Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu (33879 Views)

Maurice Iwu Vs Mahmood Yakubu: Who Is The Worst INEC Chairman In Nigeria? / EFCC Arrests Maurice Iwu, Ex-INEC Chairman / Maurice Iwu: 'Osun Election Was Conclusive' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Ebullience(m): 5:19pm On Feb 27, 2020
A former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Maurice Iwu has asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to transfer his N1.23b fraud case to Abuja.

Iwu told Justice Nicolas Oweibo that at 70 years, he was too old to be making frequent trips from his Abuja residence to Lagos for trial.

Iwu is facing three counts of alleged fraud and money laundering filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)

The EFCC arraigned him last August 8 before Justice Chuka Obiozor, who granted him N1billion bail.

Following the transfer of the case to Justice Oweibo, the agency re-arraigned Iwu last October 24.

The EFCC alleged that he committed the offences between December 2014 and March 27, 2015.

The defendant pleaded not guilty.

The trial proper did not commence last October 25 as scheduled following the judge’s absence.

At the commencement of proceedings, Iwu’s counsel, Ahamed Raji SAN, told the court that the transfer was essential so that the defendant would not be subjected to unnecessary hardship.

He said Iwu resides in Abuja but always travelled to Lagos whenever the case came up.

“My Lord, this defendant is over 70 years of age, and he always travels down to Lagos and books a hotel whenever the case comes up. It will amount to great agony for him to continue with this trial in Lagos,” Raji said.

He contended that the transaction that led to the charge occurred in Abuja, thus the case should be tried in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

He told the judge that all the witnesses listed in the proof of evidence reside in Lagos and Ibadan, more so, the case was investigated by the committee’s Lagos Zonal office.

Oyedepo stated that all the banks officials listed in the proof of evidence to testify and the documents to tender are in Lagos.

He argued that the offence for which the defendant was charged “touches on the Economic well-being of Nigeria,” therefore such offence can be tried anywhere in Nigeria.

Relying on Section 98 of Administration of Criminal Justice Act, Oyedepo reasoned that only the court’s Chief Judge has power to transfer any matter.

Justice Oweibo adjourned till March 6, for ruling.

https://thenationonlineng.net/n1-23b-fraud-im-too-old-to-travel-says-ex-inec-chair-iwu/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by chatinent: 5:25pm On Feb 27, 2020
Polithiefcians.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 27, 2020
chatinent:

Polithiefcians.

9 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by JubrinElSudan: 5:51pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lol...then his bail should be revoked and he be remanded in Ikoyi prisons to save him the agony of booking both a hotel and flight to Lagos

Sense will not kee me

148 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by OZAOEKPE(f): 5:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
If no be southerner na northern Christian does it mean that core Muslim northerner no be criminal?

Goje with over 8.1b fraud is chilling in the senate grin

103 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Afamed: 6:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
OZAOEKPE:
If no be southerner na northern Christian does it mean that core Muslim northerner no be criminal?

Goje with over 8.1b fraud is chilling in the senate grin
Religion bigot. .Address the issue don't be clever by half

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by OZAOEKPE(f): 6:04pm On Feb 27, 2020
Afamed:

Kwankwaso
Goje
Abdullahi adamu
Shetimma
Yerima
So many Fulani past governors and non are being tried and you call that clever by half.

Come on

157 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by bigiyaro(m): 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
Afamed:

shut your stinking trap!

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Yankee101: 6:15pm On Feb 27, 2020
You can rest at kirikiri

2 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by adekolaelect(m): 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2020
JubrinElSudan:
Lol...then his bail should be revoked and he be remanded in Ikoyi prisons to save him the agony of booking both a hotel and flight to Lagos

Sense will not kee me
you good to be among the Economics team of Buharis government

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by GamalNasser: 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2020
Afamed:

Who is bigger religious bigot than Buhari ? Yet you still support him

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by JubrinElSudan: 7:31pm On Feb 27, 2020
adekolaelect:
you good to be among the Economics team of Buharis government
chop knuckle guy. Abeg you fit refer me to President Abba Kyari?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by adekolaelect(m): 8:43pm On Feb 27, 2020
JubrinElSudan:
chop knuckle guy. Abeg you fit refer me to President Abba Kyari?
are you ready to dance to the Tuns of Fulani caliphate ?? You must be 100% loyalist oooooo

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by helinues: 8:45pm On Feb 27, 2020
Like really?

N1.23bn ? Let them drag him to Lagos jor

4 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by rexchazy(m): 8:51pm On Feb 27, 2020
To vomit yam is always difficult

14 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Procertt: 8:56pm On Feb 27, 2020
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by Chijeep(m): 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
k
Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by lonelydora: 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
Anyone who has stolen our collective yam MUST return it intact, whether in fried, boiled, and roasted form.

We don't want to know whether it's APC or PDP

6 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by itsme01: 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
cool

see talk oo, Nigerian looters are too bold abeg , just the other day Femi Fani Kayode said he wouldn't forgive yorubas if court sentence him for fraud as if we collected anything from him

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by simplemach(m): 8:57pm On Feb 27, 2020
Abeg make dem transfer the case for the man before accident kill am for road joor

1 Like

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by bestman09(m): 8:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
grin
Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by iamawara(m): 8:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
1billion Naira for bail ?? kiss shocked

Pls Barr's in the house, help local man

Where does this baol money goes to? Do they Share it among them selves?

Where do the Police remit the bail money to? undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by stonemind(f): 8:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
Pls how do I download this video from YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAKazY3xHk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by thundafire: 8:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
Let dey case be transferred to Abuja but wat about Attahiru Jega dat brought dis nonsense to us
Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by itsme01: 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
OZAOEKPE:

Kwankwaso
Goje
Abdullahi adamu
Shetimma
Yerima
So many Fulani past governors and non are being tried and you call that clever by half.

Come on

ever heard of the word Judiciary before? Okon AbanG that sentenced Olisa Metuselah isn't Fulani, Justice Adebukola Banjoko that sentenced Jolly Nyako is a Christian and not a Fulani, all this cases either started from Obasanjo a Christian Southern President, or jonathan a Christian presidents efcc days

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by IamPatriotic(m): 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
Je won't be too old to live in Kuje

1 Like

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by SweetCunt97(f): 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
I billion naira bail? Seems they wanna squeeze the money outta him anyhow
Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by millionboi2: 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
Thief
Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by BarrElChapo(m): 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2020
Hon. Prof. Justice Chuka Obiozor my former dean faculty of law. Very principled/mean man.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Too Old To Travel - Maurice Iwu by olisefom: 9:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
Our president is older than you and he's still touring the world grin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IGP Deploys Security Team To Osun Governor-Elect, Ademola Adeleke / Revealed: Diezani Sat On $14bn Oil Deal With India-Daily Trust / CBN Data Proves Amaechi Lied Against Johnathan On ECA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.