Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,344 members, 7,881,268 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:35 PM

Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? (8975 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / The Clash Of Tradition And Christianity In Ekukunela / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by GboyegaD(m): 4:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
It is a personal decision. Growing up, I used to think I wanted to have my own eyo because I believed I would become a chief in my hometown Lagos Island however, of late, I just realised if care is not taken, one may not be able to draw the border line between cultural entertainment and traditionalism. Besides, I have many younger ones who look up to me as such, I have always learnt the need to be careful about my decisions so that those who do not have strong values do not fall because of what I do as they may choose to do same and go far beyond reasonable limits.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by redsun(m): 4:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
Religions like christianity and islam destroys indigenous people culture and traditions,which inturn destroys the fabric of their society,that subsequenty leads to the fatal death of common and instinct.

A vivid example of such a society today,is nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 4:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
De-Grace01:
To you and all those supporting u to join better hv a rethink. A young boy like u should be refine and think of something better to do wt ur like instead u r here seeking for support or courage to kill ur future. For ur own interest do not join rather engage urself more deeply in God and Christian activities u will never regret it. Shallom!!!

So if Christianity is the light and traditional beliefs are of the "devil", why is the Igbo ethnic group, for example, more populated than that of many Christian countries? Why didn't all the ancestors kill themselves with "juju"? A second question is why would God allow countries with a rising atheist population (like the UK) to be better developed than super Christian African countries like Nigeria? Ask yourself.

GboyegaD: It is a personal decision. Growing up, I used to think I wanted to have my own eyo because I believed I would become a chief in my hometown Lagos Island however, of late, I just realised if care is not taken, one may not be able to draw the border line between cultural entertainment and traditionalism. Besides, I have many younger ones who look up to me as such, I have always learnt the need to be careful about my decisions so that those who do not have strong values do not fall because of what I do as they may choose to do same and go far beyond reasonable limits.

What are the detrimental/illegal aspects of 'traditionalism' in your community?
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 4:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
Most Nigerians do not know their culture or traditions, at least fully. All they believe is that their ancestors wore grass skirts, inflicted misery and evil unto everyone, and beheaded anyone they could get their hands on. But at the same time, they'd be the first to talk about "spirit of dog" possessing them in some warped Christian scam church.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ChideraFavour(m): 4:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
O boy remind u dt worshipn idol is also our traditional culture b/4, 4 me a real christian should avoid himsef in partakn of some dose cultures dem.since u are a christian u hv 2 4gt all dose things unless u want 2 stain ur christian lif.na u kno oo
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by redsun(m): 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
ezeagu: Most Nigerians do not know their culture or traditions, at least fully. All they believe is that their ancestors wore grass skirts, inflicted misery and evil unto everyone, and beheaded anyone they could.

At the time oyinbos were selling the scam to our ancestors,they were busy beheading,burning at stake and impaling weaker citizens all over europe.

The olympics everybody hypes about today,including xtian, was traditionally set up to worship greek god,zeusa. It is paganism.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 4:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
redsun:

At the time oyinbos were selling the scam to our ancestors,they were busy beheading,burning at stake and impaling weaker citizens all over europe.

The olympics everybody hypes about today,including xtian, was traditionally set up to worship greek god,zeusa. It is paganism.

I wonder what will happen if you tell Nigerian Christians that the university originated from Islamic culture, and that Christmas, the current Calendar they use, and many other beliefs they follow are of pagan origin?

Chidera Favour: O boy remind u dt worshipn idol is also our traditional culture b/4, 4 me a real christian should avoid himsef in partakn of some dose cultures dem.since u are a christian u hv 2 4gt all dose things unless u want 2 stain ur christian lif.na u kno oo

When Christians are praying at a cross, at mother mary, or any other statues of patron saints, what are they doing? Is it not worshipping an idol? When did Jesus or God tell you to pray to Mary or make figures of patron saints? Isn't there human sacrifice ordained by the Judaic God in the bible, Torah and Koran?

"The veneration and recognition of patron saints is generally discouraged in Protestantism, especially Calvinism, as a form of idolatry."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patron_saint
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
Dear friend Odumchi:
I speak from the reality of my country ... and I do so with the greatest respect for Christians.
Here (and in all countries of South America) Christianity trumps all other beliefs. Those who follow African traditions ... as they we are worshipers of the devil ... I do not think it's the right way of coexistence and mutual respect.
I have studied quite the problem African, and I know the enormous social pressure, cultural and economic Christians did to eradicate every thought different from theirs.

I had the honor of participating in Bahia (Brazil) in a ceremony at the Church of St. Lazaro (Catholic). Before Mass, the African traditionalist groups held a ceremony to honor Omolu, at the door of the church against the Catholic priest. Lueo that, Catholic Last, was celebrated with the participation of all ... I think it is mutual respect ... that's coexistence and tolerance.

Intolerance and totalitarianism are consequences of Nazism, which should disappear. What you have mentioned, my friend, is part of planning that have always been Christians: get rid of African culture. Why? Because the bottom line, there is a racial issue: the culture of blacks is not culture, the traditions of blacks are not traditions ... It is a very insidious form of racism ... after the speech of "modernization, the inclusion in a modern world and civilization, there is actually a racist subjugation and contempt.
Brothers, whatever our beliefs, care for cultural heritage! Take care of the legacy of our ancestors ... the infinite riches that Africa has, and is admired all over the world!
Receive all of you a warm hug!

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
Chidera Favour: O boy remind u dt worshipn idol is also our traditional culture b/4, 4 me a real christian should avoid himsef in partakn of some dose cultures dem.since u are a christian u hv 2 4gt all dose things unless u want 2 stain ur christian lif.na u kno oo
I am grateful to Eledumaré, I do not understand these hieroglyphics.
Hitler would not permit a different opinion.
I would like to make a reminder.
African Slaves in America were forced to convert to Christianity, and adopt a Christian name, but not allowed to enter the Christian churches. These churches were all-white ... According to the Catholic Church (root of Christianity) blacks had no soul.
Ask yourself why all this happened.
My respect for everyone!

Alaafia!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Revolva(m): 4:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
Erelu_Y: Church history unequivocally demonstrates that many traditions and practices which today are considered to be Christian were borrowed from pagan practices and traditions in Greece, Rome and elsewhere in Europe. It is sad and shameful that after the Europeans have deceived African into accepting Christianity (a religion which, if not for the presence of immigrants Christian converts from the Southern Hemisphere, would almost be extinct by now, and still is in serious decline in Western Europe), Africans have chosen to remain deceived. But, it's not their problem. One the one hand, it's business for most whilst on the other hand it is the people's opium. RELIGION IS THE OLDEST, GLOBAL SCAM. IT'S A LIE, THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL.

Thank you bro you have said it all I pity for many africans being brainwashed this is the 21st. Century and they can't even realise that the europeans that enslaved them with this religious bullshit have dropped it- they are not even religious but they are focused in humanity how the citizen life will be better and we are here doing boko haraam and some opening church business using that same traditional practices(jazz)to draw people to come and pay tithes,
Your heaven or hell is here on earth no where else ok-
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by savcy(m): 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
odumchi: For some time I've been wondering whether or not Christianity should prohibit us from fully partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

For example, I know people who are blessed with a rich cultural background but fail to partake in many of their people's practices because (as they put it) "such things are meant for pagans".

Must being Christian mean that our traditions and cultural practices must die? Was it not God that inspired us with our identity and such methods of self-preservation?

I'm also asking because this affects me. I am a Christian, but I don't believe that that should mean the traditions of my people should be ignored. Although this isn't really a problem in my area (since we have healthy attitudes towards cultural preservation), I would like to hear your opinions on it.

As for myself, I plan to join three of the masquerade and secret societies (ekpo, ekpe, and okonko) of my hometown. Does being a Christian mean that an Obosi man cannot partake in egwugwu, a Calabar man in ekpe, or an Ife man in divination?

Nairalanders give me your opinions!

OP,Ur claim of being a Christian is questionable. Otherwise,how can u hav a(righteous) living(culture) and crave anoda(diabolic)??
Culture is d way of life a group people in a particular area. In Christ(as a xtian) u hav a new culture(way of life)... The former culture has passed(gone)away,a new one has come.
Dont attempt 2 distant voodoo from these traditional practices..they go hand in hand. U cant serve God and ekpo!!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by oluMyderz(m): 5:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ihdina sirat al mustaqim...!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by kayusbrown(m): 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
''The most disastrous aspect of colonisation, which you are the most reluctanct to release from your mind, is their colonisation of the image of God''-Dr. Frances Cress-Welsing.
All religions are products of human imagination. Man created religion in an attempt to answer questions like; Who am I? Why do I exist? Where did I come from? What's my role in existence? Will I cease to exist after death? If no, where will I be after death? Does what I do here determines where I will be after death? How... What... Why... the questions goes on.
The sad news is, NO religion has verifiable answers to these questions. That's why they emphasise faith (irrational conviction) when they attempt to answer these questions.

The good news however is African Traditional religion is one of the few religions that provides honest and rational answer to some of these questions. The IFA TRADITIONAL RELIGION of the Yoruba race is an example.

@OP If your need for religion is based on the quest for answer to some these questions, do not hesitate to practice your traditional religion. However, if the economic, social or political gains derivable from practicing or associating with a religion is your priority as against the mystery the religion attempts to unfold, I'll advice you stick to your Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Lordave: 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ikeji annual festival
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by chukiz(m): 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
First what is christianity? Christianity is christ like. Tradition is past thing and is evil. Follow christ not tradition
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Erelu_Y: Church history unequivocally demonstrates that many traditions and practices which today are considered to be Christian were borrowed from pagan practices and traditions in Greece, Rome and elsewhere in Europe. It is sad and shameful that after the Europeans have deceived African into accepting Christianity (a religion which, if not for the presence of immigrants Christian converts from the Southern Hemisphere, would almost be extinct by now, and still is in serious decline in Western Europe), Africans have chosen to remain deceived. But, it's not their problem. One the one hand, it's business for most whilst on the other hand it is the people's opium. RELIGION IS THE OLDEST, GLOBAL SCAM. IT'S A LIE, THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL.
true talk.but most african are brainwashed to believe their own tradition is evil.the funny thing is that nigeria is one of the most religious countries in the world but is a third world country.even the whites in the uk and us that brought their religion to us are abandoning it and developing but we here in nigeria are over religious and an undeveloping country.most of the pastors are just robbing people of their money and using GOD to cover it up.as for me am a PROUD YORUBA TRADITIONALIST
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by mmmustapha(m): 6:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
Anyway u ppl hav so many gods, hahaheheh chineke
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 8:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
I respect you guys' opinions, but I must say that some of you have wholly misunderstood the purpose of tradition.

There is nothing evil in tradition, masquerades, or masquerade societies. In the pre-colonial days, masquerade societies were used to keep order and law within the communities they existed (such as the egwugwu masquerade of Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart). However, Christianity has given many the false impression that anything practiced by Africans before the advent of Europeans is evil and this is what I'm worried about.

The Ekpe/Okonko masquerade societies are simply socio-political tools used to keep law and order. The Ekpo masquerade is simply a masquerade in which we, the living, use to celebrate and remember the spirits of our ancestors. All of these things formed the backbone of our cultural identities centuries prior to the coming of the Europeans. I never said that I am worshipping an idol, nor did I say I am going to become a native doctor; I am still a Christian (a Catholic for that matter).

I sincerely dislike when people portray culture/tradition as devil-worshipping because it shows true ignorance on their part.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by GboyegaD(m): 8:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
ezeagu:

So if Christianity is the light and traditional beliefs are of the "devil", why is the Igbo ethnic group, for example, more populated than that of many Christian countries? Why didn't all the ancestors kill themselves with "juju"? A second question is why would God allow countries with a rising atheist population (like the UK) to be better developed than super Christian African countries like Nigeria? Ask yourself.

What are the detrimental/illegal aspects of 'traditionalism' in your community?

Some of the eyos are dedicated to gods mainly the top 5 called eyo orisa. if you choose to do the fancy ones and some other person misinterpret it then you have the blame. Remember Apostle Paul said "If eating meat would make my brother stumble, I rather not eat meat".
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Hilaskee(m): 9:01pm On Jul 31, 2012
Your Culture is ur picture and ur picture is ur future...
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
kayusbrown: ''The most disastrous aspect of colonisation, which you are the most reluctanct to release from your mind, is their colonisation of the image of God''-Dr. Frances Cress-Welsing.
All religions are products of human imagination. Man created religion in an attempt to answer questions like; Who am I? Why do I exist? Where did I come from? What's my role in existence? Will I cease to exist after death? If no, where will I be after death? Does what I do here determines where I will be after death? How... What... Why... the questions goes on.
The sad news is, NO religion has verifiable answers to these questions.
That's why they emphasise faith (irrational conviction) when they attempt to answer these questions.

The good news however is African Traditional religion is one of the few religions that provides honest and rational answer to some of these questions. The IFA TRADITIONAL RELIGION of the Yoruba race is an example.

@OP If your need for religion is based on the quest for answer to some these questions, do not hesitate to practice your traditional religion. However, if the economic, social or political gains derivable from practicing or associating with a religion is your priority as against the mystery the religion attempts to unfold, I'll advice you stick to your Christianity.
Certain religion answer the boldened questions.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 9:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
GboyegaD:

Some of the eyos are dedicated to gods mainly the top 5 called eyo orisa. if you choose to do the fancy ones and some other person misinterpret it then you have the blame. Remember Apostle Paul said "If eating meat would make my brother stumble, I rather not eat meat".

So what are the detrimental/illegal aspects of 'traditionalism' in your community?
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by emmatok(m): 9:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
odumchi: For some time I've been wondering whether or not Christianity should prohibit us from fully partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

For example, I know people who are blessed with a rich cultural background but fail to partake in many of their people's practices because (as they put it) "such things are meant for pagans".

Must being Christian mean that our traditions and cultural practices must die? Was it not God that inspired us with our identity and such methods of self-preservation?

I'm also asking because this affects me. I am a Christian, but I don't believe that that should mean the traditions of my people should be ignored. Although this isn't really a problem in my area (since we have healthy attitudes towards cultural preservation), I would like to hear your opinions on it.

As for myself, I plan to join three of the masquerade and secret societies (ekpo, ekpe, and okonko) of my hometown. Does being a Christian mean that an Obosi man cannot partake in egwugwu, a Calabar man in ekpe, or an Ife man in divination?

Nairalanders give me your opinions!

Well, there is noting wrong about partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

But what Christianity is against is IDOL-WORSHIPING of any form.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 9:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
emmatok:

Well, there is noting wrong about partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

so praying in honour of mary and the images of white people is what?
The mistake our forefathers made was to be so docile and receptive of the white man's religion to the point they almost lost their cultural identity all in a bid to please the white man's philosophy of who God is or what represents God. Christianity is a white man's thing, our culture should not be replaced by christianity in whatever guise. China and co still have their cultural heritage regardless of what white Jesus and white God says, them na never perish, infact, they are over a billion of them.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 9:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
emmatok:

Exactly.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 9:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
emmatok:

Oh really?

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by emmatok(m): 9:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
rhymz: so praying in honour of mary and the images of white people is what?
The mistake our forefathers made was to be so docile and receptive of the white man's religion to the point they almost lost their cultural identity all in a bid to please the white man's philosophy of who God is or what represents God. Christianity is a white man's thing, our culture should not be replaced by christianity in whatever guise. China and co still have their cultural heritage regardless of what white Jesus and white God says, them na never perish, infact, they are over a billion of them.

First, I am not a Catholic.

And I said,there is noting wrong about partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

But in the context of the posters questions
Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition?

Christianity is against is IDOL-WORSHIPING of any form
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by FOLLEY20(m): 10:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
proudly9ja: Like every other faith/belief (including your secret societies), Christianity forbids some things.

You have every right and choice to choose which you want. But you cannot mix both.

my 1p
But l will advise u 2 choose Christ Jesus as ur personal Lord & Saviour. Christianity is by practice & not a title. I pray that God shall open ur eyes 2 d truth. (John14:6)
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:14pm On Jul 31, 2012
FOLLEY20: But l will advise u 2 choose Christ Jesus as ur personal Lord & Saviour. Christianity is by practice & not a title. I pray that God shall open ur eyes 2 d truth. (John14:6)
I deeply appreciate your good advice ...
But I have no sympathy with the European and Jewish traditions.
I accepted his advice, you accept mine:
Give up this false Jewish god, and return to the traditions of their ancestors ...
Recover your identity.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by rhymz(m): 10:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
FOLLEY20: But l will advise u 2 choose Christ Jesus as ur personal Lord & Saviour. Christianity is by practice & not a title. I pray that God shall open ur eyes 2 d truth. (John14:6)
which truth? The truth about jewish and european religious beliefs and philosphies?

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:50pm On Jul 31, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Somalis In Nigeria / How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language / Do We Actually Need English Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.