Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,790 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate (41530 Views)

Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / I'm Being Indicted For Fraud By My Boss Over Google Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by theFilmtric: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by marsman: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
Simple my mom does not understand English you cannot say, you had to call her an illiterate, even if it is true, She is still your Mom, and the word sounds insultive.

1 Like

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by bouncin04(m): 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
grin
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by AnneMomoh: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2021
Social Media and LIES.

The Guy Just cooked up some stories.

Once you hear " My Friend " My Cousin" "My Neighour" Gist

NA LIE

6 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by mach7(m): 3:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
Hmmn.

From the employee's point of view, he did nothing wrong, he was simply describing his mum in a honest way.

But...the point the boss was trying to stress is that the employee's job is to describe people or situations using polished words (that's a key aspect of PR). If he could fail in such a scenario with his mum, how much less some client or even his colleague.

It's very harsh sha and the boss overreacted.

Twitter story with wahala undecided

3 Likes

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Rutley(m): 3:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
It’s absurd calling your mom illiterate. At least he could have said “my mom is not fluent in English language”
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by seanwilliam(m): 3:31pm On Jan 26, 2021
mansakhalifa:
I don't know if a lot of folks here are aware of this but there are a lot of people out there who find that very word 'illiterate' demeaning and insulting to say the least.

As a matter of fact, there are a number of 'harmless' words that we use on a day to day basis that are frowned upon in certain quarters.

Put in his shoes, I wouldn't have referred to my mom as an 'illiterate'. That doesn't really sound right in my opinion.

In this case, the man could have gone about it in another way by simply saying something like: 'Sir, you see, my mother does not speak in English. She is more fluent in her native language(you mention the language)...'

In such a scenario, your boss would get the point and then know exactly what to do.

Some words look rather harmless on the surface but they sure can get us into some sort of **** when used carelessly or in the wrong occasion.

The fellow in that twitter 'story' found himself in such a moment.

Now, the boss, I agree went overboard. What happened to a little reprimand?

Oh, and what's more? It's a PR firm. sad

Just my little opinion.
this is rubbish to me.. the guy did nothing wrong .. an illiterate is someone who is not educated .. na why I hate all these office jobs .. rubbish If I had the power I would just sack the woman self and hold her gratuities and pension join.. I hate rubbish
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Yankiss(m): 3:32pm On Jan 26, 2021
MickzyDonald:
The boss is an illiterate if he doesn't know the meaning of an illiterate also, maybe he's been looking for an opportunity to fire him before who knows
No. Boss was right though reaction was out of here. It's a PR company. There are better ways of saying same thing. Like, mum has problem with English# mum prefers Yoruba#
Illiterate has negative connotation. My take.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by juman(m): 3:32pm On Jan 26, 2021
Fake story ni joor.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by general111(m): 3:33pm On Jan 26, 2021
Maybe its about how he said it.its possible he said it in an insultive manner.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by mechanics(m): 3:33pm On Jan 26, 2021
He should have just given the phone to his mum.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by ena5four(m): 3:35pm On Jan 26, 2021
Poloyanabo2:
g
Ya A Criminal cheesy
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by AreaFada2: 3:37pm On Jan 26, 2021
The boss Na fool. Should he have Said, "my mama nor go school or what? He should have pretended that she is Oxon or Cantab? grin cheesy

We dudu go just dey react like chemical over inconsequential stuff.

If the boss really loves another man's mother as he pretends to be, he should have increased his salary instead of sack. After all chances are that the uneducated mother won't be a bank CEO, govt official or some cash madam.

9ja is full of hypocrites.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Seyzcham91(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2021
nice talk!
mansakhalifa:
I don't know if a lot of folks here are aware of this but there are a lot of people out there who find that very word 'illiterate' demeaning and insulting to say the least.

As a matter of fact, there are a number of 'harmless' words that we use on a day to day basis that are frowned upon in certain quarters.

Put in his shoes, I wouldn't have referred to my mom as an 'illiterate'. That doesn't really sound right in my opinion.

In this case, the man could have gone about it in another way by simply saying something like: 'Sir, you see, my mother does not speak in English. She is more fluent in her native language(you mention the language)...'

In such a scenario, your boss would get the point and then know exactly what to do.

Some words look rather harmless on the surface but they sure can get us into some sort of **** when used carelessly or in the wrong occasion.

Just my little opinion.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by TruthHurts1(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2021
It's pretty obvious that Mr. Boss was looking for an excuse to sack his employee and he ended up using the lamest excuse possible. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 26, 2021
seanwilliam:
this is rubbish to me.. the guy did nothing wrong .. an illiterate is someone who is not educated .. na why I hate all these office jobs .. rubbish If I had the power I would just sack the woman self and hold her gratuities and pension join.. I hate rubbish

You will never understand. smiley

I know why I said what I said. Did you see you see the sort of company that he works for?

Take a look at that tweet and you will understand why what you say matters in such a field.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word 'illiterate' per se- at least not on the surface. But there are certain scenarios or contexts where using it could or might result in a few complications here and there.

It is what it is.

Even here on nairaland, I used that word in anger once and somebody reached out to me immediately and I had to recant and apologise. A seemingly harmless word but things change everyday and that is why you have to be creative when using words in certain social circles.

We are now in an era of 'political correctness' too, you see.

I have actually seen people get sued for referring to a corpulent person as 'fat'. Weird, right? But these things are happening these days.

1 Like

Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by BareFacedLies(m): 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2021
Twitter story cheesy
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Shormiey(m): 3:45pm On Jan 26, 2021
MickzyDonald:
The boss is an illiterate if he doesn't know the meaning of an illiterate also, maybe he's been looking for an opportunity to fire him before who knows
This is just the bloody truth
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by jericco1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 26, 2021
I don't understand, I see no fault in that, my mum would be pleased if I did that.
At least she gets to communicate in the language she understands.

Mehn they have been looking for a way to displace you.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by mainkendo: 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2021
cheesy
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by arantess: 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2021
extol1:
speaking the truth at times might be wrong
He should have just said, she is not well read....
Or better still shut up and let the boss figure it out herself
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by thelinguist: 3:49pm On Jan 26, 2021
Twitter lies.. Nansense
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by CallMeAthena(f): 3:51pm On Jan 26, 2021
nawah for the boss sha.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by winner37(m): 3:54pm On Jan 26, 2021
there is error somewhere ....
we all have skeleton in our cupboard ,
that is not the way he should have presented his mum to his boss , calling her mum illiterate doesn't sounds well that might even tricker his boss to sack him ....
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by coolcare(m): 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2021
I share your thoughts. Truly the boss over reacted but PR company deals with use of words. The boss expected some level of maturity when choosing words which the guy lack.

mansakhalifa:

In such a scenario, your boss would get the point and then know exactly what to do. Sometimes, shortcuts kill when interacting with others and you must learn the art of Circumlocution paraphrasis

Just my little opinion.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Cutehector(m): 4:00pm On Jan 26, 2021
Speak to her in yoruba, she might not hear you well in english. Simple
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2021
Hmm, mind u the man never actually used the word "illiterate" infact he said it in a polite way, the boss went 2 far...
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2021
Cutting off the nose to spite the face.
She did not act like a boss. That should be her first lesson for her new employee. Did she sack him to fight for his mother's right/dignity or what exactly is her problem?
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2021
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Psoul(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2021
mansakhalifa:

In such a scenario, your boss would get the point and then know exactly what to do. Sometimes, shortcuts kill when interacting with others and you must learn the art of Circumlocution paraphrasis

Just my little opinion.

You are right dear. How will the guy feel if he hears another person calling her mum an illiterate?
He is a PR personnel. He is supposed to know how to use words very well even in a situation that looks so bad.
A PR person is not supposed to use harsh words.
If that guy can use that crude word on her own mom, imagine how he will describe his clients.
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Olakunleyakub(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2021
It is really not an insult but the boss premises was that it is the boy duty to use his education to polish and improve his mother and I think she was right with that even dough she overstretched the issue.
sherylbaky:
Wahala for who be Nigerian, different people just full this country. Is illiterate an insult?

The mama no fit read, write or speak the borrowed official language, if pesin wan talk that one for English abeg wetin e go be?
Re: Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate by Austin4Jesus(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2021
The Boss also needs mental evaluation, Na Semi Illiterate. Illiterate isn't an insult.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Bus Conductor Dresses Corporately While Working (video) / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly / Sade Adenuga Is Now A Barrister & Solicitor Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.