Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate (41484 Views)

Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / I'm Being Indicted For Fraud By My Boss Over Google Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by CastedAyo: 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2021
A Twitter user with the Twitter handle @lollypeezle has come online to share how his friend got sacked on Saturday, January 23, Igbere TV reports.

He said that a phone conversation from the boss to the friend when he was beside his mum ruined it all. After their talk, the boss asked to speak to his mother.

The worker humbly told his boss that his mum is illiterate, asking the woman to speak to her in Yoruba only.

He said: “Ma, my mum is illiterate, please speak Yoruba to her instead of English.”

That particular statement angered his boss who asked how dare he talk about the woman like that when his job is to polish her up.

The woman asked if that is the way the worker goes around talking about the company’s clients. After an abrupt disconnection, the man’s contract was terminated via an email.

As at the time of writing this report, the tweet has gathered many reactions from Nigerians who thought the boss' reaction was exaggerated.

A friend who works in a PR company got sacked yesterday Saturday. What happened surprised me.

Apparently, he was talking to his boss over the phone while standing beside his mum at home. His boss on hearing the voice of his mum over the phone asked to greet her...

So before he passed the phone to his mum, he told his boss “Ma, my mum is an illiterate, please speak Yoruba to her instead of English”

His boss became angry over the phone like “how dare you call your mum an illiterate” “is that how you tarnish the images of our clients too”...

“You are meant to polish who she’s and not call her an illiterate” bla bla bla”... Next thing, she cut the call and immediately fired him via an email.

I don’t know how this works but mo wa surprised.

https://twitter.com/lollypeezle/status/1353384002628018181?s=20

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by extol1(m): 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2021
speaking the truth at times might be wrong

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by EnvelopeUs(f): 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2021
lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by sherylbaky(f): 1:03pm On Jan 26, 2021
Wahala for who be Nigerian, different people just full this country. Is illiterate an insult?

The mama no fit read, write or speak the borrowed official language, if pesin wan talk that one for English abeg wetin e go be?

261 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by MickzyDonald: 1:16pm On Jan 26, 2021
The boss is an illiterate if he doesn't know the meaning of an illiterate also, maybe he's been looking for an opportunity to fire him before who knows

339 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Jenny1010(f): 1:16pm On Jan 26, 2021
Useless reason. She has been looking for a way to sack him long before. I hope she gave him the relevant period of notice as required by law. If not he should sue her ass.

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Realtord43: 1:33pm On Jan 26, 2021
White colar job too get packaging and stress.

just imagine the reason for the sack.

Entrepreneurship is underrated!

129 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by jenny005: 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2021
It is well, GOD Will u a better job. So dnt lose hope

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by CrazyMan(m): 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
The boss overreacted. Illiteracy is a word used to describe an uneducated person, and not an insulting word. How else should he have explained to her that his mum isn't fluent with English language?

I'm not surprised though cos that's how it is with female bosses, they're always so paranoid.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 26, 2021
I don't know if a lot of folks here are aware of this but there are a lot of people out there who find that very word 'illiterate' demeaning and insulting to say the least.

As a matter of fact, there are a number of 'harmless' words that we use on a day to day basis that are frowned upon in certain quarters.

Put in his shoes, I wouldn't have referred to my mom as an 'illiterate'. That doesn't really sound right in my opinion.

In this case, the man could have gone about it in another way by simply saying something like: 'Sir, you see, my mother does not speak English. She is more fluent in her native language(you mention the language)...'

In such a scenario, your boss would get the point and then know exactly what to do. Sometimes, shortcuts kill when interacting with others and you must learn the art of Circumlocution/ paraphrasis

Some words look rather harmless on the surface but they sure can get us into some sort of **** when used carelessly or in the wrong occasion.

The fellow in that twitter 'story' found himself in such a moment.

Now, the boss, I agree went overboard. What happened to a little reprimand?

Oh, and what's more? It's a PR firm. sad

Just my little opinion.

142 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 26, 2021
CrazyMan:
The boss overreacted. Illiteracy is a word used to describe an uneducated person, and not an insulting word. How else should he have explained to her that his mum isn't fluent with English language?

I'm not surprised though cos that's how it is with female bosses, they're always so paranoid.

True the boss overreacted. She simply killed a fly with a sledgehammer, that cannot be overlooked.

But on the other hand, you see, there are over a million ways of saying the word 'illiterate' without actually saying the word itself.

It is a matter of getting imaginative/creative.

Someone once told me that once you work in PR, your utterances ought to be properly measured. I am still looking for a PR practitioner to explain that to me.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by WoundedLamb: 3:26pm On Jan 26, 2021
Lol... I'd say the boss behaved like guys when they want to dump their girlfriend. But then, the story is very improbable. I think it's either incomplete or fake.

13 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:26pm On Jan 26, 2021
He said: “Ma, my mum is illiterate, please speak Yoruba to her instead of English.”

That particular statement angered his boss who asked how dare he talk about the woman like that when his job is to polish her up.

The woman asked if that is the way the worker goes around talking about the company’s clients. After an abrupt disconnection, the man’s contract was terminated via an email.
Serves the Big mouthed child right!

Do not use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you to speak.

We Rise.......once more cool!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by ena5four(m): 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2021
I Hate It, When I'm Not Among The First Seven To Comment On Front Page Worthy Topics.

I Hate It, When Some Mumu Put Ads Above My Comments, I Know It's A Matter Of Who 1st Book Space, Whatever!

Permit Me To Say, The Oga No Do Well

2 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by xtervaganza(m): 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2021
Twitter stories are mostly fake. So take this nonsense with a pinch of salt

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2021
How the fvck is that an insult? Assuming this even happened, which never did anyways.

4 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
Good riddance to bad rubbish...
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by naijapips04: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
Nigerians and their fish tank mentality. illiteracy is not an insult. There are billionaires that can neither read nor write.

4 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
CastedAyo:

Seriously?

There could be more to this story

(Assuming it's even true...)

2 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
She went too far by sacking him. She just succeeded in putting the guy's mom in more thinking and misery, if he's the one supporting her. Caution and correct him, not take his job away. For this coro wey job scarce die undecided

16 Likes 1 Share

What if the guy is the one catering for the mum? The Boss now made him jobless.

Mad people everywhere

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Lanretoye(m): 3:29pm On Jan 26, 2021
he works with a PR firm,and he told his boss how to relate with his mum.whats the sack about?

6 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by DWJOBScom(m): 3:29pm On Jan 26, 2021
Pass the phone to your mother and watch them interact

Sometimes trying too much runs the whole package, just do the much you can

4 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by saferoom: 3:29pm On Jan 26, 2021
Wahala be like Bicycle
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Poloyanabo2(m): 3:29pm On Jan 26, 2021

1 Like

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Sonnobax15(m): 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
cool
Baba God,abeg any call wey go lead us to get bad luck,abeg make bad network cast am...

12 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by fourboys: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
d
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
That's why women are not trustworthy running a business. They can hire, fire and take all kinds of other decisions for the most erratic of reasons.

Though calling his mother an illiterate is irritating, it still has nothing to do with how well he does his job in the office. Apart from the fact that her asking to talk to his mum was unprofessional in the first place.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place / Lagos Bus Conductor Dresses Corporately While Working (video) / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.