Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,669 members, 7,951,811 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 01:43 AM

Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (105594 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Learn2know: 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2013
Learn2know: Consistently did 140 two hours ago on lagos ibadan oyo road.
2008 acura tl (A 3.2 V6 engine)
used like 38 litres (half tank) from festac town to Awe town. A journey of 210km.
Oga in the house pls rate my fuel consumption
Return journey of Oyo lagos did 160 km/H
Back in Festac An Hour Ago
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 11:32pm On Jan 26, 2013
swaggerkid: ALMOST CRASHED A NISSAN MAXIMA 2005 V6 TURBO CHARGED.IT FAILED BRAKE I TNK GOD I WAS NT ON D HIGHWAY WAS JST IN MA ESTATE ...MAKIN SUM KINDA HEAVY DRIFTS
Not the best with a FWD
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by swaggerkid(m): 7:58am On Jan 27, 2013
Q
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2013
I did 170 kmph with 89 benz 190 from PH to Calabar when i met a crazy guy with 2005 EOD trying to insult my customized 98 machine, i used the auto downshift transmission in most cases.Because of the numerous bends , he was too scared to exceed that limit too.

I did 180 kmph reluctantly, but cautiously with my Benz c180(sport version) 94-2000 model from PH to Uyo and vice versa, same day.I really needed to go and come back that same day.I was just too scared and never allowed it to exceed 180kmph(was always asking myself, what if the tyre shld burst?), else the ride was asking for more with it cute stability and lowered handling, it felt as if i was driving cls Benz. Besides, i really needed to test this machine for the first time after purchase.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 2:24am On Feb 09, 2013
au.hanson:
I did 170 kmph with 98 benz 190 from PH to Calabar when i met a crazy guy with 2005 EOD trying to insult my customized 98 machine, i used the auto downshift transmission in most cases.Because of the numerous bends , he was too scared to exceed that limit too.

I did 180 kmph reluctantly, but cautiously with my Benz c180(sport version) 94-2000 model from PH to Uyo and vice versa, same day.I really needed to go and come back that same day.I was just too scared and never allowed it to exceed 180kmph(was always asking myself, what if the tyre shld burst?), else the ride was asking for more with it cute stability and lowered handling, it felt as if i was driving cls Benz. Besides, i really needed to test this machine for the first time after purchase.
you customized the 190 in 1998, or it's a '98 190, cos 190s were discontinued in production lonf before 1998....
Be careful with the way you mess with those accords, know the type of car you use, else you'l be left behind for the V6 is very fast on the straight line...even the four cylinders, considering the VTEC engines in those cars...

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 2:24am On Feb 09, 2013
These are the specs for the '06 and '07 below:
2007 Honda Accord I4 MT 0-60 mph: 7.5 seconds
1/4-mile: 16.1 sec @ 87 mph http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...accord_
feature 2007 Honda Accord I4 AT
0-60 mph: 8.1 seconds
1/4-mile: 16.4 seconds @ 85 mph http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_
test 2006 Honda Accord V6 MT 0-60 mph: 5.9 seconds http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_
test 2006 Honda Accord V6 AT
0-60 mph: 6.6 seconds
1/4-mile: 15.1 seconds @ 95 mph http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_
test
the numbers for the '05 wouldn't be far off...
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Originalsly: 7:01am On Feb 09, 2013
tuoyoojo: I wud be travellin from warri to zaria.am gonna improve on my previous record of 170km/h...200km/hr on my mind.....ravs the engine with a stern look on my face!
If you feel it is necessary to set yourself a new speed record abeg...not on the highway to put the lives of the innocent at risk.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 9:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
yungboss:
you customized the 190 in 1998, or it's a '98 190, cos 190s were discontinued in production lonf before 1998....
Be careful with the way you mess with those accords, know the type of car you use, else you'l be left behind for the V6 is very fast on the straight line...even the four cylinders, considering the VTEC engines in those cars...

oh my dear!Pardon me, 1989 benz i mean to say..let me modify that. Thanks for spotting it.

Sure they are very fast, but if u use automatic like mine with a v4, with the little trick of downshifting the auto transmission you could perform wonders.Sometimes it's the driver and some tricks that really matters ,not really the machine per say(As long as you have a stable machine with good handling, you can perform wonders with it, the rest of it is manipulation, afterall no one would have the mind to exhaust the entire speedometer
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by lonelydora: 9:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
Honda Accord 2003 3.0L V6 - Ikot Ekpene to Abak - 190km/hr. This is the reason i can't buy any I4 car again.

2nd occasion: Mercedes Benz 230E V-Boot: Enugu to Port Harcourt in 2004(when the road was still okay) - 180km/hr.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2013
au.hanson:

oh my dear!Pardon me, 1989 benz i mean to say..let me modify that. Thanks for spotting it.

Sure they are very fast, but if u use automatic like mine with a v4, with the little trick of downshifting the auto transmission you could perform wonders.Sometimes it's the driver and some tricks that really matters ,not really the machine per say(As long as you have a stable machine with good handling, you can perform wonders with it, the rest of it is manipulation, afterall no one would have the mind to exhaust the entire speedometer
of course bro, your 190 will handle better because a honda will always be a FWD, nose heavy and a lot of torque steer, performance is more than just straight line, what goes on between the driver and the car matters alot. In the end its down to the driver....
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Omeife2: 8:28am On Feb 12, 2013
180km/hr.. Along Abuja Airport Road..Honda Civic Vtec..Dat was like 10yrs ago..wont try dat now
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by 9icetoo(m): 7:29am On Feb 13, 2013
yungboss:
well informed post, correct, i hope the dude sees this too...its not because someone just likes to praise bmw, but thats how it is,i.e.,as we have said it and more peeps will say the same thing.
Okay, lets even drop the M5, check out this: a '97 e39 540i is faster than the fastest camry to date...5.5s vs 5.8sec to 60mph
you are comparing a 4 litre engine to a 3 litre engine. not fair. why not compare a 2.0 litre camry to a 1.8 or 2.0 litre beamer.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 10:28am On Feb 13, 2013
9icetoo:
you are comparing a 4 litre engine to a 3 litre engine. not fair. why not compare a 2.0 litre camry to a 1.8 or 2.0 litre beamer.
BMW have a series of 6 cylinder engines...so even the '93 2.0 litre engine is 6 cyl, and will out-pace and out-perform the '99 2.2 camry easily...this i have tested a number of times...
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 10:44am On Feb 13, 2013
9icetoo:
the 2012 camry is a 3.5 litre engine, which is the fastest camry from standstill to 60mph it does it, as stated by car and driver, in about 5.8s...would it be better i compare it with a 2012 335i, 3.5litre twinpower turbo engine, twinscroll turbocharger with valvetronic,double vanos, 306hp? Not trying to scare the camry though...

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
yungboss:
the 2012 camry is a 3.5 litre engine, which is the fastest camry from standstill to 60mph it does it, as stated by car and driver, in about 5.8s...would it be better i compare it with a 2012 335i, [b]3.5litre [/b]twinpower turbo engine, twinscroll turbocharger with valvetronic,double vanos, 306hp? Not trying to scare the camry though...

Bro, you're not quite right there - the 335i (despite what the designation suggests) is a 3,0 (2,979cc) as opposed to a 3,5. But yeah, it would make mincemeat of the Toyota Camry, with it's larger 3,5 V6. There's a multiplication factor applied to any engine that utilises Forced Induction.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2013
yungboss: nice topic, hope you wouldn't mind my narration:
chasing a 2002 toyota avalon and a nissan maxima 2.5 whose egotistic drivers earlier on, thought blaring their horns behind me in an irritating manner on a bad ph/warri road would make me a pushover in my very sound '95 bmw 320i the avalon took me out from almost zero... on hitting a good stretch of the road. chased him ...even though he kept widening the gap up until 150km/h after which his family sedan got tired...he tried all he could with his hazard starting to blink at 160... (at this point the maxima had let off a bit) i pushed easily closing up to hit 190km/h taking him outta the way same time giving him my hazard as a polite way to pay back....trying not to be more than 5cars behind,he kept tryin to close in but couldn't do nil as he let off and with the road still silky smooth with a good view ahead, i cruised for a while to make sure this family car gets small in my rear view mirror before i restored some civility to the road...

Yungboss, just imagining this speed, 190km/h, how is the handling..and how does it feel like..it takes a lot of mind to do this speed? Though i'm not dreaming of trying it.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 4:13pm On Feb 13, 2013
au.hanson:

yes, but the road was also wide open, if you are familiar with the good parts of the east west road from port harcourt to bayelsa-warri, you'd know what i mean
Yungboss, just imagining this speed, 190km/h, how is the handling..and how does it feel like..it takes a lot of mind to do this speed? Though i'm not dreaming of trying it.
Siena:

Bro, you're not quite right there - the 335i (despite what the designation suggests) is a 3,0 (2,979cc) as opposed to a 3,5. But yeah, it would make mincemeat of the Toyota Camry, with it's larger 3,5 V6. There's a multiplication factor applied to any engine that utilises Forced Induction.
ok boss, thanks for correcting me, i knew so but i quite forgot when i was responding to this comment, even the 328i is a 2.0 litre engine...
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
yungboss: ok boss, thanks for correcting me, i knew so but i quite forgot when i was responding to this comment, even the 328i is a 2.0 litre engine...

Yeah. The current BMW 328i / 528i are powered by I4 2,0 DOHC 16V turbo motors. Will still chew the 3,5 V6 Camry though. smiley

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 7:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
a.u hanson,
it's a very stable car, provided your suspension components are healthy, and tires are good. Its cabin is almost noisless, just that 'whooshy' noise from the engine, little to no wind noise, with the ac on, the car encases you, it isnt generous with interior space but who cares! Steering is precise.
Though its got a low CG, i prefer it dat way. I hardly operate the e46, i am attached to the e36....
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by 9icetoo(m): 7:09am On Feb 14, 2013
Akwaowoa: But suffice to say, can a toyota corolla really reach 200km/h? Some posters have been sincere that even at such speeds german machines still pass them wit a breeze. It keeps me wondering if their speedometer is really correct at such speeds or have overrated their performance. Cos last i entered a corolla i held my intestines at 130km/h. The car was less than paper weight. Am just left in wonderment cos i know how it feels at such speeds in german cars(benz n BMW). I think some asian cars loose brain box functionality at such speeds n overrate the speeds. Sha kudos to benz n bmw. No summersaulting what so ever. Even at 170 in c class i was very comfortable unlike camry which i almost lost my life at 140km/h.
yes a 2009 corolla sport model can easily get to that. I once got involved with a 2009 corolla sport along enugu port harcourt express way. this was close to enugu section of the road from okigwe. I clocked 190 km/hr on the downhill section of that road. i believe the corolla comfortably did above 200km/hr. i never caught up with it. And a bmw is on its backside now along airforce road towards eliozu roundabout in port harcourt. It lost control at one of the bends due to overspeed. so quit hyping beamers and benzes, it all boils down to the driver.

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by 9icetoo(m): 7:13am On Feb 14, 2013
yungboss:
BMW have a series of 6 cylinder engines...so even the '93 2.0 litre engine is 6 cyl, and will out-pace and out-perform the '99 2.2 camry easily...this i have tested a number of times...
it totally depends on the driver. Around bends, maybe. On a straight line, i doubt.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 8:50am On Feb 14, 2013
9icetoo:
yes a 2009 corolla sport model can easily get to that. I once got involved with a 2009 corolla sport along enugu port harcourt express way. this was close to enugu section of the road from okigwe. I clocked 190 km/hr on the downhill section of that road. i believe the corolla comfortably did above 200km/hr. i never caught up with it. And a bmw is on its backside now along airforce road towards eliozu roundabout in port harcourt. It lost control at one of the bends due to overspeed. so quit hyping beamers and benzes, it all boils down to the driver.
you never can tell, the incident definitely was not down to ''BMW's inability'' but the ''drivers' ''inability''...i have driven on the road countless times, and i know those bends too well, i have never rolled over and i drive a 3 series.. Those bends aren't dat difficult to manuever...they aren't.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 8:50am On Feb 14, 2013
9icetoo:
it totally depends on the driver. Around bends, maybe. On a straight line, i doubt.
my comments are not unfounded, i drove a '99 camry back then, before i had my Merc. I had lots of experience with it (though not mine) so i know well about the dynamics and ability of the car, and now drive a bmw so i know both cars well, and can say something about them...it is also evident from hp numbers. The '99 2.2 camry's got about 133hp-136hp ('97-2001), the '93 320i engine, a 2.0 litre, has about 150hp. So the difference is like day and night. The camry has a lower hp/weight ratio too...i think more weight too (i'll verify that)
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by 9icetoo(m): 12:46pm On Feb 14, 2013
yungboss:
you never can tell, the incident definitely was not down to ''BMW's inability'' but the ''drivers' ''inability''...i have driven on the road countless times, and i know those bends too well, i have never rolled over and i drive a 3 series.. Those bends aren't dat difficult to manuever...they aren't.
well they are with the number of accidents recorded there so far. I believe the beamer is still there, you can go take a look this evening on your way back. i still saw it yesterday. had a bit of a mini drag with my friend and his beamer yesterday (a 318i) on that same road yesterday. he did well. he let off at the first bend and i swooshed past him. grin
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by eghuan1(m): 2:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
Did 175km/hr on onitsha/owerri road in 1998 toyota corolla
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by lastround(m): 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2013
I did 200km/hr in 1996 on christmas on our way to lekki beach along lekki road
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by megastu(m): 1:44pm On Feb 20, 2013
i did Akoka (Unilag) to Thomas Estate after Ajah, Lagos in 15minutes. I cant remember what mileage i was on. It was a brand new hyundai Accent, Manual drive. Time was a little after 12 midnight.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by starbwoi: 2:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
I did 190 on ma Bima...bmw x6.....at onitsha owerre road....
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by acadasol: 9:13pm On Feb 20, 2013
180km/hour on Lagos/Abeokuta Exp Way coming from Aabeokuta going to work... Driving Mitsubishi Galant 1996 Model
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 1:37pm On Feb 21, 2013
i just got a brand new Kia Rio 2013 model....

went to ilorin recently. along that sweet strip from ogbomosho to Ilorin (best road section i have witnessed in nigeria. flat, straight and smooth) i maxed out the korean kiddo and surprisingly, the needle didnt pass 160km/h (*embarrased). i gave the damn thing all the gas possible but it wont go beyond the 160 mark. it was then i realised its possible there is a speed limiter on the car.

for a 1.4l engine, i think 160km/h aint bad.

i have done 200km/hr on that road section twice. first in a 2000 model acura legend and second in my untiring 2000 model BMW 323 Ci. i dont fancy speeds above this
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Denn(m): 1:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
lastround: I did 200km/hr in 1996 on christmas on our way to lekki beach along lekki road

guy, that road strip aint worth the risk....easy bro. At 200km/hr, you are doing an equivalent of 55 metres every second. fifty five whole metres.....
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
Denn: i just got a brand new Kia Rio 2013 model....

went to ilorin recently. along that sweet strip from ogbomosho to Ilorin (best road section i have witnessed in nigeria. flat, straight and smooth) i maxed out the korean kiddo and surprisingly, the needle didnt pass 160km/h (*embarrased). i gave the damn thing all the gas possible but it wont go beyond the 160 mark. it was then i realised its possible there is a speed limiter on the car.

for a 1.4l engine, i think 160km/h aint bad.

i have done 200km/hr on that road section twice. first in a 2000 model acura legend and second in my untiring 2000 model BMW 323 Ci. i dont fancy speeds above this

Bro, i wonder how people make more than 160 on these cars, wouldn't it fly into thin air?..I made 120km/hr with a Hyundai Accent and it felt like a feather, my blood ran cold, i had to quickly return the car back to the owner

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (43) (Reply)

I Parked My Car, Went Into The Bank And This Happened / Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.