Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,147 members, 7,946,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque (8324 Views)

Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops / Photos From The Scene Of Today's Riot In Oshodi,Lagos / Riot In Benin Calling For The Resignation Of Oshiomole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
Shagger, another pretentious muslim writes,

why is Saudi Arabia not killing christians

Does Shagger live on the same planet as everyone else?
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2007
naijaking1:

@Lola4eva
Thanks for your contribution. For more than 20 years now there has been repeated and sometimes unprovoked religious disturbances in northern Nigeria.

These murderous riots follow the same patterns year-in, year-out.

Everybody in authority claim not to know what to do, can you imagine a killing rampage in Enugu by catholic youths going on from year to year, directed against other religions?

Can you imagine that the Archbishop or the whoever is incharge would be walking around a freeman, blaming the problems on street-urchins?

No, he would have been in jail long time ago.

Why can't that happen in the north? Which iman has ever been arrested and convicted for for these riots. Probably, NONE.

@naijaking1,
It started long before that, and it is usually politically motivated. The problem is that the laws against murder, arson, and vandalism are not being enforced in Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria.

This issue is political, specifically it's tied to ethnocentricism, however, the perpetrators are Muslim.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2007
It is unchristian to be violent.
It is unChristian to destroy properties.
It is unChristian to kill.

But Christians in Northern Nigeria have run out of cheeks!
They've been pushed to the wall and relegated to second class citizens in their own land.
They have been provoked enough.

I wept when my dad told me how people slaughtered innocent  Muslims in Aba in 2000,an aftermath of the massive killings on Christians in Kaduna.
Up to 100 innocent men,women and children killed for no fault of theirs.
The killing of Muslims in Onitsha followed after another riot in the North where Christians were massacred for the Danish cartoons.
Muslims who made Onitsha their home.
The story had it that folks saw the mangled and mutilated bodies of their loved ones arriving on gwongworo and they lost it and descended on the mallams and their families.

Why can't we live in peace?
Why can't our Muslim northerners be tolerant of their neighbors?
Why can't they preach the peace they claim to believe in?
Why must we go through this yearly?

My family has been a victim of this mayhem in the North.
Members of my family have lived in northern Nigeria since the 1940's
I still have family in Bauchi,Kaduna,Kano,Jos and Maiduguri.
This whole thing just makes me sooooooo sad.
We don't need to have people weeping for their loved ones in the name of religion.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 5:43pm On Dec 12, 2007
The Ku Klux Klan (aka KKK) considered themselves to be a Christian movement. They lynched blacks and whites, hated Jews and Catholics, and burnt churches.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 12, 2007
RichyBlacK:

The Ku Klux Klan (aka KKK) considered themselves to be a Christian movement. They lynched blacks and whites, hated Jews and Catholics, and burnt churches.

But does the Bible condone it?
Did Christ teach that?
That is the difference
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 5:51pm On Dec 12, 2007
nwando:

It is unchristian to be violent.
It is unChristian to destroy properties.
It is unChristian to kill.

But Christians in Northern Nigeria have run out of cheeks!
They've been pushed to the wall and relegated to second class citizens in their own land.
They have been provoked enough.

I wept when my dad told me how people slaughtered innocent  Muslims in Aba in 2000,an aftermath of the massive killings on Christians in Kaduna.
Up to 100 innocent men,women and children killed for no fault of theirs.
The killing of Muslims in Onitsha followed after another riot in the North where Christians were massacred for the Danish cartoons.
Muslims who made Onitsha their home.
The story had it that folks saw the mangled and mutilated bodies of their loved ones arriving on gwongworo and they lost it and descended on the mallams and their families.

Why can't we live in peace?
Why can't our Muslim northerners be tolerant of their neighbors?
Why can't they preach the peace they claim to believe in?
Why must we go through this yearly?

My family has been a victim of this mayhem in the North.
Members of my family have lived in northern Nigeria since the 1940's
I still have family in Bauchi,Kaduna,Kano,Jos and Maiduguri.
This whole thing just makes me sooooooo sad.
We don't need to have people weeping for their loved ones in the name of religion.

nwando nwapapa,

This is a very sad issue and I blame the political structure (government) in Nigeria for encouraging this when it started in the 1960s as mainly an anti-Igbo issue. Now it has grown to this uncontrollable mammoth and apparently leaped from an ethnic fry pan to a religious fire.

Sorry about your loss.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2007
RichyBlacK:

the KKK was primarily a racist organisation targetting blacks. To deceitfully include whites is to provide an untenable excuse for muslim violence.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 5:59pm On Dec 12, 2007
nwando:

But does the Bible condone it?
Did Christ teach that?
That is the difference

No, the Bible does not teach that. However, just like the Quran, the Bible has myriad interpretations. Even Adolf Hitler conjured up an interpretation of the Bible in an attempt to justify his campaigns.

The bombings by the IRA in London and all the skirmishes in the UK & Ireland between Catholics and Protestants is evidence that the Bible can be interpreted to execute hate.

Today, there many interpretations of the Muslim holy books that encourage hate, and still many that encourage peace.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

the KKK was primarily a racist organisation targetting blacks. To deceitfully include whites is to provide an untenable excuse for muslim violence.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 6:02pm On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

Ogbe mi, go read up on your history. The KKK lynched whites. They targetted and killed Jews (Jews are white in case you forgot) also.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 12, 2007
RichyBlacK:

The bombings by the IRA in London and all the skirmishes in the UK & Ireland between Catholics and Protestants is evidence that the Bible can be interpreted to execute hate.

again you wish to deceitfully, dishonestly and falsely use a completely irrelevant occurence to excuse muslim violence. The IRA only happened to be a nationalist organisation fighting primarily for political gain in a nation that just happened to be predominantly catholic.

Please provide us clear evidence that the IRA was motivated primarily by religion before pushing forward such untenable excuses.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by toshmann(m): 6:03pm On Dec 12, 2007
the solution to all this mess is the political entity called nigeria. when these things happen, responsible govts will set up a commision to investigate the issue, people have to go to jail, people may even be sentenced to death for this, then it will be a warning to future killers to desist. a kind of deterent. but in naija. . . . no way. it is forgotten after 2 days, until the next time. country wey no fit count himself, wey no fit conduct free and fair election is a country that is doomed.
i'm sorry to say it,
i'm ashamed to say it,
it pains me to say it,
but if i have to say the truth,
then i have to say it,
nigeria as it is today is doomed
and the way the nation is moving. . it is headed for even greater doom.

i look around europe and see the youth of our nation being "wasted" in a foreign land. a country where each time a gov leaves office the Ist thing he does is to run to europe/us to rest. a country where nobody, from the aged to the kids, nobody is talking about lifting the nation high. it is a nation with great men/women yet it is doomed unless there is a new sensitive leadership. so wether you be muslim or xtain, these riots are not just religious, it is part of a sick nation.

most likely, the hoodlums that burnt down the mosgue are unemployed youth, the hoodlums that retaliated may also be umemployed youth,may be even graduates, the kids who may join the riots are probably homeless street kids selling pure water. . . . . classical signs of a sick nation under the covering of religion.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 6:14pm On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

again you wish to deceitfully, dishonestly and falsely use a completely irrelevant occurence to excuse muslim violence. The IRA only happened to be a nationalist organisation fighting primarily for political gain in a nation that just happened to be predominantly catholic.

Please provide us clear evidence that the IRA was motivated primarily by religion before pushing forward such untenable excuses.

Why are you exposing your lack of knowledge of all things historical again? You mean you are unaware of the IRA and its religious affiliations? Please go do your homework on this one.

I'm not excusing "Muslim violence", all I'm saying is that even Christianity can and has been manipulated by extremists.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 6:19pm On Dec 12, 2007
toshmann:

the solution to all this mess is the political entity called nigeria. when these things happen, responsible govts will set up a commision to investigate the issue, people have to go to jail, people may even be sentenced to death for this, then it will be a warning to future killers to desist. a kind of deterent. but in naija. . . . no way. it is forgotten after 2 days, until the next time. country wey no fit count himself, wey no fit conduct free and fair election is a country that is doomed.
i'm sorry to say it,
i'm ashamed to say it,
it pains me to say it,
but if i have to say the truth,
then i have to say it,
nigeria as it is today is doomed
and the way the nation is moving. . it is headed for even greater doom.

i look around europe and see the youth of our nation being "wasted" in a foreign land. a country where each time a gov leaves office the Ist thing he does is to run to europe/us to rest. a country where nobody, from the aged to the kids, nobody is talking about lifting the nation high. it is a nation with great men/women yet it is doomed unless there is a new sensitive leadership. so wether you be muslim or xtain, these riots are not just religious, it is part of a sick nation.

most likely, the hoodlums that burnt down the mosgue are unemployed youth, the hoodlums that retaliated may also be umemployed youth,may be even graduates, the kids who may join the riots are probably homeless street kids selling pure water. . . . . classical signs of a sick nation under the covering of religion.

@toshmann,

Thank you for your post. It's a problem of political structure and will, and religion (Islam) is used to catalyze the problem.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by darqly(m): 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2007
The root lies in the backwardness of our Northern Nigerian moslems. I don't see the moslems from other parts of Nigeria getting a violent hard-on every now and then.

But then, the few elite Northern moslems need to keep the other vast majority illiterate as this is the only way they can be assured a limitless supply of daft foot-soldiers.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by otokx(m): 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2007
Its a terrible thing.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Besteric(m): 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2007
When is Richy Black gonna get tired of defending Islam, a religion of Violence, by comparing nationalistic movements who happen to be in predominantly xtain areas to islamic terrorists.
when Muslims say Salam Blah Blah Blah Blah to everybody, i laugh at them cuz i know that there's nothing peaceful about the religion.
Once again, the terror squads of Field Marshal terrorist Muhammed are on the rampage, May God have mercy on the souls of the victims of islamic terrorism,, ,
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by RichyBlacK(m): 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2007
Besteric:

When is Richy Black going to get tired of defending Islam, a religion of Violence, by comparing nationalistic movements who happen to be in predominantly xtain areas to islamic terrorists.
when Muslims say Salam Blah Blah Blah Blah to everybody, i laugh at them because i know that there's nothing peaceful about the religion.
Once again, the terror squads of Field Marshal terrorist Muhammed are on the rampage, May God have mercy on the souls of the victims of islamic terrorism,, ,

@Besteric,

I'm not defending any religion, not even Islam. My point is that though Islam has been, and still being, used to perpetrate evil, Christianity has been, and is still being used, to do the same. I condemn all acts of terror from Muslims or Christians alike. But, we should not condemn an entire religion because of the actions of SOME of its followers.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
i honestly don't know why Muslims believe that they have a monopoly of violence,you never hear of Christians going on a rampage because they are tryin to prove a point.Imagine if tom hanks da vinci code had been a Moslem movie, i bet a death sentence would have been passed on him.yet we are made to believe that islam is a religion of peace,u don't need a rocket scientist to tell you otherwise.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Besteric(m): 11:09pm On Dec 12, 2007
RichyBlack Bros,, Well my dear, i found it difficult to understand why Islam remains the only religion in this 21st century where violence can be justified by top Clerics,
Xtainity had been used in the past by selfish leaders to perpetrate themselves in power but even during those times,, xtains themselves were at the forefront of curbing the excesses while today,, we hardly hear words from Islamic leaders condemning violence,
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaway(m): 11:44pm On Dec 12, 2007
This is a very sickening topic; Someone said it best, that "these are borrowed religions" but now we are the defenders of that; am not saying our traditional religions were any better but this is really uncalled for. I really wish that education and common values can prevail so dat it will curb this ignorance weakening us. The arabs are happy and the west probably didn't antisipate this but is all good for them. Now we have shunned Sudan all cuz it is a complicated issue cuz u also have black africans killing others in the name of religion. I really believe God is so pissed off at Africa after all the the wealth he has given but yet we still remain very foolish and massively ignorant.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 11:45pm On Dec 12, 2007
Let's apply the economic principle for a moment: follow the money.

Who gains from these incessant religious riots?
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by Kobojunkie: 11:48pm On Dec 12, 2007
naijaway:

This is a very sickening topic; Someone said it best, that "these are borrowed religions" but now we are the defenders of that; am not saying our traditional religions were any better but this is really uncalled for. I really wish that education and common values can prevail so that it will curb this ignorance weakening us. The arabs are happy and the west probably didn't antisipate this but is all good for them. Now we have shunned Sudan all because it is a complicated issue because u also have black africans killing others in the name of religion. I really believe God is so pissed off at Africa after all the the wealth he has given but yet we still remain very foolish and massively ignorant.

Who tell you say those rioting do not hold college degrees?? LMAO!!!!
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaking1: 11:59pm On Dec 12, 2007
It is decietful to paint this riot as unorganized, unplanned, and executed by uneducated and unemployed youths.

Time and time again, it has become clear that there is a high level of organisation by the upper echelons of the muslim society.

So, can we stop talking as if this the first or accidental riot since the 1970s.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by naijaway(m): 12:06am On Dec 13, 2007
@kobojunkie, me I no kno o, cuz dem dey act like first class fools 4 real.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by mazaje(m): 12:22am On Dec 13, 2007
kai black man! when are we going to open our eyes and discard this stupid borrowed religions and do what is right? what has christianity or islam done to nigeria? pls i will want us to look at our selves and ask our selves how this 2 religions have helped us in any way. when u look at nigeria you will realize that islam and christianity have not contributed anything positive or meaningful to nigeria yet we still kill and maim each other all in the name of religion. kai people with out religion are living in peace and making tremendious progress while we the very religious keep on fighting and killing our selves while moving backwards in the process.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by iykrion(m): 1:20am On Dec 13, 2007
A man who has hope for a brighter future needs not go on rampage, lest he be killed and his hopes cut short. To this end, one easily understands the almajeris and few other stupid ones when they crave for death in the name of fighting for Allah.

Will the sons of the wealthy Hausas be allowed to riot? Religion has done more harm than good to us in Nigeria.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by buzybone: 9:28am On Dec 13, 2007
I really wonder y this crisis cant be avoided. I am presently in the north Gombe state to be precise and i have to be travelling down to the south today but there is no way i will be able to travel down south without passing through Bauchi state. am really worried but i have to go.
something has to be seriousely done about this religious crisis.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by redsun(m): 10:21am On Dec 13, 2007
According to yesterday aol news,a muslim man just killed his own daughter in canada for refusing to wear hijab,what could be more stupid than that? Religion of any kind to fools is just double tragedy.
If you don't understand the basics of life,you can never understand any thing,be it religion,education,relationships,business,governance,name it.and the basics is just that not very common common sense.Reasoning.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by darfur(m): 11:57am On Dec 13, 2007
i think someone mentioned something about a sick society and that is where all this can be explained. yes, islam has been violent globally in recent times, yes, there are those who insist that the koran supports violence. but where in the world do you see this ethnoreligious violence continuously for over 50yrs. since I953 there has never been any 5yrs that was devoid of one or two killing sprees in the north till today. for over half a century. what kind of society is that

granted there is a religious spice to the problem, but my people, make no mistake, this is a simple reflection of a chaotic society.
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by MP007(m): 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2007
ignorance is no defence,
Re: Religious Riot In Bauchi Over Demolished Mosque by nathmbbs: 1:46pm On Dec 13, 2007
islam is a religion of violence, deception and acrimony. those of us in the north can attest to this fact. most of the governors and government officials in this northern state also aid and abet religious violence aimed at christians and the igbos resident in the north in particular.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW / Emefiele Returns To EFCC Custody, Faces Fourth Arraignment April 25 / Report Jobless Individuals Living Lavishly, Matawalle Tells Sokoto Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.