Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,131 members, 7,943,071 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:00 AM

Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live (19575 Views)

Good City To Live In Brazil / 2012 World Most Liveable Cities:lagos Ranks 3rd Worst Most Liveable City On List / Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live –report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by frainc(m): 5:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
for dangerous AGBERO na lagos_ infact lagos trained AGBERO and distrebute dem to other state
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by sparko1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
O_D_B: I believe it's not just down to filth but generally orderliness and civility. Lagos is full of crazy peeps.
Offence intended!

i will like to know were you live exactly, are you in Nigeria?, or in some kind of shit hole calling yourself AFRICAN AMERICAN, either way there is something wrong with you, people are busy have a live and you are wasting yours posting stupid pics! if you cannot make reasonable comment, why don't you just move on with your live. And for the record nobody is contesting so quit being stupid.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Krucifax(m): 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
Typical Nigerian sentiment,some people have jumped on the band wagon with usual rants! "It's a lie"..."It's rubbish"...blah blah blah!
Has anyone taken the time to reflect on why they have scored such an important city as Lagos as bad as this
Based on my experience it's hard to argue with this report.Indeed it's very unflattering,but it shows you exactly where NIGERIA is on the scale of things in this world.

How can you honestly debate this?

[b]Q: How many of you here is confident that upon reaching home from school/work there would be electricity supply at home today?
Q: Who here feels safe enough to take a midnight drive to any part of the town?
Q: Who here feels that the country is safe enough to go live in any part of it? E.g North Nigeria?
Q: How many people can confidently take a holiday to ANY part of Nigeria without threat of robbery/rituals/Islamic fanatics/Terrorist?
Q: How many diaspora countrymen can confidently annouce his return to all friends and loved ones without fear of kidnap/assasins/robbers?
Q: How many here are confident that the medicine you just bought is 99.9% authentic?
Q: How many here can confdently drink their tap water?
Q: How many here knows anybody that attended a federal university and completed his study without a single incident of strike?
Q: How many here can boast that since he/she was born he's never bribed police/lecturer/office attendant?
Q: How many here can confidently challenge a gun wielding police officer who is infringing your rights without fear of untimely death?
Q: How many here has not secretly wished they can travel abroad to live and escape the madness at home?[/b]

No doubt time will pass and people will forget this report. Then continue to mire in the social and economic disaster that is Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by lagcity(m): 6:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
gidson12: see what our yoruba brothers has turned lagos into

okoros turned Aba into a pig sty, they want to do the same in Lagos. dirty okoros cheesy
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by wolebaba(m): 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
Zeddicus: I don't need anyone's research to know its not a place i want to be for whatever reason. Rough roads, rough inhabitants, crazy traffic, crooks everywhere etc. I haven't set foot in Lagos and I will do everything in my powers to keep it that way. ABJ all the way mehn!

yeah stay in yo Abuja wit dem boko boys

veraponpo:

Sorry for your info-Enugu will never enter this category in your lifetime. Just dreaming. Mentioning Lagos ahead of Bangladesh is an indication that something good is coming out. Rubbish set of ingrates. If they send you away from Yaba, Oyingbo< Alismosho,Agege,etc Those places will become better and Lagos will be rated higher.

Enugu lolz https://www.nairaland.com/1020476/cult-killings-re-emerges-enugu-8
I would rather live in a dirty city dan have ma head cut off for quick money.............
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Krucifax(m): 6:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
A rest my case .See these two individuals below as another classic case of the Nigeria malaise. When you've finished negotiating poor infrastructure,crime,poor governance and threat of poverty,you then have your fellow Ngerian's tribalism/hatred to deal with. Naija i salute.This nation is one of a kind!!

lagcity:

okoros turned Aba into a pig sty, they want to do the same in Lagos. dirty okoros cheesy
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by addey(m): 6:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
190*:
I agree with dis post

Lagos is some smelly city 2 live
And even d people who live in it, d lagosians have this smell
dey carry about when dey talk,touch or even walk past you

D drainages are terrible, d air isn't breath-able, d smell
Heat, fumes, people everywhere like roaches

Lord av mercy and yet u hear some people sayin Lagos is d ish
Smh# I prefer my village with no lite 2 lagos with 247 lite

Eko nor be only one stup1d baje

why u no go back to ur village
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Kenyanstar: 6:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
I totally agree with that report. Most of the guys who have never gone out of nigeria or the worlds major cities are the ones with the most indespeakable comments. Can lagos be sincerely compared to capetown, port elizabeth, paris, nairobi, xinhua, shangai and newyork. No! When it comes to basic needs like security, housing, transport, garbage and health does lagos beat any of the above mentioned cities. Stop being paranoid and start thinking about ways of improving and sustaining your city. Nairobi was once in such a pathetic state, but with its upgrading it has risen to be a model city in africa. A brand new superhighway, hospitals, bypasses, airport upgrade, good garbage collection system, slum uprading project and lots more. This proves that change can happen, albeit with the right leadership.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by SamMilla1(m): 6:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
veraponpo:

Some people conveniently say rubbish. Do you know what they mean by city? So you just believe a place like Enugu, Nnewi, all the Eastern villages are cities. U have just shown your level of understanding. By their rating, a city has other features Enugu does not have: E.g over 10m population- London, Mexico, Lagos,Johannesbourg,etc Pls when next they mention city, dont ever (i beg ) mention Awka, Enugu,Calabar,Abuja,etc. They are villages or towns.

Stop responding out of hatred and envy.
Some cities listed up there are less than 1 million people. Eg, Helsinki 590,000. Stockholm 850,000 people. Google is your friend.
So throw your hatred out of the window.
You can compare your Lagos with Kano. Down here in the east, we boast of beauty and serenity while you celebrate over population. Life in the two Scandic cities i mentioned is far better than life in London and New York. Try google again. So liveable cities are not measured by the number of people and dumped vehicles.
You are quite happy that Fashola is sending easterners back, wow. Imagine Alaba, trade fair and Ladipo without Easterners, Lagos will just turn into a ghost city. Atleast that will give you the long awaited chance to throw owambe parties in the middle of Oshodi- Apapa express way.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by sparko1(m): 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
O_D_B:

pls fill in your burthurt!

That explain everything, for the record i don't feel insulted by any of your comment, it is only an insane man that will say Lagos is ok the way it is. i just think you make reasonable comment instead of posting dirty pictures, so now fill your butthurt since you are the only ashamed of were you live, get a life my friend.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by basher(m): 6:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nigeria is cursed with corrupt & inept rulers. Despite all the billions of dollars poured into Lagos when it was our capital from our colonial invaders up on till the 80's, its still mostly a mega ghetto?

Methinks that they should still have kept Lagos as a federal territory after our capital moved to Abuja, because thats what it essentially is.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by addey(m): 6:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
Super1759: hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha. Guy! You don finish them. This is the end of lagos,infact am reporting you to fashola. Hahahaah

see dis one , no be una block all our toilets wit una strong ! strong! shit . Omo ajokuta mamomi we go soon send una back to where una come from.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Wemmy6284(m): 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ournaija: How many cities in Nigeria are recognized internationally?
GBAM
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by manny4life(m): 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
veraponpo:

Some people conveniently say rubbish. Do you know what they mean by city? So you just believe a place like Enugu, Nnewi, all the Eastern villages are cities. U have just shown your level of understanding. By their rating, a city has other features Enugu does not have: E.g over 10m population- London, Mexico, Lagos,Johannesbourg,etc Pls when next they mention city, dont ever (i beg ) mention Awka, Enugu,Calabar,Abuja,etc. They are villages or towns.

You see yourself? In your bid to discredit other places, you're more confused. Cities are inside a state, or city states, Enugu is a state while Nnewi, Awka and Onitsha are different cities in Anambra state. There are different types of cities either by size or multi level tier govt cities , according to their rating, they're probably referring to "Mega Cities" type standard, NOT small cities. Although, they NEVER specified, they ONLY talked about the indices used in their ratings.

STOP confusing yourself, Nnewi may not have 10+million in population (size) and belong to Mega cities by size but it's indeed a small city of it's standard. For instance, DC does not have a population of 5million let alone 10million but it's 300x economically sound than Lagos. I'm just giving you example why cities rank - either by population, size/land mass etc. I can give you several cities with <5million people, but they're economically sound.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by gidson12(m): 6:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
lagcity:

we are talking about Lagos here, Lagos was rated 3rd worst city in the universe not Aba, for now stick to the Topic and quit having multiple or/gasm over Aba issues

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by occam(m): 6:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
dasparrow:

How many immigrants living in Toronto can afford to live in the 'swanky' neighborhoods of Toronto?

I don't know. One dullard said VI, Lagos is better place than Toronto hence my comment

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by occam(m): 6:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
manny4life:

You see yourself? In your bid to discredit other places, you're more confused. Cities are inside a state, or city states, Enugu is a state while Nnewi, Awka and Onitsha are different cities in Anambra state. There are different types of cities either by size or multi level tier govt cities , according to their rating, they're probably referring to "Mega Cities" type standard, NOT small cities. Although, they NEVER specified, they ONLY talked about the indices used in their ratings.

STOP confusing yourself, [b]Nnewi may not have 10+million in population (size) and belong to Mega cities by size but it's indeed a small city [/b]of it's standard. For instance, DC does not have a population of 5million let alone 10million but it's 300x economically sound than Lagos. I'm just giving you example why cities rank - either by population, size/land mass etc. I can give you several cities with <5million people, but they're economically sound.

Nnewi is a city? c'mon guys get real. In that case Shagamu, Ijebu Ode or Ado Ekiti are cities.

BTW we are talking CITIES here. Don't bring towns/villages with one roundabout into the conversation
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by deshclones(m): 7:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sam Milla:

Stop responding out of hatred and envy.
Some cities listed up there are less than 1 million people. Eg, Helsinki 590,000. Stockholm 850,000 people. Google is your friend.
So throw your hatred out of the window.
You can compare your Lagos with Kano. Down here in the east, we boast of beauty and serenity while you celebrate over population. Life in the two Scandic cities i mentioned is far better than life in London and New York. Try google again. So liveable cities are not measured by the number of people and dumped vehicles.
You are quite happy that Fashola is sending easterners back, wow. Imagine Alaba, trade fair and Ladipo without Easterners, Lagos will just turn into a ghost city. Atleast that will give you the long awaited chance to throw owambe parties in the middle of Oshodi- Apapa express way.

pay the daft amala man no heed...he is bereft of any iota of knowledge and wisdom....he has never set foot outta his mushin enclave hence the reason for his rants and quoting outta context...save your sanity abeg.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by mapet: 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
I think before we vent needless nerve and spleen on some inconsequential ratings, we need to really take stock and look at this in other perspectives.

This is nothing but borne out of a survey. This rating is actually in a context. I doubt how many of you bothered to actually read the article, much more the criteria of the ratings. In surveys, numbers are thrown around and at times you probably want to balance the results with some additional findings.

Be that as it may, I laugh at some of you turning this issue into a contest. I have travelled to South-South from Benin, Warri, Asaba to the east PH, Enugu, Imo and North Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, Kwara, Kogi etc for me, we have a whole lot of work to be done. I am not even taken by the focusless project done in many states in Nigeria. I landed in Sam Mbakwe Airport, I had to ask myself if I just arrived by nightbus to Jibowu. Benin Airport is another sorry sight. You leave a typical airport and the roads that lead you into the city is a sorry sight. Inner the cities needs rework.....so much for the sad part

On the lighter side, I see good works in massive investment in infrastructure like city rail in Lagos, Abuja and PH. These are true cosmopolitan cities if you ask me. I'll probably be looking at per capital income, development indicators, economic indicators, in addition to some of the ones mentioned in the article

You guys should lay off the infantile arguments. I guess the outlook of each location a few years from now will tell. For me, how many states can be self sustaining outside oil?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by manny4life(m): 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
occam:

Nnewi is a city? c'mon guys get real. In that case Shagamu, Ijebu Ode or Ado Ekiti are cities.

BTW we are talking CITIES here. Don't bring towns/villages with one roundabout into the conversation

Like I said, there is NO one definition of "CITY", however, going by major standards of what cities have, if it's by size, population, or whatever fits your boat. Not all cities are megacities, and NOT ALL will have the attributes of megacities.

In you wisdom, you think roundabouts make a city? SMH, this is the ignorance killing Nigerians. I'm glad that the report did not lie- they were VERY SPECIFIC about the indices used(stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure.).

There you have it, those where the variable used, so if on a scale of 100%, Nnewi has good economic stability, healthcare, ranks good in education and clean infrastructure, etc, it may not be a megacity, BUT it's still a city. In VA where I live, counties or more or less cities...

BTW, I have no beaf with no one, ALL I'm saying is a city doesn't have to mega cities, each of them are in their different classes. Do I know if Nnewi,Shagamu, Ijebu Ode or Ado Ekiti are cities, idk, that determines what class/tier you place them in.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by gregg2: 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
[quote
author=gregg2]Lagos is one huge dustbin and we live like pigs here.
Funny how ACN is quick at finding faults with Fed govt but cannot
deliver us a liveable city [/quote]
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nonybb: 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
grin grin grin grin atleast i knw one city we were better of: dhaka... Nobdy residing in dhaka should insult me
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by bilms(m): 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
what position was lagos before fashola,the supposed working governor took over?
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by bashr8: 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
are they talking about lagos as a state or ikeja or lagos island? anyway its no secret, lagos is hell on earth but for some weird reason people residing there think its the best thing that ever happened to them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by basher(m): 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
addey:

why u no go back to ur village

The day you go back to Iseyin, Offa or Ijebu-Ibo, we will all pack our load on top ketekete and follow suite.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by vivalavida(m): 8:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
And where do u find the happiest fellas? Dirty or not,keep your report to yourself.Come to gidi and see the real life.Gbogbo hustling and gbogbo enjoyment.
Op,which state do u reside by the way?
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
I quite agree Lagos is one of the worst cities to live in, but being the third worst is contestable. I doubt that ranking.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
vivalavida: Come to GIDI and see the real life.Gbogbo hustling and gbogbo enjoyment.

Lolz...
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Princessaleeza: 8:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
Super1759: I don't know why I just hate that garbage city called LAGOS
Becos u dont av access 2 it dat is y u prefer it 2 ur local village.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by ocelot2006(m): 8:46pm On Aug 16, 2012
Well.....they're kinda right. I hate living in Lagos with a passion. I hate the crazy traffic jams, the congestion, the garbage and water-logged roads, the algea-infested walls of buildings in some areas, and the stench. The last time I was in Lagos, I couldn't wait to get out. Hell, the drive back to MMA was the best drive I had there, cos I was about to board a flight out of there!

To be fair, the island (VI, Ikoyi etc) was definitely ok.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
Love Lagos die,and that being said as a proud Nigerian,i will go further and just say,Lagos dirty no be small.leave naija and see,u go vex for every wey stay lagos and who ever has been gov of that state
what makes it annoying is that Lagos basically has almost all to be one of the best in the world but we will always be who we are

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Air May Not Fly To US, Ethiopian Airline Subsumes It / Dana Air Gifts Hilda Baci, Mother Free Tickets For Domestic Travels / Which Airlines Have The Cheapest Tickets From Lagos To London.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.