It will be of more benefit if everyone can seek information themselves. Read the whole thread. There is a lot of useful information everywhere here. When you ask for specific information like " Please tell me which test to take", " tell me what school to go?" It speaks volume. You`re not ready.
Take your time. When you`re ready, do the research. Do the research. Be sure you are ready.
Dont leave the rest of your adult life into someone elses hands. Please read Chi-town's post if you wont rerad anything else on this thread. What part of " make research themselves at least" don`t we all understand?

Good luck!!!!!!!

You just got these words off me. Its obvious with the way things are going, very soon we will start fore-telling the course particularly unique to someone's success in life.

I am of the opinion and mindset that there is juice and honey loaded enough for anybody/dummy who cares to bend down to peruse this thread from the start. What we do lately here is just mere replication of all that has been said before.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Manweysabi(m): 6:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
ferdiii:

Just do the GRE to straigthen things with the Embassy, get a good look-in from the admission office, GA & Financial aids etc. For affordable schools use google and head to NC,SC,NM,TN & other less popular states.
. thanks! what's the full meaning of those acronyms?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Manweysabi(m): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000:
With a 2.1 GPA, you should know better my friend. The semester is close to halfway. Imperiouxx is probably tryng to put two presentations together anf fine-tuning his public speaking skills. You are brilliant enough to go and do your own research. 2.1 in Econimics is near genius in my books.

All the best.
thank u sir. just saw links posted on some schools now. i kinda like western illinios university. i think i'll use the opportunity of this weekend and go through thread from scratch...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
smiley cheesy
ferdiii:

Manweysabi, really smiley please don`t just do the GRE. Do whatever the school requires. "For the life of me" it could be GMAT.
You got me rolling my eyes at the computer.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 6:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000: [b][/b]It will be of more benefit if everyone can seek information themselves. Read the whole thread. There is a lot of useful information everywhere here. When you ask for specific information like " Please tell me which test to take", " tell me what school to go?" It speaks volume. You`re not ready.
Good luck!!!!!!!

deevick246:
You just got these words off me. Its obvious with the way things are going, very soon we will start fore-telling the course particularly unique to someone's success in life.

I am of the opinion and mindset that there is juice and honey loaded enough for anybody/dummy who cares to bend down to peruse this thread from the start. What we do lately here is just mere replication of all that has been said before.

I like these posts. Some people ask questions that make one feels they are not yet ready. If one can't learn to be independent now, it is going to create some challenges when such a person gets here as if care is not taken, such a one would be easily overwhelmed with the stress.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Manweysabi(m): 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
jimtosam:

Virtually all schools in USA have funding even Yale, Princeton and Harvard. But,what we are really saying is that chance is high in some compare to others. Some give assistantship based on your undergraduate CGPA and performance in GRE/GMAT. But, some schools do not really bother about those stuffs. If it is available and no much students, they give it out even to 2.2 grade. Remember GA is not a free lunch o. You will work for your department for some hours (depending on the contract,full,2/3,1/3) in a week (MAX of 20hours). Most GA waive only tuition. So student can manage to pay fees through the stipend. The best thing is that student should get GA before leaving Nigeria.But some get their own on their arrival. Like here all Economics students that we arrive here together were given GA on their arrival.So,GA also depends on department.Some departments do interview.So, inquire.

Another risky thing, if there is no GA in first semester but ur department promised you will be considered for the coming semesters. Take the risk if you can. Cos, when you are on ground, you get high chance for GA.You will know how things are going and you won't only search for GA in ur department,you try other departments. For example, virtually all Nigerians here in my school that do not have GA in their first semester get for second semester. People on ground here beg for GA.write stories about their economic hardships, meet the HOD several times.Go round all departments related to their Major (like Computer Science can try almost all departments).Now the question is how can you pay about 6k by the beginning of 2nd semester. Guys coming during spring still a bit lucky cos they will do some stuffs during summer to raise the cash. But for fall, it is very very risky. Cos, if you don't pay for 1st semester, you cant register for 2nd semester.It means you r out of school. During the first semester that you don't have GA, you can look for on campus job (MAX 20hrs). You can get one with food services company in school, bookstore, etc. On campus job not hard to get especially if you resume to school during orientation week before all students arrive. But, the cash that will be realized from this in 4mths cant pay 6k tuition.Most on campus jobs are average of $8.5/hr.Do the mathematics.So, you might need support from home to level up for first semester.

Cost of living really need lot of wisdom especially for an average guy collecting just $600-800 stipend;
for clothing,electronics: always check on thrift store. I got some $1 sweat shirts yday, you cant believe it. $4 Jeans.Just manage those stuffs for now till God establish you.
For Food: Walmart is still ok. Don't be crazy about African food cos they r expensive. Always find replacement. Like vegetables, walmart sells spinach collard green. It's like 'efo soko'..Also, some churches and NGO around you give student free food monthly. We have them here. Search for them.
For Accommodation: Find a good person to share with. My friend is living with a Chinese and he is enjoying the relationship.A 2-bedroom of 300-400 shared by 2 will be reasonable. But if you are fortunate to see gud naija friends, you can 4 in a room.

America is a long term gain. The gain might not be instant but it will surely come. Some it will be instant.Pls, don't joke with God factor. But, we have a slogan here "America is not one way". Another person here can share his experience and it will be totally different from mine.I mean totally. And pls, information is very important in America.That's why I will still like to meet someone like Chi-Town someday to be more informed. Boss, I dey Macomb.
please what's the name of your school? will like to apply for Masters in Economics... thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
deevick246:

Ha ha ha... we will be messing peoples lives up. I`m still trying to figure out things myself. I`m not even sure I want to continue this PhD next semester. I`ve tried to quit every semester. My kids don`t believe mummy has homework too. We are all busy people.
This thread should be about people helping people after they have tried all their best and not people tring to help people figure out what they need to do for the rest of their adult lives.
If we cannot do the little research that goes with finding a suitable school, grad school may be tough.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Manweysabi(m): 6:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000: smiley cheesy

Manweysabi, really smiley please don`t just do the GRE. Do whatever the school requires. "For the life of me" it could be GMAT.
'was going through www.wiu.edu, there's no GRE or GMAT as requirements
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Joe980: 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
@bigfrancis21 could you send materials to oliverjoe980 @ yahoo.com Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by product: 9:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
I don tire for nairaland .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
product: I don tire for nairaland .

Na wetin happen nau?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Sep 21, 2012
Joe980: @bigfrancis21 could you send materials to oliverjoe980 @ yahoo.com Thanks
What materials exactly? You didn't indicate which.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000: smiley cheesy

Okay I wanted to suggest GMAT for him...but hey he should know. Now I need to say Tx is Texas, NM is new Mexico, SC is South Carolina, NC is North Carolina,etc haba.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 9:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
biofem2000:

All the best.

Thanks ma'am. Just finished the seminar some minutes ago and was good. Still got bunch of school stuffs for week too, God help students.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shema: 10:24pm On Sep 21, 2012
bigfrancis21:
What materials exactly? You didn't indicate which.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Joe980: 10:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
@bigfrancis21 GRE materials. I forgot to add that. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 10:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hey abeg make una no vex ooo say i disappear...i still dey here ooo only say american school don dey mammar my head oooo...how's everyone doing nah?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 11:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
jimtosam:

Eduson, pls apply to Western Illinois University(www.wiu.edu) communication department. They give lot of GA virtually to all applicants. Act fast.

Why una just dey tell us. . . . Why una no tell us since cry cry cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 11:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
hariyoh: Right tread to be at the right time. Loads of information gathered. Thumbs up to you guys Imperiouxx, Justwise, Gboyega, Bigfrancis, Alloyrandy, Kpolli, Square and what a minute where is Wariz Kazeem and Walex57. Am still undergoing the learning process.[i][/i][color=#000099][/color] undecided
My guy i dey here ooo...i"ve really missed a lot of fun here due to the stress at school...well i think i'll try contribute when i can....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 12:04am On Sep 22, 2012
I've read everyone's comments and I dunno where to even start from...some talk about GA's(of course which everyone cannot get),average family (doesn't have to be the same as yours), california is expensive (not all that true), and sorts...We are all different and came in here with different intentions and orientations...Life in USA ain't easy..yes! and No!....maybe i should say this...before you came here you had an upbringing from home...why not use that as a factor of your living here if you intend coming here...I think the issue here is many Nigerians still calculate and exchange dollars to Naira in their heads before making a decision on finances...this is wrong!...i think if i'm correct (GboyegaD, Imperiouxx, Biofem, and co can please correct me if i'm wrong), the minimum wage in america is around $8.50 per hour (40 or 20 hours a week) and in Naija it's N18,000 (40 hours a week) per month (that should be around 70cents per hour)so of course if you pay 40,000 naira per year in naija...you shouldn't expect to pay the same or equivalent here when you arrive...i think that settles the complaint on $500 per month rent (with or without utilities)...Live low (Biofem or someone else said so)....Naija wan show...we wan quickly toast girl and so we flaunt ever our next semester tuition fee wey never complete sef around....pls be wise...USA is ok if you get your priorities right and maybe very bad if you've got it all wrong from the start...americans are nice people (at least from my point of view)...so make friends...Please don't come to america via student visa just because you wanna live the "American Dream" else that Dream will just pafuka!....if you wanna do that, wait patiently till when your visa lottery pulls through...for those that are here...list your problems and ways you can get around it legally and then have priorities...for those wey never come but wan come...abeg take am jeje...cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 2:17am On Sep 22, 2012
walex57: Hey abeg make una no vex ooo say i disappear...i still dey here ooo only say american school don dey mammar my head oooo...how's everyone doing nah?

I understand how we are very busy but if you still want to see this thread next year we must create time out of no-time ... I know we have presentations, homework, Test, Exams but please let's help others. Even my own personal person, successgreat has run away totally..But we still talk and hope to drag him back so that he can be telling us life in Hammond,Indianna (Just 45mins drive from Chicago).

Please, Please and Please. One day I told a friend in my school that Imperiouxx still post here. He did not believe me. He said he has known imperiouxx since when he pulled in admission and this forum helped him too but unfortunately he has forgotten Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:00am On Sep 22, 2012
@jimtosam,

I got no choice than to help in whatever way I can.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 4:31am On Sep 22, 2012
In btw doing my programming assignment, I come and update myself with this thread. . . . I don't respond to questions that have already been answered, I read n leave or input where I can. . . . Man can not live on programming alone but also on laughing at some silly things here. . . grin grin grin grin

For all those wey just wan migrate from Naija, go to Eastern Europe. . . Cos when I see someone publishing resume here and asking what he can do with it. . . Shows u have no plan and just want to migrate. . . Here is for Visa enquiries not admissions and course counselling. . . .

I might have sounded too harsh but when u never sleep well and trying to right a program + still other pending assignments + still wan read, u go feel my pains

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.