Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,085 members, 7,852,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 11:57 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4626) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1545133 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4623) (4624) (4625) (4626) (4627) (4628) (4629) ... (4792) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by AdisaOwala: 3:45pm On May 02
larride:

So you mean you cant buy a new car and still repair your faulty car?

Wonderful.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by AdisaOwala: 3:45pm On May 02
popizaino:

Good you know and that is why i am also asking you if you will leave your faulty car unattended to buy a new car as a way of saving?

Are the cars performing the same function?

One can only do short distances due to design limitations while the other would probably travel longer distances, has better fuel economy and would probably generate funds if used as Uber grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 3:50pm On May 02
afrodoc2:

You can. But probably not when you are broke.

That's why the government is going to a financing agreement where it is the contractor that will finance 70% of the project and recoup the cost in toll.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 3:55pm On May 02
Given scarce resources (at least we all agree on this), is the Lagos-Calabar coastal road of a higher priority than other projects that are yet to get any attention? What's the expected ROI for that project vis-a-vis other projects crying for attention? Can we get same ROI for much less investing in other projects?

We have a power sector that's begging for investment...bad roads all around the country that would cut travel time on average by 50%...we need investments in our federal schools, investments in health...what's being done in all of those areas? Nothing...but Oasis wan dey look beach as e dey drive, so make we do coastal road cheesy...we know what we're doing sha. Like Prospa talk, 3 years time we go dey feign shocked.

8 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 3:56pm On May 02
OasisX:

......Government need to do something on these akokos, I don't even know how those roads can be fixed to double-lane, coz many houses will go down.

Development comes at a cost.

Also I am sure those roads were originally built with ample setback. Na so we dey do.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 3:57pm On May 02
Itsrm:

I like the idea of the coastal road. 3 hour journey from PH to Lagos is something I can't wait to experience.

However, what happens if the contractor can't secure funding for the road?

In situations like this, there's usually a bid bond in place by those bidding before any contractor is given approval/wins the bid. This is usually a major requirement

Also, I suppose there will be placeholders (competitors that didn't win) that can step in if that happens.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 3:58pm On May 02
Amigoss:
Na you use your mouth talk say MR INFRASTRUCTURE nearly bankrupt the country and we need to endure some pains and undergo some sufferings,na you still wan undertake luxury project at this moment of austerity, MENT!!!!!

This same people will frown at their club to use the entire transfer budget(whether bank loan or cash) to buy one luxury player when there are like 3 other positions that are of utmost importance needed to be fixed...
We know what we're doing cheesy
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:03pm On May 02
Theflint1:
Given scarce resources (at least we all agree on this), is the Lagos-Calabar coastal road of a higher priority than other projects that are yet to get any attention? What's the expected ROI for that project vis-a-vis other projects crying for attention? Can we get same ROI for much less investing in other projects?

We have a power sector that's begging for investment...bad roads all around the country that would cut travel time on average by 50%...we need investments in our federal schools, investments in health...what's being done in all of those areas? Nothing...but Oasis wan dey look beach as e dey drive, so make we do coastal road cheesy...we know what we're doing sha. Like Prospa talk, 3 years time we go dey feign shocked.

Some road projects have also been captured here
https://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/index.php/resources/internal-resources/budget-documents/2024-budget

ROI is immeasurable at this point, or what was the ROI when 3rd mainland bridge was constructed and the impact on the economy of Lekki-Ajah axis since then

The project is 70% private financed, so FG is only paying 30% of total cost. The potential of what the road will achieve and open up new places that had been forgotten for decades makes it worth it
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 4:04pm On May 02
larride:

That's why the government is going to a financing agreement where it is the contractor that will finance 70% of the project and recoup the cost in toll.

Ok. I don’t know the details of this project, but from a distance it looks like a slight misplacement of priorities.

Let me step back and allow you guys on both sides of the aisle that have more information debate about it sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 4:17pm On May 02
The questions I have on the project, Not sure I can get it online. If anyone can help I'll be glad

Funding Structure - That huge commitment from a private entity can only mean one thing??

Is it gonna be tolled? what tolling strategy will be adopted

Is it a concession and for how long?

What protection and guarantee structure is in place if and should there be a change in govt?

What are the terms of force majeure in the agreement?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:17pm On May 02
afrodoc2:

Ok. I don’t know the details of this project, but from a distance it looks like a slight misplacement of priorities.

Let me step back and allow you guys on both sides of the aisle that have more information debate about it sha

To be fair, I would've preferred the Lagos to Calabar railine instead but if its Lagos to Calabar coastal road we'll get, I'm fine with it.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:20pm On May 02
https://projectsportal.afdb.org/dataportal/VProject/show/P-NG-DB0-008

So lekki expressway was originally funded by afdb

Lagos Badagry expressway also started as a world Bank funded project
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 4:21pm On May 02
TemporaryHansel:

He thinks 11.5bn dollars is child's play. The chagoury people he said will be executing it aren't even worth up to a billion dollars, I wonder how they'll fund 70% of the project.

In the end, the fg will likely be the one to bring the whole money. They just can't say it now to avoid outrage.

That's not how these things work irl. Think about how much debt funding dangote refinery got vis a vis his personal networth.

His company has access to various options of financing and they may explore that route
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:22pm On May 02
larride:

To be fair, I would've preferred the Lagos to Calabar railine instead but if its Lagos to Calabar coastal road we'll get, I'm fine with it.

I think the govt may be shying away frim railways for the nearest future because of out of control vandalism. Also because until NRC is privatised any revenue collection will be thoroughly fked up
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 4:23pm On May 02
izzou:

But there are empty lands just behind those houses.

It is not as if the place is conjested and the houses are skyscrapers.

How those narrow pathways are Federal roads is shocking

GloriousGbola:

Development comes at a cost.

Also I am sure those roads were originally built with ample setback. Na so we dey do.

......if those houses must go down to widen the road, its good to go. Something must be done on that road I swear.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:23pm On May 02
raumdeuter:

Some road projects have also been captured here
https://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/index.php/resources/internal-resources/budget-documents/2024-budget

ROI is immeasurable at this point, or what was the ROI when 3rd mainland bridge was constructed and the impact on the economy of Lekki-Ajah axis since then

The project is 70% private financed, so FG is only paying 30% of total cost. The potential of what the road will achieve and open up new places that had been forgotten for decades makes it worth it
These places the coastal road is supposed to link are not islands, there are existing bad roads linking all of these places...if I want to do Lagos-Calabar tomorrow, I won't fly jetty or take flight, there's a road that'd take me there. I'm not saying there's no economic value at all to this coastal road, my point is given all other roads and projects screaming for attention, should this coastal road be a priority? Most of the roads that have been mentioned on this thread as we speak are in the state they were when Tinubu seized the presidency, should the coastal road take priority over these projects (scattered across the country) that'd cost less and most likely yield as much if not more value in the medium to long term?

ROI is not immeasurable, there's templates and standards the FG can use to compute ROI on the project...I don't want to believe the FG just does projects without first sitting down to consider the economic merit of the project they're undertaking.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:25pm On May 02
izzou:

But there are empty lands just behind those houses.

It is not as if the place is conjested and the houses are skyscrapers.

How those narrow pathways are Federal roads is shocking

That is how narrow lagos Badagry expressway used to be how many lanes did we have at maza maza?

Ditto for orile
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 4:26pm On May 02
User09:
The questions I have on the project, Not sure I can get it online. If anyone can help I'll be glad

Funding Structure - That huge commitment from a private entity can only mean one thing??

What protection ad guarantee structure is in place if and should there be a change in govt?

......its gonna be tolled and maintained for 20yrs by the Contractor.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:27pm On May 02
User09:

What protection ad guarantee structure is in place if and should there be a change in govt?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/lagos-calabar-coastal-highway-costs-n4bn-per-kilometre-umahi/%3famp

You can read this link.

According to Umahi the road will be 10 lanes with a railine in the middle and it will cost 2.8trillion in total.

The highway is going to be tolled definitely. No details about the concession from Umahi yet.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:27pm On May 02
Theflint1:
These places the coastal road is supposed to link are not islands, there are existing bad roads linking all of these places...if I want to do Lagos-Calabar tomorrow, I won't fly jetty or take flight, there's a road that'd take me there. I'm not saying there's no economic value at all to this coastal road, my point is given all other roads and projects screaming for attention, should this coastal road be a priority? Most of the roads that have been mentioned on this thread as we speak are in the state they were when Tinubu seized the presidency, should the coastal road take priority over these projects (scattered across the country) that'd cost less and most likely yield as much if not more value in the medium to long term?

ROI is not immeasurable, there's templates and standards the FG can use to compute ROI on the project...I don't want to believe the FG just does projects without first sitting down to consider the economic merit of the project they're undertaking.

The real koko of the matter right there
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:28pm On May 02
GloriousGbola:

I think the govt may be shying away frim railways for the nearest future because of out of control vandalism. Also because until NRC is privatised any revenue collection will be thoroughly fked up

It seems they are trying to incorporate the railline into the highway construction.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:29pm On May 02
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build%E2%80%93operate%E2%80%93transfer

BOT or loan
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:29pm On May 02
larride:

Is there not a rail line in the middle of the road?

The works minister, addressing journalists after the council meeting, said the 47.47km dual carriageway has five lanes on each side and a train track in the middle. Umahi explained that it forms part of the 700km road spanning nine states, with two spurs leading up north, noting that the facility will be constructed with concrete.

https://punchng.com/just-in-fg-commences-construction-of-700km-lagos-calabar-coastal-road/#google_vignette

https://medium.com/@landpropertynigeria/lagos-calabar-coastal-highway-latest-construction-update-on-eleko-axis-1ab8c0a055a6#:~:text=The%20first%20phase%20covers%20a,spurs%20leading%20to%20northern%20states.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 4:30pm On May 02
OasisX:

......its gonna be tolled and maintained for 20yrs by the Contractor.

20 years is quite short oo. Means a likely high toll rate/fee.

20 years from the concession date or from the completion date?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:30pm On May 02
raumdeuter:

Is there not a rail line in the middle of the road?

[b]The works minister, addressing journalists after the council meeting, said the 47.47km dual carriageway has five lanes on each side and a train track in the middle. [/b]Umahi explained that it forms part of the 700km road spanning nine states, with two spurs leading up north, noting that the facility will be constructed with concrete.

https://punchng.com/just-in-fg-commences-construction-of-700km-lagos-calabar-coastal-road/#google_vignette

https://medium.com/@landpropertynigeria/lagos-calabar-coastal-highway-latest-construction-update-on-eleko-axis-1ab8c0a055a6#:~:text=The%20first%20phase%20covers%20a,spurs%20leading%20to%20northern%20states.

Yes there is. Just saw that.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 4:34pm On May 02
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:34pm On May 02
GloriousGbola:

The real koko of the matter right there
Okay, Tinubu no seize presidency, he won it fair and square...hope things are now less forked now that I agree he won it fair and square?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:35pm On May 02
Theflint1:

What was the projected ROI on 3rd mainland bridge during construction? It wasn't like people couldn't get to Lekki and Maroko through the old roads. It wasnt like they were flying to Epe or Ibeju those days

I have shown you link where provision were made for other roads
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GrammarNazi1(m): 4:37pm On May 02
User09:

Umahi said: “Let me leave out the infrastructure along the corridor. Let me just concentrate on the tolls and I put 50,000 vehicles as an average passage on these toll points per day,” Umahi said on the breakfast show.

“I put N3,000 as an average cost. N3,000 because the cars could be like N1,500, and the big trucks could be like N5,000. “So, we put an average. In 15 years, you make back the money,” he said, dismissing calls that the cost budgeted for the road was high.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/lagos-calabar-coastal-road-outrage-as-fg-proposes-n3000-per-toll-gate/amp/
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:38pm On May 02
Theflint1:
Okay, Tinubu no seize presidency, he won it fair and square...hope things are now less forked now that I agree he won it fair and square?

Winning fair and square, or seizing power has no correlation with how forked things are

I have a hunch that if it was Obi who initiated this project, these same critic will be singing praises of how governance should be

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by User09: 4:41pm On May 02
afrodoc2:

Yeah, best thing to do honestly.

I wish I had enough information and data on it to make an assessment but I dont.

The FOI Act is just for decoration in Nigeria
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 4:42pm On May 02
User09:

"Let me leave out the infrastructure along the corridor. Let me just concentrate on the tolls and I put 50,000 vehicles as an average passage on these toll points per day.

“I put ₦3,000 as an average cost. ₦3,000 because the cars could be like ₦1,500, and the big trucks could be like ₦5,000. “So, we put an average. In 15 years, you make back the money.

“At every point of tolling, we also have toll station where we have a kind of relief activities — restaurants, filling stations, parking lots, and so on and so forth. So, people will now have confidence. In these sections, we intend to put CCTV all through."

- David Umahi [HM for Works]

(1) (2) (3) ... (4623) (4624) (4625) (4626) (4627) (4628) (4629) ... (4792) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: obainojazz(m), Taguchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.